Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Post your own Contraband review here
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your own Contraband review here  (Read 238174 times)
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2004, 01:32:29 AM »

Ha!
Ive been waiting to post this up for quite a while. I bought the album in Israel at the end of June, so it was really killing me when I was reading these reviews on HTGTH and I wanted to contribute.
I feel like Ive come to know the album well enough to finally lend a review.

*{Please note that before I even type one word on the review, I would like to note that Scott Weiland is the WORST songwriter ever - he is truly driven by drugs - though he is probably snorting a lot of coke because his music is very energetic. It doesn't hurt that he has 3/5ths of GNR backing him up}
-"Somebody raped my tapeworm abortion, come on mutherfuckers and deliver the cow" Grin
-There's many more examples, but I'll just focus the rest of the review on the music of VR

"Suckertrain Blues" - Awesome song, full of energy. The perfect song to kick off the album. Rhythm section and sirens blaring, this song really hits me like a sucker train. The song with the most energy on the album. It reminds me a bit of "Right Next Door to Hell" by GNR. Lyrics of course stink, but who cares when GNR rock n roll abilities return after a 10 hiatus with a sober but lethal punch in the face. Shocked
9/10

"Do It For The Kids" - A song that grew on me with the more I listened to it. A song with sustained energy throughout, though it seems (or I seem) to feed off the energy of "Suckertrain Blues". Nice melody - very catchy - I could listen to this one all the time after STB without skipping it. One of the better songs on the album.
8/10 Cool

"Big Machine" - Great rhythm start as well - almost 80's style with the thumping bass and drums. Very catchy too. This one took less listens to like, but sometimes the song would nag me and not leave my head leaving me very annoyed. Literally! It ruined some of my nites of sleeping. For that I gotta take off a solid point.
7/10 Cheesy

"Illegal i Song" - I skipped this song a lot until lately. Sounds a bit influenced by Janes Addiction. The chorus is pretty good. Overall an average song.
5/10 Huh

"Spectacle" - Another I would skip on my way to FTP all summer, until recently. Actually, I would even skip this song too. Even weaker than the previous number. Only a semi-decent hook and some sheer energy of the players keeps it from going completely under. Don't waste your time with this one. nervous
3/10

"Fall to Pieces" - What hasn't been said about this song yet? I personally don;t think it comes near SCOM comparisons, but it definitly stands out as the most "radio" of the VR songs. A nice song with the GNR shifts of intensity - from a sweet accoustic ballad at the beginning to a hard rock ballad. I think its more like a "Don't CRy" (even though the lyrics don't nearly come even close to Axl's on that song). Song definitly illustrates great chemistry between Scott/STP and GNR. A blistering Slash solo (his best solo since Suckertrain Blues) will top off the great melodies.
9.5/10 Grin

"Headspace" - Another song I would skip on my way to my favorite song on the album. Another great hook with some solid rhythm work. HOwever, it seems to follow a disturbing pattern with some of the medirocre work on this album - just throw a Slash solo in there to keep it from going under.
3.5/10 no

"Superhuman" - The beginning for what has become for me the most heavy section of Contraband (ending with "Dirty Little Thing". The song is very Alice in Chainsesque. The solo work in the beginning defintly threw me off at first, but provides a great framework for the rhythm on the song. Song is full of drugs - which seems to have been a bit overeemphasized on Contraband. Chorus is cool as Scott names off his good friends.
7/10  Wink

"Set Me Free" - BEST SONG ON CONTRABAND  peace  peace
The song that ushered material from VR is the best song they have put out. Great musicianship all-roud, the best drumming from Matt Sorum - the most blistering solo from Slash. The song has different tempos that keep you on your seat. With the rising volumes of Scott Weiland prior to his singing the chorus, emotions build as he finally declares "SET ME FREE!!!" Even Slash's solo grow and acclimates in pitch and sound that with the background of powerful musicianship builds the song to its climax. The best song made by the Gunners (POST GNR). Better than anything that Axl and the new GNR have put out thus far - this song has the most energy and the lyrics make enough sense to have you running and gunning for your hardest when listening to it. Its only a shame that VR never eclipsed this song - otherwise they would be the biggest things out there since - GNR themselves.
10/10  peace peace peace

"You Got No Right" - A song that seems to take a page from the Chapter of Rock N' Roll called "Limp Bizkit". Unless it is Scott that influences Fred Durst's style or vice versa, he clearly sounds like the nookie guy. Lyrics on this song are the heaviest on the album - definitly something that Scott pulled out of himself - like a confession. Hook feels like its been there and done in Rock n Roll which kinda takes away from its power. Its solo by Slash sounds like a rip off of Joe Perry's from "Livin on the Edge". A strong song that I know its a favorite by the VR fans, but not one of mine.
8/10  Smiley

"Slither" - A favorite from early on. The song has the strongest beginning, (first only to STB). Great momentum leads to great song - the perfect choice for the first single on the album. A blistering Slash solo does not dissapoint. The lyrics make enough sense - hell even the video was hot. Defintly something that eased its way to the MTV rotation.
9.5/10  Cool Grin

"Dirty Little Mind" - A song that grew on me towards the end of the summer. Sounds pretty powerful, with enough melody to keep it together. Nice energetic song.
8.5/10 Cool

"Loving the Alien" - A nice mellow song - the first taste of it since the mellow moments in YGNR. A nice way to end the album, but not at all a standout track. Kind of a weak track to end the album.
6.5/10  Tongue

MY FINAL IMPRESSION of this album is that it shows a lot of potential for this band to grow and improve their chemistry together. Very strong tracks are unfortunately bridged by some very medirocre songs that could not have taken VR more than a day to process. Also seems that VR took a little too much from other rockers instead of developing their own style.
Nonetheless, there's no greater satisfaction (aside from a GNR comeback) than a comeback for 4 rock n' rollers who have been through tough times and had a lot to prove, Well by and large, they proved they could still rock. Scoot needs to works on lyrics, but aside from that, GNR s alumni are still a tight group together. They defintly earned their platinum success.
I for one love the record despite its glictches. Its become a regular on my rotation along with GNR. It definitly has me tied in until the GNR record comes out and we have 2 bands that rock again...

in the name of GUNS N' FUCKING ROSES

TOTAL: 8.5/10

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2004, 03:13:00 AM »

I still don't understand why people don't like Illegal I song or Spectacle. I think they are two of the best songs on the album.

Maybe because they aren't straight-ahead rockers people don't like them???

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
JDE
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2004, 08:15:49 PM »

I still don't understand why people don't like Illegal I song or Spectacle. I think they are two of the best songs on the album.

Maybe because they aren't straight-ahead rockers people don't like them???

I honestly love both of them and am quite perplexed why people love FTP and YGNR so much  Undecided

Weiland and the boys simply don't have any chemistry in my opinion doing these sappy ballads.  The video for FTP is so damn cheesy it pains me to watch it.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2004, 11:53:58 PM »

"Set Me Free" - BEST SONG ON CONTRABAND? peace? peace
The song that ushered material from VR is the best song they have put out. Great musicianship all-roud, the best drumming from Matt Sorum - the most blistering solo from Slash. The song has different tempos that keep you on your seat. With the rising volumes of Scott Weiland prior to his singing the chorus, emotions build as he finally declares "SET ME FREE!!!" Even Slash's solo grow and acclimates in pitch and sound that with the background of powerful musicianship builds the song to its climax. The best song made by the Gunners (POST GNR). Better than anything that Axl and the new GNR have put out thus far - this song has the most energy and the lyrics make enough sense to have you running and gunning for your hardest when listening to it. Its only a shame that VR never eclipsed this song - otherwise they would be the biggest things out there since - GNR themselves.
10/10? peace peace peace

I share your basic sentiment...

I love "Set Me Free".  yes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #364 on: September 23, 2004, 12:33:10 AM »

u guys have got to be fuckin jokin right?HuhHuh??

set me free? are u serious?

cmon booker u dont even believe that do u?

best song on the album?

NO way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #365 on: September 23, 2004, 03:47:46 AM »

best song on the album?

One of them.? I think its a truly great song.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #366 on: September 23, 2004, 04:54:10 AM »

that is the great thing about music i guess how peoples opinions vary so much, one person thinks a song is great another thinks its ok, another thinks it totally sucks, thats music or any form of art.

i personally rank set me free probably 11th or so.

set me free better than anything new gnr has done?

im sorry guys but i cant put set me free above maddy or the blues, i mean seriously, chinese democracyits probably about even with, its better than silk worms,rhiad but not better than oh my god even in my opinion.

set me free was a song that wore out very very fast for me, it was cool for about 2 weeks and i skip it almost always now.

that truly shocked me readin that about set me free. WOW! im actually stunned!

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #367 on: September 23, 2004, 08:50:42 AM »

I love the album, I think slither is an amazing song, just the beat is great.. The album is very complete, has big rockers and cool ballad.. I also think slash does great solos..  YGNR is very good.. The minute you put the album on and hear stb it's uplifting and catchy.. The album end with a pink floyd sounding lta. Very good and underrated, I feel if an unkown did this the'd be getting praised left n right..
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2004, 03:20:06 AM »

u guys have got to be fuckin jokin right?HuhHuh??

set me free? are u serious?

cmon booker u dont even believe that do u?

best song on the album?

NO way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me that with Contraband, ppl have their favs. Im very surprised of the VR and GNR fans that hate on "Set Me Free". Its the song that least bores me (not to say that Suckertrain Blues, Slither, YGNR and Fall To Pieces bore me, because they don't at all - they are exciting to listen and never grow tired) and it was composed well enough that it stands well when compared with GNR material. I think it has more energy and excitement and rock n' roll substance than the BLUES or MADDY or any of the other nu-GNR stuff. Hearing this song allows me to say "GNR lives on!" even if in a different form or with a diferent band name.

peace
MNR

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2004, 01:28:32 PM »

Wow its just the first review ive read that had Set Me Free as the best song on the cd, thats pretty interesting.

I guess maybe the Hulk soundtrack burnt it out for me or something, my fav rocker probably is still Superhuman or even Dirty Little Thing, thats the thing with the rockers on contraband, they are all about equal, i can honestly say i like one better than the other, even sayin superhuman and dirty little thing, i still dont like them anymore than the other rockers

all the rockers are good, to me none are like classic, truly great songs, but they are all listenable and enjoyable.

I love Fall to Pieces more and more everytime i see the video, Damn thats a great video! Scott deserves an award for his performance in that video, he is amazing!

metalhead666
Headliner

« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2004, 04:10:26 PM »

I've listened to the album from beginning to end tons of times and I'm not the least bit disappointed with it. All the songs are very well written and has that classic GN'R sound provided by ex-gunners Slash, Duff, and Matt Sorum. It's an instant future classic rock album without a doubt. Now we await CHI DEM(hoping it will come out eventually)VR RULES!!!!

"If there was a new way I'd be the 1st in line, but it'd better work this time."
dontcry44
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2004, 09:14:38 PM »

Contraband is what you end up with when you are still living in the shadow's of your old band which you will never live up to, and you are anxtious to make a quick buck to make it through another decade... thrus, you recrute a few buddy's and buy someone to sing, jump in the studio, whip up a dozon or so tracks, hire an artist to create a striking cd package, use the fact that you are with your old band (mates) to create media hype and release an album that rockets to the top for maybe a few monthes, then disappears into the bottomless pit of forgotton cd's that we call one hit wonders.... ie. Slither.

It's hard to hold a candle.... in the cold November rain....
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2004, 09:43:43 PM »

Contraband is what you end up with when you are still living in the shadow's of your old band which you will never live up to, and you are anxtious to make a quick buck to make it through another decade... thrus, you recrute a few buddy's and buy someone to sing, jump in the studio, whip up a dozon or so tracks, hire an artist to create a striking cd package, use the fact that you are with your old band (mates) to create media hype and release an album that rockets to the top for maybe a few monthes, then disappears into the bottomless pit of forgotton cd's that we call one hit wonders.... ie. Slither.

I take it you don't like Contraband then. Too bad for you.

I love the album and I'm glad Slash, Duff, Matt, Dave & Scott are out their touring and making new music together. beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2004, 09:47:30 PM »

an album that rockets to the top for maybe a few monthes, then disappears into the bottomless pit of forgotton cd's that we call one hit wonders.... ie. Slither.

Roll Eyes

1) After nearly four months, Contraband is platinum and still in the top 35 album area.

2) Theyve only put out two singles...and both have topped the mainstream rock charts.  So there goes that, huh?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2004, 11:59:11 PM »

an album that rockets to the top for maybe a few monthes, then disappears into the bottomless pit of forgotton cd's that we call one hit wonders.... ie. Slither.

Roll Eyes

1) After nearly four months, Contraband is platinum and still in the top 35 album area.

2) Theyve only put out two singles...and both have topped the mainstream rock charts.? So there goes that, huh?

For sure.

I still hear "Slither" about 3-5 times a day on 3 formats and FTP just as much.

This thing has Audioslave type long legs written all over it...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
sweetchildomine
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #375 on: September 28, 2004, 08:32:49 AM »

you guys are all entitled to your opinions. but for those of u who say its not the 'Guns N Roses' sound - the guns n roses sound can never be recreated.  their music is timeless, and i feel as though VR aren't trying to imitate what the 3 of them had before.  just IMO, VR try to create their own sound, and with comparison to GnR they may never be as good.  it's a tough shadow to be in, but they'll make it.

personall contraband is a pretty good album to me and fall to pieces is a really mad song.  Thumbs up to VR beer
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2004, 01:49:10 PM »

one thing is for certain, VR are 100 times better than Audioslave.

i look forward to seeing what they do on their next album, will they stay the same? or will they take the illusions turn and do different stuff?

its gonna be interesting!

realgunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #377 on: October 06, 2004, 01:08:30 PM »

The Band and the Album; ROCK!  ok

Just as I expected. beer
realgunner
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #378 on: October 06, 2004, 01:20:47 PM »

So, I guess what you like to do is keep waiting for Axl and the whole orchestra to come out with a single, Good Luck!
ledgun
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #379 on: October 21, 2004, 06:33:28 AM »

Compared  to  the  vast  majority  of  crap  out  there  at  the  moment  VR  are  pretty  special, and  theres a  few  really great songs  on  the  album. Sucker Train Blues- great  intro  and a  cool  track, as  are Do It For The Kids and Big Machine. Slither is by far my favourite track-great riff  and  some  dark  lyrics, and the two ballads are also excellent. You Got No Right and Set Me Free  are the final mentionables on the album, good solid efforts, that complete a very respectable debut. Disappointments have already been aired by others- lack of slash solos and its not guns and roses, as well as my own personal gripe, that Bodies song which really leaves a bad taste in the mouth, akin to My World on UYI 11. I wasnt really familiar with Stone Temple Pilots until now, but I think Scott is a great performer.
Anyhoo, overall I think its a really cool album. It makes an effort to create a differant sound to guns but still appeals to die hards, as well as definately having the potential to go a lot deeper than contraband.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: