Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:49:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227868 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Post your own Contraband review here
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your own Contraband review here  (Read 238175 times)
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2004, 11:39:56 AM »

Haha, you?  An angel?  Aren't you the one who complained because her boyfriend got upset at her for fucking other guys?   hihi
lol shut up you! hihi and he doesn't get upset, he just doesn't like it  Tongue  
meh im a slut, ok, i admit that, hard to deny it here, some of the members know all too well i am  hihi  but that doesn't mean im a freak! other than the slut thing i really am a pawwwfetc little angel!

nervous why won't anyone believe me?? nervous

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2004, 06:44:41 PM »

I got a Q for you guys... what do you think of the first song?
personally i think it's a bit weak for an opener  Undecided
so what do you think?  nervous

STB is great. With the sirens a blaring it gets you in the mood. If you see them live and come out to STB you'll love the song.  Its a great way to start the album it sets the mood, What would be a better start? FTP?  

STB is a great way to start your album.

Also the one thing I would like to see on the second album is some of the Izzy songs with his lyrics or I'd like to see Duff write some, its a hard time relating to all scott's lyrics and I think Duff could and something, Just one Duff song!

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2004, 08:51:05 PM »

Ok, here?s my personal review.I have also added some comarations with other artsits/songs.

Sucker Train Blues
Awsome opener.One of my favourites rockers.Awsome vocals (very srtong!).Some very cool Slash licks and  pretty wild good solo (I love the way the whamy bar sounds).
9/10

Do It For The Kids
The first part (when Scott screams "went to fast...." and that riff remainds me to Nirvana.But then Slash comes in and the first little solo reminds me to YCBM.What I like most of this song is the chorus, the pre-solo bridge and the solo (againn the whammy bar!!)Although here some guitar parts sound hurried (I mean it seems some guitar parts were recorded in a short period of time and Slaash didn?t worked too much on it)
8/10

Big Machine
Cool intro by Duff, but I would prefer it clean and not distotioned.Really heavy one, I really dig it.Slash sounds very wild with his licks.The typical Scott voice very cool.
7/10

Illegal I Song
Matt is on the spot here.His best work on the hole album.Scott sounds, like, younger, dunno if you understand what I mean....The chorus of this songs seems to be inspired on the "Showtime for Stangers" part of Do It For The Kids.Cool (but too short) Slash solo, not that wild this time, but more rocker.
7/10

Spectacle
Cool one.I think of this song as the punk-rock one (especially in the chorus)I dont quiet like the lyrics here.This may be the only song were I dont really dig Slash?s solo.
6/10

Fall To Pieces
Finally a ballad!!!Awsome, really dig it.I think Slash (by his solo) and Scott (by his voice and lyrics) are the ones that shine in this song.
OH!!!!THE SOLO!!!Classsiiiccccc!!Along with Slither?s one, the best solo!!!
10/10

Headspace
The first riff reminds me to Korn?s "I did my time" (or something like that).Slash{s solo isnt that awsome, but cool.
8/10

Superhuman
Dont really like the riff.The week track if u ask me.
6/10

Set Me Free
Rock and Fucking Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!Awsome solo, Duff sounds great, Scott sings amazingly!!
Cool catchy chorus, and I love the My Freedom part.
10/10

You Got No Right
SO mellow!!I love it.I fucking love it.Very good acustic work and great solo SLash.Cool way of singing by Scott!!I really like where he sings the part of "Funny right here I found myself...."
10/10

Slither
Best Rocker along with Set Me Free!!!Aesome effect work by Dave on the intro and WIIILLDDD SOLO.I actually hit my head to a door once when the solo gets very fast and wild!!!! hihi
10/10

Dirtty Little Thing
Like Dizzy, the bass line reminds me to It?s So Easy.But I think the vocals are in some places too similar to STB so thats something bad.Fortunatley the solo saves it.Maybie too shreder but cool.And maybie the sound of the guitar solo isn?t the best one but cool equaly.
7/10

Loving The Aliens
Dunno who makes those weird guitar sounds (probably Dave but....) but they rock.So beautiful.Maybie too pop but really cool I love it, no problem with a bit of pop.Those bends on the second verse are so slow and relaxing.Exept the part of "I never noticed   how lovely were the aliens" (Huh) the lyrics are very cool.Oh, the solo, so sweet.This is one of those songs that when you hear it you feel like crying.So beautifull.
13/10

Overall
Best album in a lot of years.Prbably best album since the UYI albums.Velvet Revolver, my 2nd fav band!!!!If the album hadn?t that couple of flaw songs I would give it a 10 but since they are there my veredict is:
9/10

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2004, 11:06:03 PM »

I got a Q for you guys... what do you think of the first song?
personally i think it's a bit weak for an opener ?Undecided
so what do you think? ?nervous

I love it!! The louder the better. They start the show with it and it kicks off a good 90 minutes of pure R n' R. It is a great song and one of the best I have heard in recent memory from contemporary "rock." I cannnot think of  a better opening from the album than STB.
RichardNixon
« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2004, 07:58:26 AM »

I really like this album a lot. I am a big fan of both GN'R and STP and this album didn't disapoint me.

I think that the new VR album will be even better, now that they have really jelled. I really wish that Kushner would leave and Izzy would take his place though.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #345 on: August 06, 2004, 02:38:33 PM »

This album kicks ass all the way through, it's a very well rounded album with good hard rocker and cool ballads... It will be in my cd rotation for years as it is ever since june 7th..

They will keep rocking and give us another gem in the new year..
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #346 on: August 06, 2004, 02:40:02 PM »

I really like this album a lot. I am a big fan of both GN'R and STP and this album didn't disapoint me.

I think that the new VR album will be even better, now that they have really jelled. I really wish that Kushner would leave and Izzy would take his place though.

I agree with everything except izzy, I loved izzy back in theday but he seems to be more of a drifter and not reliable , plus dave is a good guy, why fix what isn't broken..?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #347 on: August 09, 2004, 08:14:02 AM »

it's been about two months since the album was released. overall, i can only give it a 7. i'm definitely a little disappointed.

at first i wasn't impressed at all. but after a few listens it really grew on me. for a couple weeks i was loving it, playing it every day in my car. but i listened to it yesterday after not playing it for about 2 weeks and it let me down again.

has anyone else experienced the same thing?

it's a good album, definitely not a great one. i don't think there's one truly great song on there - although fall to pieces comes close. i'm a big fan of songs that are on the heavy side, and there's not one song that just rocks hard beginning to end. IMO, not a single song on this album will be played on the radio 10 years from now, or more importantly, in my cd player.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
aporro
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #348 on: August 10, 2004, 12:25:11 PM »

How can you be so adament about not liking Contraband.  The sound on the album is great and shows how the band has evolved through the times.  The new songs rock.  It will take people some time to get used to Scott but we all need to get used to it.  Luckily, I'm a big fan of STP and GNR so I feel the mixture of Scott and the boys from Guns is great.

You should catch them live.  It was great and dare I say that Scott sounded way better than Axl.  I'm as big an Axl fan as there is but the man's vocals are not always great during live performances.

Peace out!
aporro
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2004, 12:28:24 PM »

Madagascar better than songs in AFD?  Are you kidding me.  Madagascar sounds like a remix of Estranged.  Axl spends a decade away to remake songs that should've been in Illusions II.  Velvet Revolver will have greater success than Axl and his band of journeymen.
aporro
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #350 on: August 10, 2004, 12:32:32 PM »

Sucker train blues weak?  hmm, let's see:::  NOOOOO!!!  Are you kidding me?  The song rocks and it's great live.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #351 on: August 10, 2004, 01:00:38 PM »

omg ur so right, i saw them live and when i saw weiland come out with his fuckin' cop hat and tie and the band bustin' out suckertrain, i was blown away.? It really is a great song, awesome intro and riff, cool chorus, great solo, amazing opener, reallly gets u in the mood.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 01:03:55 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2004, 01:14:03 PM »

it's been about two months since the album was released. overall, i can only give it a 7. i'm definitely a little disappointed.

at first i wasn't impressed at all. but after a few listens it really grew on me. for a couple weeks i was loving it, playing it every day in my car. but i listened to it yesterday after not playing it for about 2 weeks and it let me down again.

has anyone else experienced the same thing?

it's a good album, definitely not a great one. i don't think there's one truly great song on there - although fall to pieces comes close. i'm a big fan of songs that are on the heavy side, and there's not one song that just rocks hard beginning to end. IMO, not a single song on this album will be played on the radio 10 years from now, or more importantly, in my cd player.

I have similar feelings about it.

At first it did nothing. "Is this it?" was how I felt about it. Then I listened to it some more and started to appreciate it more, but it's still not a great album for me. I still can't get into certain songs on it.

I can't relate to certain fans who say it's a 9/10 or 10/10 album because if their second album is better, what grade would it get? I mean, is this the best they can do? 10/10 is supposed to be perfect..... It's not perfect in my opinion.

I'm sure the songs are more suited to be heard in a live setting though (or I hope so).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
RichardNixon
« Reply #353 on: August 12, 2004, 01:20:10 AM »

I've been listened to the album for the first time in about a month. I really enjoyed it. I would have to give it a 9 out of 10. It's a really really great record, IMHO. Fast and furious with great hooks.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #354 on: August 17, 2004, 03:28:29 PM »

Great album but a lot different in style and tone from AFD and Slash's usual playing...
Sucker Train Blues is excellent and so is You Got No Right (esp. the solo) ...

Different but definitely good! Smiley

Fuck 'Em All.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #355 on: August 18, 2004, 02:01:56 AM »

Ok I will give my 1-10 rating now that I have had sometime to soak up this kick ass album. I give it 8.2/10 which is pretty damn good. Appetite being my favorite of all time gets a 9.4/10

1. Sucker Train Blues     9
2. Do It For The Kids     5
3. Big Machine               8.5
4. Illegal i Song             7.5
5. Spectacle                  5.5
6. Fall To Pieces            6.5
7. Headspace               7
8. Superhuman             9
9. Set Me Free              8
10. You Got No Right    10     
11. Slither                     10
12. Dirty Little Thing     10     
13. Loving The Alien     10

Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #356 on: September 20, 2004, 01:27:32 AM »

I listened to it a few times when I got it, but then I sort of lost interest...I saw it as an album that was merely okay, with a few good songs, but nothing too great.  I think the Fall To Pieces video got me to put it on again.  For some reason I've been listening to it a lot over the past few days, and I'm really starting to appreciate it.  Of course all the ballads are incredible, but the rockers are starting to grow on me more.  I always loved Slither and Set Me Free, of coures, as well as Do It For The Kids and Big Machine.  But I'm starting to enjoy Sucker Train Blues and Superhuman, too - I got them both stuck in my head the other day, which is a good thing.  Some of the other rockers I still skip over, though.  I ALWAYS skip over Illegal i and...and the one after Illegal i.  I'm drawing a blank...that might tell you what I think of the song.  Same for Dirty Little Thing.  But the album certainly is growing on me.  You Got No Right and Slither are my fave tunes on it, I think.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #357 on: September 20, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »

If I were to write a review of the album in june, i'd have given it a 10/10.. but after a few more months of listening, the songs just seem very mediocre.. the music is top notch.. i love it but the lack of variety in the vocals and the strange lyrics really get under my skin.. i give the album 7/10.. suckertrain blues, super human, set me free, slither are great rockers.. i especially like super human because its about coccaine.. and it reminds me alot of scarface (one of my fav movies) where at the end he's just snorting up a mountain of coke and becomes practically invinceble.. he becomes "super human" hihi so that's the reason i loved that song. i liked fall to pieces too.. i didnt think it was all that special but it was really nice. my review's not a great one i know and please dont base your judgement whether to buy or not to buy the album (if you havent already) on my review.. so basically, its a great album, and do yourself a favor, and have a listen.. i guarantee you its one of the best albums of 2004..

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #358 on: September 21, 2004, 05:05:28 AM »

I listened to it a few times when I got it, but then I sort of lost interest...I saw it as an album that was merely okay, with a few good songs, but nothing too great.? I think the Fall To Pieces video got me to put it on again.? For some reason I've been listening to it a lot over the past few days, and I'm really starting to appreciate it.? Of course all the ballads are incredible, but the rockers are starting to grow on me more.? I always loved Slither and Set Me Free, of coures, as well as Do It For The Kids and Big Machine.? But I'm starting to enjoy Sucker Train Blues and Superhuman, too - I got them both stuck in my head the other day, which is a good thing.? Some of the other rockers I still skip over, though.? I ALWAYS skip over Illegal i and...and the one after Illegal i.? I'm drawing a blank...that might tell you what I think of the song.? Same for Dirty Little Thing.? But the album certainly is growing on me.? You Got No Right and Slither are my fave tunes on it, I think.

Just goes to show you how varied the tastes are of fans on this board, because I think Illegal I and Spectacle (the other song you're referring to) are two of the best songs on the album. The solo in Spectacle is one my favourite Slash solos ever and the whole song has a real sense of urgency to it, it kinda reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age's "Go With The Flow".
And Illegal I is really in yer face with it's really cool drumming.

Contraband isn't the best album I own, but it's a damn fine debut and I guess future releases from VR will only get better. beer
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 05:18:24 AM by metallex78 » Logged

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
JDE
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #359 on: September 21, 2004, 07:55:52 PM »

I just finally started to really get into the album  Shocked

To me this band is all about the rockers.  I Honestly believe tunes like fall to pieces ( Horrible choice for second single) and you got no right are not where the band exactly shines.  Though I can appreciate loving the alien, even though it gets tiresome pretty quick.

To me this band fires on all cylinders when they rock out.  Headspace is without a doubt the best song on the album.  peace
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: