Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227925 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Is this a good guitar?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this a good guitar?  (Read 5222 times)
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« on: August 15, 2004, 04:11:49 PM »

Hi, I'm deciding to start playing the guitar and I'm wondering if this guitar would be a good start.  Can someone help me out?  Give me feedback if this is a good guitar to start off with or not. 
http://www.linusz.de/Musik/Les%20Paul%20Special%20II/Les%20Paul%20Special%20II.html

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 05:25:56 PM »

you never played anything that looks like a guitar in your life? then i wouldn't start with that one sorry, it's a nice one though... but really if you're starting out that's not "it" IMO  no
sowwy  peace

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 06:59:33 PM »

No it's crap.

Buy an Agile.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 07:10:35 PM »

let's say that those pictures makes that guitar look more than what it is  hihi

that's crap... maybe you should buy an used acoustic guitar (cheaper) to see if you like to play guitar, or you're gonna spend money in an elecric guitar & amp for not using it....

learn some with a cheap acoustic guitar before getting electric gear that's my opinion  peace

Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 06:10:08 AM »

the thing is I can get this guitar with an amp, a bag, picks and some video for $200.? I've played with acoustics before but my brother's guitar teacher told him to tell me to start off with an electric.? anymore suggestions?? Here's the full description...
"This cool Player Pack features the popular Special II guitar and Epiphone Studio 10 amplifier, with all the accessories you need to get started playing guitar. This is a powerful sounding guitar with the feel you only get from a Les Paul. The excellent Special II is built with an Alder/Mahogany body, 2 open-coil humbucking pickups, a Mahogany neck with a Rosewood fretboard, and chrome hardware. The Studio 10 amp has a 3-band EQ and gain controls, and a handy built-in prop stand. Accessories include a gig bag, strap, cord, picks, and Warner Bros. Instructional materials."

Oh and Thanks to all that are helping me out!!!   ok
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 06:12:24 AM by A.N.G.E.L. » Logged

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 02:43:18 PM »

What I've learned, is that by starting on an accoustic, you tend to get better finger strength, I mean since it's usually way harder to play. You can usually pick up the electric easily, but you're better off starting on an accoustic. You're also more likely to learn full chords and build up a diverse chord vocabulary. On electrics people tend to stick to power chords.

Maybe you'd start off easier on an electric ... but IMO you'd start off right on an accoustic.

If your bro has an electric, ask him to let you play on that ... and you go buy an accoustic.

If your bro doesn't have one, tell HIM to buy the electric and repeat as mentioned above ...

No.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 05:50:04 PM »

the thing is I can get this guitar with an amp, a bag, picks and some video for $200.? I've played with acoustics before but my brother's guitar teacher told him to tell me to start off with an electric.? anymore suggestions?? Here's the full description...
"This cool Player Pack features the popular Special II guitar and Epiphone Studio 10 amplifier, with all the accessories you need to get started playing guitar. This is a powerful sounding guitar with the feel you only get from a Les Paul. The excellent Special II is built with an Alder/Mahogany body, 2 open-coil humbucking pickups, a Mahogany neck with a Rosewood fretboard, and chrome hardware. The Studio 10 amp has a 3-band EQ and gain controls, and a handy built-in prop stand. Accessories include a gig bag, strap, cord, picks, and Warner Bros. Instructional materials."

Oh and Thanks to all that are helping me out!!!? ?ok
Ok, so you get a crappy amp and some other crappy stuff too.  It doesn't change the fact that the guitar sucks.  The necks on those things are just flimsy.  They bend basically when you move around, and so don't stay in tune.

If you haven't ever played before, and don't have an amp, you maybe shouldn't buy an electric.  Like Aero and WMD said, get a second hand acoustic.  If you actually want to learn to play the guitar, this will help you so much more.

Basically ditto to everything WMD said.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 08:24:44 PM »

Alright, thanks to all that helped.? Please feel free to give more suggestions.? Thanks again to all!!!? ?beer peace
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 11:21:00 PM by A.N.G.E.L. » Logged

ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 02:54:11 AM »

dude and before you invest money in a guitar and amp make sure its something your willing to dedicate alot of time into cause thats the only way your gonna get good, if you only want a guitar to strum around everyonce in a while get your self an acustic and save yourself the money for the amp, if your really, I repeat, REALLY serious get a guitar your comfortable with and like even if it cost you a few extra bucks, save that extra week or two weeks you might need to to get the cash. dont go for those packaged deals cause you'll get a guitar and amp which arnt to good and that you will out grow if your serious, Im learning right now and to start off I got a very inexpensive guitar and a good small fender practice amp cause I wasnt sure how committed I actually was going to be in a few months when the initial wonder faded.  But its been good for me at the moment as I learn as I get better Ill upgrade my amp to a marshall and my guitar to a Gibson LP Wink as I already have the cigaretes and the bottle of JAck DAniels next to me.

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 06:26:46 PM »

Starting on acoustic is a good idea

EEEERRRR Little boy
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 06:40:54 PM »

Starting on acoustic is a good idea
yeah that's what I say !

for $200 you can get an electro-acoustic fender guitar, with steel strings...

you will get a damn nice first guitar... buy an electric after 6 months or more... when your fingers are strong and agiles and you will have some time to save money for a better guitar than epiphone special

Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 07:52:20 PM »

If you want the les paul shape dont go for that. If your thinking cheap the Epiphone Les Paul STUDIO is the way to go definitly. But a classic, standard or custom is gonna be even better. but for begginner go for the studio
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 09:11:43 PM »

But its been good for me at the moment as I learn as I get better Ill upgrade my amp to a marshall and my guitar to a Gibson LP Wink as I already have the cigaretes and the bottle of JAck DAniels next to me.
Congratulations on paying money to kill yourself because you think it's cool.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 09:39:40 AM »

Thanks MiZ, but I don't think that was really necessary.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 07:11:38 PM »

Thanks MiZ, but I don't think that was really necessary.
Niether is smoking  Tongue

Kendrijk
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 10:23:14 PM »

Dont go for the Fender. And you don't have to settle for secondhand. As you will find out, guitars get better with age, but don't get a piece of crap. You should get a package with and Electric, a good cord, and a practice amp. Make sure the amp isn't one of those that you hook to your pants er something, but rather something you can kinda stand up and really get the sound from. I wish all of you the best of luck with your new hobby.
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 03:30:33 AM »

But its been good for me at the moment as I learn as I get better Ill upgrade my amp to a marshall and my guitar to a Gibson LP Wink as I already have the cigaretes and the bottle of JAck DAniels next to me.
Congratulations on paying money to kill yourself because you think it's cool.

dude i do my own thing you do yours dude if i want to kill myself by smoking thats my own problem, i do it cause i like it, just like i smoke cubans cause i like it, im gonna live my life how i want to and if that means that i want to smoke and drink then ill do it,  you dont need to slam me on the board cause you have no idea who i am or what i do dude, so leave me the fuck alone

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: