Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Swine Flu Outbreak
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swine Flu Outbreak  (Read 25273 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »

I feel this topic may deserve its own thread.  I feel its very serious. 

Janet Napalitono may not feel like its a "big deal" and that we are "over reacting" but I would rather be prepared and ready than not be ready like we were for Hurrican Katrina.  Countries in Europe have shut down passengers from the US and Mexico.  Why are we not acting like them?  The number of infected people in America doubled in one day.  Had the kids in New York listened to our warnings about going to Mexico during the drug war, they would not be infected. Had Janet demanded more caution and advised stronger not to go, maybe less Americans would be infected. Its scary and real what could happen.  I pray this thing passes, but the numbers and rate its growing are scary.

Thoughts?
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:36 PM »

Mmmmm, bacon  drool

Axl is God.
Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »

About 5 years ago when I was taking Biology, my teacher brought up the deadly flu outbreak of 1918. At least 20 million people were killed by it,and although we never found a cure it suddenly stopped.

Since then I have been anticipating a return of the bird flu in some form. I agree that we should take precautions. Its always better to be safe then to end up with another case of mass deaths. This could turn out to be something we should be extremelly concerned about or it could go away, but I wouldn't risk it.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »

Flu's often occur at spring and yes, can kill weak and elderly people.

I think the mutation is the sole reason for the extra alerts, unless it something else. Mexico...

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »

Most deaths so far are people between 20-40 years old.  Now, Mexico does have some dirty places, and some nasty water, and not the best hospitals, but still, the numbers are down right scary.  I don't like this passive tone Janet is taking.  I want to nip this thing in the bud before we have major issues.
Annie
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:39:40 PM »

I'm scared. It's just a matter of time before we get patients at our hospital. Take this homepathic herb ASTRAGALUS as a preventive. It boosts your immune system, and it has anti-viral properties.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:51:01 PM »

File it with SARS and all these other end of the world bullshit scare tactic diseases.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:30:38 AM »

File it with SARS and all these other end of the world bullshit scare tactic diseases.

I agree.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:40:07 AM »

Most deaths so far are people between 20-40 years old.  Now, Mexico does have some dirty places, and some nasty water, and not the best hospitals, but still, the numbers are down right scary.  I don't like this passive tone Janet is taking.  I want to nip this thing in the bud before we have major issues.

well Mexico as other places in the world have indeed dirty places, but what does that have to do with the flu? the principal point of the flu eruption was here in Mexico city, not in a dirty place. it has nothing to do with the water, all the big deal that Americans do about the water in mexico is nonsense, you just have to know something,in Mexico the water its not sanitised in the plumb pipes, so you dont drink it directly from the pipe. so in houses people have filters or they boiled the water or you buy it in bottles. its not that the water its dirty and its going to kill you. i hope this flu thing is resolved quickly, what seems weird its why in Mexico City? they said that people from the US got sick at the spring break, but the spring break its in the beaches, cancun, acapulco etc.  so why the eruption has been stronger here? and not in those places?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:50:56 AM »

well Mexico as other places in the world have indeed dirty places, but what does that have to do with the flu? the principal point of the flu eruption was here in Mexico city, not in a dirty place. it has nothing to do with the water, all the big deal that Americans do about the water in mexico is nonsense, you just have to know something,in Mexico the water its not sanitised in the plumb pipes, so you dont drink it directly from the pipe. so in houses people have filters or they boiled the water or you buy it in bottles. its not that the water its dirty and its going to kill you. i hope this flu thing is resolved quickly, what seems weird its why in Mexico City? they said that people from the US got sick at the spring break, but the spring break its in the beaches, cancun, acapulco etc.  so why the eruption has been stronger here? and not in those places?

Great point!  I thought this started south of a pig farm where pig waste was dumped into the river or something and they quaritined the whole town not long ago and killed all the flies and mosquitos...  All I know is this thing is real.
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:07:55 AM »

the secretary of health here in Mexico indeed said that they now know of a new case, in february a 4 years old kid got sick in veracruz, the comunity openly said in that month that it was probably the farm of pigs that was in the comunity, but nobody did a thing, until now, they tasted a sample of the boy that they kept and result positive. that means that since february something was going on. the kid is alright, the mistery of why the flu is stronger on  Mexico city continues for me. maybe because theres 20 million people here, and the virus spreads faster between persons.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:03:42 AM »

Remember bird flu anyone?....

*tumbleweed*

Exactly. Scare tactics. The last flu was ment to be an epidemic too and shit everyone up and jack shit went down thank god. Aslong as your country isnt a dirty shithole. Im sure we can do a decent job at containing it.

html sucks
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:46 AM »

the secretary of health here in Mexico indeed said that they now know of a new case, in february a 4 years old kid got sick in veracruz, the comunity openly said in that month that it was probably the farm of pigs that was in the comunity, but nobody did a thing, until now, they tasted a sample of the boy that they kept and result positive. that means that since february something was going on. the kid is alright, the mistery of why the flu is stronger on  Mexico city continues for me. maybe because theres 20 million people here, and the virus spreads faster between persons.
Weather conditions. heat.

Perhaps since its desert your air is harder to breathe, very dusty. Making it harder for people to cope with the disease.

html sucks
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »

I was looking for a topic on this yesterday, almost started one too hihi

I think that any flu outbreak that kills people in their prime (rather than infants/children and the elderly) has to be taken seriously.  Especially one that is transmitted person to person easily.  In today's world, any illness that has an incubation period of a day or more is going to travel far and fast.  That means that a person can feel fine for days after being infected, and would spread the infection where ever they went.  People travel around ALOT.

One good thing that I've seen in the last day or so of coverage is that the disease seems to diminish in intensity as it spreads.  So it may not be as deadly as first supposed. 

I'll tell ya though.....I was scared for a while there.  My 9 yr old daughter had been coughing a little bit last week. She went on her first sleepover camping trip over the weekend, right when this news broke.  I can't tell you how worried and scared I was, reading the symptoms and everything.  I had no way of getting in contact with her and had almost convinced myself that she had the damn flu! hihi

She's fine, it was just allergies (I think), but wow, what a scare!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »

Just don't kiss any pigs and you should be fine  Tongue

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »

^Ladypigs?

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:37:52 PM »

Anyone ever see "Outbreak"? Looks like we're gonna have to quarantine Mexico and eradicate the problem.  hihi

Axl is God.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »

Right now: File this under "Media scare".  Right now.

Could it turn into a pandemic?  Sure, so could any of the hundreds of thousands of cases of flu seen every year in the US.  But so far, the cases seen in this country have been relatively mild...even amongst those who were infected in Mexico.  No deaths...not even any real serious manifestations.  People are being prudent about seeking treatment if they've been to Mexico, been exposed to someone who has, etc..and that's the key: Catching it early.  It sounds like most of the deaths are coming from closer to "ground zero". In other words, as this thing jumps...it doesn't look like it's getting stronger, but like it's getting weaker.

At the very large health care institution I work at, we're taking all the normal precautions when the CDC starts sounding their warning bells.  Hand washing, keeping anyone appearing infectious out of the ICU's, Pediatric areas, seperated in the ED's, etc.  But nobody here is really worried, yet...and I work amongst some of the world's most prominent experts on infectious disease.  They're "Just in case" precautions.

Now, if you're in Mexico...I'd be more concerned.  If you're feeling like you've got the flu (fever, congestion, body aches) GO TO A DOCTOR.  Don't sit at home and wait to see if you get better....and for gods sake, don't go out to public places or come in contact with young children or the elderly.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »

Just don't kiss any pigs and you should be fine  Tongue

oh shit.

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »

You fool!

SARS killed billions! How dare you mock it!

Wait..sorry, it was bird flu that killed those billions

....no, er.....Mad Cow Disease?

Fucking idiotic media

HIV kills 20 million a year - but no one cares, it only affects ''Africans'' and ''queers'' right?

WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: