Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227905 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  "The Spaghetti Incident?".. your thoughts on this album?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Spaghetti Incident?".. your thoughts on this album?  (Read 18821 times)
ben9785
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:40:32 AM »

Hi.
Getting away from all the madness around "Chinese Democracy"..for about 30 seconds at most

I wonder what people's opinions are of this album around here? The general consensus is people hate this album, but I don't understand why? Is it because it doesn't have any original songs? Is it the production? Is it the fact that its a covers album? Are people bitter because it was the swansong of the original era of GNR and that in light of events that followed they never got a chance to hear more original classics? Is it the CHOICE of cover songs?

I'm a fan of hardcore/punk, but I'm not biased. I enjoy GNR's back catalogue (obviously), everything from the bluesy melodic feel of "You're Crazy" all the way up to the blast of "Right Next Door to Hell", but I really enjoy listening to these covers, not necessarily because they are from my favourite bands, like The Damned, UK Subs, Iggy etc. The truth is, I actually pulled this album out again after they played "Down on the Farm", and I actually forgot some of the stuff on it, so it was like a pleasant (re-) discovery. I think they did a great job reworking what are essentially really rough, simple, lo fi bursts of raw punk rock into their grand hard rock style, but at the same time, they keep the vibe and spirit of the originals. Listening to the cover of "New Rose" after so many months on end listening to DAMNED DAMNED DAMNED, really struck me that apart from the more polished sound, its really close to the original.

Anyway I wonder what your opinions are on this album? Why you like it, what you like about it? Or if you don't, why you don't like it, what you would change etc.

I hear what casual fans have to say.. but I wonder what you guys think??
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 04:44:36 AM by ben114 » Logged
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 04:57:00 AM »

Really like it......LOVE aint it fun and Hair of the dog...Not much of a fan of Since i dont have you..
But i really do like it.. peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
Miggy
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 04:58:14 AM »

Great album.
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 05:03:00 AM »

i love "ain't it fun", "human being" and "black leather"... the other songs are quite ok, but i'd rather stick to the originals... for a punk-cover-album i also think it's overproduced and duff definitely has too many vocal-parts...

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Vadin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 05:04:36 AM »

Many people seems to complain about the sound on that album.. but I love it..

"Black Leather", "Hair of the dog" and "Look at your game girl" are all great...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 05:06:07 AM »

I love it. I listened to it constantly for quite awhile after i got it. I should dig it out and listen again.
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 05:10:31 AM »

nice album! Can't say I'm all over it but i'm not all over cover as a hole
ben9785
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 05:17:23 AM »

Yeah of course, its a bit too polished sounding, but they were true to the originals at least in terms of the music. The only song I don't really like is "Since I don't have you". I like the rest for their own reasons. Axl's vocals on "Down on the farm" make me laugh, not in a bad way, just the accent.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 05:19:01 AM »

Really underrated album. Seems to be GNR's 'least' in terms of their catalog, but it's funny, because most of these songs would be pinnacles for any other artist.

I like most of the album. I think the only songs I didn't care for was Raw Power & Buick MacKane.

The rest are pretty damn good, with the covers of Down On The Farm, Human Being, Ain't It Fun, & Hair Of The Dog being some great GN'R songs, and deserve credit with all of the rest of the classics.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 05:20:24 AM »

Axl's vocals on "Down on the farm" make me laugh, not in a bad way, just the accent.

the "m?HuhHuh??hhhhhh"-bleat in the end is also funny...

Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 05:20:45 AM »

The album?s crap....5 songs are good...The rest is just...bad

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 05:24:06 AM »

The album?s crap....5 songs are good...The rest is just...bad

what are the good ones in your opinion?

Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 05:26:26 AM »

1. Down on the farm
2. Ain?t it fun
3. Attitude
4. Since i don?t have you
5. Hair of the dog

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
SPUNKY
Rocker

do one sweatheart!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 05:35:06 AM »

its a cool ablum and hair of the dog is a great song!!

so us buck makiane it really rocks

cant wait 2 hear down on the farm 2006 version!!

ok

SOUTHEND UNITED LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS 2006

HAMMERSMITH JUNE 7TH

DOWNLAND 9-11 JUNE GNR
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 05:40:38 AM »

All the songs are good.  The album gets a bad rap because it came out when everyone was hungry for new GnR stuff and then never got it.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 05:46:20 AM »

All the songs are good.? The album gets a bad rap because it came out when everyone was hungry for new GnR stuff and then never got it.

I don't know why in 1993 so many were hungry for a new album. They just got done releasing a double-album with 30 songs only two years before.

Quality over quantity. Although I will agree that 15 years for CD is a pretty long wait.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 05:50:38 AM »

All the songs are good.? The album gets a bad rap because it came out when everyone was hungry for new GnR stuff and then never got it.

I don't know why in 1993 so many were hungry for a new album. They just got done releasing a double-album with 30 songs only two years before.

Quality over quantity. Although I will agree that 15 years for CD is a pretty long wait.

in 1993 the gnr-hype was over...

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 05:54:08 AM »

in 1993 the gnr-hype was over...

From UYI I & II or in-general?

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 05:57:11 AM »

i didnt mean that the fans were hungry because of the wait, it was because GnR were still one of the biggest, if not the biggest, band in the world at that point, and fans wanted more music. If TSI would have been what it was intended to be; an album to tide people over until they got a new album, then TSI wouldnt be looked at as it is today.
ben9785
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 06:00:12 AM »

i didnt mean that the fans were hungry because of the wait, it was because GnR were still one of the biggest, if not the biggest, band in the world at that point, and fans wanted more music. If TSI would have been what it was intended to be; an album to tide people over until they got a new album, then TSI wouldnt be looked at as it is today.
Yeah, definitely, thats what I was hoping to cover by my opinion that people feel bitter towards the album in some way because it robbed them of an albums worth of new GNR, instead they were stuck with that covers album, and the band disappearing off the face of the earth (until now, but some people dont even realise GNR are still going now, or if they do, the whole 'its not GNR' rap and 'wheres slash' etc etc)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: