Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:03:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227897 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Appetite For Collection
| | |-+  To all those that film concerts on video?...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To all those that film concerts on video?...  (Read 1909 times)
monobum
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: October 13, 2006, 01:48:33 PM »

Hi all,

1st. Dilema

I was just wondering. How do you get the camera in the shows? Any tips for a novice. I have gotten small still cameras in hidding it in my crotch- that's no problem with a pat down security check. But what do you do with the metal detectors wands that they scan you with at the big venues?  Any experiences with the door at shows you would like to share. GNR will be playing soon in my hometown and would like to get a small mini DV in.

2nd Dilema?

If I record the show I wont be able to go crazy and rock out with Axl. I'll have to be looking at the camera viewfinder. Any expiriences taping shows?  Do y'all tink the video camera will kill the party or is it even worth it in your opinion.

Discuss...
chad_er33
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:53:54 PM »

what i would say it if someone was using a metal detectors wand is that you have piercings "down there".  i doubt they would ask you to pull down your pants to check.
lam
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »

Hi all,

1st. Dilema

I was just wondering. How do you get the camera in the shows? Any tips for a novice. I have gotten small still cameras in hidding it in my crotch- that's no problem with a pat down security check. But what do you do with the metal detectors wands that they scan you with at the big venues?  Any experiences with the door at shows you would like to share. GNR will be playing soon in my hometown and would like to get a small mini DV in.

2nd Dilema?

If I record the show I wont be able to go crazy and rock out with Axl. I'll have to be looking at the camera viewfinder. Any expiriences taping shows?  Do y'all tink the video camera will kill the party or is it even worth it in your opinion.

Discuss...

pat downs are the easiest to get past.  wear a couple pairs of boxer briefs and load em up with you gear.  just make sure you practice walking before you go to the show.  its usually smart to have everything out of your pockets too, lots of times you wont get touched cause you are prepared.  also carry a small bag/purse with you cause most security think  thats where all the bad things are.

even with metal detectors there are always ways to get gear in.  best bet is to watch the line for a little while and see if the metal detectors are even working.... like send a friend in with lots of change ect in pockets and see if it sets stuff off and see how security responds.  if security is tight and wands are working see if there is a smoking section that a friend might be able to go to and just pass gear in.  another thing that works if you are going with lots of people is break things down and give batteries, tripod, tapes, ect to different people.

as for getting to go crazy with axl.... if you tape and want to have something worth watching, going crazy is not really an option.  your best bet is finding an upper level seat where you can sit down and either do a lap shot, or tripod if you have one.  make sure your camera is covered up and if you can have a friend sit with you.  also dont be afraid to ask people to trade seats with you... if you have a floor ticket try and go up and trade with people who have the seats you want to film from.  when it comes to filming the show, stay focused filming or drifts will happen and you will end up with awesome video of the ceiling. 

ok i will shut up now.  but here are some links to gear that me and my friends use that i wish people would have told me about.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=171046&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=74307&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/Camcorder_Hoods.asp

peace

EFISH
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:43:15 PM »

Hi all,

1st. Dilema

2nd Dilema?

Discuss...

pat downs are the easiest to get past.  wear a couple pairs of boxer briefs and load em up with you gear.  just make sure you practice walking before you go to the show.  its usually smart to have everything out of your pockets too, lots of times you wont get touched cause you are prepared.  also carry a small bag/purse with you cause most security think  thats where all the bad things are.

even with metal detectors there are always ways to get gear in.  best bet is to watch the line for a little while and see if the metal detectors are even working.... like send a friend in with lots of change ect in pockets and see if it sets stuff off and see how security responds.  if security is tight and wands are working see if there is a smoking section that a friend might be able to go to and just pass gear in.  another thing that works if you are going with lots of people is break things down and give batteries, tripod, tapes, ect to different people.

as for getting to go crazy with axl.... if you tape and want to have something worth watching, going crazy is not really an option.  your best bet is finding an upper level seat where you can sit down and either do a lap shot, or tripod if you have one.  make sure your camera is covered up and if you can have a friend sit with you.  also dont be afraid to ask people to trade seats with you... if you have a floor ticket try and go up and trade with people who have the seats you want to film from.  when it comes to filming the show, stay focused filming or drifts will happen and you will end up with awesome video of the ceiling. 

ok i will shut up now.  but here are some links to gear that me and my friends use that i wish people would have told me about.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=171046&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=74307&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/Camcorder_Hoods.asp

peace

thanks man, great post!

welcome to the board Cheesy
monobum
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 10:14:13 AM »

Thank you all for your input.  Iam you sound like a veteran doing this stuff. Wish you could tape the show for me. I might give it a shot all depends on thye door that day. I have gone to several diffrent shows at this venue and they are very inconsistent at the door. Example for the Rolling Stones you would think there be super heavy duty security @ the door right?
Well there was none! They just took my ticket and I walked in. No wands, no pat downs nothing! And for some other shows it's like going thru airport security.

If I decide to get it in I doubt I can record the whole show. But maybe a couple of songs would be nice... well see. If I can get something you guys well be the 1st to know.

Thanks again
monobum
Puerto Rico  ok
lam
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:03:18 AM »

Thank you all for your input.  Iam you sound like a veteran doing this stuff. Wish you could tape the show for me. I might give it a shot all depends on thye door that day. I have gone to several diffrent shows at this venue and they are very inconsistent at the door. Example for the Rolling Stones you would think there be super heavy duty security @ the door right?
Well there was none! They just took my ticket and I walked in. No wands, no pat downs nothing! And for some other shows it's like going thru airport security.

If I decide to get it in I doubt I can record the whole show. But maybe a couple of songs would be nice... well see. If I can get something you guys well be the 1st to know.

Thanks again
monobum
Puerto Rico  ok

i have filmed lots of shows, just no GNR.  not sure if i will be going to any shows this tour, but if i do i will probably film.  the worst part about filming, is its work.  you have to stay focused, you body is usually sore after, you still pay to get in, you have to be alert and keep an eye on security.  the best part is you can watch the show whenever you want, it will be exactly what you want (i like to follow action and not just shoot singers like so many people do), you usually have something good to get some trades for,or you can keep it just for yourself too. 

anybody who wants tips on gear, getting stuff in, ect.  feel free to PM me and i will try to help you out the best i can.

oh and nice board you all have here..... have been lurking for years, just had nothing to post about.
anythinggoes
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »

One thing i found was that it does spoil enjoyment of the show. I recorded the 1st hour or so of donington and because of it didnt enjoy the show much. It hurts your arm after a while you have to stay a distance away from stage you cant sing or dance. It is also hard to keep a track on whats going on due to tunnel vision. It was easy to get it into a festival so cant help you there   
lam
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 04:32:25 PM »

One thing i found was that it does spoil enjoyment of the show. I recorded the 1st hour or so of donington and because of it didnt enjoy the show much. It hurts your arm after a while you have to stay a distance away from stage you cant sing or dance. It is also hard to keep a track on whats going on due to tunnel vision. It was easy to get it into a festival so cant help you there   

if you have to stand and hold a camera your arm will get really sore.

with these shows coming up in the states there are so many good seats in all these buildings.  if you get the right ones, like front of the balcony or in a section where people are sitting you can do a lap shot, and use the lcd screen.  just make sure you cover the lcd screen with an old black shirt, or dress sock... this way you dont have a bright light shining in your face telling security where to look.

monobum
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 09:35:45 AM »

O.k. Now what if I decide just to record the audio, is there any gear you all would recomend? or Recording techniques for audio? I remember when I went to Ozzfest 99 there was a guy in front of me recording in audio, the whole Sabbath set he kept his recorder recording underneath his seat.

I'm having second thaughts about recording video, now I realize its going to kill my enjoyment of the concert. I'll be hard to do the Axl snake dance with a camcorder in my hand. I wish I was rich, I would pay for an extra ticket and pay someone none fan just to bootleg this for all GNR fans.  Fuck! I want it all! confused

Thks again
FernandoR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:39:43 AM »

thanks for all your effort

I hope you can record video!!
lam
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »

O.k. Now what if I decide just to record the audio, is there any gear you all would recomend? or Recording techniques for audio? I remember when I went to Ozzfest 99 there was a guy in front of me recording in audio, the whole Sabbath set he kept his recorder recording underneath his seat.

I'm having second thaughts about recording video, now I realize its going to kill my enjoyment of the concert. I'll be hard to do the Axl snake dance with a camcorder in my hand. I wish I was rich, I would pay for an extra ticket and pay someone none fan just to bootleg this for all GNR fans.  Fuck! I want it all! confused

Thks again

audio is easy.  its all about location.

if you are wanting to do it on the cheap get some core sounds.  i have been using a set since 00 and am really happy with what they do.  there are several other brands in the same price range that are just as good, im sure others can suggest those.

http://www.core-sound.com/mics.html

just wear a black shirt and clip the mics on, or a hat works great too.

as for what to record with.... mini discs is cheap but you will have to change discs, and the format kinda sucks (have had md since 98 but dont really like it) dat is great, but its expensive, media is harder to come by and expensive too.  not sure which to recomend but there are several hard drive type recorders that records at the same bit rate as dat, but are way cheaper and since they record to flash card or something like that, you dont have to buy blank media.  just make sure you get one that records at a good bit rate and is uncompressed, once again im sure somebody here has more info on that stuff.

as for location to tape.... get near the soundboard.  it should be really easy this tour since its GA floor.  if you can adjust levels on recordings getting on the rail under the PA stacks also make for great tapes, just make sure you can adjust the levels so the recording doesnt distort.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: