Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Classic Rock Dec 2006, 100 Icons of Rock - Slash
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic Rock Dec 2006, 100 Icons of Rock - Slash  (Read 2595 times)
tomass74
Legend

« on: December 11, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »

From Classic Rock Dec 2006

Slash
A True Guitar Hero
by the Rev

Slash was born Saul Hudson in Hampstead, North London on July 23, 1965 but raised in Stoke On Trent. He became a hero to many a guitarist, myself being one. I was brought up listening to my dad's record collection - not the greatest, looking back on it now- but it featured some classic albums. Among them was Appetite for Destruction.

I remember the first time I heard that record and not being able to control myself. I was caught playing air guitar on my bed as a teenager many times by my mum - very embarrassing - but having the record confiscated was just heat breaking. I had it taken off me because I'd become so obsessed with Guns N Roses, Slash in particular,  I'd embodied everything they were about. I began to wear black jeans and a leather jacket to school and grow my hair. I just couldn't put my guitar down and stop listening to GNR. I got in trouble for not doing my homework so my guitar and albums were taken from me. That didn't stop me, though.  I would go round to my friend's house after school, I got my first band together and we'd learn the songs of Appetite mimicking Slash. I would watch the UYI videos repeatedly I remember just knowing that's what I wanted to do.

From then on I would practice every day with my band after school, learning covers and writing our own songs. The inspiration I got from watching and listening to Slash as a guitarist got me where I am today. I still use him as a constant source of motivation and I hold him up as the true guitar hero. Growing up I never thought I would ever get to see him in action until 2004 when Velvet Revolver toured the UK. I went to two shows, Manchester and Hammersmith, and fought my way to the front of both gigs holding on to the barrier and eyeballing Slash all night.

The Rev is lead guitarist with Towers of London. Their debut album Blood, Sweat and Towers is out now on TVT Records.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »

From Classic Rock Dec 2006

Slash
A True Guitar Hero
by the Rev

Slash was born Saul Hudson in Hampstead, North London on July 23, 1965 but raised in Stoke On Trent. He became a hero to many a guitarist, myself being one. I was brought up listening to my dad's record collection - not the greatest, looking back on it now- but it featured some classic albums. Among them was Appetite for Destruction.

I remember the first time I heard that record and not being able to control myself. I was caught playing air guitar on my bed as a teenager many times by my mum - very embarrassing - but having the record confiscated was just heat breaking. I had it taken off me because I'd become so obsessed with Guns N Roses, Slash in particular,  I'd embodied everything they were about. I began to wear black jeans and a leather jacket to school and grow my hair. I just couldn't put my guitar down and stop listening to GNR. I got in trouble for not doing my homework so my guitar and albums were taken from me. That didn't stop me, though.  I would go round to my friend's house after school, I got my first band together and we'd learn the songs of Appetite mimicking Slash. I would watch the UYI videos repeatedly I remember just knowing that's what I wanted to do.

From then on I would practice every day with my band after school, learning covers and writing our own songs. The inspiration I got from watching and listening to Slash as a guitarist got me where I am today. I still use him as a constant source of motivation and I hold him up as the true guitar hero. Growing up I never thought I would ever get to see him in action until 2004 when Velvet Revolver toured the UK. I went to two shows, Manchester and Hammersmith, and fought my way to the front of both gigs holding on to the barrier and eyeballing Slash all night.

The Rev is lead guitarist with Towers of London. Their debut album Blood, Sweat and Towers is out now on TVT Records.

the revs a great bloke. helped me get my gibson thunderbird IV bass guitar.

nice words on slash there.

html sucks
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 02:11:33 PM »

hahha, that's pretty damn awesome!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:17:59 PM »

wasn't towers of london an opening act for some gig on the europeean gn'r tour?
T_Roxie
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »

Yes and they're a great band.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 06:07:43 PM »

yeah, you would like them dude, being into the music you are into.

html sucks
aimz
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 07:49:11 AM »

I was caught playing air guitar on my bed as a teenager many times by my mum
lol, thats well embarrassing!!!!!!!!!! hihi rofl.......classic childhood embarresment though haha
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 08:42:23 AM »

I totally got caught miming a song.. I was probably like 11 or 12 in the height of the 80's hairband shit...  I had weight benching bar as my mic and I was rolling around like an 80's butt rocker.  My aunt walked in and had no idea what was going on... I think she though I was doing strange things.. I am still embarassed lol.....

T_Roxie
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »

lol, thats well embarrassing!!!!!!!!!! hihi rofl.......classic childhood embarresment though haha

That still happens to me... rofl

I'm nearly 20...is that bad? nervous
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:15:23 PM by T_Roxie » Logged
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 02:14:23 PM »

Cool article about a truly great guitarist. Thanks for sharing ok

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
aimz
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 05:39:18 AM »

That still happens to me... rofl

I'm nearly 20...is that bad? nervous
i can feel the shame hihi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: