Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:47:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VELVET REVOLVER Confirmed For KROQ L.A. INVASION
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VELVET REVOLVER Confirmed For KROQ L.A. INVASION  (Read 27603 times)
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »

Axl doesn't sing It's So Easy by himself most of the time, as for some of the other songs people have talked about like Breakdown he has never from what I've heard lowered his range anywhere close to the album performance in a live performance. I'm not arguing that he isn't a tremedously talented individual, simply stating that he is an individual and he would not perform on a lot of VR songs like Scott does and this argument of comapring the two is silly. Scott does a good job of the old Guns classics and they are fun to hear.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2007, 11:46:30 AM »

hmmmm....no I don't think so. Or at least he has never demonstrated that he can go that low.

Is this a joke ? Do you own a GN'R album ? rofl

From down low to high pitched, Axl's range is like a fucking piano.

not live. on most live recordings of ISE, I can't even hear him. I mainly hear Tommy (I think) on live recordings from this lineup, and Duff from the old lineup. he doesn't have a very prominent lower range.

Tommy/Duff's harmony on ISE is higher than Axl's melody.  Listen to Axl talk.  He is a full-on baritone and can hit all those lower notes.  To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2007, 11:49:43 AM »

I think the joke on this board is how great everyone thinks Axl is and that he can do anything. I'll get slaughtered for that but I don't really care. I'm an Axl fan he is a huge tallent but he's a person just like anyone else and doesn't deserve the God-like status that some of you give him. And as was just said Axl's range in the studio and live are two seperate things, and don't start to question me as to have I heard or listened to any of the material. I have all the albums and a ton of bootlegs and have seen them live.
Everyone sounds slightly different and I just don't see Axl pulling off Set Me Free as Scott did, just the way Axl does the end of Patience different than Scott. Vocalists are individuals and they are different, if they weren't music wouldn't be too exciting.

Range is range.  If you can hit a note in the studio, then you can hit it period.  The only variable is the amount of air supporting the voice, which is probably going to be less for Axl live because he runs around so much.

He can sing the verses in "Set Me Free", no problem.  That was my point.  Not all this crap about giving Axl God-like status.  It's not like Scott Weiland is Barry White for godsakes.

Ali
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »

It's all personal preference for me..

As for high end, I'd much rather listen to Axl's screech than anything Scott does in that range.

Low end's a different story, I prefer Scott's tone and richness to anything Axl has to offer in that register.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »

It's all personal preference for me..

Low end's a different story, I prefer Scott's tone and richness to anything Axl has to offer in that register.

Well... I absolutely love Axl?s tone in Don?t Cry which I reckon to be quite low comparing to other Guns songs. Actually, the songs I like most to hear Axl?s voice are those where it is lower... like as I said Don?t Cry and Civil War.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »

A friend of mine often sings patience with other friends accompanying on acoustics, which I don't think so horrible. he doesn't go the high pitched bit but it's not as if he was in a cover band that people expect to sound as close to the old GN'R as possible.

NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2007, 01:12:30 PM »

Well there's a difference between a cover band and a band that covers songs in his set yes

The cover band will try anything to stick to the original material. The band will deliver his own version of the song. But VR's version of Patience is not good on the vocal part.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »

Well there's a difference between a cover band and a band that covers songs in his set yes

But VR's version of Patience is not good on the vocal part.

wow... you could try and say something different for once. Saying the same stuff in every post gets kinda boring you know...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
CSS
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2007, 02:03:39 PM »

wow... you could try and say something different for once. Saying the same stuff in every post gets kinda boring you know...

If that's the case, you're both doing the same thing.

What the hell happened here anyway? hihi

It's supposed to be about Velvet Revolver's show at the KROQ L.A. Invasion.
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »

This board is always the same crap. Lots of people at so narrow minded. I've said it before it's impossible to discuss anything with the majority of people cause if you say Scott does a decent job you are associated with calling him "Barry White" as some twit just described or you are dissing Axl. I'm with Falcon on the range preferences Axl does a great job in the high range and Scott in the low range. And you know what, that is personal preference and I'm entitled to that and not anybody, especially somebody on a board that only listens to one band is allowed to tell me what I should and shouldn't like and what I should and shouldn't feel when listening to music.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »

This board is always the same crap. Lots of people at so narrow minded. I've said it before it's impossible to discuss anything with the majority of people cause if you say Scott does a decent job you are associated with calling him "Barry White" as some twit just described or you are dissing Axl. I'm with Falcon on the range preferences Axl does a great job in the high range and Scott in the low range. And you know what, that is personal preference and I'm entitled to that and not anybody, especially somebody on a board that only listens to one band is allowed to tell me what I should and shouldn't like and what I should and shouldn't feel when listening to music.

Twit?? Very mature response.? Maybe you should re-read what I wrote a little more carefully because you grossly misinterpreted what I wrote.

You said Axl couldn't sing the verses in "Set Me Free".? He can.? He has the range and is more than capable of hitting those notes.? It's not like Scott is a true bass (a la Barry White) using the lower part of his voice, making it difficult for anyone, Axl included, to sing his vocal parts.? That was my point.

No one ever said you couldn't have your preferences as to vocal tone or what you should and shouldn't like.? ?Roll Eyes

Ali
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:39:51 PM by Ali » Logged
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2007, 03:03:34 PM »

Well if you meant it in that sense I apologize. There are way too many insane fans here that attack you when you say something that could be somewhat construed as being anti-GNR. Axl could probably do those low parts as you say, just not sure he would be really effective at it.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »

hmmmm....no I don't think so. Or at least he has never demonstrated that he can go that low.

not live. on most live recordings of ISE, I can't even hear him. I mainly hear Tommy (I think) on live recordings from this lineup, and Duff from the old lineup. he doesn't have a very prominent lower range.

Tommy/Duff's harmony on ISE is higher than Axl's melody. Listen to Axl talk. He is a full-on baritone and can hit all those lower notes. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Ali

yeah, he can hit those notes. just not very powerfully in a live setting.
just like people diss Scott for not doing the high pitched ending of Patience, now, he probably could do it in the studio. but I don't blame him for playing it a bit safer live.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Ali
Legend

« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2007, 04:03:33 PM »

Well if you meant it in that sense I apologize. There are way too many insane fans here that attack you when you say something that could be somewhat construed as being anti-GNR. Axl could probably do those low parts as you say, just not sure he would be really effective at it.

Thanks, man.  It's cool. 

But, for the record, I agree, Scott does have a very nice, rich tone in "Set Me Free" and even more so in "The Last Fight".

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »

Tommy/Duff's harmony on ISE is higher than Axl's melody. Listen to Axl talk. He is a full-on baritone and can hit all those lower notes. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Ali

yeah, he can hit those notes. just not very powerfully in a live setting.
just like people diss Scott for not doing the high pitched ending of Patience, now, he probably could do it in the studio. but I don't blame him for playing it a bit safer live.

It was either Slash or Duff that said that the reason they picked "Mr. Brownstone" and "It's So Easy" to do live is that they are in Scott's range.  Perhaps Scott could hit the high notes in the outtros of "It's So Easy" and "Patience", but I doubt it.  He hasn't shown the ability to do that on any recording I've heard of him, either STP or VR.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2007, 04:42:48 PM »

I just think it's bullshit to even compare Axl to this Weiland character.

It's like comparing a pro to an amateur.

The real thing to a wanna-be.

Obviously some of you think Scott is the first. Poor misguided people.  rofl

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CSS
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »

Obviously some of you think Scott is the first.

I don't.

But I still think that it's unfair to label him as a poor frontman and singer.

Then again, it's all up to opinions.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2007, 05:17:25 PM »

Obviously some of you think Scott is the first. Poor misguided people.? rofl

/jarmo

lol who does think like that? I mean... we?re in a Guns forum... and we?d come here to say Scott "was first"? It?s kinda stupid but alright... To be quite honest, I don?t quite like Scott. He?s by far the VR member I like the least. I don?t like his style, his dance and his megaphone. But does it give me the right to say he ain?t a good professional on what he does? Or that he can?t sing? Nope... I don?t think so.  Obviously, being a Guns fan... it doesnt even cross my mind to say Scott is a best frontman than Axl... He ain?t... he never will be. But no way I?ll start disrespecting the guy because of my opinion. At least this is my civilized way of seeing things.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2007, 05:48:10 PM »

I'm glad you're so civilized.  ok

I just think the guy is boring and not even among the best frontmen of his generation.

It's like he wants to be up there so bad and tries really hard to be something he's not.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2007, 05:50:41 PM »

I just think it's bullshit to even compare Axl to this Weiland character.

It's like comparing a pro to an amateur.

The real thing to a wanna-be.

Obviously some of you think Scott is the first. Poor misguided people.  rofl

/jarmo

Good to see you hold your opinion in such high esteem.  However, IN MY OPINION, you always overstate your case.  So you don't like Scott, don't feign pity for me b/c I do.  I'm just happy there's room for differing opinions amongst the GnR fanbase.  I love GnR...I love STP, but for different reasons and different tastes.  VR is hit and miss with me.  Axl is a master at what he does, but I have no problem admitting that I feel Scott has created a more diverse body of work, and that's why I prefer him.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: