Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:14:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post  (Read 36576 times)
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »

Whilst it's not atrocious You Aint The First isn't very good imo, but one bad song out of the number that Izzy's written isn't too shabby.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 07:33:35 PM »

Funny how when he was in STP, I never really heard Weiland say too much or speak out against anyone. Maybe the drugs sedated him too much back then, but it seems when he starts yappin now, there's not a real pleasant man inside that head of his.
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 07:53:39 PM »

He used the Stones as an extreme example coz obviously everyone would want to join them,

I think that is totally untrue.  In my opinion you would be very hard pressed to find an established vocalist that would want to join an existing band the size of the Stones.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »

You know, if you think about it, him saying that certain band members have used the media irresponsibly and saying those things should've been kept in house, in the course of an interview is kind of hypocritical.  Although, to his credit, he refrains from naming names.

Ali
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »

I think Scott was probably referring to the negative comments Matt made about him and STP in Rolling Stone.  It could be Slash too though, saying stuff like we should get the old GnR back together and play some concerts with STP.  Scott probably didn't like his guitarist basically saying "Yeah, we could get back with our old bands and you guys could open for us"

But, Scott is in no place to talk.  He ran his mouth and insulted Axl on the band's official website, ran his mouth about Chinese Democracy flopping at the Van Halen induction (looks double stupid now with the sales figures of Libertad).  Repeatedly talking shit about Axl in very public forums when a large portion of people interested in your band are GnR fans before VR or STP fans, is not the smartest move.  By insulting him you are insulting GnR, much like Matt was insulting STP

Matt and Scott both have big mouths and love to hear themselves talk, and they say stupid things to the press from time to time.  Scott might also be upset with Duff for airing dirty laundry about how the band was on the verge of breaking up during the writing process.  Who knows, but this band is filled with guys with big egos who can't help but open their mouth when there's a mic in their face and often end up saying something before thinking
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »

WP: When you tried out for Velvet Revolver ...

SW: No, no, no. I need to get this straight for once. I never [expletive] tried out for Velvet Revolver. I've never tired out for any band. I wouldn't even try out for the [expletive] Rolling Stones. Stone Temple Pilots broke up and I was working on my solo album. The last thing I wanted to do was join another [expletive] rock band after all the [expletive] drama I went through with Stone Temple Pilots. I ran into Duff at the gym and he told me they were forming a new band and that I should check it out and see if it's something I'd be into. They gave me two different CDs with about 40 to 50 songs. The first CD was basically atrocious. It was stuff they'd also written with Izzy (Stradlin, another Guns refugee), and it sounded like Bad Company gone wrong. I told them I was busy and wasn't really interested in the idea. About three months after that, I got another CD with some more songs and there were two that I thought were pretty good. One was called "Slither." I thought it sounded a lot like Stone Temple Pilots around "Core" -- like "Piece of Pie or "Wicked Garden." In my head, I was thinking: What would I do with this? If you listen to the vocal on it, it's like very much "Core"-era Scott Weiland.

He wouldn't even try out for the rollings stones ??OK . If the last thing he wanted to do was join a Rock and Roll band then why did he bother joining this band.

Seems like he liked the stuff that was STP sounding and hated the first stuff because Izzy had written stuff on it. I'm not sure the words bad song and Izzy Stradlin have ever been in the same sentence. Well that interview further makes me not like Scott Weiland. From what I can gather from my friends there is a big dislike of Scott.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:56:30 PM by Irish gunner II » Logged
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 10:00:27 PM »

All Bad In VR... Interviews, Relations, Music, Shows... etc...

Pray By All...

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »

Man, this current tour with AIC should be so fucking killer, but an interview like this kind of spoils it.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 11:53:15 PM »

That's fucking sweet that Scott listens to Grandaddy.....I knew those boys from back in the day, probably the absolute coolest group of guys you could ever meet and hang out with.  Too bad they broke up. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 01:12:46 AM »

I'm not really surprised. Libertad IMO wasn't all that great. I do feel that after their obligated third album, we're possibly going to see a split. Maybe Slash will work on that solo album he was thinking about. That would be cool.

Fuck 'Em All.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 01:34:12 AM »

Like the bookend to grunge that he is, he wouldn't even try out for the Stones man!?? confused

hihi I think you might have pissed the point completely.

If you read it in its proper context he just means - how can i put this - that he believes he has achieved too much in his career, and that he has too much pride to try out for other bands (or too big an ego, if you like). He used the Stones as an extreme example coz obviously everyone would want to join them, but he's saying that he would have too much pride or whatever even to audition for the stones. Make sense?

I wouldn't read too much into the atrocious comment - its probably something the band all laughed about since. I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the "big fat paycheck for two soundtracks" comment.

Too much pride to audition for the Stones - maybe when he gets as big as The Stones he can say that..... Roll Eyes
I made my comment in the context of his grunge statement - make sense?
Besides Pearl Jam aren't grunge!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 02:20:40 AM »

Too much pride to audition for the Stones - maybe when he gets as big as The Stones he can say that.....

Many artists consider joining an established act and playing predominantly other people's material as selling out their artistic integrity. If you want to use that definition as having too much pride, then we are talking about the same thing. You think any front man worth his salt would want to join a band, even one as big as the Rolling Stones, so that they could sing Mick Jagger songs all night? Slash would never join an established group to play someone elses guitar parts, just as Axl wouldn't have ever joined a band to sing other singers music.

Saying you wouldn't tryout for the Stones or any other big established band is not having too much pride, it is having self-respect and artistic integrity. I can't believe any artist out there who has helped build a band into a major act could ever join another established act as riding someone elses coat tails could never give them the satisfaction they got from doing it on their own.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 02:34:05 AM »

Any artist would jump at the chance to perfrom with The Stones as a way of improving their art.

Axl really benefitted from it when he did it - maybe Scott is referring to this in a round about day and is again revealing his jealously.

You see, Scott performing with The Stones is a yawn, Axl performing with THe Stones is exciting.

You should have seen Tina Turner and Mick at Live Aid - Did Tina sell out?

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 02:35:47 AM »

You should have seen Tina Turner and Mick at Live Aid - Did Tina sell out?

That was amazing, as was her performance with Eric Clapton.  (If I remember, correctly.)

The guys in VR aren't getting along so good these days eh?
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 02:37:43 AM »

Any artist would jump at the chance to perfrom with The Stones as a way of improving their art.

Axl really benefitted from it when he did it - maybe Scott is referring to this in a round about day and is again revealing his jealously.

You see, Scott performing with The Stones is a yawn, Axl performing with THe Stones is exciting.

There's a difference b/w performing with the Stones and joining them. Figure it out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:48:46 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 02:40:38 AM »

There's a difference with performing with the Stones and joining them. Figure it out.

AS if The STones would ever consider Scott as member is such a funny thought.

If he used a lesser example of a band for his comment, I could perhaps take him more seriously.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 02:46:08 AM »

There's a difference with performing with the Stones and joining them. Figure it out.

If he used a lesser example of a band for his comment, I could perhaps take him more seriously.

Obviously what he was trying to imply completely went over your head.  Never mind.

Fuck 'Em All.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 02:47:49 AM »

Obviously what he was trying to imply completely went over your head.? Never mind.

No, I got what he said - I just picked it pieces. People are talking about Weiland and artistic integrity in the same sentence here! Sorry!  no

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »

Wow, very touchy about whether or not he 'tried out' for VR.? I guess it's a clash between his pride and insecurities that makes it a sensitive issue.? However, the subsequent quote:

"Do the songs, get a big paycheck and if you find out you work well together, just take it from there."

makes it clear that there was going to be a trial period on both sides, which is completely understandable in the circumstances and there's no shame in admitting it.

As for the 'atrocious' comment on the material written by Izzy, Slash and Duff; unnecessary and disrespectful to your fellow band members, and another example of Scott engaging mouth before brain.? Same goes for this:

"But lately, there's been some things that have happened that definitely shouldn't have happened -- where band members have irresponsibly used the media as a tool and said things that they shouldn't have said. And that's [expletive] blasphemy, because a band should be a safe haven regardless of what goes on. It doesn't matter what kind of problems a family is having; it should always stay in the family."

Quite apart from the hypocrisy of this remark, I'd have thought that pissing off your fellow band members just before you go on tour would be something that even Scott would recognise as an unwise move.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »

Too much pride to audition for the Stones - maybe when he gets as big as The Stones he can say that.....

Many artists consider joining an established act and playing predominantly other people's material as selling out their artistic integrity. If you want to use that definition as having too much pride, then we are talking about the same thing. You think any front man worth his salt would want to join a band, even one as big as the Rolling Stones, so that they could sing Mick Jagger songs all night? Slash would never join an established group to play someone elses guitar parts, just as Axl wouldn't have ever joined a band to sing other singers music.

Saying you wouldn't tryout for the Stones or any other big established band is not having too much pride, it is having self-respect and artistic integrity. I can't believe any artist out there who has helped build a band into a major act could ever join another established act as riding someone elses coat tails could never give them the satisfaction they got from doing it on their own.

Maybe he was bashing the guys that are currently in GN'R  hihi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: