Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony  (Read 26056 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »

Agreed, I don't see how Eddie Vedder being "consistent" is a good thing...

Image wise it's a good thing. At least you can tell he's not trying to be whatever is cool at this moment.

Whoever thinks they're "consistent" with their music, meaning it's all the same, obviously hasn't listened to their albums.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 03:38:55 PM »

Who brought up Axl?

Look, a VR fan with the word Slash in his username!

hihi

/jarmo

Oh really intelligent answer. ?Roll Eyes Oh no I'm a VR fan with Slash in his name! ?hihi

I used Axl as an example because he changed his musical styles and image many times too. Are you trying to say every artist should stick to one genre they start in? Dont be ridiculous.

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 03:39:12 PM »

Where was Scott in 2003?

PJ have been doing what they do for years while playing live in USA and around the world. It's not like they did Temple Of The Dog in 2003 because their careers were dead.

You're faulting him for not touring the world because his band broke up? and that he had to join another band?

Also, what's your argument about him "attaching himself" to things supposed to mean? ?Is "bad ass punk rocker" a trend right now that Scott is attaching himself to? ?I don't think so. ?If anything, an attitude like that would be going against what's popular right now as opposed to copying all the other bands around (which is what you're saying he did in STP).
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 03:52:10 PM »

Thats hard for me to do considering i think Weiland pisses all over Vedder (Im a PJ fan also btw)

yeah, same here. I love PJ, but Weiland has since, I dunno, 1995 and out made better music than Vedder.

Edit: after reading a bit of bollocks here I wanna make a comment...how many frontmen stick with one image through their career?
I know many much bigger examples of musicians changing their look to fit a band or a movement (or whatever else reason) than Weiland has ever done. and Im not gonna make any specific examples, cos then I'll only get a couple of smartasses going "ooh lala look who brought up this person in a thread about something else."..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:05:53 PM by Hillel Slovak » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 04:00:23 PM »

Isn't if funny how people used to rag on Weiland for ripping off Eddie Vedder, calling him a poseur, etc. Now, fifteen years later, who's the one still relevant?

Eddie Vedder, of course.

Eddie Vedder is one of the greatests frontmen in contemporary rock history, and he's also a great singer and songwritter.

Scott Weiland doesnt even have half of the talent, songwritting skills, scenic presence and charisma Eddie Vedder has.

To answer your question, Eddie Vedder is at least still Eddie Vedder. Scott currently is ''the singer of the ex-gunners band''.

You also have to remember that Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam are known worldwide. Scott and STP is basically an american phenomenon.

But people care about VR and their new album.

Outside of 300,000 hardcore fans (US) no one really cares about PJ.

All I can tell you is I live outside america, and both Pearl Jam and VR came to my country to do shows.

Pearl Jam played at a packed football stadium TWICE, and VR once in a 4.500 non-full venue.

the whole southamerican continent loves Pearl Jam and know who Eddie Vedder is. This is not the case of STP or VR. Trust me. USA is not the only country with hardcore PJ fans. Where are the hardcore STP fans outside USA?  Huh
Scott may be the "the singer of the ex-gunners band" to Europeans on a GN'R board, but it isn't viewed that way in America.  Scott is the reason this band is successful.

Well, that is exactly what I said: Scott and STP are an american phenomenon. There is life outside USA, d'you know?

Now... do you really think Scott is the reason VR is ''succesful''? In my opinion, as long as you have three ex GNR members in a band, you can choose Mr T as singer and that band would be succesful.

Scott Weiland was an absolute nobody among GNR fans (and everywhere besides USA) before joining VR. The fact that he's now ''in Slash's band'' doesnt make Scott more relevant than Eddie Vedder. No way. Dirty Mac can do a ''reunion show'' with Scott on vocals and that wont change a damn thing. Eddie Vedder is a real rock star, a heavyweight among rock frontmen, and he never pretended being somebody else, like Scott now is pretending to be a bad ass rocker.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 04:04:18 PM »

Scott is pretty much doing the some thing now that he did when STP were a band.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »

Oh really intelligent answer.  Roll Eyes Oh no I'm a VR fan with Slash in his name!  hihi

I used Axl as an example because he changed his musical styles and image many times too. Are you trying to say every artist should stick to one genre they start in? Dont be ridiculous.

This has nothing to do with Axl.

Just because some of us aren't impressed with your bad ass rock n' roll hero doesn't mean you have to bring up Axl's name into this.

You're faulting him for not touring the world because his band broke up? and that he had to join another band?

Just saying that one guy has been with the same band since 1990 and didn't need a super group to revive his career.

Also, what's your argument about him "attaching himself" to things supposed to mean?  Is "bad ass punk rocker" a trend right now that Scott is attaching himself to?  I don't think so.  If anything, an attitude like that would be going against what's popular right now as opposed to copying all the other bands around (which is what you're saying he did in STP).

It's the band's image so he makes it appear like he's the bad ass punk rocker going against everything and being unpredictable while the record company does market research to pick the single.

It's like in 1992 he had to be grunge, so he went for it. Then he had to be something else and now it's this.

Just my impression of the guy.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

This has nothing to do with Axl.

Just because some of us aren't impressed with your bad ass rock n' roll hero doesn't mean you have to bring up Axl's name into this.

/jarmo

Okay then. Answer my question then: Are you trying to say every artist should stick to one genre they start in?

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »

VR best band of the 00's?

Last I checked The red Hot CHili P eppers are still alive. ok

Also the last couple STP's albums bombed

So how can Scott be the reason VR are huge?

If Scott were that great STP wo uldn't have fell off the planet.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GeraldFord
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 05:19:43 PM »

The last few STP albums did not bomb. SLDD only went Gold, which is a shame. All the others sold at least one million copies in the States.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 05:38:37 PM »

oh please, theres no way peppers are best of 00, they lost all decentness back in 1999

html sucks
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 05:58:01 PM »

Okay then. Answer my question then: Are you trying to say every artist should stick to one genre they start in?

No.

We're not talking about the music. We're talking about the image.

He's not inventing anything new as far as I can tell, he's following trends. Anything to be cool.

/jarmo

Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 06:31:25 PM »

Your forgetting Pearl Jam have had years to build a solid hardcore fanbase VR havent.

And I dont see Scott Weiland changing to be popular, he isnt a black rapper or a whiny emo piece of shit. I personally think hes one of the best frontmen around. And hed be in my all time top 10. I think its all to easy to slag off the guy, especially when anyone else is used as a comparison its for a good reason they did this or that
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2007, 07:00:33 PM »

Your forgetting Pearl Jam have had years to build a solid hardcore fanbase VR havent.

The whole point of a supergroup is that you get fans from all the other bands that they were involved in before.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »

The whole point of a supergroup is that you get fans from all the other bands that they were involved in before.

That's a double edged sword, there's a large segment of the fanbase that will never accept that a member has moved on from their former band and will not give their new endeavor an open minded look/listen.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2007, 08:55:35 PM »

[quote author=RichardNixon link=topic=47338.msg964308#msg964308

But people care about VR and their new album.

Outside of 300,000 hardcore fans (US) no one really cares about PJ.

I guess we'll see how well Libertad sells.  Pearl Jam's last album sold roughly 280,000 copies the first week and around 700,000 in the US to date, I believe

I'm sure VR would be extremely happen to have an opening week that strong.  You also are failing to account for the fact that Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam are very content to release albums without a great deal of fanfare or hype.  VR's last album was promoted as heavily as any rock album I've seen the last 5 years

Don't even bring up touring.  Pearl Jam sells out shows across the world in big venues, the figures don't lie.  A lot more people care about seeing Pearl Jam live than care about seeing VR live
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 09:18:52 PM »

vedder and the doors - break on through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bztmdF5Px0

weiland and the doors - break on through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJwSXRwYNdc

C'mon now, Weiland buries vedder in talent
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2007, 09:34:42 PM »

Quote from: chinese democrazy link=topic=47338.msg964430#msg964430

C'mon now, Weiland buries vedder in talent

[quote

Based upon what?  Your opinion on their performance on a cover of the same song?

You definitely can't reasonably reach that conclusion that Weiland "buries" Vedder in talent based upon their lyrical/songwriting abilities or based on comparing catalogues
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 09:35:42 PM »

That's a double edged sword, there's a large segment of the fanbase that will never accept that a member has moved on from their former band and will not give their new endeavor an open minded look/listen.

outside of the US and maybe canada, the only reason VR were even semi-popular is because of who they are. yeah they put out a decent album. but Slash is there and people go to the shows to see him more than the band.

crowd reactions to the songs tell you the most, it's so easy is played and the place just explodes. none of the other songs get a reaction as good as it yet.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »

No.

We're not talking about the music. We're talking about the image.

He's not inventing anything new as far as I can tell, he's following trends. Anything to be cool.

/jarmo

That's right, that whole cowboy image is so "in" at the moment ain't it... hihi Shocked

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: