Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Alice In Chains
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 211353 times)
Estranged One
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

? ?
NO LAYNE=NO ALICE IN CHAINS.? ?

If thats your opinion, fine. However as already mentioned Cantrell was the main creative force in that band. If you haven't heard them, you should check out his solo albums. You would be hard pressed to find any songs on them that couldnt pass for a new AIC song.? peace

Yes I have heard them. Geez, I don't post on things I have no clue about.  I have "Boggy Depot" and both versions of "Degradation Trip".  Both are decent.  I am hard pressed to find but a few that could pass for a new AIC song though.  Really only 2 hit really close "Jesus Hands" from the first and "Bargain Basement Howard Hughes" from the second. 

This "as already mentioned" shit is ridiculous though. The person who stated this earlier opinion (Neemo) is very high on my list of class-acts on this site.  But I don't need someone saying "as already mentioned" to me like I'm an idiot because my opinion is different.  Yes, Cantrell was a huge contributor in terms  of writing music and lyrics.   Layne did  not write as much as Jerry.  But Layne added his fantastic emotion (sometimes lack of) and voice to the mix that were vital.   Layne also collaborated with quite a few of the songs lyrically.

My opinion (and apparantley several others judging from Cantrell's sucess versus AIC) is both were vital and neither could be replaced.  That doesn't mean that I am not glad to see the rest of the band playing again, or don't respect other peoples difference in opinions.  Just don't try and belittle mine because I don't echo your feelings.

rr1683
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »

? ?
NO LAYNE=NO ALICE IN CHAINS.? ?

If thats your opinion, fine. However as already mentioned Cantrell was the main creative force in that band. If you haven't heard them, you should check out his solo albums. You would be hard pressed to find any songs on them that couldnt pass for a new AIC song.? peace

You have got to be kidding.  This is as close to AIC as VR is to Guns N Roses.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2006, 10:23:43 AM »

I am a HUGE AIC fan and have read both sides from you guys and have to say a couple of things.? I don't think it is about just the money.? Musicians love to play, it's what they do.? AIC was a fantastic band, so it is not that strange the band would want to record again.

With that said, someone talked about Kurt being the force behind Nirvana.? That is inarguably true.? BUT is not Dave pretty good in his own right? And what about Krist??? I think the SAME is true about Layne Staley.? Yeah, (Sadly) Layne was indeed pretty fucked up on Heroin at the end, but wasn't Kurt also pretty deep into the abyss of drugs??? Layne had a VERY unique voice and I think he was the driving force behind the Chains very much similar to the way Kurt was to Nirvana.? NO KURT=NO NIRVANA? ? ?NO LAYNE=NO ALICE IN CHAINS.? ?

This is kind of going out into left field now, but since there are some AIC fans here...Does ANYBODY have info on where I can get "Bite the Bullet"?? It is from the infamous "treehouse demos'' and is the ONLY legit song I don't have by AIC.

Thanks!?
? ?

Are they even recording again? I understood it was just a live gig. Yes Dav Grohl is Fucking Brilliant but never got the chance to do anything creative for Nirvana, Like 1 song i think and it was a rare track Not even a b-side hihi . Not sure about Krist's involvement in the SOng Writing process, but he was there from day 1. Kurt did go to rehab, Layne refused. and yeah I agree AIC wouldn't have made it without Cantrell and Staley together as a tandem. I'll see if i can track down Bite the Bullet for you ok

The person who stated this earlier opinion (Neemo) is very high on my list of class-acts on this site. But I don't need someone saying "as already mentioned" to me like I'm an idiot because my opinion is different.

I'm hoping that is a good thing Embarrassed if it's not then I'm not gonna give you that track if i find it rofl peace

I'm thinking one song on the 2 albums could pass for AIC, "Cut You In" from boggy depot
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:27:21 AM by Neemo » Logged

Estranged One
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2006, 12:25:49 PM »

The person who stated this earlier opinion (Neemo) is very high on my list of class-acts on this site. But I don't need someone saying "as already mentioned" to me like I'm an idiot because my opinion is different.

I'm hoping that is a good thing Embarrassed if it's not then I'm not gonna give you that track if i find it rofl peace

I'm thinking one song on the 2 albums could pass for AIC, "Cut You In" from boggy depot

Yeah bro, definitely a good thing.  You and about 5 others is the reason I joined this site.  You post for 2 reasons: to either help someone out or because you have something (besides cutdowns or other bullshit) to contribute.  I am so sick of the "Newbie" treatment shit.  I have lots to contribute too and have been coming to this site  for years, just didn't have the time to join until recently.

Very good point about "Cut You In" too, that one I forgot. It would fit in perfectly on "Tripod" or "Jar of Flies". 

I don't know if they (AIC) are going to be doing studio or not but if it helps until then, I have the Tsunami Benefit stuff and will be glad to hook you up with it.   beer   
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2006, 04:56:39 PM »

Launch Radio Networks reports: The surviving members of ALICE IN CHAINS returned to the stage for only the second time since 1996 on Friday night (March 10) at the Trump Taj Mahal resort in Atlantic City, New Jersey, for the taping of a new episode of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!". The show, a tribute to HEART, also featured appearances by former JANE'S ADDICTION guitarist Dave Navarro, "American Idol" winner Carrie Underwood and singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright, as well as HEART itself. But aside from the headliners, it was clearly ALICE IN CHAINS that a large portion of the crowd was there to see, judging from the fanatical audience reaction.

ALICE IN CHAINS opened the evening with a four-song set. COMES WITH THE FALL singer William DuVall, who has also performed in ALICE guitarist Jerry Cantrell's solo band, sang the first two songs, "Angry Chair" and "Man In The Box".

For "Them Bones" and "Would?" ALICE IN CHAINS brought out ex-PANTERA vocalist Philip Anselmo, making one of his rare live appearances since the death of former PANTERA guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott in December of 2004.

VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan joined the group on second guitar for its entire set, which the band dedicated to Abbott and late ALICE IN CHAINS frontman Layne Staley, who died in 2002.

ALICE IN CHAINS returned at the end of the night for "Rooster", to which HEART singer Ann Wilson contributed vocals. Cantrell, McKagan and Navarro stuck around to join HEART on "Barracuda".

ALICE IN CHAINS bassist Mike Inez pulled double duty, playing for both ALICE IN CHAINS and HEART.

The show is scheduled to premiere on VH1 Classic on May 5.

The reunited group will tour this summer, although it has not been determined if it will use one vocalist or a rotating cast. European festival dates have been confirmed, with U.S. club shows likely for the end of May and a full North American trek possible for the fall.

The band, which also features Sean Kinney on drums, performed for the first time in nine years at a tsunami benefit in Seattle in February of 2005, where they were joined on vocals by Ann Wilson, TOOL frontman Maynard James Keenan, PUDDLE OF MUDD's Wes Scantlin and others.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:57 PM »

Launch Radio Networks reports: ALICE IN CHAINS made only its second live appearance in a decade on Friday night (March 10), when the surviving members of the group performed at a taping of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!" The event kicked off a new round of activity for the band, which plans to tour both the U.S. and Europe this year. Guitarist Jerry Cantrell told Launch that one of the main reasons for the group's return is to honor the memory of its late lead singer, Layne Staley. "It hurt enough to lose the guy, but to have him just totally swept under the carpet when he died was an insult," he said. "But, you know, we don't have any control over that, and we were lucky enough to spend time with the guy and call him our friend, you know, and we lived and we built this thing, and it's totally about honoring Layne and honoring the music and celebrating, and it's also about celebrating us being alive and being together."

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2006, 01:07:17 AM »

This "as already mentioned" shit is ridiculous though. The person who stated this earlier opinion (Neemo) is very high on my list of class-acts on this site.? But I don't need someone saying "as already mentioned" to me like I'm an idiot because my opinion is different.?

I made that comment to acknowledge that someone had already made the point, and we didnt have to read a wasted post of "I already said that". If you thought it was a personal attack at you, than you have bigger issues to deal with than a re-united AIC. peace

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Estranged One
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »

If thats your opinion, fine. However as already mentioned Cantrell was the main creative force in that band. If you haven't heard them, you should check out his solo albums. You would be hard pressed to find any songs on them that couldnt pass for a new AIC song. 

Above is your reaction to me saying No Layne=No AIC.  "As already mentioned" in this respect is like saying "Regardless of your opinion....".  Maybe you didn't mean it to be condescending but it came off that way. If you didn't (intend it that way) please accept my apologies.  That's the bad thing about the written word it comes off wrong sometimes. 

Anything else we need to talk about just PM me.
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2006, 02:48:07 PM »

Those songs from Facelift must be in a future setlist, besides Man In The Box and We Die Young which were always there i would like to hear Sunshine or Put You Down again.

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »

A couple of people have said here that Jerry's solo albums don't compare to AIC's albums, but I think they could easily stand alongside the best of AIC, especially songs on Degradation Trip. Songs like What It Takes, Spiderbite, Solitude, Cast Away, Thanks Anyway, Bargain Basement Howard Hughes, Psychotic Break...

Hell, nearly every song on there reminds me of AIC in some way, even his vocals sound reminscent of Layne on some songs.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »

People, it's the same band as before, with a different voice(s).

Same band, same songwriting... different voice and maybe attitude.

I owuld see them

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2006, 05:05:52 PM »

Layne wrote a lot of lyrics in Alice In Chains.
Plus, you can't match those harmonies he done.
The vocal layering on their last CD is insane.

I really don't see the point of a new Alice In Chains. It's nice to keep a flame going, but when your singer dies, you should just give it a rest. Especially considering the band was pretty much finished before the singer died....
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2006, 12:32:52 PM »

From the Vh1's Decades Rock Live. See if you can recognize everyone.

And from Jerry's Bday? Grin

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2006, 03:48:08 PM »

Launch Radio Networks is reporting that the reunited ALICE IN CHAINS will play at least five shows in the U.S. before heading overseas for a series of summer European dates. The band have revealed on their web site that the first date of their U.S. tour will be May 18. No city or venue has been named yet, but a message posted at the site reads, "While we can't yet share too many details about this tour, we can tell you that all the venues will be clubs, which will give fans an intimate AIC experience. We can also tell you that every city the band plays in has its own major league baseball team."

The band has also confirmed that COMES WITH THE FALL vocalist/guitarist William DuVall will sing lead vocals for the group on its upcoming run, along with a few "special guests."

DuVall performed two songs with ALICE IN CHAINS last month in New Jersey at a taping of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!". He has also sung ALICE IN CHAINS material as part of guitarist Jerry Cantrell's solo touring band.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »

MTV.com is reporting that the reunited ALICE IN CHAINS ? guitarist Jerry Cantrell, bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney, along with COMES WITH THE FALL frontman William DuVall ? have booked five very intimate club dates that will act as a primer for the band's European festival tour, beginning May 26 at the Super Bock Super Rock in Portugal.

A spokesperson for the band said while DuVall ? who is a member of Cantrell's touring band ? will act as ALICE's chief frontman, a number of surprise guest vocalists and musicians will take the stage with the band at all five shows. Former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan will be one of those unannounced guests. It's unclear at this point at which shows he'll be slapping the bass.

ALICE IN CHAINS' U.S. tour dates:

May 18 - West Hollywood, CA @ The Roxy
May 19 - San Diego, CA @ House of Blues
May 21 - Chicago, IL @ Metro
May 22 - Boston, MA @ Avalon
May 23 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
Aug. 11 - Sturgis, SD @ 2006 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2006, 12:08:38 PM »

The reunited ALICE IN CHAINS are scheduled to take part in one of Japan's biggest music festivals ? the Udo Music Festival. Set over two days in two different locations, the Udo Music Festival features dozens of acts and about 50,000 concert-goers. And for the first time ever, AIC will be part of the madness. On July 22, the band will play at the Fuji International Speedway and then on July 23 they will perform at the Festival's other location, the Osaka Izumi Otsu Phoenix.

As previously reported, ALICE IN CHAINS have confirmed the five dates and cities for its U.S. mini-tour next month, beginning on May 18 in Los Angeles and ending on the 23 in New York City. The shows will all take place in either small clubs or theatres. These gigs and a previously announced date at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August are the only announced North American shows for the reunited group so far, with European festival dates on tap for June and July. Guitarist Jerry Cantrell, bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney will be joined on vocals by COMES WITH THE FALL frontman William DuVall. However, surprise guest vocalists and musicians are expected to show up at each of the five U.S. dates, with bassist Duff McKagan (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES) already rumored to be coming along as a second guitarist.

It's been 10 years since the last official performance by ALICE IN CHAINS before the 2002 death of singer Layne Staley, and Mike Inez told Launch Radio Networks that the group's fans have waited long enough for them to play again. "Not to put a time limit on it, but if it was 10 years, you know, I think we needed that time to put some space in between it," he said. "It just feels right, and we're coming from a pure spot, and it's just more of a celebration of our music we created. Just one more time around the world. We're gonna bring it to the people and everyone's invited."

The surviving members of the band played together for the first time since 1996 at a Seattle tsunami benefit in February of 2005. They regrouped again in March for a taping of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!", at which plans for more touring and a possible new album were first revealed.

Upcoming ALICE IN CHAINS shows:

May 18 - The Roxy - Los Angeles, CA
May 19 - House of Blues - San Diego, CA
May 21 - Cabaret Metro - Chicago, IL
May 22 - Avalon Ballroom - Boston, MA
May 23 - The Bowery Ballroom - New York, NY
May 26 - Super Bock Super Rock - Lisbon, POR
May 27 - Copera - Granada, SPA
May 28 - Madrid Festimad - Madrid, SPA
May 30 - Santana 27 - Bilbao, SPA
Jun. 02 - Rock am Ring - GER
Jun. 03 - Rock im Park - Nurburg, GER
Jun. 04 - Milan Gods of Metal - Milan, ITA
Jun. 06 - Novesta Hall - Zlin, CZR
Jun. 07 - Spodek - Katowice, POL
Jun. 08 - Pet?fi Csarnok Open Air - Budapest, HUN
Jun. 10 - Download Festival - Donington, UK
Jun. 11 - RDS Download Festival - Dublin, IRE
Jun. 13 - Volkshaus - Zurich, SWI
Jun. 15 - Novarock Festival - Nickelsdorf, AUT
Jun. 16 - Provinssirock Festival - Sein?joki, FIN
Jun. 17 - Hultsfred Festival - Hultsfred, SWE
Jun. 19 - Vega - Copenhagen, DEN
Jun. 20 - Rockefeller - Oslo, NOR
Jun. 22 - Bataclan - Paris, FRA
Jun. 23 - Hellfest - Clisson, FRA
Jun. 24 - Graspop Metal Meeting - Dessel, BEL
Jun. 26 - Razzmatazz - Barcelona, SPA
Jun. 30 - TopVar Rock Fest - Nove Mesto nad Vahom, SK
Jul. 01 - Waldrock - Burgum, NETH
Jul. 02 - Goffert Park - Nijmegen, NETH
Jul. 22 - Udo Music Festival - Fuji International Speedway, JPN
Jul. 23 - Udo Music Festival - Osaka, JPN
Aug. 11 - 2006 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally - Sturgus, SD

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2006, 07:25:28 PM »

ALICE IN CHAINS will be making a "massive" announcement via their official web site, AliceInChains.com, on May 15 at around 4:00 p.m. PST. "It's so big that we can't even hint at what it's about but we can tell you that you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't stop by the site at around 4:00 p.m. PST on Monday," the band write in their newsletter.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2006, 12:43:59 AM »

Perhaps a new album?  I do hope so.  AIC was the best of the Seattle scene by far.
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2006, 04:08:23 PM »

Launch Radio Networks reports: Although news broke online late Tuesday (May 9) that ALICE IN CHAINS would be making a "massive" announcement on its website this Monday (May 15), a representative for the band's management told Launch yesterday (Wednesday, May 10) to disregard that notice, chalking it up to an "overenthusiastic" fan club moderator. The item about the big revelation has since disappeared from the site.

damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2006, 05:00:02 AM »

lets say axl rose died tomorrow?   

is it ok for slash and duff to get a new singer and go out as GNR?

I would rather listen to the surviving members play the songs with no one singing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: