Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Why was my topic deleted?.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why was my topic deleted?.  (Read 15458 times)
J-Studham
Headliner

wtfmynameisjames

« on: May 04, 2006, 09:13:05 PM »

Why was my topic about gnfr deleted?

JamesnfrStedham.

"Mother fucker its the perfect crime"
MCT
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:30:53 PM »

Because you smell like mustard.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:42:15 AM »

JamesnfrStedham.

Go read the rules and you'll find the answer to your question.

Something you should have done before you started posting.

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 03:37:55 PM »

Shouldn't this be in the Dead Horse section? Roll Eyes

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 01:21:19 AM »

JamesnfrStedham.

It happens all the time. Sadly, there  are  no rules  and everything is arbitrary. Mods  can do what  they want whenever they want. You are  at the mercy of people being reasonable, and often  that does not  happen. It  is a fact.

Your  choices: exit or deal with  it. I speak from experience. I  now  have  exercised "self-censorshp" just like in Putin's Russia--I choose to start threads ONLY after thinking if they will be deleted or not, and even then sometimes  I am wrong. Welcome  to 1933. And welcome to HTGTH.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 01:42:42 AM »

The post was deleted because it was one of 5 that popped up discussing that website. It is clearly stated in Jarmos rules that we aren't to discuss that site. Its not like he said something and Christos or whoever disagreed.

It might not be a bad idea however to post a sticky in the GnR section so the new posters can have a constant reminder of the policy regarding gnfnr.com

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 01:57:27 AM »

The post was deleted because it was one of 5 that popped up discussing that website. It is clearly stated in Jarmos rules that we aren't to discuss that site. Its not like he said something and Christos or whoever disagreed.

It might not be a bad idea however to post a sticky in the GnR section so the new posters can have a constant reminder of the policy regarding gnfnr.com

There is a sticky about the rules, and gnfr.com is included, but most of the newbies don't seem to care...

Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 06:49:24 AM »

I  now  have  exercised "self-censorshp" just like in Putin's Russia--I choose to start threads ONLY after thinking if they will be deleted or not, and even then sometimes  I am wrong.

That's not self-censorship, that's what you're supposed to be doing all the time. If everyone thought before posting, mods wouldn't have so much work. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to think if the topic has already been discussed or not, if it's allowed or not, if it's in the right section or not, etc...Everyone can help keep an orderly board.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 06:58:48 AM »

I? now? have? exercised "self-censorshp" just like in Putin's Russia--I choose to start threads ONLY after thinking if they will be deleted or not, and even then sometimes? I am wrong. Welcome? to 1933. And welcome to HTGTH.

It's 2006, I think it's reasonable to assume people who can login, click on links and use the computer to actually know how to use the search, how to read (for example the posting guidelines) and so on.

Maybe you think it's censorship when you have to think before posting. For your own sake I hope you occasionally think before you speak in your day to day life....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:17:25 PM »

I? now? have? exercised "self-censorshp" just like in Putin's Russia--I choose to start threads ONLY after thinking if they will be deleted or not, and even then sometimes? I am wrong. Welcome? to 1933. And welcome to HTGTH.

It's 2006, I think it's reasonable to assume people who can login, click on links and use the computer to actually know how to use the search, how to read (for example the posting guidelines) and so on.

Maybe you think it's censorship when you have to think before posting. For your own sake I hope you occasionally think before you speak in your day to day life....

/jarmo

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly take it into consideration.
1. censorship is indeed  different from thinking. If you read my post carefully, the nuance is clear.
2. when I start to write my 12th academic book in the autumn, I will take your advice and try to put some  thought into it. Wink
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 08:09:37 AM »

1. censorship is indeed? different from thinking. If you read my post carefully, the nuance is clear.
2. when I start to write my 12th academic book in the autumn, I will take your advice and try to put some? thought into it. Wink

There is a pretty big fundamental difference between "moderation" and "censorship".

Since you're an acedemic, apparently, how would you feel if one of your students sat in your classroom and constantly derailed the topics of conversation?? Or revisted unrelated topics that were discussed previously?? Or started talking about Calculus during your Comp and Lit Lecture?? ?Not only would it be frustrating to YOU, as the teacher, trying to get your point across, but it would be frustrating to the other students who were trying to get something out of your lecture.

Structure is not censorship.? Moderation is not censorship.? If you disagree with the "bent" and direction that moderation takes in this forum (and I think they are both pretty lenient and pretty clear what the rules are), perhaps it's best not to complain about it (since you know that's not going to be effective), and either do something about it or go to a forum that more closely meets YOUR ideals of what moderation should be.? It seems a simple concept that any acedemic should have no issue comprehending.   In fact, you even mention is in your post.  So why continue to complain when you know it has no effect?  Or do you think it might sway posters into leaving as well? 

To the OP:? gnfr is a subject, given it's controversial nature, that jarmo thinks best left off the board.? If you want to discuss it, I know chinesedemocracy.com has/had a huge thread on it going.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 08:50:11 AM »

What is beyond me is that people actually still believe whatever is going on at gnfr.com...I mean, hasn't anyone realized that this guy...whoever he is - hmm whatever...always puts his "insider's info" or whatever you call it after it happens?? I mean come on, give me a break. Some lame guy puts up a fake "complete CD leak" on mininova...after a few hours it's become very clear that it's fake. And then, oddly enough gnfr.com is updated and the guy posts something like "Don't be fooled by fake leaks" or whatever (sorry I just looked at it real quick). Oh yeah, that must be his insider's info.
I guess in a way, it's good that it gets people's minds occupied while waiting for the CD, trying to solve "riddles" which do not have a point really. Wasn't he supposed to give out some real info after a countdown about 4 years ago? Hmmm...

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 09:10:07 AM »

Will.....

You're discussing what we're not supposed to discuss.

Smiley

Though I will say a few things, since you brought it up:

1) At this point, it being "real" seems pretty remote.

2) To the sites credit, it did relaunch just hours before the new PR that Axl and the band released about Rio and Storming NYC.

3) Most of those following it are doing so for the "right" reasons.? Because it's interesting and a neat mental excersize.? I've posted, a few times, over at cd.com warning people that management has said it's not legit, and informing them of what happened back in '02...so not to expect too much.

4) And yes...the countdown thing was pretty much when gnfr.com jumped the shark.? Man, that pissed us all off.

Together again,
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:27:04 AM »

You're discussing what we're not supposed to discuss.

I had to get this off my chest because this gnfr.com thing really gets on my nerves. lol

4) And yes...the countdown thing was pretty much when gnfr.com jumped the shark.  Man, that pissed us all off.

And yet, people still believe in it. Grin

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 12:14:08 PM »

1. censorship is indeed? different from thinking. If you read my post carefully, the nuance is clear.
2. when I start to write my 12th academic book in the autumn, I will take your advice and try to put some? thought into it. Wink

There is a pretty big fundamental difference between "moderation" and "censorship".

Since you're an acedemic, apparently, how would you feel if one of your students sat in your classroom and constantly derailed the topics of conversation?? Or revisted unrelated topics that were discussed previously?? Or started talking about Calculus during your Comp and Lit Lecture?? ?Not only would it be frustrating to YOU, as the teacher, trying to get your point across, but it would be frustrating to the other students who were trying to get something out of your lecture.

Structure is not censorship.? Moderation is not censorship.? If you disagree with the "bent" and direction that moderation takes in this forum (and I think they are both pretty lenient and pretty clear what the rules are), perhaps it's best not to complain about it (since you know that's not going to be effective), and either do something about it or go to a forum that more closely meets YOUR ideals of what moderation should be.? It seems a simple concept that any acedemic should have no issue comprehending.? ?In fact, you even mention is in your post.? So why continue to complain when you know it has no effect?? Or do you think it might sway posters into leaving as well??

To the OP:? gnfr is a subject, given it's controversial nature, that jarmo thinks best left off the board.? If you want to discuss it, I know chinesedemocracy.com has/had a huge thread on it going.

I agree with you 100%--there is a huge difference between moderation and censorship, and indeed, between moderation and self-censorship. One need not be an academic to understand this basic difference. My point, which spoke directly to the thread, was that one has to exercise self-censorship (which entails thinking) when starting a thread. Why? Because some threads are deleted for no good reason at all. Arbitrarily, at the whim of  whoever is the moderator at the time. No reason, no basis, no consistency, just 'I do it because I can.' It has happened to me time and time again, especially in The Jungle, which should be the most lenient of all. Thus, one has to try to predict what will be an 'acceptable' thread to the mods and hope that one has guessed correctly.

Thus, I am not talking about staying on topic (I agree with that policy), and I am not talking about insults or other infractions, with which  I also agree. I am talking about the arbitrary use of 'power' by some mods to delete threads with no reason other than they can. That is a real problem I have encountered in The Jungle. And that is why there are frequent threads in the Admin section asking 'why was my thread deleted.'
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »

And that is why there are frequent threads in the Admin section asking 'why was my thread deleted.'

Because in many cases the thread was merged with a similar one. It appears like it was deleted because it might not have the same subject anymore.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 12:26:06 PM »

I agree with you 100%--there is a huge difference between moderation and censorship, and indeed, between moderation and self-censorship. One need not be an academic to understand this basic difference. My point, which spoke directly to the thread, was that one has to exercise self-censorship (which entails thinking) when starting a thread. Why? Because some threads are deleted for no good reason at all. Arbitrarily, at the whim of? whoever is the moderator at the time. No reason, no basis, no consistency, just 'I do it because I can.' It has happened to me time and time again, especially in The Jungle, which should be the most lenient of all. Thus, one has to try to predict what will be an 'acceptable' thread to the mods and hope that one has guessed correctly.

Thus, I am not talking about staying on topic (I agree with that policy), and I am not talking about insults or other infractions, with which? I also agree. I am talking about the arbitrary use of 'power' by some mods to delete threads with no reason other than they can. That is a real problem I have encountered in The Jungle. And that is why there are frequent threads in the Admin section asking 'why was my thread deleted.'

Honestly, I've not seen a thread deleted, in any section, that didn't violate the rules.

The one mentioned by the OP, for example, was discussing gnfr. ?The rules clearly state that topic is a no no. ?No self-moderation there, other than to be able to understand the rules, which you agreed to when you created your account and took on the priviledge of being able to post here, and abide by them.

In the Jungle, for the longest time, political threads were (and may still be) considered a no no. ?And it said so in a post at the top of the page. ?Again, no self moderation other than understanding the rules and abiding by them.

That, of course, is not to say it hasn't happened. ?But the fact of the matter is that when the person POSTING a thread complains about it's deletion, and asserts it didn't violate any rules...you must admit the source is not exactly the most unbiased on the matter. ?Not knowing the content of the posts, it's tough for me to give you an objective view, too.

But it still leads us back to the fact that, if you disagree with the mods use of their power, why stay and complain when you know it will have absolutely zero effect? ?Unless you percieve that you are going to alert the rest of the membership to this percieved injustice?

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »

And that is why there are frequent threads in the Admin section asking 'why was my thread deleted.'

Because in many cases the thread was merged with a similar one. It appears like it was deleted because it might not have the same subject anymore.

/jarmo

And couldn't he just check his last posts to see where it had appeared?

I'm not being snarky, I'm just not exactly sure how that feature works...if it moves, does the link in your last posts change or does it point to the "broken" message?

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 12:42:03 PM »

Yes, the posts should show up in the latest posts list.

/jarmo

makane
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »

Are you planning on doing something for the weekend? ie. you could remove the ability to create new threads if you have under 20 posts or something?
The board will be bloated. It would be nice to actually find the real info from the garbage can after the shows.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: