Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 08:28:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227859 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  is this a good deal on this Marshall?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: is this a good deal on this Marshall?  (Read 10594 times)
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 07:08:10 PM »

I think the DSL and TSL series are solid modern Marshall's. There a lot of good tones in those amps. In the US they are bit expensive for what you get IMO. With the exception of the new Marshall handwired series and JCM800 reissue most Marshall reissues are not like the originals. They are good, but they are not exact clones. No vintage Marshall used PCB construction.

Even Slash didn't use modern Marshall's to record Appetite For Destruction. It was a early 70's Marshall 1959T modified by Tim Caswell into a 70's Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. IMO Slash's best tones were on AFD.

Shocked Greenbacks on AFD? I didn't know that....  I thought he always stuck with v 30's (dunno when they were reissued 50th?).

GB's are my favorite  drool  -bp

electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 07:22:01 PM »

Well peavy never put out anything as good as a 80's marshall. Nowadays marshall sucks, and they cant put out anthing close enought o match the vintage amps they were building during the 70's and 80's. I have yet to hear the mode four, but i havent heard a thing about it either.

isnt the mode4 basically a more powerful 2000? i'm sure there is more to it

I was thinking about getting a vintage head - hiwatt marshall even a twin reverb.? but then it would cost an arm & leg to maintain & wont be dependalbe unless you dump some $$$$ into it.

bp

No.? The Mode4 is a 4 channel amp with NO power tubes.? It is NOT a tube amp.? It's made for high gain metalling... veeery much suited to the nu metal scene and you will find a few using it.? ?Don't expect Slash types to want or start using it.

And my TSL JCM2000 is fucking solid.? Reliable.? No problems.? And I beat the shit out of it dragging it to gigs and practice contstantly through the week.

There are a lot of solid states that are incredible. take my secret clean channel weapon, a Sunn0))) concert lead 100w for all my clean sounds. This thing has been thrown, beaten, probably shot and it will outlast me. Solid states are just that dependable, but then again, they dont have tubes....
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 07:25:43 PM »

I use a solid state for my cleans aswell? Smiley because my tube amp has only one channel

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 07:26:13 PM »

Well peavy never put out anything as good as a 80's marshall. Nowadays marshall sucks, and they cant put out anthing close enought o match the vintage amps they were building during the 70's and 80's. I have yet to hear the mode four, but i havent heard a thing about it either.
Yes they did.? They made the 5150 II for fucks sake.? You're talking absolute rubbish.? ThHe current JCM 800 is the same as the 80's old JCM 800.? All the reissue Marshall stuff is as good if not better than the original stuff, so no Marshall doesn't suck, it's just overpriced.

And 80's amp's aren't vintage either.? When people talk about vintage marshall amps they're talking about the point to point wired Plexi's and the non-master amps from when Jim Marshall first started out.

But back to the point, in the 5150 II Peavey made the most versatile tube amp in the world, whose dirty channel was based on Eddie's modified Marshall.? Marshall then copied the idea a few years later with the DSL and TSL.

Peavey's also had the Classic 30s and 50s, the XXX and the JSX head which is more versatile than any other tube amp available.

So shutup.

Ok dipshit, Contrary to what you added, I have never played a Pevey that sounded like a Marshall, but I (unlike you) know what an opinion is. And maybe you should look the word "Vintage" up in a dictionary.

Maybe you are just a Peavy player....
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 09:12:31 PM »

I think the DSL and TSL series are solid modern Marshall's. There a lot of good tones in those amps. In the US they are bit expensive for what you get IMO. With the exception of the new Marshall handwired series and JCM800 reissue most Marshall reissues are not like the originals. They are good, but they are not exact clones. No vintage Marshall used PCB construction.

Even Slash didn't use modern Marshall's to record Appetite For Destruction. It was a early 70's Marshall 1959T modified by Tim Caswell into a 70's Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. IMO Slash's best tones were on AFD.

Shocked Greenbacks on AFD? I didn't know that....? I thought he always stuck with v 30's (dunno when they were reissued 50th?).

GB's are my favorite? drool? -bp

He's always used V30's live for sure. But AFD was done with the GB's. I've read a couple of interviews where Slash talked about how he tried to steal the 1959T from SIR studios when the AFD session were over. Funny story!
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 10:15:46 PM »

Why des mike clink always talk about going Slash not having a tone during those recordings?
BP
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 11:13:30 PM »

Shocked Greenbacks on AFD? I didn't know that....  I thought he always stuck with v 30's (dunno when they were reissued 50th?).

GB's are my favorite  drool  -bp

He's always used V30's live for sure. But AFD was done with the GB's. I've read a couple of interviews where Slash talked about how he tried to steal the 1959T from SIR studios when the AFD session were over. Funny story!

during the VR show in PA I ran into Slash & then Day....  talking about speaker cab setups.  that was a main question I had for Slash....  he told me he is using V 30's in them cabs.  anyways....  makes sense to record with gb's I guess as they are quiet & can be pushed easier.  I've had an all V 30 cab 4x4 & same with greenies both Marshall...  both great but opted for the greenies as something about it gave me wood. Cheesy
-bp

darkmonth
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 08:57:07 AM »

isnt the mode4 basically a more powerful 2000? i'm sure there is more to it

I was thinking about getting a vintage head - hiwatt marshall even a twin reverb.? but then it would cost an arm & leg to maintain & wont be dependalbe unless you dump some $$$$ into it.

bp

No.? The Mode4 is a 4 channel amp with NO power tubes.? It is NOT a tube amp.? It's made for high gain metalling... veeery much suited to the nu metal scene and you will find a few using it.? ?Don't expect Slash types to want or start using it.

And my TSL JCM2000 is fucking solid.? Reliable.? No problems.? And I beat the shit out of it dragging it to gigs and practice contstantly through the week.

There are a lot of solid states that are incredible. take my secret clean channel weapon, a Sunn0))) concert lead 100w for all my clean sounds. This thing has been thrown, beaten, probably shot and it will outlast me. Solid states are just that dependable, but then again, they dont have tubes....

I hope you're not thinking I said that solid amps are shit.  Solid amps are fine for certain sounds.  My tube amp is my baby, and I love it, but I know that other people love other amps.  It's all in the ears of the beholder!
BP
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 11:10:12 AM »

Dave, I think you made an error in your sig.

A JB in the Neck? 59'  in the bridge?  Grin

I'm still not settled...  I love the JB in the bridge & almost use it exclusively haha. I'm going to rip out the Aph 2 in the neck though & put back the stock I think.  hihi

-bp

darkmonth
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2005, 12:03:25 PM »

Dave, I think you made an error in your sig.

A JB in the Neck? 59'? in the bridge?? Grin

I'm still not settled...? I love the JB in the bridge & almost use it exclusively haha. I'm going to rip out the Aph 2 in the neck though & put back the stock I think.? hihi

-bp
Oops!
Cheers for that.  You're 100% right!!!

Cheesy

Corrected!
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2005, 12:37:56 PM »

Why des mike clink always talk about going Slash not having a tone during those recordings?

where does he say that?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2005, 06:30:19 PM »

ouch!  I'll back up everything u just said ....  except they were making 5150's not the II   hihi  Alice in Chains live? a lot of shows were with 5150's & cabs. Solid amp.  OH & .. I dunno about TSL copying that but they for sure kept that amp in mind for a challenge& competition. & of course the XXX.  The peavey series right now is crushing marshall's JCM2000 series. The JSX, IMO crushes the TSL for a 3 stage amp stock hands down in build quality, $$$ for the buck, & most importantly uhhh  keeps up with it  Wink.

bp
Well, the 5150 came first, but then they added the third channel and modified it a bit.  The 5150 II was the first all tube three channel head wasn't it, which was why I was saying the TSL copied it.

Ok dipshit, Contrary to what you added, I have never played a Peavey that sounded like a Marshall, but I (unlike you) know what an opinion is. And maybe you should look the word "Vintage" up in a dictionary.

Maybe you are just a Peavey player....
Well, I never said you had played a Peavey that sounded like a Marshall, nor did I say that Peavey's did sound like Marshalls. So no, it's not contrary to what I added.  What I said was Peavey did put out amps as good, if not better than 80's Marshall's, which I stand by 100%.

And why would I want to look up the word "vintage"? Do you think my view on amplifiers and their quality be swayed much by the what I would probably find, that the word is derived from Wine and their ages?  No, I don't think so.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2005, 07:41:38 PM »

You said that 80's amps aren't vintage. Or at least I'm pretty positive. I'm fairly certain that anything under something made in the past few years is going to be condsidered vintage. I can call Abell Audio who Joe Walsh sends his gear to when it needs repair or mods, and I can ask them if they think an '86 JCM800 could be considered vintage.

"And 80's amp's aren't vintage either.  When people talk about vintage marshall amps they're talking about the point to point wired Plexi's and the non-master amps from when Jim Marshall first started out."

"Well, I never said you had played a Peavey that sounded like a Marshall, nor did I say that Peavey's did sound like Marshalls. So no, it's not contrary to what I added.  What I said was Peavey did put out amps as good, if not better than 80's Marshall's, which I stand by 100%."

You can stand by that, it's your right to voice your opnion. I've tried every amp out there, and personally, I think nothing beats a Marshall. Or at least beast the sound I am going for...
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2005, 07:52:08 PM »

where does he say that?

Taken from guitar Legends.

from a guitar one interview with mike clink.

"G1: What would you shoot for on the basic tracks?

Clink: I come from the school of live perfomance. so I was going for as much as possible: drums, bass and Izzy's guitar. I didn't go for Slash's guitar becuase he just didn't have a tone at that time."
BP
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2005, 08:27:12 PM »

yes This thread is now out of controll...  call 911

no
no
uh
Not Vintage
no
maybe
no

ok.. I'm done  Grin

darkmonth
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2005, 03:24:08 AM »

where does he say that?

Taken from guitar Legends.

from a guitar one interview with mike clink.

"G1: What would you shoot for on the basic tracks?

Clink: I come from the school of live perfomance. so I was going for as much as possible: drums, bass and Izzy's guitar. I didn't go for Slash's guitar becuase he just didn't have a tone at that time."

That's because Mike Clink is a cock.  Most rock guitarists 'DREAM' of that tone.
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2005, 03:38:09 AM »

Eh, they worked with him for a long time... But whatever. Izzy had an incredible tone too. He was using Carvins?
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 03:41:06 AM »

I also think that once slash got those Jubilees, his tone shot to the moon and back again. Granted I love the appetite sound.
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 08:22:18 PM »

Sorry, 80's Marshall's aren't 'vintage' for a Marshall. That term usually applies to a certain time period. Like 'vintage Les Paul' only refers to Les Pauls made between 1952 and 1960.

Personally I think Slash's  best tones were on AFD. I'm pretty sure he has almost never recorded any albums using the Jubilees or Signature model. UYI was mostly JCM800's.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: