Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:35:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post  (Read 36577 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2007, 09:16:14 PM »

America may be a bigger market, but it isn't the only market at all.  So to think that it is the only market would be a mistake for any artist.

If we are describing it comparatively, why would you think we think its the "only market?"
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2007, 09:23:21 PM »

I'm sorry, but that is a narrow-minded and arrogant perspective.

RTK didnt say it America was the "be all, end all of the music world," nor did he say the "music-buying, concert-attending world" ends with America; youre making up statements to argue a point that wasnt made.? I read his post in the context of the threads subject - an American musician.? "Musicians" might be too general a subject, although Id still argue that America is the most desirable market in which to become successful for any musician/entertainer.? The fact is that when discussing Weiland, or any American artist, America is most important.? The rest of the world is less so.? You might not like it, but its a simple truth.? That doesnt suggest the hyperbole you made up.

What he said was that what's important is for someone to make it in America.  Not "most" important, but important, period.  Those are his words, not mine.

I'm saying that is a narrow minded perspective and it SUGGESTS this attitude that frankly many Americans have, that it is the most important place in the world to the point of being the only place in world.

Again, if you read my post, I said, yes, for an American artist it probably is most important to make it in America. But, not all artists are American.  I think that for many musicians, what's most important is making it in their country with their people, and then perhaps, America.  Everyone wants to come home to play in front of big crowds.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »

America may be a bigger market, but it isn't the only market at all.? So to think that it is the only market would be a mistake for any artist.

If we are describing it comparatively, why would you think we think its the "only market?"

Again, RTK said that what was important was making it in America, not "most" important, but important.? You may have been describing it comparatively, but the statement made was not comparative.? That's what I was responding to.?

I am saying that to judge your success solely by how you do in the States would be a mistake for any artist.? I also don't agree with the analogy of America being like the big leagues as there is no comparable hierarchical structure.

Ali
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:28:04 PM by Ali » Logged
RTK
Headliner

« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2007, 11:18:25 PM »

I love how off topic this conversation has become.
Most musicians see success in the American market as the main indicator of their overall success, but Europe, primarily the UK and other large market countries factor in as well, and are not ignored or taken for granted.
Quick question, did STP tour Europe much? And did their albums sell well there too?
Ali
Legend

« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »

I love how off topic this conversation has become.
Most musicians see success in the American market as the main indicator of their overall success, but Europe, primarily the UK and other large market countries factor in as well, and are not ignored or taken for granted.
Quick question, did STP tour Europe much? And did their albums sell well there too?

I don't know how well their albums sold there, but the other day I was looking at some cool photos of STP in Europe. 

How can you find that information out?  Isn't Soundscan only for U.S./North America?  I honestly don't know.

Ali
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55:07 AM »

But the problem is when you Americans tell the rest of the world about how big Scott Weiland is.....

To put things into perspective: Axl Rose, Bono, Mick Jagger, Kurt Cobain.....

Scott Weiland doesn't belong in that group of people who are known all over the world.

I believe that's the point the original poster was trying to make.

/jarmo

I agree and I think that goes along with the point I was making earlier in this thread. Scott became much more famous here in the states due to his constant drug problems. Since STP didn't ever hit as big outside of America I doubt that other countries cared at all when he was going to rehab again and again. It probably would have helped him in other markets if he hadn't had his problems and he could have toured more during those years. I know they canceled a few tours because of that stuff going on.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: