Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 12:56:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227857 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 189864 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2007, 05:03:14 PM »

Roger Clemens just announced during the 7th inning stretch at Yankee Stadium that he would be returning to the Yankees!!!!
28 million for four months.  Ridiculous.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2007, 06:11:24 PM »

Roger Clemens just announced during the 7th inning stretch at Yankee Stadium that he would be returning to the Yankees!!!!
28 million for four months.? Ridiculous.

It's not quite that obscene (but close).  It's 28 million pro-rated, which means it'll actually be close to about 20 million for 5-ish months (it's a minor league contract, so it covers his time getting ready)

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »

Still pretty crazy. I wonder how he'll fair in the AL. He hasn't pitched there since 03. I know he's Clemens but farther time has to catch up with even him eventually.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »

obviously, i was talking about their pitching when i said poor player performance.

they've had to shuffle their starting rotation due to injuries, but every team does throughout a season. they've had to shuffle things around because of poor pitching as well.

their bullpen has been a disaster. and you need your stars (rivera) to step up when you do have injuries. an 11-12 april sounds a heck of alot better than a 9-14 one.

and abreu's poor defense cost them runs in a close game as well.

And I?m not sure, again, how much you can chalk it up to player performance?.or, rather, players performing below expectations.  The pitchers that have been thrown up there are AA or  AAA caliber pitchers?.I?ve called them the batting practice squad?many of them seeing their first MLB action.  You say the bullpen has been a disaster but?they?ve also been worked into the ground too. Fatigue isn?t their fault (not really Joe?s either?).  Mariano has been fine since his bad days in Boston (where his numbers have never been great and he did something very similar last year) and picked up a coupe/few saves recently.  He?s suffered from the exact opposite problems from the rest of the pen: Not enough work so he?s tight.  He?s always pitched better when used regularly but games just haven?t been close enough.

The injuries have killed them.  Yes, other teams go through this type of thing OVER THE COURSE OF A WHOLE SEASON.  Not within the first month of one.  The Red Sox Explosion of last year is the only other team I?ve seen have such an injury issue that I can remember.  It?s been tough.

Hopefully, things are looking up.  Mussina, Pettite, and Wang are healthy.  Pavano looks to be done this year (big surprise) and is headed for TJ surgery but?I think everyone can agree that in about a month they?ll have a pretty big upgrade at that spot.  So, now they?re left to worry about their #5 spot?.which is a heck of a lot better than worrying about 1-4, which is what they?ve had to do for the last month.  Rasner pitched well today?.maybe give him a shot until Hughes is back in 4-6 weeks.  I?d definitely keep Hughes around this year?to learn from the Rocket.  That?s worth calling the kid up a  year or 2 early, IMHO.

Oh, and Abreu?  Look at his numbers the last 3 games?..he seems to have come around.  Again, nobody bats 1.000.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2007, 06:28:42 PM »

Still pretty crazy. I wonder how he'll fair in the AL. He hasn't pitched there since 03. I know he's Clemens but farther time has to catch up with even him eventually.

Absolutely.....but if he gets the Yanks to the post-season, and helps them win another World Series....if I'm the Steinbrenners, I think it's worth it.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »

obviously, i was talking about their pitching when i said poor player performance.

they've had to shuffle their starting rotation due to injuries, but every team does throughout a season. they've had to shuffle things around because of poor pitching as well.

their bullpen has been a disaster. and you need your stars (rivera) to step up when you do have injuries. an 11-12 april sounds a heck of alot better than a 9-14 one.

And I?m not sure, again, how much you can chalk it up to player performance?.or, rather, players performing below expectations.  The pitchers that have been thrown up there are AA or  AAA caliber pitchers?.I?ve called them the batting practice squad?many of them seeing their first MLB action.  You say the bullpen has been a disaster but?they?ve also been worked into the ground too. Fatigue isn?t their fault (not really Joe?s either?).  Mariano has been fine since his bad days in Boston (where his numbers have never been great and he did something very similar last year) and picked up a coupe/few saves recently.  He?s suffered from the exact opposite problems from the rest of the pen: Not enough work so he?s tight.  He?s always pitched better when used regularly but games just haven?t been close enough.

The injuries have killed them.  Yes, other teams go through this type of thing OVER THE COURSE OF A WHOLE SEASON.  Not within the first month of one.  The Red Sox Explosion of last year is the only other team I?ve seen have such an injury issue that I can remember.  It?s been tough.

Hopefully, things are looking up.  Mussina, Pettite, and Wang are healthy.  Pavano looks to be done this year (big surprise) and is headed for TJ surgery but?I think everyone can agree that in about a month they?ll have a pretty big upgrade at that spot.  So, now they?re left to worry about their #5 spot?.which is a heck of a lot better than worrying about 1-4, which is what they?ve had to do for the last month.  Rasner pitched well today?.maybe give him a shot until Hughes is back in 4-6 weeks.  I?d definitely keep Hughes around this year?to learn from the Rocket.  That?s worth calling the kid up a  year or 2 early, IMHO.

Oh, and Abreu?  Look at his numbers the last 3 games?..he seems to have come around.  Again, nobody bats 1.000.

I definitely agree about keeping Hughes around once his hammy is healed. He was definitely starting to show he belongs here in his last start and there's not a better man he can learn from then Clemens. He and Pettitte can have a huge impact on this kids future.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2007, 06:44:30 PM »

Absolutely.....but if he gets the Yanks to the post-season, and helps them win another World Series....if I'm the Steinbrenners, I think it's worth it.

Agreed. Lets just hope he still has something left in the tank.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »

Agreed. Lets just hope he still has something left in the tank.
I think Clemens will do just fine.  I'm a Sox fan so I wish I could say he's old, he's washed up, but I can't.  He dominated the NL the last couple of years.  But that's the NL, he was solid when he last pitched for the Yanks but nowhere near as dominant as his NL days.  I'd expect much the same that he gave the Yanks before.  Similar to what Schilling gives the Sox.  A potential fantastic start every fifth day, with a few bad starts mixed in from time to time.  Neither are ace material anymore, but both are still pretty darn good.  Unfortunately things are looking up for the Yanks.  Pitching has gotten a huge boost from the return of many of the walking wounded.  It couldn't last forever.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2007, 09:59:43 PM »

Clemens is oder than he was when he"retired" from the Yanks last time. We'll see what happens...............

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »

I think even if he pitches just OK with that offense supporting him he is gonna get a significant amount of wins
sandman
Legend

« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »

And I?m not sure, again, how much you can chalk it up to player performance?.or, rather, players performing below expectations.? The pitchers that have been thrown up there are AA or? AAA caliber pitchers?.I?ve called them the batting practice squad?many of them seeing their first MLB action.? You say the bullpen has been a disaster but?they?ve also been worked into the ground too. Fatigue isn?t their fault (not really Joe?s either?).? Mariano has been fine since his bad days in Boston (where his numbers have never been great and he did something very similar last year) and picked up a coupe/few saves recently.? He?s suffered from the exact opposite problems from the rest of the pen: Not enough work so he?s tight.? He?s always pitched better when used regularly but games just haven?t been close enough.

The injuries have killed them.? Yes, other teams go through this type of thing OVER THE COURSE OF A WHOLE SEASON.? Not within the first month of one.? The Red Sox Explosion of last year is the only other team I?ve seen have such an injury issue that I can remember.? It?s been tough.

Hopefully, things are looking up.? Mussina, Pettite, and Wang are healthy.? Pavano looks to be done this year (big surprise) and is headed for TJ surgery but?I think everyone can agree that in about a month they?ll have a pretty big upgrade at that spot.? So, now they?re left to worry about their #5 spot?.which is a heck of a lot better than worrying about 1-4, which is what they?ve had to do for the last month.? Rasner pitched well today?.maybe give him a shot until Hughes is back in 4-6 weeks.? I?d definitely keep Hughes around this year?to learn from the Rocket.? That?s worth calling the kid up a? year or 2 early, IMHO.

Oh, and Abreu?? Look at his numbers the last 3 games?..he seems to have come around.? Again, nobody bats 1.000.

i just hate the injury excuse - it excuses players for poor play.

they got poor starts from each of their 5 SPs to start the season. and the bullpen was overused from the get-go because of it. they were lucky to win 2 of the first 5 thanks to their offense bailing them out.

i'm not saying injuries aren't part of the problem. just pointing out that their "stars" on the mound didn't perform well in april. not to mention the fact that Igawa has been a disaster.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:09:20 AM by sandman » Logged

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »

Clemens is oder than he was when he"retired" from the Yanks last time. We'll see what happens...............

Ask yourself this question:  Is he a significant upgrade from their current #4 (Igawa).  I don't think anyone on the planet would say he's not.

Even if he's just "OK"....he's a darn site better than the other options at #4.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »

Ask yourself this question:  Is he a significant upgrade from their current #4 (Igawa).  I don't think anyone on the planet would say he's not.

Exactly even an OK clemens will win games the way we can hit the ball. I hope they send Igawa to AAA when Clemens is ready. Or let him work with Clemens maybe he can help the guy.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2007, 11:01:14 PM »

Ask yourself this question:? Is he a significant upgrade from their current #4 (Igawa).? I don't think anyone on the planet would say he's not.

Exactly even an OK clemens will win games the way we can hit the ball. I hope they send Igawa to AAA when Clemens is ready. Or let him work with Clemens maybe he can help the guy.
Your wish is granted.  Igawa to the minors, well before Clemens is even ready.  That guy has been junk.  His only good game to my recollection was in that relief appearance against the Sox.  2 reasons for that, not to make excuses.  1) They didn't prepare for him, they prepared for Karstens who broke his leg 2 batters into the game.  2) The Sox struggle agains soft throwing lefties, ala Gustavo Chacin.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:14:43 PM by faldor » Logged

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2007, 11:11:30 PM »

I must be freaking psychic. I say that about Igawa then read he has infact been sent to the minors.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2007, 08:05:37 AM »

OK, I'm slowly creeping over to the "Mariano is toast" way of thinking.

Between that, and the atrocious call at 2nd in the 8th inning last night......ouch.

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »

Ask yourself this question:? Is he a significant upgrade from their current #4 (Igawa).? I don't think anyone on the planet would say he's not.

He's actually and upgrade over their 2 and 3 if he is "OK"
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2007, 10:59:46 PM »

Clemens does  it because  he can. If he tanks, then he can't, and no one will pay. But he can still bring it. I hate the Yanks, but  I say, more power to Clemens. Probably the best  pitcher in the contemporary period, hands down. In any event, baseball salaries  are out of control. They need a salary cap like in the other main sports (football, basketball, hockey).
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »

Clemens does  it because  he can. If he tanks, then he can't, and no one will pay. But he can still bring it. I hate the Yanks, but  I say, more power to Clemens. Probably the best  pitcher in the contemporary period, hands down. In any event, baseball salaries  are out of control. They need a salary cap like in the other main sports (football, basketball, hockey).

Ill agree to that. I just don't see it happening without another major work stoppage though.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »

Clemens does? it because? he can. If he tanks, then he can't, and no one will pay. But he can still bring it. I hate the Yanks, but? I say, more power to Clemens. Probably the best? pitcher in the contemporary period, hands down. In any event, baseball salaries? are out of control. They need a salary cap like in the other main sports (football, basketball, hockey).
Basketball doesnt have a salary cap, they have a more refined version of baseball's luxury tax.

It's not the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets fault that Kansas City's owner (for Example) pockets his teams portion of the revenue sharing. A good percentage of that revenue sharing includes the luxury tax that Boston and the two NY teams payout each year.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: