Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Post your own Contraband review here
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your own Contraband review here  (Read 238173 times)
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #380 on: October 21, 2004, 07:52:37 AM »

I like contraband, but i don't thinks it's a masterpiece. I think mostly everyone was wishing and thinking of contraband beeing that masterpieces, but it doesn't come close, in my opinion, to any of the guns n roses recordings.

Trully, there are some songs that stand above the rest, such as Suckertrain Blues, You got no right (the best), Fall to pieces and Loving the alien, but in general, they lack the epic notes that a lot of gnr tunes do have. I'm sure they didn't even try to do epic songs, but anthems such as gnr rockers or ballads, are way much better than any of the songs by velvet revolver. I guess the only song that would have made a gnr record would be "you got no right".

By the way, i've already got bored of most of the songs in the album, as i now only listen to the above mentioned. This hasn't happend to me with any of the gnr records,  i'll never get bored with them.

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #381 on: October 21, 2004, 11:05:15 AM »

that Bodies song which really leaves a bad taste in the mouth, akin to My World on UYI 1

Huh

Youre actually going to compare "Bodies" to "My World"??

Not a big Sex Pistols fan are you?  Undecided

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2004, 09:04:23 AM »

I've been thinking about the longevity of Contraband. It's been nearly 5 months since its original release and Fall To Pieces is only the second single released from the album (not including Set Me Free) and it seems to have sparked interest in CB and VR again too.

But the thing that makes me wonder about how long this album will keep people's interest is because I've started to work out allot of the guitar parts, like the main riff to Sucker (which fucking rocks!) and Fall To Pieces, and it's like I'm falling in love with the album all over again.
I could easily see myself listening to CB in a few years from now to listen to those great riffs.

It's almost like Slash's understated guitar work on Contraband is all revealing itself to me now and I love it even more than when it first came out.

I'm sure that there are other guitarists out there who feel the same way.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2004, 11:46:29 PM »

I've been thinking about the longevity of Contraband. It's been nearly 5 months since its original release and Fall To Pieces is only the second single released from the album (not including Set Me Free) and it seems to have sparked interest in CB and VR again too.

But the thing that makes me wonder about how long this album will keep people's interest is because I've started to work out allot of the guitar parts, like the main riff to Sucker (which fucking rocks!) and Fall To Pieces, and it's like I'm falling in love with the album all over again.
I could easily see myself listening to CB in a few years from now to listen to those great riffs.

It's almost like Slash's understated guitar work on Contraband is all revealing itself to me now and I love it even more than when it first came out.

I'm sure that there are other guitarists out there who feel the same way.

I was thinking the same thing.  I listen to Contraband more than ever right now... Fall To Pieces and Sucker Train Blues are easily my two favourites to play.  I just learned STB right now, and HOLY FUCK!!  This song is fun as shit to play, not too difficult, but it fuckin ROCKS!!  I've been listening to Fall To Pieces non-stop since I picked up that riff in the chorus.

Personally it's made me appreciate the album a lot more, and I'm very suprised that I still listen to the album with such consistency.  It's weird, I took a small break from the album, but once they released Fall To Pieces I threw it on again, and I've been listening to it like mad.  I'm sure I'll still be blasting this album once CD or the next VR CD comes out (although the latter is more likely).
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #384 on: November 16, 2004, 12:31:49 PM »

it's better then snakepit was.i do know that for sure.i only liked one song from snakepit.but VR i like most of the songs.i'll give it an  ok

the one an only horsey !
groupie
Opening Act

I really need to go to therapy...

« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2004, 06:09:36 PM »

i think that slash, who is the most talented musician in vr, wasn't given enough attention. weiland is terrible and i don't know what the fuck they were thinking when they hired him.
but look on the bright side- at least they've released an album, and that we can't say for axl, who's been fucking us in the brain with his stupid promises.
at least slash didn't let his fans down that way.

and some songs on the album are totally okay.but most of the song aren't that good
wish 'em all luck
 peace smoking love Undecided Cool

"To use the words of my friend Axl, WAKE UP, IT'S TIME TO DIE!!!"
duff, tokyo 1992
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #386 on: December 16, 2004, 08:49:41 PM »

It sucks. Not Rock.Gnr is rock, zeppelin is rock Velvet re frigginvolver is not rock.it is Not good wat a horrible album theres like 2 songs that r good and those r the singles with guns the best songs were always the non singles. Slash, Duff, Matt do yourself a favor and quit now Axl might be looking for you................................... smoking

They just thought Id know better. Better.
aporro
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #387 on: December 17, 2004, 12:49:43 PM »

This album totally kicks ass and when you catch them live, they put on an amazing show. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but these reviews blow.  It's not GNR, STP, or as you'd like to compare Led Zepplin but it still f'n rocks.  It's something new so get over it!!!!!!!  I caught them last weekend and it was great to find people singing along with songs that have not even been released such as Big Machine, Superhuman, and Illegal I.

It's too bad, Axl loving Jarmo had such a negative review during the initial stages of the album release.  I realize this is basically an Axl site and although I dig him also, you all need to enjoy VR.  It's the best there is right now.  No need to get on here and come down on them because Axl is not the lead singer and Slash isn't playing 5 minute solos on each song.  "Smoke 'em if you got 'em, Motherfuckers!"  Enjoy the holidays.
Dufflvr
Opening Act

Yeah, I`m weird...sue me, bitch!

« Reply #388 on: January 03, 2005, 02:40:37 PM »

You can`t expect them to be another GNR, which I think a lot fans wanted. Contraband is an amazing album, in my opinion. I think Weiland did a damn good with singing. No, he can`t compare with Axl, no one can, but he`s a good singer. My favorite tracks are You Got No Right, Loving The Aliens, Big Machine, and Falling To Peices, bar none. I agree with apporo: just because they don`t have 8 minute songs, 5 minute Slash solos, and Axl, doesn`t mean they`re horrrible. Give them a fuckin break. Slash Duff and Matt are happy, let them do whatever they want

Fell to peices, and I`m still falling. VR fan, proud of it!
usurper
« Reply #389 on: January 04, 2005, 09:38:15 AM »

4/10. But that is my opinion.
Gemini Guy
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2005, 10:17:01 AM »

It's a good album but I don't think it'll stand the test of time.  I'm glad it was successful because it gives the guys the chance to write some truly memorable songs in the future.  The songs on Contraband are good but they won't really be remembered as classics.  People will remember the album more than the individual songs.
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #391 on: February 16, 2005, 09:10:27 PM »

A lot of people are pisseed off for no reason, first those of you who bought the cd and expected to hear another gnr album you're an idoit cuz this is VELVET REVOLVER NOT GUNS N ROSES! If they wanted to make a record that sounded like gnr then they would have have just got back into gnr. But since they didn't and rounded up scott and dave they were able to create a whole new sound, succeeded and fucking kicked ass!
RichardNixon
« Reply #392 on: February 18, 2005, 02:51:38 PM »

I already posted my 2 cents on the album, but my opinion hasn't changed. In fact, over time, I've grown to like this album more and more. I really believe that it is the best album to hit the stores in a long, long time.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #393 on: February 21, 2005, 10:46:19 PM »

I already posted my 2 cents on the album, but my opinion hasn't changed. In fact, over time, I've grown to like this album more and more. I really believe that it is the best album to hit the stores in a long, long time.

I agree, still like the album the more I listen to it and am still hearing new stuff all the time. It is definately my favorite rock album to come out in a long ass time... The only song that I can't really say that I like alot is Spectacle....

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #394 on: February 21, 2005, 11:30:22 PM »

I agree, still like the album the more I listen to it and am still hearing new stuff all the time. It is definately my favorite rock album to come out in a long ass time... The only song that I can't really say that I like alot is Spectacle....

Spectacle is still one of my favourites on there, it's just such a rocking song with a killer Slash solo, what don't you like about it just out of curiosity?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
RichardNixon
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2005, 07:51:41 PM »

I think I like "Loving the Alien" the best. That's such  a kick-ass beautiful song. I think it may be one of the top 5 finest songs Scott and Slash have ever been involved in. I really love this band. They are, hands down, the best thing out now.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2005, 10:10:47 PM »

Spectacle is still one of my favourites on there, it's just such a rocking song with a killer Slash solo, what don't you like about it just out of curiosity?

The solo is pretty cool actually. The song just seems boring to me I don't know why. I think it could have been mixed better because there are some guuitar parts in the background that could make it cooler if they stuck out more.  I find the lyrics kinda forced or something and I don't really care for teh way it is sung lol. Just bores me. DIFT kids used to too but that song grew on me so ya never know..But I doubt it  Huh

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2005, 10:20:19 PM »

I think I like "Loving the Alien" the best. That's such? a kick-ass beautiful song. I think it may be one of the top 5 finest songs Scott and Slash have ever been involved in. I really love this band. They are, hands down, the best thing out now.

That is one of my favs too. The song just has so much friggin emotion. I can honestly feel the vibes when it is on. I mean I will be driving around and all of a sudden be in a totally different world. Contraband has grown on me so much and I love the fact that I haven't gotten sick of it yet. I mean there have been a couple intances when I put it away for a couple weeks,but when I start listening to it again it is better than before. Big Machine, Sucker Train and Superhuman have really been doing it for me lately. Isn't it cool that we could have another album 9 months from now???

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #398 on: April 25, 2005, 07:21:04 PM »

No matter what people say...  VR KICKS ASS
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #399 on: April 28, 2005, 03:11:12 PM »

This is one of those albums that you can put off to the side after listening to it to death, and then when you listen to it again its even better.

It really grew on me & can`t wait for the next one. 

Loving the Alien is the best song on it.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: