Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 02:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227928 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  What if...?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if...?  (Read 9293 times)
Elrothiel
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:16:14 PM »

Ohkie... everyone's always goin' on about Nirvana and how they "saved" rock n' roll. Roll Eyes

Well... how bout this for a what if question!!!

WHAT IF NIRVANA NEVER EXISTED!!!?

What would the rock world be like?

Post your thoughts here, and don't say somethin' silly like "Well if Nirvana didn't come along, then some OTHER band woulda done exactly the same thing"

OK.. lets change it slightly then... What if the entire "grunge" movement never happened?

beer
TheRaven
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:22:33 PM »

I don't think it would've made much difference. I think rock was the catalyst for metal, nu-metal and rap. I don't think you'll see any long-term effects on the music scene by grunge. It was more of a splitting off or a diversion than a whole new movement.

Raven
anythinggoes
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:22:49 PM »

well there would be no foo fighters i dont know what effect in america but in England we would of probably be plodding along as we did idont remember any english band being inspired by Nirvana except Bush so maybe they would of been bigger
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »

We'd have a huge hole in the ozone layer and we'd all be baking in the sun because of it.

There's just no way that we could've supported all the hairspray that would have still been in use if grunge hadn't come along.

But seriously, it's tough to say.

I'm not the biggest fan of grunge, or Nirvana for that matter (though I give the devil it's due because Nevermind is fucking brilliant....especially, I think, for those of us who were in HS at the time). ?While I have a slight fondness for flannel, I agree with Axl (on the GTA:SA) that we're not lumberjacks.

You have to realize that Grunge wasn't just a reflection of rock music. ?It was a reflection of our society (and yes, I know that sounds corny). ?It was the antithesis to not only hair metal, but to the sort of excess that the late 80's saw flowing through the entire country. ?It was rock rebelling against itself, on some levels, but even more rebelling against "the norm" and the sort of cookie cutter corporate image that the country (and much of rock music) had sort of fostered in the 80's.

But, of course, that's not your question:

I think Rock would have spiralled, even more quickly, into obscurity without Grunge. ?Grunge, at least, kept it afloat, and relevant, for a bit longer. ?You would have had overblown hair metal acts and underblown "wanna be" corporate rock acts rulilng the roost (you know, sorta what we have today, except it's overblown grunge acts, or nu-metal acts, or you get the picture....). ?

Rock would have "died", essentially (just like it has countless other times in the cyclical music business), and awaited a good shot in the arm from someone who could make it relevant again.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:29:14 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:47:57 PM »

If Grunge and especially Nirvana never happened guitar solos would still exist and people would still sing in high voices, two essential ingredients in rock n roll. Grunge did more to kill RnR than it did to save it.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:52:30 PM »

I think that glam rock would still be popular

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:55:54 PM »

Less people would hate Guns N'Roses.
Elrothiel
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 01:12:12 PM »

Rock would have "died", essentially (just like it has countless other times in the cyclical music business), and awaited a good shot in the arm from someone who could make it relevant again.

Ahhh.... but what would have made it relevant again? What kind of rock would have made rock n' roll relevant AGAIN?

Do you think that perhaps there would have been a slight break, and people would skip out all the random shit that came after 94... and there would have been an influx of complete and utter awesome rock n' roll and everyone would be happy again?

Did Nirvana... in "saving" RnR... actually in fact kill what could have been the best years of rock n' roll ever?

Jeez we're really diggin' in deep aren't we! hihi
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »

I think rock was the catalyst for metal, nu-metal and rap.

You think wrong. Heavy metal is about a Romantic, Indo-European cultural revival, and epic ideals. Rock and roll had nothing to do with it.
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 01:31:22 PM »

I think rock was the catalyst for metal, nu-metal and rap.

You think wrong. Heavy metal is about a Romantic, Indo-European cultural revival, and epic ideals. Rock and roll had nothing to do with it.

Ya think? Well seein as the first metal band (Black Sabbath) were inspired by the Beatles and many after that by Led Zeppelin and Sabbath themselves, and the fact that pretty much the exact same instruments are used, I disagree.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 01:49:03 PM »

Ahhh.... but what would have made it relevant again? What kind of rock would have made rock n' roll relevant AGAIN?

Do you think that perhaps there would have been a slight break, and people would skip out all the random shit that came after 94... and there would have been an influx of complete and utter awesome rock n' roll and everyone would be happy again?

Did Nirvana... in "saving" RnR... actually in fact kill what could have been the best years of rock n' roll ever?

Jeez we're really diggin' in deep aren't we! hihi

That's a good question, but now you're asking for a view into an alternate time line and I'm just not existential enough to give you one.? I don't know what would have "revived" rock or if the dormancy would have just started earlier and lasted as long as it has.

I tend to THINK that, had Grunge (which means no Nirvana, No Pearl Jam,..and lots of others) not come around, we would've just started the dormancy earlier.? You could see some signs of that happening, anyway, just before Nevermind went mainstream.? But I can't say that, had the dormancy started earlier that someone else playing some other type of music might not have come along sooner to "revive" the genre...and led to a reniessance, of sorts.

But I can say that, since Nevermind, the pickings have been slim.? Some bands that I thought might bring rock BACK to prominence (Audioslave, The White Stripes, The Vinyls, etc) haven't really done what I thought they'd do.? Their material HAS been strong...but not strong enough to rest control away from the awful pop music that's invaded.? Not that that surprises me.? I mean...look at the late 70's and early 80's.? There was about a 10 year block of time when pop ruled, and slowly rock took back the ground it had lost, to about 1985-ish.? Then, in the early to mid 90's,? pop came back into prominence and has ruled since.? Again, it's a cyclical pattern that you can follow back dor decades....

Which, of course, means we're due for some rock and roll resurgance sometime soon.? And you can start to see it on the fringes, again....creeping it's way back in.? Hopefully, maybe, someday soon we'll get to see something (*cough* Chinese Democracy *cough*) come along and rip rocks balls back to the forefront of music....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »

Perhaps a better question would be: ?What if the hair scene didn't become a parody of itself and the bands put some thought into their songs? ?Hair metal was dying already, Metallica was helping kids rediscover black jeans a t-shirts and not zebra prints!

Why is grunge so despised on this board? ?Is it because they didn't dress like fags and prance around? ?It was scene about the music and not image.

Grunge was and still is rock.
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 01:59:50 PM »

Why is grunge so despised on this board? ?Is it because they didn't dress like fags and prance around? ?It was scene about the music and not image.

Grunge was and still is rock.

But it is about the music as far as I'm concerned and Grunge music sucked, it was just 3-4 minutes of some guy moaning about how much he hates himself and how despite his millions and millions he's still a miserable old fuck. When I think rock I think of bands like GnR and the likes tearing society a new arse and just basically taking it apart not some guy moaning the whole time. And leaving guitar solos out of his music!
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »

Nirvana does not equal all other bands from Seattle.  Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden, AIC, and Pearl Jam do so much more than "moan".  That we be like saying all Hair bands were just like Winger.

Yeah, November Rain sure was tearing society a new one wasn't it?
Elrothiel
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 02:15:37 PM »

Gilld1... if all you're gunna do is just big up grunge instead of answering the question, then I suggest you just turn around, and walk outta here before someone drags you out.

Don't let the metaphorical door hit yer ass on the way out!

(Just for the record, I don't hate grunge... just not a huge fan)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 02:49:59 PM »

Ya think? Well seein as the first metal band (Black Sabbath) were inspired by the Beatles and many after that by Led Zeppelin and Sabbath themselves, and the fact that pretty much the exact same instruments are used, I disagree.

The instruments don't matter; the notes do. Sabbath liked the Beatles because EVERYONE liked the Beatles back then, and they did do a lot of drugs (Wink), but the musical structures are very unlike rock and roll. Granted, some early songs are rock, like Paranoid, but songs like Into The Void, Black Sabbath, or Electric Funeral are metal. The first wheel was kind of square-ish, you know.

Led Zeppelin is an odd one. They're a blues-rock band at heart, but they have metallish moments, like Immigrant Song, Achilles Last Stand, and the whole "epic" and "folk" feelings that songs like The Battle of Evermore, Black Mountain Side, and so on. Most bands that cite them as an influence probably admire the experimental element of their music, since there isn't a single style that one can put on Led Zeppelin, except "rock", but that's meaningless.

A lot of metal bands respect KISS ( rofl), so I wouldn't put too much weight on influences. When someone's work is 90%+ original, it doesn't matter where the influence is from.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »

Then, Eddie Vedder would be blamed for the start of the Grunge era.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 03:40:38 PM »

Who da fuck are you, skynny girl?  I'm just giving food for thought and it looks like you're starving!
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 03:53:24 PM »

Nothing for me, I'd still have Stone Roses, Oasis, Gnr, Verve, The Who, Zeppelin so I'd be happy as larry

That's a hatrick for Doull
Jonathan
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »

We probably wouldn't have Foo Fighters.. Undecided

And we wouldn't have In Utero..... nervous
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 05:33:53 PM by I have a good title » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: