Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:50:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Anybody here ever run a triathlon/biathlon/marathon?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody here ever run a triathlon/biathlon/marathon?  (Read 5046 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« on: June 08, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone else here likes to race.  I've been training for a little while and I've got my first biathlon coming up in July.  Just looking for tips or interesting experiences.

Thanks.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:48:38 PM »

Athletics, eh?..........

I guess it should go here.

I used to be a pretty good sprinter, but I kind of lost my way... I've never done any real long distance running, though I would like to. Idealy I want to get into it over the summer.... I wouldn't compete, but I'd like to try and go the distance in something.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 05:51:23 PM »

We had a 14 mile Cross Country run every year in my unit while I was in the army.  I finished 3rd once and got a company coin.  The best bet on it is just pace yourself.  I know that's the typical thing to say, but pace yourself and you'll be gravy......after the first 4 miles you won't even be able to feel anything and you can run like the wind.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »

Just looking for tips or interesting experiences.

Thanks.? ?peace

I would start with staying the hell away from Mustang Harrys ok beer

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
fieldsy
Careless whisper
VIP

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »

I ran the Bristol half marathon (England, 13 miles) in just under 2 hours.  Great feeling when you have done it.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:52:27 PM »

We had a 14 mile Cross Country run every year in my unit while I was in the army.? I finished 3rd once and got a company coin.? The best bet on it is just pace yourself.? I know that's the typical thing to say, but pace yourself and you'll be gravy......after the first 4 miles you won't even be able to feel anything and you can run like the wind.

Cool.  Currently, my training schedule (not set in stone of course, if I'm sore I'll rest, if I feel good I'll go 3 or 4 days in a row) but right now, running 1-2 times a week, swimming 1-2 times and biking 1-2 times per week.  I'm keeping my heart rate low for the aerobic training, and every 2 weeks or so, I'll bust it as fast as I can.  I know I'm making progress because I can go the same distance in less time and with a lower heart rate than before.   Cool

Yeah Kujo, staying away from Mustang Harry's is a wise choice!  While the chicks were super-hot, and a motivating force... the burgers, fries, and whiskey sours probably wouldn't help me in my training.   hihi

Fieldsy, that's a good clip at about 9min/mile for that distance.  Good work. 

Maybe Axl will lend me the oxygen machine for my race.  Smiley  As long as I don't drown, things should go well.   beer 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Shirell
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 11:28:45 AM »

I ran the London Marathon in 2004.  Did it in 6 hours 47 minutes and it nearly killed me!  I swear it knocked two inches off my height.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 06:00:59 PM »

Prettytiedup, congrats on finishing.? Just finishing a marathon is a huge accomplishment.? My wife and I were training for the Philadelphia Marathon in the summer of '02...I hurt my knee...our first baby was born May '03!? ?love

Back to the here and now.? I finished my first biathlon July 2nd in Rehoboth Beach, DE, USA.? It involved a half-mile ocean swim, transition, then a 5kilometer run.? My goal going in was to break 50 minutes.? Mind you, I never swam in the ocean prior to the day b4 the race.? Anywhoo, I got out of the water at 26:08, stood up, then fell down to my knees.? rofl? Then I staggered up to the transition area, washed the sand off my feet, tried balancing on one foot to squeeze my sneakers on, almost fell, and then staggered on my way at 27:50.? 22 minutes and 1 second later I was crossing the finish line at 49:51!!!?

I can't recommend enough just going out and doing sh!t like this!?

But, just remember, learn from me.? When I first trained for the marathon, I went at it as hard as I could rarely stretching and taking it easy.? I went way too hard and f'd my knee up for a long time.? The worst part is that I am a physical therapist.? Too much testosterone can make the best of PT's dumb-asses!?

If I can give my fellow gunners any advice, it would be this.? Get a cheap heart rate monitor.? Stretch properly before running and always give yourself a day of rest after a good run.? Stay properly hydrated (that means lots of water, get rid of the soda pop crap)The day of rest doesn't have to be a nothing day.? You can bike or swim on off days.? Just respect your body.? Keep the heart rate low when training.? If you are about 30 years old, and in relatively good shape, keep the heart rate at about 150.? Just run a comfortable distance.? Slowly ease yourself up to 1 1/2 to 2 times the distance you'll be competing at.? If your heart rate goes above 150, walk if you have to to get it down, once it does, get back run/jogging to keep it around 150.? Stretch before and after every workout.? Record your times and average heart rates for your workouts.? After a month, look back at them.? You'll find yourself running long distances in less time with the same heart rate.? This means you are stronger cardiovascularly and capable of running faster times when you indeed have to run faster.? Occassionally you can sprinkle in an all-out run to keep your fast-twitch muscle fibers in tune.?

It's worked well for me and I hope someone here at the board would try it out.? If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.? I am a professional P.T. and if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.? ?peace

P.S.? yes, I was humming IRS and Better during my run!? ?Cool?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 07:27:49 PM by Axl4Prez2004 » Logged

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: