Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227904 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  "The Spaghetti Incident?".. your thoughts on this album?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Spaghetti Incident?".. your thoughts on this album?  (Read 18821 times)
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 06:03:11 AM »

All the songs are good.? The album gets a bad rap because it came out when everyone was hungry for new GnR stuff and then never got it.

I don't know why in 1993 so many were hungry for a new album. They just got done releasing a double-album with 30 songs only two years before.

Quality over quantity. Although I will agree that 15 years for CD is a pretty long wait.

in 1993 the gnr-hype was over...

From UYI I & II or in-general?

i'd say in general... the grunge movement certainly had something to do with it... lots of "rock"-kids had turned to something else at that time... "nevermind" had been nr. 1 (beating michael jackson); stadion rock or 80's hardrock was getting out of style... so a punk-cover album by a (now) mainstream-act that people were slowly getting bored of was quite a strange idea... but the release certainly shows the i don't give a fuck attitude of gnr.

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
[mango]
Rocker

Chris Pitman = GNR

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 06:04:08 AM »

TSI? is a great album. My "top numbers" would be Buick Makane, Down on the Farm, Attitude and Since I Don't Have You. And the rest of the songs really aren't THAT bad....

M.

18.9.2010 @ Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria - I was almost there
24.9.2010 @ Arena, Zagreb, Croatia - I was there
17.7.2012 @ Spaladium Arena, Split, Croatia - I was there too
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 06:04:54 AM »

That's true. I lived in Los Angeles when TSI got released and nobody really cared about it. And rightfully so...
After the UYI Tour and grunge, people were tired of GNR. They were considered as dinosaurs in comparison with bands as Nirvana, Pearl Jam or Soundgarden.

TSI sounded as millionaires trying to do punk-rock... It just doesn't work. The sound should have been rawer.
TSI is a mistake.

I'll download it !
ben9785
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 06:08:03 AM »

I've been interested in reading your opinions. Thanks alot you guys for your input. keep it coming.
It definitely does show GNR didn't care what people expected or wanted. A theory that is still well enforced by them today..greater than ever i guess. I wasn't there when TSI was released.. Does anyone recall, was there alot of hype or promo surrounding the release of the album? I guess GNR still have the same kind of relevance in the music industry today, except instead of grunge, its more emocore/new metal taking over the industry..

crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »

That's true. I lived in Los Angeles when TSI got released and nobody really cared about it. And rightfully so...
Whats living in LA have to do with anything? ?I live in LA too. ?When the album came out, people knew what it was. "Not a real album" Thats why it wasnt a huge sucess. But GnR were still highly relevant. ?Yeah, so were Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and a lot of other great hard rock bands of that time. But dont try and re-write history and say that people werent into GnR in 93.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 06:13:27 AM »

Whats living in LA have to do with anything? ?I live in LA too. ?When the album came out, people knew what it was. "Not a real album" Thats why it wasnt a huge sucess. But GnR were still highly relevant. ?Yeah, so were Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and a lot of other great hard rock bands of that time. But dont try and re-write history and say that people werent into GnR in 93.

gnr was not such a huge thing anymore... nobody is saying that people were not interrested in gnr at all...

crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 06:16:19 AM »

Where were you in 93?  Guns and Metallica were still the Big two.  The Seattle bands were also huge then, but not bigger than GnR. 
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 06:21:28 AM »

Where were you in 93?? Guns and Metallica were still the Big two.? The Seattle bands were also huge then, but not bigger than GnR.?

in school, so i kinda knew what kids were into at the time... it was slowly - but definitely - getting uncool to be a gnr fan... and the "spaghetti"-record was not well received... also not selling too well... and it's not just because it was a cover album (although this is another reason, i admit).

Axl the Red
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 06:21:59 AM »

no love for human being?

ONE TWO THREE FOUR! beer
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 06:23:56 AM »

no love for human being?

ONE TWO THREE FOUR! beer

and if i'm acting like a king... don't cha know it's coz...

ben9785
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 06:24:52 AM »

gnr was not such a huge thing anymore... nobody is saying that people were not interrested in gnr at all...

Like I said earlier, I don't know how it was at the time, but I'd imagine based on what I've heard/seen/read, the grunge thing was starting to get milked out by that time, Nirvana were well and truly on top of things, the release of IN UTERO, and then Pearl Jam with VS, Soundgarden, and other bands starting to crop up, but at the same time i'm sure there was a 'market' for GNR in there too, kind of like the 'alternative' to all that.. Just like how emocore and the new wave of american metal scene are both two very popular 'divisions' of rock/metal, but in their own separate areas or whatever, along with Metallica etc, and then, a point clarified by Kurt Cobain, was crossover fans, like macho GNR kids who liked Nirvana as well, so I'm sure their collective fanbases could have spilled over each other as well
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 06:39:48 AM »

no love for human being?

ONE TWO THREE FOUR! beer

and if i'm acting like a king... don't cha know it's coz...

i'm a human being
diablo280273
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 06:46:18 AM »

Saying that people 'round 1993 didn't care that much about GnR anymore because of the whole grunge thing is bullshit. I can remember that era very well and GnR were still the biggest band around in those days. When the subject of the whole hairmetal movement beeing killed by the grunge comes along it always irritates me when the are saying that GnR were also part of that hairmetal movement.
GnR were very very above all those other hairmetal bands. They were the biggest band on the planet and there is just no fucking way that grunge killed the popularity of the band just like it couldn't touch bands like Aerosmith, Metallica and U2. The only thing that made the attention in the band fade away was the lak of info and the silence in the 6 years after that.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 06:53:21 AM »

i love "ain't it fun", "human being" and "black leather"... the other songs are quite ok, but i'd rather stick to the originals... for a punk-cover-album i also think it's overproduced and duff definitely has too many vocal-parts...

...and plays too many instruments.

gnfnr_87
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 06:54:04 AM »

I thought this album was great, despite the previous albums obviously being better and more popular.  This was something very different from them, which was in fact a good thing unlike other people who think it was a bad thing.  Sure it has a strange album cover and title but realisticly it was nice to hear some more of their less mainstream stuff as well.  I'm no big fan of punk at all, but these songs are like re-done and sound punky but with a GN'R feel IMO.  My favourite songs on the album are New Rose, Down on the farm, human being, raw power, Attitude and Look at your game girl.  Axl's singing on LAYGG is amazing and to hear his voice in such a way at the very end of this album was great and made up for the one song I don't like before this 'I don't care about you'.  That and 'Since I don't have you' are the only tracks I don't dig so much on TSI.  It was nice to hear more of Duff too and It was a cool idea to create one song where he plays everything  ok  The only other bad thing I can think about with this record is that it is true what they say, this album had a sense of the band breaking up, as said by Slash.

@ Birmingham NEC, UK 25.07.06
@ Birmingham NEC, UK 17.10.10

www.myspace.com/gnfnr_87
www.freewebs.com/gnfnr_87

Fuck all hoarders
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 06:57:38 AM »

It was nice to hear more of Duff too and It was a cool idea to create one song where he plays everything? ok? The only other bad thing I can think about with this record is that it is true what they say, this album had a sense of the band breaking up, as said by Slash.

this album IS the band breaking apart... and yes, the cover/booklet is terrible.

W. Adam S
Rocker

...Gone to the toilet

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 06:59:27 AM »

I love it because its a bit different.

'For Ricky to be any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2006, 07:02:22 AM »

All the songs are good.? The album gets a bad rap because it came out when everyone was hungry for new GnR stuff and then never got it.

I don't know why in 1993 so many were hungry for a new album. They just got done releasing a double-album with 30 songs only two years before.

Quality over quantity. Although I will agree that 15 years for CD is a pretty long wait.

From UYI I & II or in-general?

i'd say in general... the grunge movement certainly had something to do with it... lots of "rock"-kids had turned to something else at that time... "nevermind" had been nr. 1 (beating michael jackson); stadion rock or 80's hardrock was getting out of style... so a punk-cover album by a (now) mainstream-act that people were slowly getting bored of was quite a strange idea... but the release certainly shows the i don't give a fuck attitude of gnr.

I don't know if it was like that in the US, but here in Australia there was quite a bit of excitement over TSI being released. The Estranged video/single was released not too long before this album came out and was a pretty fuckin HUGE deal.
I also remember the excitement my friends and I had (about 10-15 of us) over a new GN'R album coming out. To say people didn't care about GN'R anymore because of grunge is a bit of stretch...

Anyway, I love the album. It was the only GN'R release I was actually around for to look forward to from the original line-up, seeing as I only really got into them in 1992. I still remember a local rock radio station previewing Raw Power and a couple of other songs before the album was out. Man, those were good times. beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 07:10:07 AM »

Whats living in LA have to do with anything? ?
I remember very well the day TSI got released : I went to Tower Records on Sunset Blvd to buy the new record. There were no queue in front of the shop, unlike the day the UYI albums got released... Some radios played Ain't it fun and Rolling Stone did a positive review, but kids were really into grunge, 'alternative music' and rap.

TSI was probably GNR's attempt to get closer to the grunge wave... but it didn't really work. And we all know the problems that followed...

(I don't live in LA anymore. I was there as a student trying to learn English.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:43:03 AM by Slashead » Logged

I'll download it !
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2006, 07:24:45 AM »

Whats living in LA have to do with anything? ?
I remember very well the day TSI got released : I went to Tower Records to buy the new record. There were no queue in front of the shop, unlike the day the UYI albums got released... Some radios played Ain't it fun and Rolling Stone did a positive review, but kids were really into grunge, 'alternative music' and rap.

TSI was probably GNR's attempt to get closer to the grunge wave... but it didn't really work. And we all know the problems that followed...

(I don't live in LA anymore. I was there as a student trying to learn English.)

same situation in austria... in record stores not too many people were listening to tsi; when i asked people/friends how they thought of the new gnr, they mostly answered that they didn't care... yeah, and it's a good point that rap was getting bigger... not to neglect the alternative music beside the "grunge"-ph?nomenon (skater-punk, etc).
but again: people noticed that gnr were back with a new album, some bought it (among them lots of people disliked it), but many had simply turned to something else...and didn't care...
i think it's a simple thesis that in late 1993 gnr were not so important anymore... although they were still no peanuts...

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: