Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 10:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227899 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Velvet Revolver--album #3
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver--album #3  (Read 32291 times)
madagas
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2007, 07:28:18 PM »

Smokin, Duff ain't on my team.....sorry. Tommy is overall a more talented artist. I love Duff, but if I had to choose someone to start a rock and roll band with, I would take Tommy.

My lineup would be Tommy, Brain, Izzy, Slash, and Axl.  Just for shits. hihi

Buckethead as a floater!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2007, 07:30:16 PM »

Brian said it years ago when commenting on recording with Axl and how Axl is still searching to fill the shoes of Slash.? Jarmo can find the exact quote. He isn't dogging the new guys, just saying how important Slash was to that "gnr" sound.

Axl has never denied that he did not find a guitar player to "replace" Slash. ?That's the whole reason why he decided to take the music in a direction different from the traditional bluesy rock sound:

Rose: I originally wanted to make a traditional record or try to get back to an "Appetite [For Destruction]" thing or something, because that would have been a lot easier for me to do. I was involved in a lot of lawsuits for Guns N' Roses and in my own personal life, so I didn't have a lot of time to try and develop a new style or re-invent myself, so I was hoping to write a traditional thing, but I was not really allowed to do that.

Loder: What prevented you from doing, like, a traditional rock record?

Rose: Slash.

Loder: [Laughs] But you could have found another guitar player or something, right?

Rose: Well, not really.... Not to make a true Guns record. It's kind of like, I don't know, if you know somebody has a relationship, and there's difficulties in that, and Mr. or Mrs. Right doesn't kind of just stumble into their path, or they don't stumble across that person, they can't really get on with things. Somebody didn't come into my radar that would have really replaced Slash in a proper way.

So once it was really understood by me that I'm really not going to be able to make the right old-style Guns N' Roses record, and if I try to take into consideration what Guns did on "Appetite," which was to kind of be a melting pot of a lot things that were going on, plus use past influences, I could make the right record if I used my influences from what I've been listening to that everybody else is listening to out there. So in that sense, I think it is like old Guns N' Roses as far as, like, the spirit and the attempt to throw all kinds of different styles together.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=200

Slash was extremely important to the music the old GN'R made. ?This GN'R is making different music embracing different styles and influences, hence Slash's presence isn't "missed".

Ali
madagas
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »

nice point Ali...but then again we have his Dec 6th 2006 statement saying he finally thinks he has a "Gnr" record. Of course, it would be nice to actually have an officially released Gnr record.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »

nice point Ali...but then again we have his Dec 6th 2006 statement saying he finally thinks he has a "Gnr" record. Of course, it would be nice to actually have an officially released Gnr record.

Thank you.  And, yes, it would be nice to have that GN'R record released.

Until then, we have Libertad to listen to, which I hope despite its disappointing sales and Weiland's impending second solo album, will eventually lead to a third Velvet Revolver album.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2007, 08:42:16 PM »

Thank you.? And, yes, it would be nice to have that GN'R record released.

Until then, we have Libertad to listen to, which I hope despite its disappointing sales and Weiland's impending second solo album, will eventually lead to a third Velvet Revolver album.

Ali

Great quote discovery!  I am still referring to a quote made by Brian.  He basically is saying how hard it is to find someone to play guitar in a band after having a guy like Slash cause his role was so big.  You need a dynamic muscian to take on the role of a Jimmy Page or Bryan May.... meaning a player that is just as big as the vocalist in every way.  That is why I thought Zakk may be close in that dept cause he too is iconic like Slash and can certainly hold his own.
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2007, 09:10:44 PM »

My reaction to that was: How ironic that it didn't go to #1 when they pushed back the release until July in order to get it out when no other rock records were released. Somebody at RCA must be happy...

Did it make my day better? No.....

Did you cry and lock yourself in your room when the sales figures came in?

/jarmo

I never gave any inference that I cared about record sales so why are you asking me that question? You are obviously suspect to such questioning because you study VRs marketing strategy, record sales, and tour figures like your own personal bible.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »

I never gave any inference that I cared about record sales so why are you asking me that question? You are obviously suspect to such questioning because you study VRs marketing strategy, record sales, and tour figures like your own personal bible.

Yes, I admit. I'm a music fan and I read lots of music news etc.

Did you know The Stones' latest tour grossed the most of all touring artists ever? I must be obsessed with them too.....

Your argument is really weak. Just because somebody likes to keep up with what's happening in the music world, doesn't mean they're obsessed or care about a particular band.

I don't care if you didn't care about sales, I asked you a simple question.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2007, 09:55:08 PM »

Yes, I admit. I'm a music fan and I read lots of music news etc.

Did you know The Stones' latest tour grossed the most of all touring artists ever? I must be obsessed with them too.....

Your argument is really weak. Just because somebody likes to keep up with what's happening in the music world, doesn't mean they're obsessed or care about a particular band.

I don't care if you didn't care about sales, I asked you a simple question.

/jarmo

You didn't ask me a simple question, what you asked was a derogative and rude rhetorical question, I will answer it though, before you reply with another demeaning attacking post like? "you failed to answer a simple question". No I did not, because I don't bother myself with music sales, most of the bands I listen to sell a lot less than Libtertad. (to save myself from you picking apart little parts of my post, I know this not because i follow sales but because they are indie or underground bands)

Your diplomatic approach may blind other people from seeing some of the ridiculous crap you post, but it doesn't work on me. Knowing a fact like which band had the greatest tour ever in the history of music versus knowing record sales, venue capacities, and ticket sales of a relatively low-key band that you don't even like IS apples and oranges, that IS NOT keeping up with the music world. on top of it all, you have the nerve to call my arguement weak directly after unloading something so stupid.

The reason petty arguements persist so long here i believe is because of YOU, you are so stubborn and they way you respond is anatagonizing.? I will accept the fact you don't like or dislike to see VR have poor sales, if you can accept my opinion that I still feel your behavior doesn't support that.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2007, 10:17:47 PM »

Thank you.? And, yes, it would be nice to have that GN'R record released.

Ali

Great quote discovery!? I am still referring to a quote made by Brian.? He basically is saying how hard it is to find someone to play guitar in a band after having a guy like Slash cause his role was so big.? You need a dynamic muscian to take on the role of a Jimmy Page or Bryan May.... meaning a player that is just as big as the vocalist in every way.? That is why I thought Zakk may be close in that dept cause he too is iconic like Slash and can certainly hold his own.

I understand, but you are missing my point. 

You paraphrased Brian May as saying that Axl hasn't found a guitar player to replace Slash.  My point was that Axl has never denied that he couldn't find a guitar player to replace Slash, hence he decided to go in a different direction musically.  There is no void left by Slash because they aren't making the same style of music!!!

And until you hear what Richard, Ron and Robin have done on a record with Axl on vocals, how can you make a judgement as to whether or not they can adequately compliment Axl?

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2007, 12:27:46 AM »

You didn't ask me a simple question, what you asked was a derogative and rude rhetorical question,

crying

First I learn I have no morals and now I'm too rude.

I get attacked day after day by people like you, make a little fun of it because I don't take it seriously, and I'm rude?  hihi

You still didn't seem to grasp the whole idea that it's possible to keep up with shit without actually feeling anything. Whether it's great sales, low sales, lies, bullshit or crappy songs.

Your diplomatic approach may blind other people from seeing some of the ridiculous crap you post, but it doesn't work on me.

Of course not. After all, you're one of those people who can read other people just be reading their posts.

It's almost like you've known me all your life right?  rofl

The #1 reason that I post in this section is all the bullshit I see posted here.

Either in interviews with certain unreliable VR band members or by people coming here to post shit.

If I see something I don't agree with, I say so.

Isn't that what you VR fans are crying about? Freedom of speech? Just because I don't think Slash fans should come to this GN'R site to cry about the fact that he's not in the band anymore.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2007, 12:47:50 AM »

First off, I am not speaking for Axl. I am speculating based on the TIME it has taken.

Why wasn't the album released in March? cause it wasn't finished, why isn't it finished? Cause Axl isn't happy with it.

Why else?

If it was perfect and great, we'd have it. U don't sit on masterpieces.

What makes me laugh though the greatest, is the fact Axl even said in the Kurt Loder interview that he would never be able to replace Slash, Yet u have all these GNR zealots saying how much greater these new guys are than Slash.

Its that kind of thing that truly pisses me off.? Comparing guys who have yet to do anything with one of the biggest, most iconic rock guitar gods ever.

Also, Speaking of the Duff vs Tommy thing, Duff has co wrote way more classics than Tommy and also, Duff AINT PLAYING Tommy's bass parts, i do believe it is TOMMY playing Duff's parts.

Think about that one for a minute.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:49:34 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2007, 02:14:39 AM »

Smokin, Duff ain't on my team.....sorry. Tommy is overall a more talented artist. I love Duff, but if I had to choose someone to start a rock and roll band with, I would take Tommy.

My lineup would be Tommy, Brain, Izzy, Slash, and Axl.  Just for shits. hihi

Buckethead as a floater!

replace Slash with Robin and throw Dizzy into the mix and that wuld be one kickass lineup.  beer
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2007, 03:26:31 AM »

Cant wait for the 3rd Album...First one was good ,it had 5 songs i really liked...I Like the second better..its got 6 songs i really like and i like the 2 unreleased tracks alot too.. I cant wait for whatever these guys release next..  ok

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
Ali
Legend

« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2007, 10:55:24 AM »

First off, I am not speaking for Axl. I am speculating based on the TIME it has taken.

Why wasn't the album released in March? cause it wasn't finished, why isn't it finished? Cause Axl isn't happy with it.

Why else?

If it was perfect and great, we'd have it. U don't sit on masterpieces.

What makes me laugh though the greatest, is the fact Axl even said in the Kurt Loder interview that he would never be able to replace Slash, Yet u have all these GNR zealots saying how much greater these new guys are than Slash.

Its that kind of thing that truly pisses me off.? Comparing guys who have yet to do anything with one of the biggest, most iconic rock guitar gods ever.

Also, Speaking of the Duff vs Tommy thing, Duff has co wrote way more classics than Tommy and also, Duff AINT PLAYING Tommy's bass parts, i do believe it is TOMMY playing Duff's parts.

Think about that one for a minute.

Sorry, D.  But, when you say Axl must not be happy with the record, you are in fact speaking for Axl and acting as if you know what is going in inside him.  Take a step back and look at exactly what it is you are saying.

And I think you are missing the complete point Axl was making in what he said to Kurt Loder.  He said he's never be able to replace Slash in a proper way to make an old school Guns N' Roses record.  Hence, the change in the styles embraced by the new GN'R music.  It's not about Ron, Richard and Robin "replacing" Slash because this GN'R isn't making the same music stylistically as the Slash-era GN'R.  This is uncharted territory for GN'R, musically, so there is nothing to replace.

Ali
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2007, 11:27:19 AM »

Thank you.  And, yes, it would be nice to have that GN'R record released.

Ali

Great quote discovery!  I am still referring to a quote made by Brian.  He basically is saying how hard it is to find someone to play guitar in a band after having a guy like Slash cause his role was so big.  You need a dynamic muscian to take on the role of a Jimmy Page or Bryan May.... meaning a player that is just as big as the vocalist in every way.  That is why I thought Zakk may be close in that dept cause he too is iconic like Slash and can certainly hold his own.

I understand, but you are missing my point. 

You paraphrased Brian May as saying that Axl hasn't found a guitar player to replace Slash. 

and replaced the name.
The name of the guitarist that axl was so attached to that he had to ask Brian to come and help him with erasing the guitarists works from cd. But they weren't erased I guess.  hihi

Smokin It would be great if Robin was compared to jimmy page and brain may  by brian himself but what parts of your post are brians and what parts are yours really?

"Axl was feeling that er he was in a difficult place because the guitarist that he'd been working with on this new album had sort of replaced Slash........but the guitarist that had done most of the tracks had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done....."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »

Sorry, D. But, when you say Axl must not be happy with the record, you are in fact speaking for Axl and acting as if you know what is going in inside him. Take a step back and look at exactly what it is you are saying.

His EXACT words were "I am speculating based on the TIME it has taken."... That means his comment about Axl not being happy with the record is HIS speculation.  That is not "in fact speaking for Axl and acting as if you know what is going on inside him".
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »

the TIME it has taken

I speculate it's simply because chinese democracy would take a lot more time than you have got for masturbation, as he puts himself.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2007, 04:44:06 PM »

Sorry, D. But, when you say Axl must not be happy with the record, you are in fact speaking for Axl and acting as if you know what is going in inside him. Take a step back and look at exactly what it is you are saying.

His EXACT words were "I am speculating based on the TIME it has taken."... That means his comment about Axl not being happy with the record is HIS speculation.? That is not "in fact speaking for Axl and acting as if you know what is going on inside him".

Right, he is speculating, but so is everyone else that speaks for Axl as if they know what's inside him.  So, he is no different.

It is in fact speaking for Axl when you project your speculation onto Axl to explain his motives or thoughts.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2007, 09:54:09 PM »

Jarmo, please find Brian's quote! 

I think Brian was pretty much dismissing the other players as a "real" replacement or that Axl had not found the right "one" yet.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2007, 10:35:15 PM »

Jarmo, please find Brian's quote!?

I think Brian was pretty much dismissing the other players as a "real" replacement or that Axl had not found the right "one" yet.

I searched the entire archive of HTGH's news section and only found these references from Brian May to GN'R:

H: When is The Guns & Roses thing coming? Is that gonna be out soon?

B: Yeah, well, it's a long time project. They'd been really..., from the inception I think it's 5 years [wow] since they started making the record. But they made many many many tracks. [yeah] And now they chosen just a few they want to be on the first new record. And I think it's very good stuff. I was very impressed Axl singing fantastically. [yeah] I mean, actually such a unique sound & style. I don't know if you know his work very much. But.

H: Yeah, yeah, I'm their fan too, Yeah...

B: Yeah, a line is, it's very passionate and very...[hmm] very exciting, you know. And I was happy to play some stuff on that. I think it will be out on..., they talked about a Spring, I think, you know, late Spring probably and maybe they can tour in Summer.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=236

MAH: Speaking of good singers, we've heard a lot of rumours about the fact that you've been doing some recording with Axl Rose. And, in fact, many of the listeners, people including Louise in Inverness, Charlie Dixon, Ravi and Seth Lubin have sent e-mails in saying you must ask Brian what's he been doing with Axl. What's the score?

BM: Okay, well, I have a lot of history with those guys, as you know, because, well, I was on tour with them for a while. My own band supported them, which was great fun. They also did the Freddie tribute with us and I think I regard them as great friends, Axl in particular. And they just said come over and do some stuff. It's a long story, to be honest, and I won't bore you with all the details. But Axl was feeling he that was in a difficult place because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album had, sort of, replaced Slash, because they fell out, sadly. I think that is sad actually because they're both brilliant talents and great with each other. But the guitarist that'd done most of the tracks had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet he didn't want him on the album, I hope I'm not saying too much here, he didn't really want him to stay on the album because he'd disappeared, you know. So, he's sort of feeling a kind of divided loyalty and he said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I played on three tracks and messed around on various other things. But it worked out pretty well, as far as I can tell. And it's very strange 'cause most of the Guns N' Roses people are not there 'cause Axl's sacked 'em all. So you're talking about Axl and the 'new' Guns N' Roses but, boy, is there a lot of energy there and his singing is outrageous. There's some great tracks on it.

MAH: Now this is really interesting because there has been so much speculation about this new album, 'Chinese Democracy' (potentially it's called) and there are many, many people who've spoken to journalists, who've played with Axl over a number of years now, who have laid claims recently that the only one track that Axl has ever laid down a vocal part for is 'Oh My God' but you're saying that there are more vocal parts then?

BM: Oh yeah, there's a whole album of vocal parts. In fact, there's two albums worth that they've got there, at least. They played me everything. Axl actually sat down and made me listen to everything (laughs) and there's some wonderful stuff there.

MAH: How do you deal with somebody like Axl though, when he sits you down and says listen to all of this? I mean can you really critique him and sit there and say, 'D'ya know what Axl, that's rubbish mate, you wanna bin that one'?

BM: Well, Axl sort of holds Queen and our whole thing in a great deal of respect, so I always figure as long as I tell my truth, he's fine, and it's always held out so far. He's always been very good to me. He will tell you if he doesn't agree with what you say, you know, I mean I went in and immediately Brian May opens his mouth and blab, blab, blab and I told him exactly what I thought of the stuff as it was, and some of it he went "yeah", and some of it he went "I couldn't do that". You know, like some of the suggestions and that's it, and Axl's a very emotionallly, kind of, connected person, I mean to the point where he's so intense about every single note that's on there and the solos that I played, he was totally into it, very much in the way that Freddie used to be. You know, Freddie used to go through my solos and say, you know there's this particular note here and, I think, if you did this and this and this. I thought I would go in there, you know, I'd forgotten what Axl is like and I thought I would just go in there and he'd like it. He did like it but he wanted to get into every single take of every single note and, you know, from one day to another Axl would've been in there like from 5 o'clock in the morning 'till 7 o'clock in the morning comping little bits of my solos and saying, 'can you get Brian to try this'. You know, he's utterly meticulous.

MAH: That's amazing. So, what's your position, you've just played this amazing solo, as far as you're concerned, and Axl comes along and says, 'you know what, I really don't like that B flat, or whatever it is, can you just change that?' Do you say..

BM: Oh I'm fine, I don't care because I'm there to deliver, you know, and in this context I'm a session player and people can take what they want, it doesn't bother me. I'll give my best and if someone will make a comment, generally it will be? You know, if someone makes a comment to you about your playing, and it's someone who cares, then it's probably going to do you some good, whether you like it or not. So, I'm always open to that stuff, always. There's always room for improvements.

MAH: Interesting. The other big question on the lips of our listeners this evening, "Would you ever consider touring with Axl, if he asked you to join the band?"

BM: I don't know if I would be up for those long tours anymore, you know, I did that for twenty years of my life, nine months of the year, and I'm not in that position anymore in my life. You know, I don't feel like I want to have that chaotic lack of balance in my life anymore. I dealt with it, and I loved it, but I'm just not in that place anymore. I don't think I could do that. If it was a short tour, it's possible.

MAH: Even if he promised never to ruin one of your solos again? (laughs)

BM: I'll tell you, Axl is a very persuasive guy. He's magic really, he is, you know, and I think he's not always easy, as genius very often isn't, you know, Fred was not the easiest person in the world to get on with, but someone who has that amount of passion and gives a million percent of themselves, you'll take any amount of stuff from, and I would from Axl, I think he's that good.

MAH: Shall we play one of his records? What have you chosen?

BM: Mmm. It's 'Welcome To The Jungle'. I heard this many, many a night because we toured with him all round the States and had a great time and everyone goes 'oh was it really terrible, are they complete bastards?' And I go, no, because they treated us with the utmost respect and consideration and had some very good times.

Plays WTTJ

MAH: Brian May smiling.

BM: Mmm, familiar sound. They were such a great live band, you know, it's one of those moments in time when everything happened in the right way; I think really the last dangerous, magnificent rock 'n' roll band really, so far..

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=250

We may hear more May this year; he spent some time in the studio with Axl Rose, laying down solos for the long-awaited Guns 'N Roses album.

"It sounds great, and Axl sounds wonderful," May said, noting that his contributions are not guaranteed to make that album, to be titled Chinese Democracy.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=352

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: