Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:09:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Your opinion about Scott Weiland. "Past and present"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your opinion about Scott Weiland. "Past and present"  (Read 23737 times)
Carlos_f_Rose
« on: November 25, 2005, 11:12:55 PM »

Hi everyone, how are you doing?

? ? This thread is about sharing your opinion about Scott Weiland, but in 3 moments of his life:

Moments:

1.- When he was in Stone Temple Pilots.
2.- When he was declared the vocalist of the supergroup VR.
3.- Now that one album has been released and a second one is coming, lots of concerts (specially "Live 8") and statements.

Opinions:

1.- I didnt really care about the guy, but I liked some of STP songs such as "Interstate love song."
2.- I thought that he didnt really fit with the aspirations and talent of the other guys. But I gave him a chance.
3.- After all the things that happened in all of this time, and specially after watching the Show Live 8, nowadays I can tell you that I admire the man, the frontman has won my admiration and Im waiting for the new VR album. I also realised that the man, has interesting political thoughts and some interesting poetry that not a lot of people is aware about it but its really outstanding.

I respect him but I'm still waiting for a GNR reunion. Dont underrate those guys and their skills, they are certainly going to overwhelm us all. That's all dudes take care and have fun.

Wish me luck down on the farm....

@;--,.-.-,-,.-----tpr
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 11:20:00 PM by Carlos GMS » Logged
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 11:48:42 PM »

1. surprisingly wasn't too familar with STP, didn't think much of the group (now i am a HUGE fan)
2. wow this could be cool
3. holy shit he is a great frontman, period. i also saw him live, he can work a crowd like no other, his stage presence is right up there with the best of them

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Jonathan
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 11:56:56 PM »

Weiland is a great frontman, that's it.  yes
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 03:51:54 AM »

1. surprisingly wasn't too familar with STP, didn't think much of the group (now i am a HUGE fan)
3. holy shit he is a great frontman, period. i also saw him live, he can work a crowd like no other, his stage presence is right up there with the best of them

The same for me, I started listening to STP only after Contraband came out.

Fuck 'Em All.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 08:42:20 AM »

Moments:

1.- When he was in Stone Temple Pilots.

I'd heard of the band but nothing by them so i had no opinion of him then.....

2.- When he was declared the vocalist of the supergroup VR.

I thought fuck who's this muppet what didn't you get Sebastian Bach, you bastards!!!

3.- Now that one album has been released and a second one is coming, lots of concerts (specially "Live 8") and statements.

I think he's a good frontman, the music and him has grown on me, when i saw them live my opinion of him shot through the roof i think he's really good live, a lot better than he is on the album.  I now look forward to his contribution on the new VR record....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:58:50 AM »

I happened to have listened to STP's first album before contraband so i was aware he was from a good group.

Yes when i went to see VR he was great.

html sucks
SADIS
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 10:19:49 AM »

1. I did know the name Stone Temple Pilots but that was about everything I knew. I didn't even know the name Scott Weiland.

2. Oke, who's this guy that's gonna play with half of GNR? Looked up some info about him but wasn't very fond of him.  But still wanted to give him a chance and after hearing Set Me Free I was enthousiastic about him.

3. Nice album, Scott surprised me with his vocal range live and his attitude towards all things happening. I still think he leans a bit too much on 60's/70's icons image. But I am looking forward to the new album and hope it's less grunge and more old-skool RnR.
Evolution
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 10:30:19 AM »

1. I knew who they were but hadn't heard any music by them

2. Recognized the name, but thought "heck, new things from Slash and co, im cool with that.

3. After seeing VR live, really got into him and bought some STP. Now probably one of the best frontmen about.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 11:21:57 AM »

I have always been a stp fan, they were quite big in the usa so I was happy with their pic.. I was only worried about his past.. The man is a great showman and really gets the crowd going... I am happy with the choice and glad the mates helped him clean up his act..
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 02:28:46 PM »

I was a big STP fan before VR. When I found out they got Scott, with all the shitty names that were being thrown around I literally jumped off my seat!
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 10:52:25 PM »

I've always loved Scott Weiland, just because he's so different and not afraid to be that.  I was blown away when I found out about VR, and that it was 3/5 GnR and led by Scott.  Who else could they have gotten to pull it off? 
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »

Yeah, this is pretty much how I was!

After seeing VR twice in Sydney early this year any doubts I might've had as him as a frontman were laid to rest. He definitely knows how to command a crowd.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 11:42:24 PM »

1.  Thought he was unbelievable in STP and had all their albums.  Didn't really know much about him personally and didn't follow him cause I didn't have Internet.

2.  Was excited as fuck.  In one hand I had hoped for a nobody just so there wouldn't be such a "supergroup" label but it turned out alright.  I guess selfishly from a GNR standpoint I also wanted people to notice Slash and Duff more. 

3.  Sort of dissappointed in Scott.  There are some good harmonies on Contraband but lyrically I couldn't connect with him anymore.  When I first heard DIFTK I was like, "are we in fifth grade song writing class".  I agree less is more sometimes, but how many words are there in FTP?  like 7 or 8?  LTA is cool but how many times did he have to say "i'm moving on".  Same can be said with BM. 

Saw him live twice and he was absolutely fantastic, but I just wished he would have put more thought and meaning into his writing on the album. 

And something that's also dissappointed me in Scott since Contraband are some of his statements.  How many times did he say he wasn't going to stoop to the press' level, then only to call them a bunch of 'fucking mosquitoes' or some shit like that in a reply.  Also, when he started campaigning during the last USA election for whoever was a big turnoff for me.  I guess I'm a big believer in music should be an escape from politics and some bands do it (U2) and that's fine, but I don't want every band doing.  Especially not a self-proclaimed "dangerous rock n' roll band". 

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:19:10 AM »

1. I always liked STP. They weren't my favorite but I have a few CD's... I really like Core and Tiny Music... I actually saw the Tiny Music tour back in 96 and it was one of the most amazing shows that I have ever seen. I remember thinking how much of an amazing frontman Scott was and I hadn't seen anything like him since the Gn'R and Axl...

2) I was pumped when VR picked him. I was sooo worried they were gonna pick some 80's butt rocker and teh whole thing would end up a joke..

3) After all is said and done... I think Scott was alot cooler in STP.  I dunno, maybe it is the dumb hat and outfit he always wears on stage... I actually think the bands image is kinda lame with all the big leather jackets and shit... But I think Contraband could have been terrible without Scott... The reason I say this is because he is the only one that really stands out and shines on the album... Great voice, great lyrics, great frontman...

Can't wait to see what he has in store for the next record....

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 04:07:47 PM »

I personally don't care for him.  Firstly, I think he's an asshole.  I was never a huge STP fan, they're ok but not great.  I think his lyric writing leaves a lot to be desired.  All in all I think he a prick weirdo.  That being said he's a good live performer.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:01:28 PM »

1. I would only have been real young when STP were in they're prime, and even so they weren't very big over here anyways. But when I heard it was him to be picked for VR I checked STP out and loved them.

2. Didn't really know who he was but as I said checked out STP and became very excited about him being the singer in VR.

3. Absolutely adore his work, one of the best RnR frontmen of all time, seen him live and was hugely impressed, can't wait to see what he produces for the next album.
RichardNixon
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 06:08:43 PM »

1. Been an STP fan for years, loved that band.
2. Very happy.
3. Love Contraband, can't wait for the new one.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 02:08:11 AM »

I have alot of respect for Scott and STP. Remember, STP carried the rock scene in the mid 90's while GNR were in hibernation. That alone deserves respect. Also, Core is one of the best albums of the 90's.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 05:55:31 PM »

1- I was a huge STP fan. A very underrated band and lead singer. His lyrics, though most of the time didn't make sense, were different. The song melodies amazing. Great voice and an incredible stage performer.

2.- I liked the idea when he joined Slash and the boys. I was looking forward to it and very excited about VR.

3.- Everything changed. Contraband songs are average. Lyricwise I felt very dissapointed. A 24 yeard old wanna be rock star could've wrote Contraband. Also, he seemed to believe the whole world was against him and in every interveiw I read of him, he always said how much pressure the press put on him and how he hated the media blah, blah, blah...

I'm looking forward the next VR album to see how different Weiland is gonna sound. I believe the "Contraband" Weiland was not sincere. Maybe next album will see different.

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 08:18:19 PM »

Seen him twice with STP, once with VR.  The man never ceases to amaze me.  If you look at the progression he took with STP, you'll notice that every album he sounds different.   So I'm excited about what he will bring to the table on the next VR album.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: