Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:19:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227866 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Post your own Contraband review here
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your own Contraband review here  (Read 238173 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #400 on: May 02, 2005, 06:16:17 AM »

Ive owned Contraband from almost a year and i still listen to it religiously when im working out or driving to my GF's house.

so almost one year later it still kicks fuckin ass and rocks the fuck out!

No matter how tired I am when I hear Scott go "went too fast im outta luck and i dont even give a fuck" it instantly puts a pep into my step. fuckin awesome!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #401 on: May 02, 2005, 08:35:58 PM »

Yeah, I actually like it alot better now than I did last year....I was sent to a rehab for two weeks and just got out yesterday morning... When I got home I put it on while I was doing shit around teh house and listened to the whole thing and it was great. I actually played "Alien" twice....

MikeB
« Reply #402 on: June 22, 2005, 08:53:54 PM »

I don't know , Velvet Revolver's all right , to me they're alot mellower than G n'R. Guns n' Roses are way more Rock n' Roll .Scott Weiland sounds too much like the other singers today, the way he is with drugs he's such a loser. Fall to Pieces is such a whiney bitch song . The way VR is today ,they seem like a bunch of old guys trying to be cool and making asses out of themselves.In my book, contraband could've sounded better.Sorry to piss you people off. Smiley
hyperionmax2003
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #403 on: June 29, 2005, 08:56:05 PM »

Hi, I wish to remain anonyomous, but I have to say Contraband is awesome.  Hell, I would compare it with my AF.... I mean GNR's AFD.  I been really busy with some legal issues and working on my  new album for the past decade, and I finally had a chance to pop the cd in.  Scott is an amazing singer, and Slash is awesome.  Anyways, hopefull....if the band unfourtunetly breaks up, I would like to see if Duff/Slash/and Matt would be interested in rejoing GNR with the great, most-talented singer Axl Rose.  In closing, Contraband makes me jealous is my new favorite album.

hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi
3tequilafloor
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #404 on: July 05, 2005, 12:31:15 PM »

I think the one reason a lot of people on this board didn't like the album, is because u were all wanting and anticipating it to sound like GNR or STP (in some cases) or for it to sound old and not so modern, but the truth is theres not one band today that if they had a record deal like this and the money for the production on this album, theres no way they couldn't sound modern.  Besides maybe a few little tiny tweaks on the guitar sounds, the production is perfect.  I, personally, didn't want this to sound like a gnr album, or an stp album, then that defeats the whole entire purpose of music. VR said they were gonna be dirty, sleazy, sexy, fierce rock, and they lived up to it 100%.  I can name atleast 10 dirty sleazy rock bands that sound nothing a like.  I think that main reason people don't like this album, is basically flat out, because axl wasn't on the album, and we still don't have chinese democracy, and we probably won't for atleast 5 more years.  And enough with the people who are all hating on slash just because he doesn't play a solo after every chorus.  There are plenty of solos on this record, and they sound great, they sound like slash, but they don't sound like GNR, If you haven't seen em live, then ur missin out, the stage is where all the members really shine through together like a gang.  Scott Weiland is without a doubt, no questions asked, the most powerful frontman/singer in all of the music industry to day.  Hell if axl finally gets his lazy fuckin ass up after all his gay botox he does, he might be able to actually grab a hold of his dignity, put out an album, and give Weiland a run for his money, but in todays world, Chinese Democracy, can't touch Contraband in the slightest way possible.  Let's face it, Velvet Revolver are now the #1 New Rock Group, and it doesn't look like they're going anywhere!!!
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2005, 06:42:20 PM »

contraband sucked and seemed rushed. that being said, anyone doubting axl's hand in making guns n' roses what it is/was is way off. he, along with slash, made guns n' roses interesting and appealing/exciting to people not only because of their talents but also their charisma and chemistry. slash definately helped, but axl's vision pushed them forward from appetite destruction. axl still has that vision, which seperates him from most rock stars, along with a musical talent which is beyond most people. slash and duff are good at what they do and slash's solos definately made the gnr tunes part of what they are, but they're not songwriters of axl's or izzy's caliber, and without that OR an unique frontman like axl, VR just isn't going to measure up to guns n' roses. not even the new guns n' roses, as axl is both the frontman, a great performer, unique songwriter, has the same vision intact AND has alot of charisma and mystique surrounding him. it's just no comparing them. sure slash complimented axl in an unique way, there's no denying that, but people will always? see axl as the frontman of guns n' roses, not slash. axl moved on musically, slash didn't. and that's where they parted ways, axl wanted more while slash settled for what they had. but now axl is free to do what he wants, and it's gonna be "out of the ballpark".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 06:46:55 PM by August 15th » Logged

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2005, 07:53:09 PM »

contraband sucked and seemed rushed. that being said, anyone doubting axl's hand in making guns n' roses what it is/was is way off. he, along with slash, made guns n' roses interesting and appealing/exciting to people not only because of their talents but also their charisma and chemistry. slash definately helped, but axl's vision pushed them forward from appetite destruction. axl still has that vision, which seperates him from most rock stars, along with a musical talent which is beyond most people. slash and duff are good at what they do and slash's solos definately made the gnr tunes part of what they are, but they're not songwriters of axl's or izzy's caliber, and without that OR an unique frontman like axl, VR just isn't going to measure up to guns n' roses. not even the new guns n' roses, as axl is both the frontman, a great performer, unique songwriter, has the same vision intact AND has alot of charisma and mystique surrounding him. it's just no comparing them. sure slash complimented axl in an unique way, there's no denying that, but people will always? see axl as the frontman of guns n' roses, not slash. axl moved on musically, slash didn't. and that's where they parted ways, axl wanted more while slash settled for what they had. but now axl is free to do what he wants, and it's gonna be "out of the ballpark".

Do you say the same thing every thread? This is a VR board and you type 1000 words talking about Axl.? confused
August 18th
Banned
Rocker

Here Today... Gone Tomorrow

« Reply #407 on: July 11, 2005, 08:43:05 AM »

lol, i can see where you're coming from but in all fairness, i was just comparing like everybody else in this thread seems to be doing.

"funny how everything was roses when he held on to the guns"

"sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"
duffslover
« Reply #408 on: July 11, 2005, 09:41:32 AM »

I PERSONALLY LOVE THE ALBUM!!!!!!!!
YOU GOT NO RIGHT, LOVING THE ALIEN AND FALL TO PIECES ARE ALL AMAZING SONGS THAT MAKE ME GO WEAK AT THE KNEES.

I ALSO LOVE:

SUCKER TRAIN BLUES,
DO IT FOR THE KIDS,
SET ME FREE,
SLITHER? drool,

THE ONLY THING IS THAT I WISH WE COULD HEAR A BIT MORE FROM DUFF.? I'D LOVE HIM TO SING A SONG AND I'D LOVE SLASH TO HAVE A REALLY LONG SOLO IN ONE OF THEIR SONGS.? THAT WOULD BE AMAZING TO HEAR HIM AGAIN.

I SAW THEM AT LIVE 8 AND THEY DID; DO IT FOR THE KIDS, FALL TO PIECES AND SLITHER AND I ALMOST FAINTED.? NO MATTER WHAT SONG THEY SING, THEY ALWAYS GET THE CROWD GOING AND THEY SOUND FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? ? ?

beer? peace? drool? drool? drool

WE SALUTE YOU VELVET REVOLVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madagascar
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #409 on: August 16, 2005, 05:13:02 PM »

This album really grows on you, i had doubts at first, but as soon as you get over that its Scott and not Axl its great.
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #410 on: October 12, 2005, 10:10:15 AM »

"Spectacle" - Another I would skip on my way to FTP all summer, until recently. Actually, I would even skip this song too. Even weaker than the previous number. Only a semi-decent hook and some sheer energy of the players keeps it from going completely under. Don't waste your time with this one. nervous
3/10

"Fall to Pieces" - What hasn't been said about this song yet? I personally don;t think it comes near SCOM comparisons, but it definitly stands out as the most "radio" of the VR songs. A nice song with the GNR shifts of intensity - from a sweet accoustic ballad at the beginning to a hard rock ballad. I think its more like a "Don't CRy" (even though the lyrics don't nearly come even close to Axl's on that song). Song definitly illustrates great chemistry between Scott/STP and GNR. A blistering Slash solo (his best solo since Suckertrain Blues) will top off the great melodies.
9.5/10 Grin

"You Got No Right" - A song that seems to take a page from the Chapter of Rock N' Roll called "Limp Bizkit". Unless it is Scott that influences Fred Durst's style or vice versa, he clearly sounds like the nookie guy. Lyrics on this song are the heaviest on the album - definitly something that Scott pulled out of himself - like a confession. Hook feels like its been there and done in Rock n Roll which kinda takes away from its power. Its solo by Slash sounds like a rip off of Joe Perry's from "Livin on the Edge". A strong song that I know its a favorite by the VR fans, but not one of mine.
8/10? Smiley

"Loving the Alien" - A nice mellow song - the first taste of it since the mellow moments in YGNR. A nice way to end the album, but not at all a standout track. Kind of a weak track to end the album.
6.5/10? Tongue

THis was my review from the summer 2004. Obviously my feelings for these songs have changed a bit.

I really like SPECTACLE now. It grew on me. It has a lot of energy on it which is good for the gym. I would give it now 7/10.

YOU GOT NO RIGHT is amazing. When I heard it live in NJ last May, I was walking back to my seat after trying to get beer. While Slash was playing its solo, the song began to resemble "Estranged" to me a bit and for parts of walk back I actually did the Axl dance to that song for Estranged. The song is very heartfelt and it has great momentum - slow and fast - from beginning to end. I would actually have made this the single off of CONTRABAND rather than DIRTY LITTLE MIND. I now give this song a 9.5!!!

DIRTY LITTLE MIND btw now gets a 7.5 from me.

FALL TO PIECES - Ive grown tired a bit from this song. It was overplayed on radio and in my head. I now give it a 8.

LOVING THE ALIEN bores the shit out of me. I have listened to it a few times and have "retired" it from ever being played along with "HEADSPACE". I would now give this song a 4.5.

That will be all.
See you next VR record!

Mark N' Roses
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:16:56 AM by marknroses » Logged

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
gnrbabe
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #411 on: October 12, 2005, 09:19:26 PM »

i've tried liking Contraband many times but i really can't enjoy it.? Angry
 i just hope the new gnr album kick ass.
nevermiss24
Rocker

CD STARTS NOW

« Reply #412 on: October 16, 2005, 10:26:23 PM »

i think it is great it is as to close to the original GNR as you are going to get. i hope VR's next record is just the same i give it a 8/10
Jonathan
« Reply #413 on: October 23, 2005, 05:09:37 AM »

Totally I would give it a 7 out of 10..

Best: Illegal I Song, Set Me Free

Bad: Big Machine
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2005, 05:57:31 AM »

i've tried liking Contraband many times but i really can't enjoy it.? Angry
 i just hope the new gnr album kick ass.
would you give the second album a chance being they did this one 100% together?? Contraband wasn't rushed but there were problems with scott so I don't think full fosuc was put on the album..

For the record I still listen to the album weekly..
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #415 on: October 23, 2005, 04:49:16 PM »

Only got the album in the last two weeks and having heard the songs separetly before including live 8. Wasnt really impressed with the bits i heard. I have listened to it for the last week non stop, more than GNR. And have to agree too few slash solos on the album which is a shame. Matts drumming is preety good IMO. Hope the next one is the same.

Fave song is fall to pieces, you got no right is good as well.     
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2005, 02:37:26 AM »

LOVING THE ALIEN bores the shit out of me. I have listened to it a few times and have "retired" it from ever being played along with "HEADSPACE". I would now give this song a 4.5.

HOW DARE YOU?!?!?!  Loving The Alien is possibly my favorite track on the album!!!   

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:17 PM »

HOW DARE YOU?!?!?!? Loving The Alien is possibly my favorite track on the album!!!? ?

Well guys its just a matter of taste... dont worry if someone else doesnt like your favorite song, you will always find people like that,...
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #418 on: October 24, 2005, 07:10:52 PM »

HOW DARE YOU?!?!?!? Loving The Alien is possibly my favorite track on the album!!!? ?

Well guys its just a matter of taste... dont worry if someone else doesnt like your favorite song, you will always find people like that,...

I was just joking.... Well Alien really is possibly my favorite VR track but I was still just messin with him... Thanks for teh counceling though...

jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #419 on: October 25, 2005, 01:48:40 PM »

I've had this album for well over a year now and still love it.

Not as many solo's as I would have liked but it plays fucking awesome live!!  Meaning, listening to the CD  is not quite the same as hearing them play the songs live at the arena or club (not on TV).  Don't know how to explain it but this CD was meant to be heard live.

The only two songs I'm not crazy about are Illegal I and Spectacle, but again, Illegal I is awesome live.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: