Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 01:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Scott Weiland - solo thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland - solo thread  (Read 131594 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2008, 11:59:45 PM »

Super-rocker Scott Weiland finds freedom in his music

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

BURBANK, Calif. ? Scott Weiland, famed frontman for two rock supergroups, has discovered solo work's prize and penalty: liberation and loneliness.

"I've been recording in between periods of romantic torture, which is the concept of this album," says the singer, whose divorce from his second wife, Mary Forsberg, informs several anguished lyrics on second solo album Happy in Galoshes. "Writing these songs has been my saving grace. I have felt in the past like a marionette. This album is my freedom."

Weiland, 41, is smoking and impeccably attired as usual when he takes a seat in the control booth of his Lavish Studios, a former machine shop transformed into a dim sanctuary with candles, recording gear and red lanterns hanging from a velvet-draped ceiling.

He sounds by turns defiant and wounded as he recounts the events leading to this pivotal juncture. His career is rebooting, but his personal life, littered with arrests, substance abuse and rehabs, has sapped him. Last year, his mother was diagnosed with cancer, and his brother suffered a fatal drug overdose. His grandfather is dying of emphysema. He's especially distraught over his split from Forsberg.

"When you're in love, you've found your soul mate, you think life is going one way, and suddenly it's completely apparent it's not. You have to rethink your whole purpose," he says, adding haltingly, "She's the love of my life, and I'll always love her."

He sits a little straighter and says: "This record has helped a lot. I was focused. I'm doing what I want to do creatively, and that's kept me going."

Weiland co-produced the new 13-track Happy for his Softdrive label with songwriting partner Doug Grean. Paul Oakenfold and members of No Doubt crop up, and Weiland covers The Smiths' Reel Around the Fountain (on the two-CD deluxe edition) and David Bowie's Fame.

Happy took shape during a tumultuous decade after the release of solo debut 12 Bar Blues in 1998. In 2003, he left Stone Temple Pilots, the grunge-era giant that sold 35 million albums globally and spawned six No. 1 singles, including Grammy-winning Plush. In 2004, former Guns N' Roses players enlisted Weiland to sing in Velvet Revolver, another hard-rock juggernaut that fired him April 1 after acrimonious exchanges.

"There were too many egos, and I'm not leaving myself out of the mix," Weiland says. "It was a recipe for incredible success and disaster."

The highly touted STP reunion tour followed, leaving fans clamoring for a new album. Weiland is on the fence.

"When you commit to a band that big that sold so many records and touched that many people, you can't easily get out of it," he says. "I'm finally on my own, at a place I've wanted to be for so long."

Not surprisingly, Happy is as motley and unconventional as his lifestyle.

"It's definitely eclectic," Grean says. "He's really breaking the mold people put him in as this heavy rock/grunge superstar. There's country and jazzy and bossa nova stuff that redefines him. It was a fun, challenging, unpredictable experiment. The hardest part was carving out time. He kept doing things like getting into a superband."

They formed a "trauma bond" 14 years ago when Grean's brother, who is in rehab, "got a crazy new roommate in the middle of the night," Grean says. "He had a mountain of baggage, I mean actual luggage. I wasn't a huge STP fan, but we became friends."

Weiland's figurative baggage is substantial, too. He served a day in jail May 12 for a DUI arrest a year ago. He still drinks but points out he kicked heroin six years ago. In March, he completed a stint in rehab.

"When my wife was divorcing me, I relapsed on cocaine for three months, and I put myself in rehab without telling the band because I knew there would be manipulation for me to complete the tour," he says.

It's not the only reason he's gun-shy about band duty.

"There's a beauty in being part of a band, when there's equality and trust," he says. "But at this phase of my life, I want to write and not have to think about whether a song is going to be a hit. I want to explore the music that inspires me, and I don't want to ape myself.

"I've been saying for a long time that I couldn't see myself shaking my (butt) in leather pants when I'm 40. My goal in STP was to leave an imprint. That was done. I want to move forward and be in control of what I do musically. I have kids, and I don't want to spend my life on the road."

Noah, 8, and Lucy, 6, have altered his priorities and calmed a chaotic lifestyle. He's considering a move from Los Angeles.

"On the veneer, it's a lovely place, but the underbelly is dark and insidious. Everyone wants what everyone else has."

Having experienced its dark side, Weiland no longer craves the veneer of rock stardom.

"I'm a disciple of David Bowie, and I see myself at that crossroad of Young Americans and the Berlin records," Weiland says, citing the Brit icon's transition from 1975's rock/soul hit to his late-'70s experimental trilogy.

"I want to surround myself with people who understand the music that inspires me. I don't want to get battered from throwing myself around on stage. I want a performance style that's more cerebral and emotional than physical. I want to be a creative artist, not a whirling dervish."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-12-04-scott-weiland_N.htm

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2008, 02:42:28 AM »

Scott Weiland's new solo offering, Happy in Galoshes, opens at #96, with 10,500 copies sold

MTV

Serves him right for the comments he made about Chinese Democracy.   Whats that about .5% of CD's first week sales?  Grin
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2008, 03:44:48 AM »

Scott Weiland's new solo offering, Happy in Galoshes, opens at #96, with 10,500 copies sold

MTV

Serves him right for the comments he made about Chinese Democracy.   Whats that about .5% of CD's first week sales?  Grin

agreed he was a jackass for those comments..but he did doubt it would sell a million copies...I hope he isnt right.... Sad
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »

MTV

agreed he was a jackass for those comments..but he did doubt it would sell a million copies...I hope he isnt right.... Sad

It will over time..

Scott's album will be lucky to ever reach what GnR did in one day Smiley
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »

He still might be right though about CD Shocked

In Scott's defense. this is a solo album on his own record label. He has no promotional budget, no big time label pushing his stuff to radio etc etc, no TV ads and all that.

So he will make a nice amount of cash just off 10k.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »

Nah, it will go platinum within a year.   Especially when you take worldwide sales into consideration.   
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »

isn't his first week better the Bach's ?

pretty good , for basically and indie album.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2008, 01:29:41 AM »

Didn't Scott wish Axl good luck with CD? Or was that tongue in cheek?

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2008, 01:30:05 AM »

isn't his first week better the Bach's ?

pretty good , for basically and indie album.

I don't think so.    Bach sold 2 or 3 times that amount.   

Speaking of which, I think its time to give Angel Down another spin.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2008, 01:47:41 AM »

Just looked it up and angel down sold 6,400 copies in its first week. so Scott sold almost twice as many in the first week.

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2008, 06:09:41 PM »

He outsold bach?, really is anyone impressed by that?
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2008, 06:58:09 PM »

not really I was just curios cause of the VR / guns / bach connection.
Haven't heard Scott's new joint yet. probable pick it up on monday

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »

Nah, it will go platinum within a year.   Especially when you take worldwide sales into consideration.   

Scott said it won't go platinum in the US.  so worldwide doesnt count.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2008, 02:52:20 PM »

December 8th 2008

From rock star to rehab and back again

Rocker Scott Weiland has fallen off the wagon. Despite an 18-month court ordered alcohol rehab program (stemming from a 2007 DUI), Weiland was ?hitting the hard stuff backstage and was noticeably messed up? during a solo gig at the Fillmore-Irving Plaza on Friday night.

?He was over an hour late to take the stage, and audience members were commenting on how drunk and sloppy he seemed,? says our spy.
?It didn?t help that the crowd was booing him and shouting at him to play his Stone Temple Pilots songs.? Weiland?s rep denied the claim that he was drunk.
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/12/08/2008-12-08_perez_hilton_throws_book_at_pop_tarts-3.html

Here he comments about being late...and just has to bring Axl into it.  Tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWi-1-9zxC4

Some of the performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQiBR3hnUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0996Oac__M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrAHaXVvbzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB908FjWFZQ

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »

I just love how he got booed and someone went hardy-har-har.

And I loved how someone yelled GUNS N' ROSES!

Fuck anyone who supports this loser fraud over Axl.  (True STP fans, notwithstanding.)
GeraldFord
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:50 PM »

I just love how he got booed and someone went hardy-har-har.

And I loved how someone yelled GUNS N' ROSES!

Fuck anyone who supports this loser fraud over Axl.  (True STP fans, notwithstanding.)

The "hardy-har-har" was kinda funny...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:46 AM »

I was at the show in NYC the other night...he was great...I used to be one of Scott's biggest critics, but his new album is a great record, very different...and he put on a great show in NYC the other night...i still have to check the Youtube videos that were posted here.....He did mention Axl actually being an alright guy after his comments about him...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:36:47 AM by Shadows7XXX » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2008, 02:08:23 AM »

A video interview with Scott prior to the Foxboro show can be seen here:

http://www.wbcn.com/pages/3461348

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2008, 02:09:24 AM »

Missing Cleveland Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XOxhYg4xUg

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2008, 02:01:06 PM »

I thought that STP was playing New Years Eve in L.A.?

Fox To Air "New Year's Eve Live" From Las Vegas

December 11, 2008 1:17 p.m. EST

Las Vegas, NV (CNS) - Fans interested in celebrating the New Year from the bright lights of Las Vegas can tune in to Fox for the network's "New Year's Eve Live" special. The show will feature "American Idol" season seven winner David Cook and Grammy Award-winning musician Scott Weiland.

Celebrity News Service has learned that the show will be co-hosted by Spike Feresten of "Talkshow With Spike Feresten" and Mark Thompson of "Hole in the Wall." They will report live from the bright lights of the Las Vegas Strip.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7013373991

Press release: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20081211fox01

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:45:16 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: