Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 03:05:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227858 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Tips for playing bass
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for playing bass  (Read 8410 times)
EM
Banned
Rocker

I am Fred Sanford.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2004, 02:57:27 AM »

Lol yeah it was!

-EM

The real Guns N' Roses- Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven.
mike13_11_86
Opening Act

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2004, 05:05:27 PM »

I got a gud tip..it mite sound silly..but it helped me. if ur tryin 2 learn a specific song an uv got the tab aswel, watch the artist/bassist playin it and see how he positiond his/her hands 2 play the song..it makes the song easier to play as most bass riffs are repetitive finger patterns..sorry if this makes no sense!
twitcher
Headliner

path / stream junction

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2004, 04:53:20 AM »

I started playing bass about 3 months ago and played my first gig about 2 months ago (playing covers including Sweet Child beer).  

To help learn I downloaded Guitar Pro (www.guitar-pro.com 30 day free trial - even then it lets you use it after, but it just keeps popping up some messages saying "buy me, you cheapo"). It's really really helpful. Simply download a guitar-pro tab of the song you want and it shows you the tabs and a fretboard so it visually shows you where you should be playing and which notes are coming up. But the best bit is you can specify a particular piece to repeat and you can change the speed (e.g. starting slow, repeating and it can gradually increase the tempo - this was a real accelarator for me).

Also, the bass i bought was a Ibanez GSR200, really good value. check out some reviews for it. (about $200 including strap, (crappy) gig bag, digital tuner & video)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 04:55:13 AM by twitcher » Logged
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2004, 01:38:33 PM »

I started playing bass about 3 months ago and played my first gig about 2 months ago (playing covers including Sweet Child beer).  

To help learn I downloaded Guitar Pro (www.guitar-pro.com 30 day free trial - even then it lets you use it after, but it just keeps popping up some messages saying "buy me, you cheapo"). It's really really helpful. Simply download a guitar-pro tab of the song you want and it shows you the tabs and a fretboard so it visually shows you where you should be playing and which notes are coming up. But the best bit is you can specify a particular piece to repeat and you can change the speed (e.g. starting slow, repeating and it can gradually increase the tempo - this was a real accelarator for me).

Also, the bass i bought was a Ibanez GSR200, really good value. check out some reviews for it. (about $200 including strap, (crappy) gig bag, digital tuner & video)

let me give you a tip! if you dont use your calendar on you PC, just rewind the date... that way you wont have to bother about registering :p  that goes for all software that has a time limit! hehe.... im mean!  hihi

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
twitcher
Headliner

path / stream junction

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2004, 12:04:32 AM »

let me give you a tip! if you dont use your calendar on you PC, just rewind the date... that way you wont have to bother about registering :p  that goes for all software that has a time limit! hehe.... im mean!  hihi

thanks, but i actually bought the softwaree anyway as i like it  ok
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2004, 11:55:19 AM »

whats the difference between the demo and the whole shit? i know you can save and make your own.. but thats it?

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
twitcher
Headliner

path / stream junction

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2004, 11:03:54 PM »

whats the difference between the demo and the whole shit? i know you can save and make your own.. but thats it?

Yeah saving and printing I think that's about it.

I do make a lot of corrections or alterations to the tabs though so saving is good and printing is good for when we have a session, as I can print out tabs for band mates or myself if i still need them.

and those annoying pop-ups go away and you are supporting the authors of the software ok

here's a link for all the GnR songs in Gruitar-Pro format http://www.gnrsucks.com/download.php?view.17

I haven't tried this link so don't ask me any questions  Smiley just thought some of you may find it useful.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 01:32:24 AM by twitcher » Logged
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2004, 05:41:26 PM »

Why was the Sweet Child intro a joke?  Huh

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
slashman91
Opening Act

slash one of the many guitar gods

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2004, 09:34:52 AM »

i use to play bass and i was prety good pluck stasrt off with ac/dc it all about counting my first song was dirty deeds done dirt chep very easy then gnr and sometimes ledzeppelin byt stick with gnr

same shit different day
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 05:02:55 PM »

I bought a Gallien-Kreuger stack out of Musician's Friend in January of 2005 and I've blown the speakers out twice.  The first time I had it repaired; the tech said the soddering used on the wires going to the cone was substandard.  G-K was aware of this problem, so it's covered under warrenty.  I used it in one practice and one gig and I blew them.  The next time I played two gigs and two practices and blew them, so watch out.

*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2005, 05:14:38 PM »

Anyone using the Guitar Pro demo should buy the real deal, it's worth it, you get to print songs and there are no bar restrictions when you are composin'? ok
I love the SCOM bass intro

If you plan on playing slap bass you're hands will bleed, no really they will

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: