Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:54:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Thin Lizzy
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thin Lizzy  (Read 7464 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 10:53:13 PM »

i think we all forgot to say R.I.P to mr phillip lynott recently.

R.I.P

4 January.

Fuck 'Em All.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »

Has anyone else heard Lizzy's "BBC Radio One Live in Concert" album, of one of their last shows back in '83?

Out of print, and it'll cost you $60+ for a used copy, but it's a killer show.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »

Has anyone else heard Lizzy's "BBC Radio One Live in Concert" album, of one of their last shows back in '83?

Yes, I have that - think I prefer Life/Live but that's definitely a good one. Also I saw them on that tour  ok

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »

Yes, I have that - think I prefer Life/Live but that's definitely a good one. Also I saw them on that tour  ok

I'd heard very mixed reviews of Life/Live, so I haven't checked it out, yet.  What do you think of "A Night in the Life of a Blues Singer"? 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

I'd heard very mixed reviews of Life/Live, so I haven't checked it out, yet.  What do you think of "A Night in the Life of a Blues Singer"? 

Good song, the guitar intro is classic Lizzy - take something that shouldn't work in hard rock and make it sound cool. Sykes metals it up a but too much in the solo though.

I thought a lot of the negativity about L/L is that it's Sykes (mainly) and not classic Gorham/Robertson like Live and Dangerous, but if you like the radio one show you'd probably like L/L too. It has The Rocker with pretty much every former Lizzy guitar player except Snowy White.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 12:06:53 AM »

Good song, the guitar intro is classic Lizzy - take something that shouldn't work in hard rock and make it sound cool. Sykes metals it up a but too much in the solo though.

I thought a lot of the negativity about L/L is that it's Sykes (mainly) and not classic Gorham/Robertson like Live and Dangerous, but if you like the radio one show you'd probably like L/L too. It has The Rocker with pretty much every former Lizzy guitar player except Snowy White.

I thought the guitar work on BBC Radio One was great, so I'll follow your suggestion!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 01:14:29 AM »

Wow! i haven't heard of this band in ages. I saw them 30 or so years ago.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 03:35:09 PM »

Lovin' Black Rose.  Probably one of Lizzy's top three studio albums, in my (well informed  Grin) opinion.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »

New Lizzy live album being released in a couple of weeks. 

They also had one release in 2008...someone's cashin' in on the Lizzy vault.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:16:01 AM »

Spread the word around . . . guess who?s back in town. But will be this a reunion too far for their fans?

Yes, almost 25 years after the death of legendary Irish rocker Phil Lynott, Thin Lizzy are to hit the road again ? this time with Co Down musician Ricky Warwick at the helm.

Warwick (43) replaces Lynott in the latest reincarnation, joining Thin Lizzy alumni Scott Gorham, Brian Downey and Darren Wharton. Also on board are Def Leppard?s Vivian Campbell and former Whitesnake bassist Marco Mendoza.

The new band will head out on tour in 2011, with a huge homecoming show planned for Dublin on January 4. Thin Lizzy are not the only band to reform minus a key figure.

Queen continue to tour with Free?s Paul Rodgers filling the shoes of the late Freddie Mercury, while Paul McLoone replaced Feargal Sharkey in The Undertones. Bruce Dickinson quit Iron Maiden, rejoining the heavy metal band some years later.

But can the glory days of Lynott?s reign ever really be recreated?

Stuart Bailie of the Oh Yeah Centre in Belfast said that while it was great news for Warwick, whom he described as a ?100% rocker??, he thought the new formation?s pedigree ?was suspect?.

?It?s crossing over, really, from reunion to tribute band, so it?s something of a hybrid,? he said.

?I saw the great Thin Lizzy in the Ulster Hall in 1978 and that memory is still intact. That is the way I want to keep it.

?When you see Queen perform with Paul Rodgers on vocals, it is not quite the same experience as seeing the original Queen and I?m guessing it will be the same with this line-up, although it does have some of its original line-up.

?What people will be seeing is a photocopy of a photocopy ? although I wouldn?t knock the guys for doing it. Does it sully Lynott?s legacy?

?I?m not sure about that but it?s never going to be the same experience without the great man himself.?

However, music publicist James Rollins said he did not believe that this was a reunion too far.

?The band has three of its original members, all of whom played with Lynott,? he said.

?They?re getting together to mark the 25th anniversary of Lynott?s death.?

David Neely of CDC Leisure admitted Lynott would be a hard act to follow but said Warwick was a great musician who would keep the fans happy, as long as he did not try to replicate Lynott.

?It?s always going to be difficult when you take out such a charismatic frontman as Lynott, but it can be done,? he said.

Speaking about his delight at being asked to join the new line-up Ricky, from Newtownards, said: ?Every kid on my street, in my school and in my city knew of Thin Lizzy. Every kid supported Lizzy. We took pride in Lizzy and what was there not to be proud of??

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/news/irish-rock-legends-thin-lizzy-reform-14808367.html

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 06:56:57 AM »

Im trying to get into their sound. Iv bought the live album, live and dangerous. What else should i search for?

Oh My God i cant deny this...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »

Im trying to get into their sound. Iv bought the live album, live and dangerous. What else should i search for?

It took me a while to get into them, but I'm fully on board these days.

Their heyday is best heard on Jailbreak and Bad Reputation, but Black Rose and Chinatown are both great as well.

Their late sound is best on Thunder and Lightning.

Their pre-dual guitar sound is best on Vagabonds of the Western World

I'd also recommend the live album BBC Radio One: Live in Concert, which covers their entire career (it's from their final tour) and really has a lot of power in the sound.  It's tough to find on cd.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »

You've got the masterpiece already so.  Live and Dangerous is their best work.  As good as they were, their studio albums don't come close to hearing their songs live.  But they have a lot of good songs that arent on Live and Dangerous, like:

Waiting for an Alibi, Old Town, Whiskey in the Jar, Sarah, Cold Sweat, Thunder and Lightening, Black Rose and Parisienne Walkways (thats actually a solo song featuring Phil Lynott and Gary Moore on guitar).   

What you think of the live album?

I'd also recommend the live album BBC Radio One: Live in Concert, which covers their entire career (it's from their final tour) and really has a lot of power in the sound.  It's tough to find on cd.

i have a bit of that show on DVD.  Phil sounds good but its really sad cos he looks in bad shape.  he died 3 years after that.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: