Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227915 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Samples, Effects, Need Advice to recreate samples on "Better"!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Samples, Effects, Need Advice to recreate samples on "Better"!!!!  (Read 3153 times)
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« on: June 14, 2006, 09:51:19 PM »

Alright, well I have a keyboard player who plays in my band, and we are covering "Better". With audio programs, I extracted the drum loops and the sample in the middle of the song after the industrial part. How would I use these live? Anyone know how Pittman or Dizzy do this live???
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:27:02 PM »

I think the brain does the drum loops, he just has a sampling station that he presses 'play' on I believe.

Whereas dizzy/chris will have some sort of sampler with the sample loaded in and they'll just hold down a key.. I'm guessing.
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »

How do I make the robot sex noise on my guitar???   Huh

Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »

The robot sex is not made on guitar. However, you can re-create it easily if you have a Gibson Les Paul or something of that sort of guitar. All you do is mute your strings with your left hand by holding your hand on the strings almost RIGHT at the bridge. With what little space is left between the bridge and your hand, pick back and forth insanely and work your way from top to the bottom.
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »

I was trying to get that sound out of my Boss phaser, flanger, and tremolo.  I was gonna try a Digitech Whammy pedal next.  I've heard a similar aqua-type effect on the Korg AX1B though...

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »

the beats from the 3:16 of the song are played live by pittman with his modular analog synth... the big panel with knobs and wires 
but unless you wanna buy it for like $8000 you can sample it with a pc or a small sampler

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 12:08:37 AM »

the beats from the 3:16 of the song are played live by pittman with his modular analog synth... the big panel with knobs and wires 
but unless you wanna buy it for like $8000 you can sample it with a pc or a small sampler

Tell me more about these modular analog synths...

PM me about it please!!! ok ok
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:14:39 AM »

I was trying to get that sound out of my Boss phaser, flanger, and tremolo.  I was gonna try a Digitech Whammy pedal next.  I've heard a similar aqua-type effect on the Korg AX1B though...

Honestly, how in the hell would pedals make that effect?
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »

I was trying to get that sound out of my Boss phaser, flanger, and tremolo.? I was gonna try a Digitech Whammy pedal next.? I've heard a similar aqua-type effect on the Korg AX1B though...

Honestly, how in the hell would pedals make that effect?

I was wondering the same thing, but I thought it was some crazy Buckethead trick.  Anyway, I have that sound (or damn close) on my Lexicon MPX100.

Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 02:39:59 PM »

Eh, I prefer DigiTech pedals. My dad works on electronics and modifies stuff like pedals constantly, so when I got a hold of the GNX 4, he modified it so I can activate samples and loops by foot.

Now I just need to install a compact flash card slot into the thing, which will cost more than pedal itself.  Undecided
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 06:25:25 PM »

the beats from the 3:16 of the song are played live by pittman with his modular analog synth... the big panel with knobs and wires?

Tell me more about these modular analog synths...

PM me about it please!!! ok ok
ok here you have some info
Most modular synthesizers are modeled in many respects after the classic systems of Robert Moog. Each module in these systems fits into a rack. The modules are connected inside the rack to a common power supply. Other than that, the modules function relatively independently. This means that patch chords must be used to connect the various modules together to make a "patch".

For example, a very basic patch would be to connect the control voltage (CV) output of the keyboard controller to the CV input of a Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO). The VCO is used to generate cyclical signals and is generally used to create pitched sounds. The CV output of the keyboard is a signal that changes depending on which key on the keyboard is depressed. The audio output of the VCO can be patched into a Voltage Controlled Amplifier (VCA). The VCA controls how loud a signal is. From there the audio output of the VCA can be patched into an amplifier so it can be heard.

That's an extremely basic patch. Most patches would also include trigger or gate signals from the keyboard. These are used to "trigger" things like envelope generators (EG's). Envelope generators are used to shape a signal over time. The most commonly used envelope generators are Attack - Decay - Sustain - Release ones that have four controls that change the levels/time of four stages. EG's are commonly used to change the volume of a signal over time. They are also used to control the brightness of filters over time.

Voltage Controlled Filters (VCF's) control the frequencies that can be passed through them. The most common VCF's filter out frequencies above a level set either with a control knob or a control voltage. This lets the synthesist control the brightness of a signal.

Moog and Buchla were two of the most influential early modular synth designers.

here you can watch
someone playing one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsacjRLaK9Q
that is a NIN's video (the hand that feeds) where they use one in the start of the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtZEVI_jzno
the most famous video with and analog modeular synth is idioteque by radiohead here you have
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gLLdWQi9PQ

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
imsorry
Rocker

d|0_o|b

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 06:36:32 PM »

R.I.P. Robert Moog  peace

20-23/01/1991
10-12/12/1992
15/01/2001