Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:17:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Your 2002 Tour Story
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your 2002 Tour Story  (Read 13370 times)
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« on: September 15, 2005, 02:44:09 PM »

I went to the Hartford, CT show on (i think) tuesday, and then the MSG show on thursday.

CT Show: Showed up at 10:35 or so, thinking Axl would be late. State troopers stopped all traffic on I-95, so we were all freaking out. Finally got there, black parking attendant says the show is about to end. WTF??? We all run to the place, see some guys who say his friend is inside and the show hasn't even started yet. Get to security and thats when i hear it...

" DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE?Huh"   

So i try to get around security which only makes it all take longer. Finally........able to walk in. we had floor seats, but we were all the way up top when we came in, so here i am walking down the stairs, watching Axl Rose for the first time in my life ever. There he is, there is the legend. There is Buckethead, there is Robin. Im tyring not to trip down the stairs, i leave my girlfriend and friends and start running to our seats.

MSG Show: Major snow-storm. Fights about how we're all getting there. Im driving, friends taking train. Fuck that, i wanna be in control, so im driving. make it down into nyc in about 15 mins, tons of snow, me n the girlfriend park near the Garden to 420 alittle bit. then, the problem.....our friends are in a bar about 3 blocks away, claiming axl will be late. i HAVE to go. I go. We go. Get there, few beers, really anxious about the gnr show. I dont wanna miss Jungle again...Finally, fuck everybody, we're leaving....fuck the beer. magical walk back to the Garden, nyc is home, and its beautiful in the winter. Get to the garden, walk in during fucking ISE. Missed Jungle again.....my prick, irish, beer-drinking friends did it again to me!!! lolol Sit in the 8th row. Have the best night of my life. Watch the DVD months later and see myself singing along to Patience during the 2nd chorus.

What are your stories?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 03:15:05 PM »

got free tickets to the show at the ACC in toronto. sat in microsoft box seats. it was sweet

We waited forever for the doors to open, there was a guy dressed as BH handing stuff out outside, i thought it was him at first but he was really short so it wasn't. I got to see the whole show from CKY to GnR, I actually just ate food, drank beer and played X-Box till mix master mike was done. it seemed forever till the lights went out and the guitars to wttj started, when Axl scream "Do you know where the Fuck You AREEEE!!!!!!" it was sweet bliss. after being a GnR fan for 14 and never seeing them I was in heaven, the show was anything i could've ever hoped for.  Hearing the bootleg a couple years later I'm almost positive that the guy who recorded it was right next to my buddy, cuz i swear i can hear him and myself. I'd love to know where the person who recorded it sat, so i could see if i'm right or not.

highlights for me were Mr. Brownstone(sounded amazing live), November Rain (The lighting was sooo sweet), Sweet Child (My fav GnR tune, other than OIAM) and Madagascar.

W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 03:50:28 PM »

I remember being surprised at how dead the scene around The Mark (Moline, IL) was when my gf & I got there. So we dicked around at a restaurant til I was sure CKY would be over. Get to our seats just as MMM was begining & he seemed to go on FOREVER! Just some dork dj scratching Led Zepplin tunes, how original. The 1/2 capacity crowd seemed on the edge of leaving til finally he ran out of records! Then botaxl & his hired band come out & cover a bunch of GNR tunes. Whaxl wore a Quad City Mallard hockey jersey & threw a temper tantrum in the middle of YCBM about losing his ring in the crowd. Finck plays the worst solo I've ever heard a rock concert before launching into a so-so cover of SCOM. Buckethead obviously is disinterested in the events as he stands off to the far stage right & makes no contact with other band members, except Brain, for the entire show. Buckethead has an interesting solo that showcases his quite considerable talent on the electric guitar. dIck fOrtus spends the night showing way to much emotion for the little he is actually playing. All in all, definitely one of the lamer, if not lamest, arena shows I've been in my concert going career.

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 03:52:36 PM »

I'd rather not relive that sad memory of Philly!  Cry

Why don't you just....
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 03:57:11 PM »

i agree, fortus was OVERDOING things just a bit. im sure he was just happy to be there though, he seems like a cool, innocent dude. he totally was over doing the emotion. i gotta admit though, finck was cool. not the greatest player, but there are only a few legends out there. does that mean the chili peppers suck b/c they dont have a legend on guitar??

but everything else, i cannot agree with, my two shows (the last 2 gnr shows ever?Huh) were pretty awesome. u gotta take the dickhead Axl with the good Axl.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 04:07:26 PM »

I remember being surprised at how dead the scene around The Mark (Moline, IL) was when my gf & I got there. So we dicked around at a restaurant til I was sure CKY would be over. Get to our seats just as MMM was begining & he seemed to go on FOREVER! Just some dork dj scratching Led Zepplin tunes, how original. The 1/2 capacity crowd seemed on the edge of leaving til finally he ran out of records! Then botaxl & his hired band come out & cover a bunch of GNR tunes. Whaxl wore a Quad City Mallard hockey jersey & threw a temper tantrum in the middle of YCBM about losing his ring in the crowd. Finck plays the worst solo I've ever heard a rock concert before launching into a so-so cover of SCOM. Buckethead obviously is disinterested in the events as he stands off to the far stage right & makes no contact with other band members, except Brain, for the entire show. Buckethead has an interesting solo that showcases his quite considerable talent on the electric guitar. dIck fOrtus spends the night showing way to much emotion for the little he is actually playing. All in all, definitely one of the lamer, if not lamest, arena shows I've been in my concert going career.
Were you the guy with ur arms crossed the whole night?

Saw GNR at MSG and what a night it was.  Took off from school so I can get into the city a little earlier. It was a blizzard that day which added to the nervousness that day. The whole day I wondered if the show would get cancelled or Axl would not come on. But being it was a pretty big an important show I said to myself as long as the snow holds up Uncle Axl will show.

As soon as I got in the building and waited on line you could feel the energy and sorta like nervous excitement from everyone. Not knowing what to expect.  I heard a lot fo fans asking each other what the set was gonna be like so I kept chiming in and a lot of peopel thought I was with the band or something cause I told them a lot of info and basiclaly recited the set.

Anyways the show was unbelievable. The bootleg doesnt do it justice. Every dam word to every song except the new ones the crowd sand with such energy. I think everyone was pleasantly surprised when they heard the notes to jungle at such an early time. Then bam...

what a show it was

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 04:10:42 PM »

i agree, fortus was OVERDOING things just a bit.

I didn't even notice him, lol  rofl

W. Botaxl Rose, I agree bucket did look disinterested but i think that's his "style" hihi he's gotta be in character right? cuz he pretended to be all confused for his solo in T.O.

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 04:11:17 PM »

younggunner, it was an awesome show and an awesome night. im not sure if anything will ever top that night.
Oasis1
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 04:46:55 PM »

I was at the ACC show (Toronto) and it was amazing. This was my second Gn'R show (I saw them and Metallica in 91).
My brother scored us front row seats (right in front of Buckethead). I caught the GI Joe-type action figures (there were two in the box) he threw into the audience. Later, I caught the rubber chicken as well. Both times I was mobbed by the people right behind me trying to catch the stuff, but my brother pulled me out. I gave the girl beside me one of the action figures from the first package I caught because I felt sorry for her for almost landing on her when I jumped for the action figure.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 04:52:39 PM »

i does that mean the chili peppers suck b/c they dont have a legend on guitar??

ur joking right? cause in the world i inhabit, john frusciante is pretty well respected. I mean, he's certainly no rObin f  i n ck, but then, who is really?  peace

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 05:09:37 PM »

ok you hate the new band and axl`s look.  but why do you have to spread your fuckin`opinion here to annoy the people on this board. keep it to yourself man!

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 05:59:03 PM »

I took the 7 hour ride up to Massachussetts from Delaware...damn I hate going over the GW Bridge, 55 minutes to go 2 or 3 miles.   Angry

A buddy of mine lives in Boston, and our other friend lived in Rhode Island in '02.  We got liquored up Old School style.  The 3 of us had seen GNR in Buffalo in July of '92, and this was like re-living our youth.  Wine, whiskey, it was great.  It was cold out, but who the hell can feel cold when you're going to see Guns N Fuckin Roses!  We filled up on Burger King for dinner, and took a subway to the Fleet Center.  The excitement was palpable as the subway pulled up, and some other drunk folks were chanting Guns N Roses!   I was happy to make it through security with a tiny airline bottle of whiskey.  Just enough to say cheers and down with the intro. of Night Train, just like back in '92!   love   

The show was absolutely amazing!  I feel blessed, because I still think Boston's performances were among the best, if not the best of the tour.  (ok, I know I'm biased Wink)Axl's new version of Live and Let Die is better than any old version I've ever heard.  The Blues kicked ass!  Maddy sent chills down my spine, and felt like a religious experience...and I'm not religious!  I loved the intro. synth to YCBM, and of course the big f.u. in It's So Easy, and who can forget the nice commentary on Izzy's performances back in the days he was not fit to perform on stage, classic stuff. 

It was a surreal evening, and even marked the first snowfall of the year for me...beautiful snow falling as we exited the Center too late to catch the subway, so we got a taxi and headed on home. 

Looking back on that night, I now understand why the 2 older guys in back of us were so nervous about Axl even showing up for the show.  They were very nervous and kept saying, "He isn't gonna show."  Who'd a thunk less than a week later, just that would happen at the Philly show.  I'm so thankful me and my buddies met in Boston for the December 2nd show, and not the Philly show nearer to me later that week.   Smiley

Guns N' Roses...just plain awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Axl4Prez2004  beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 09:12:24 PM »

I saw the band in Pittsburgh on Nov 22, 2002.  Went with a buddy of mine.

We got there early, sat thru CKY, they only played 5 or 6 songs and they got booed off the stage, and one of the band members was pickin fights with people in the crowd.  Then MMM comes out and that was cool for about 5 min, but that went on for AT LEAST 90 minutes.  The crowd was not happy.  Then we waited and waited for GNR to come on.  Rumors were flying around that Axl hadn't arrived yet, and the place was getting restless.  The titty cam tied us all over tho, some girls on the floor in front of the stage started gettin naked and making out Smiley

Finally GNR hits the stage.. Shivers went down my spine when I haerd those opening notes for Jungle.  Robin Finck fucking nails those better than his predecessor ever could.   Then all the sudden "YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE!!"   I was blown the fuck away, there was Axl Rose, in a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey and a cigar in hand (i think he had a cigar).  The band ripped thru Jungle and I was so amazed..  I was in complete shock for the first few songs because I couldn' tbeleive I was seeing Axl Fucking Rose in person, singing my favorite songs Shocked 

They played live and let die, and once Axl started screaming , thats when i yelld out FUCK YEA THEY ARE BACK, GUNS N FUCKIN ROSES.  I was skeptical, to be honest, of seeing GNR with a whole new lineup, but that night this band proved to me that they are guns n fuckin roses.   Highlights of the show were the first few songs, then SCOM was amazing - Robin Finck rocks!!  The new songs were cool, but the crowd wasn't as into those obviously.  Madagascar was beautiful, so was November Rain.   

Buckethead's solo was cool, but I was more impressed with Robin and his work.  He did a few little intros to SCOM and PC.  They closed the show with Paradise city, which I think got the best reaction from the fans out of all the songs, besidse maybe SCOM.   

The craziest part of the whole night, was one minute, there was a crowd of people cursing Axl's name and ready to fuckin kill someone.. everyone was so pissed off.. then the next minute everyone was worshipping the man.

I really hope to see GNR again one more time.  Axl Rose has a charisma that is rare, in fact one I've never seen in another performer.  Its truly amazing.   Like when he got up on the Piano during the blues.. or when he'd scream.  I can't put into words how fucking cool it was.

EDIT: I'm putting together some 2002 reviews for my website, if you want to add your personal review, pm me with it.  would be much appreciated Smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:15:08 PM by Jim Bob » Logged
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

Ch. Democracy will be out when China's a Democracy

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 11:57:19 PM »

I bought tix for the show in Phoenix and a show in Los Angeles at The Forum. After Axl no showed Vancouver I wasn't so sure the tour would make it around.  After reading about empty arenas in many places my doubts were raised even higher.  After Axl no showed Philly causing the now famous riot, I tossed my Phoenix tix in the trash. I held out hope that he'd play LA since if there was anywhere in this country that he and his hired circus of goons could sell tickets, it would be in his hometown.  Boy was I wrong.  They sold less than half of the tix for The Forum and canceled that show along with the rest of the tour.  I did get a high quality copy of the pittsburgh show, though.  That was basically the highlight of the '02 tour for me.

"It'll be out by 2009"
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 07:23:36 AM »

i agree, fortus was OVERDOING things just a bit. im sure he was just happy to be there though, he seems like a cool, innocent dude. he totally was over doing the emotion. i gotta admit though, finck was cool. not the greatest player, but there are only a few legends out there. does that mean the chili peppers suck b/c they dont have a legend on guitar??

but everything else, i cannot agree with, my two shows (the last 2 gnr shows ever?Huh) were pretty awesome. u gotta take the dickhead Axl with the good Axl.

dude, before you know it, you'll be complaining that someone doesnt move enough Roll Eyes hihi

Fortus obviously just feels music, like myself, i cant stop moving, let the man groove in  peace

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
ckgent
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 08:11:24 AM »

2002 i saw the leeds show and 3 days later went to london.

I loved them both, i thought the band played the songs well,and axl was on fine form.

At the end of leeds i was trying to get a memento, but was having no luck. I went a spoke to the soundman and explained i would be at london would i be able to get a souviner of some description. He said his name and told me to go see him in london. When i got to the show, i went over had a chat and he said to see him at the end.

Killer show over and i went to find him. After a quick chat he handed me his set list for the show. i Was well chuffed. Its actually pretty strange.

Each song is numbered, starting with jungel with#8 beside it. it then runs 9,10, 11, 18, and then jumps about in no particular order.

It has oh my god listed twice, and if i remember correctly they didnt even play it once.

It also has Bucket Chunks cd listed( his bit where he dances and solos etc)

At the bottom it says

YOU GO NOW !!!!!

I think its a cool memento from the show and one im gonna keep.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2005, 09:42:08 AM »

Don't really have a tour story.. Saw them on their last show dec 5 2005 msg about 15 rows back... Kind of worried that day because it was snowing, kept listening to the radio to hear if the show was off...One of the best parts of the show was just being with gnr fans and seein gthe old shirts and hearing war stories and fans a little bit divided... Even for me it was strange to be there looking at the stage only knowing who axl n dizzy were.... Had a great time though and things were really looking up then...
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005, 12:19:43 PM »

Sunday December 1, 2002.  I had gone home to Cleveland for Thanksgiving, and now I was in the airport waiting to go back to Boston to college and the Monday GNR concert.  I went to the ticket counter.  My flight was to go Cleveland to Newark to Boston.  But there was a problem-- Due to high winds, no planes could leave Newark.  I had to wait until Monday afternoon/evening, and fly direct to Boston.

Fuck no.  No way in hell was I going to take the risk of missing the GNR concert.  I asked if I could possibly fly in to Worcester, Lowell, or Providence.  The first two did not take flights from Continental.  The last one had one flight, but no open seats.  They checked again a couple minutes later, and ONE seat opened up.  I was saved.

So I land in Providence at 9 pm, get my bags and grab a taxi to the train station, hoping to jump on the commuter rail into Boston.  That was how I learned the Commuter Rail doesn't run to Providence on Sundays.

So I had to jump on an Amtrack train, getting into Boston at 11:15.  I sprinted toward the Subway at South Station, and rode to Park Street.  I lugged my 50 pound suitcase up the stairs... To find out I was standing on the wrong goddamn platform.  So back down the stairs I went, lugging the suitcase back up the other stairs.  I got on the right train, finally, and got off at my stop.

So my friends and I were all just hanging out in the common room talking about random shit, including the GNR concert I'm going to when my roommate says  "Oh shit, Drewman, I forgot to tell you, guess where I'm going with Nick and James tomorrow!"  I had no idea, and he breaks out into the chorus of Paradise City.

So that's how I met the guitarist in my band, James.  At 6 pm Warren (my roommate) and I jumped on the green line, and the four of us met up at the McDonald's across from the Fleet Center.  We all saw the travesty of CKY and Mix Master Mike as opening acts.  And then, the lights went down.

The opening to WTTJ came up and so began the greatest concert I've ever been to (which really isn't saying much, since I've only been to three significant concerts-- GNR, Less Than Jake, and Dropkick Murphys).  In the middle of My Michelle (I think) some dipshit behind me, fell into my back, sending me flying down 7 rows.  I seriously thought I was going to keep falling to the edge of the balcony and die.  It knocked my hat and brand-new GNR bandana off, but I got them back quickly.  No apology or anything from the asshole who sent me flying.  Oh well.

12:50, my roommate returns to our room (I had gotten back about 10 minutes earlier).  He opens the door, we look at each other and at the exact same time just said "Holy shit, that was good."

Anyways, yeah, that was it.  Good show.  I had the whole soundboard on mp3's for a year, and lost it when my hard drive died.  Any help in replenishing my collection from this show would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 12:22:17 PM by Duffman23235 » Logged

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2005, 01:52:16 PM »

Were you the guy with ur arms crossed the whole night?

Saw GNR at MSG and what a night it was.? Took off from school so I can get into the city a little earlier. It was a blizzard that day which added to the nervousness that day. The whole day I wondered if the show would get cancelled or Axl would not come on. But being it was a pretty big an important show I said to myself as long as the snow holds up Uncle Axl will show.

As soon as I got in the building and waited on line you could feel the energy and sorta like nervous excitement from everyone. Not knowing what to expect.? I heard a lot fo fans asking each other what the set was gonna be like so I kept chiming in and a lot of peopel thought I was with the band or something cause I told them a lot of info and basiclaly recited the set.

Anyways the show was unbelievable. The bootleg doesnt do it justice. Every dam word to every song except the new ones the crowd sand with such energy. I think everyone was pleasantly surprised when they heard the notes to jungle at such an early time. Then bam...

what a show it was

yeah that's pretty much it dude.. I think they had to go on at 10 because it has to be over by midnight.. Once you got into manhattan the snow was no big deal.. Looks worse from other parts of the 5 boroughs
gnrfan1797
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »

Albany ny the day before thanksgiving, I drove 6 hours to see them since it was the closet event to me. Anywho i wasn't very excited about cky or that other dude mix master mike or whatevre huis name was i barlet paid attention. After those guy's played it was like 2 hours before gnr actually came on but the good thing inbetween the whole time this dude came over the speaker and said. " Allright ladies let's see them" for a whole 2 hours girls where flashing the cameras and they where showing it on the screen. Then the intro to jungle cameon and for some reason during the whole tour i don't think axl said do you know where the fuck you are he left the fuck out maybee im wrong but everydvd show ive seen of this tour he left the fuck out. But i went nuts the whole set and it turned out it was one of the best shows on the short tour that it was and it was the best time i ever had.

I also had one other thing to say it seemed pretty much the whole tour they followed the exact same set list. I coulda swore that axl was always against setlist's he just played what he felt like playing i thought that was kinda weird but other then that it was the best time i ever had.

WE also got some of the best axl rant's on the whole tour!  Smiley
rainX
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2005, 02:53:06 PM »

The date was November 27th, 2002. It had be well over 9 years since I last attended a Guns N' Roses concert. Back then, I had to beg my parents and sit in the back seat, completely sober. But this time, it was my car and a 5 hour drive to Albany. My girl and I took 2 of our friends along and set out. Got there around 6, got on line, people were drinking heavily on line, just would walk about five feet and piss on the wall. It already had the feeling of a GNR show. Got inside, started one person back, dead center in front of the rail on the floor. CKY played, had some fun joking about them with the people next to us. The mixmaster came on next, with those crazy blow up things, everyone was a little confused, it was cool and all, but just wtf. Then the wait. It was long this evening, the titty show went on for a while, then finally, my legs weak from 4 hours of standing, the lights went off.

And my mind became blown. Axl said something right after brownstone, about the grass, and I tell ya, that WAS MY WEED MAN! Had just finished a doober (i used to smoke all the time in 2k2, quit since then). The amazing thing was when the lights came on after the show. Every single person that was on the floor - they all looked sweaty, hot, and like they just got laid. Everyone just looked at eachother like "holy crap that was amazing"

December 5th, 2002. My GMC Jimmy wasn't running too well, but I had to drive it. Shitty weather, picked up my friend, drove into the city, parked in one of those 30 million dollar garages and set out. Purposely missed CKY and most of the mixmaster. Guns came on so much quicker that night, and from the beginning to end, very few people sat down. A truly amazing show. Having waited for this for so long, it was probably the most emotionally high I've ever been about the band. I remember leaving that night thinking "they are really fucking back, and people are accepting it"

December 6th, 2002. Changed the oil in the jimmy in some damn cold weather. Said a quick prayer and took the hour and half ride down to Philly. Everyone kept yelling at my buddy cuz he wore his mets sweatshirt and they are hated down there. Missed CKY and Mixmaster Mike again on purpose. But, got word they had stopped selling Beer. Said to my girlfriend, Axl isn't coming and they don't want to start a riot. Ten minutes went by, and no cameramen went to their spots for the titty show. Said again, this is not a good sign. I said fucking it and in my seat on the middle of the floor I took one hit off my pipe under my sweatshirt, and then BAMN! the first chair came down from the top. I started screaming at some dumb fucks who took this as a sign to start doing more damage, then I just put my girl in between me and my friend and got away from the floor. Went outside and bought some t-shirts, half price! The feeling leaving that night was the exact opposite from the night before.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2005, 08:57:34 PM »

WTF?Huh 

Rainx said:  Guns came on so much quicker that night, and from the beginning to end, very few people sat down.

How the fuck could anybody sit down at any point of that show?  That's crazy...okay, maybe during Buckethead's solo.   Wink   Goddamn I love this band.  I must have been 15 rows from the ceiling, and it was still awesome!

Axl4Prez2004   beer 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2005, 03:28:59 AM »

Friday December 6th...Me and a few friends drove into Philly from Jersey, totally fucking psyched.? We were gonna see Axl Rose live.? We got to the arena and I bought a badass CD tourshirt bootleg in the parking lot.? There was this radio station there that had a booth set up and we sang some GN'R kareoke (WTTJ).? Then we went in and sat down.? CKY was ok, nothing special but not terrible.? Then came Mix Master Mike...man did he suck.? But the whole time I was just thinking, "It doesn't matter how bad he sucks cause pretty soon Axl Rose is gonna be up on that stage."? Mix Master finished up and the wait began.? The minutes turned to long hours.? Rob Zombie's Sinister Urge album played over the loudspeaker twice all the way through.? After every song the crowd would start to get loud with anticipation.? After a couple hours we noticed people starting to pack up stuff on the stage.? The beer and soda began to rain down upon the stage.? We saw the security guards get in a big line and walk out.? The words, "Oh fuck!" came to mind.? Then the announcement, "The band will not perform due to illness,"? or some bullshit like that.? And then it was on.? Me and my friends broke some shit and stole some binoculars and then went home.? Thanks Axl...you fucking prick.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:21:43 PM by Rob » Logged

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2005, 11:38:10 AM »

rainx

isn't it amazing that one night (MSG) was the ultimate, the best, and then the next night (PHILLY) was the exact opposite. its unreal, but totally Axl Rose.

My girlfriend bought tix for Boston that monday night, but we never went, thought we could get refunded, never did from Ticketmaster. We had tix for CT and NYC. we were going to go to Philly after that amazing thursday night, but something just told me maybe it was over-kill....how much better could it be than the MSG show. Plus, money was getting low. (yeah, parking in nyc is only for the rich lol)

i dont know...why do i keep coming to this site? why do we all? i feel like i am a 14 yr old britney spears worshipper. its sad. why cant axl atleast give us an idea as to what is going on? would that be so hard?Huh?

does he like being a prick to his fans? does he really not even care?
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 05:17:15 AM »

August 2002 - just come back to London from Reading festival in UK after seeing Metallica and system of a down - absolutely trashed, had two hours to get home, dump rucksack, shower, put on AFD v loud and then travel across London for an hour and a half....feeling tense, excited, sick, happy, FUCK!!!  Got to Docklands arena, almost fell apart just seeing Guns N' Roses on the "playing tonight" board.  Gn'r never played in Scotland on the UYI tour - and i was too young then to go London then to see em  Sad

Got in as Weezer were playing - not bad, but I didnt want to hear anything but solid fact that axl would be singing.  Feeling v tired - I walked slowly through the crowd and then waited a really long n' roses time!  Finally -BLACKOUT - Fortus guitar notes hit the air adn BANG!!!  pyros go off - WTTJ begins.  I couldn't even see axl for the whole of the song - i was suddenly shoving through the crowd - jumping up and down, shouting along, but the crowd was so loud - I couldnt really hear him - so was still like " OUTTA MY WAY - I NEED TO FUCKING SEE HIM!!!!"  Fuck being exhausted - I AM SEEING GUNS n'FUCKIN' ROSES for REAL!!!

Spent the rest of the set asking nice tall men to put me on their shoulders and I was about 10 rows back in the standing area - watching Axl sing his heart out.

ONly song that didnt do it for me was the re-working of KOHD, but otherwise, the new songs sounded class and the joy I felt from hearing so much AFD was immense!

It was just incredible - AXl had a good few chats with the crowd and seemed on GREAT form - funny, sarcastic, laughing at himself a little - really in a good place.

London gave him an amazing response.

The bootleg video i have is poooor quality - but still I watch it in awe.  SO happy i had my chance and got to see Axl.

ckgent
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 08:00:01 AM »

Babydolls, how did you manage to see metallica and system of a down at 2002 reading festival, i dont belive either of them played that year.

Im glad you got to see gn'r in london, but i think its memory has cast everything into a void of confusion regarding the other gigs you saw at that time.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 09:50:24 AM »

Babydolls, how did you manage to see metallica and system of a down at 2002 reading festival, i dont belive either of them played that year.

And you're damn right.

I travelled all the way from Greece to England to see them at Leeds and London.

Had a great time in both shows (the band was amazing) but even greater when Axl saw my GREECE LOVES GNR sign at London and waved at me twice.

He also mentioned it a bit later, ofcourse I went to drink some water cause I was too damn thirsty and I didn't get to hear it untill I got the bootleg.

Anyways, it was soooooooooooo much better than when I saw VR in Greece.

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005, 12:00:09 PM »

good call ckgent - i got em confused.  Metallica must have been after 2002.  It's really not that important - other than the fact that I was weighing up my tiredness and my fear that axl would/wouldn't show that added to my emotions that day.    till G n'R kicked off anyway   ok

Christos AG - great you saw em in Leeds too - a whole weekend of gn'r.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005, 12:07:09 PM »

Pretty simple for me.? My friend and I bought tickets to the Greenville, South Carolina show and planned to hit a strip club or two afterwards, then the tour was canceled. rant
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 12:12:47 PM by Thorazine Shuffle » Logged

WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005, 12:45:53 PM »

Sounds like me Thorazine... Had third row tix to the SC show and floor seats to the DC show.  My brother got to go to the MSG show with his friends.  I was so happy when the tour got cancelled!
madagas
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 12:52:36 PM »

I had tenth row seats right in front of Bucket for the Greenville show..... rant
chadj76
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 06:57:47 PM »

I was beyond jacked up to see GnR for the first time, I drove up from Portland, OR to Vancouver (long ass drive) and we all know how that story ends.  I was pissed and also had tickets for the Tacoma, WA show.  I drove back down to Tacoma and hung out with some old friends of mine, honestly not thinking the show would  happen. 

When I got to the dome the first thing I was shocked by is that 1/2 the dome was blocked off and the other half wasn't very full at all........I got there to see the last 10 mins of MMM, which is 10 mins of my life I will never get back.  I don't know when the doors opened, but by 10:20 or so people were getting restless.  4 drunk guys behind me took off their new CD Tour T-Shirts and threw them in the crowd and advised Axl to do something involing a goat a jar of KY and a gun.........they left.

Anyway, Axl finally decided to hit the stage.  Some sound problems, ear piece problems etc.  I was just waiting for Axl to strom off stage but he didn't.  Funniest part of the show during Patience Axl took a MINI KFC Bucket (like the kind used for a large side dish) off the head of a guy in the front row and put it on!!!! It was classic and Axl actually started cracking up and missed some words.  It was a cool moment to see Axl actually smile.

Glad I got to see them.

Don't damn me when I speak a piece of my mind 'cause silence isn't golden when I'm holding it inside
blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2005, 12:45:18 AM »

I went to the show, and he said he will be back soon!! ok

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
Denhold
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2005, 04:01:17 AM »

Pukkelpop, Belgium 2002

Early in the mornig we drove form Germany to Belgium. I was raining all day. Dont know if I am right but I think it was the last day of the three at the festival. When we arrived at the festival area I saw many people all over with mud. The whole area was a big field of mud. I cant remember who played before GnR but the guy must have had a bad experience to play there. Everbody was shouting for GnR during his whole set. We stood there in the 10th raw and the whole place was full of GnR fans. The rain stopped and the wait was very long before Axl started. I was afraid that he would not show up. Then the riff from jungle started and the crowd went nuts.
The show was great. Axl was in great mood. "Here today gone to belgium. This one is for Jarmo!" Dont know if that were the exact words. Axl was laughing very much. I saw GnR two times before this evening and I never thought I would see him again. It was unreal. The new songs sounded so good that night. You cant compare them with the bootlegs, not even with the soundboard recordings. I never heard the bootleg from this show and I never will.
I think it will destroy the great memoriesof this night. 
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2005, 11:26:06 AM »

went to philly... he didnt show, we ripped the whole fucking arena apat.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2005, 12:51:10 PM »

london, late july 2002...

i'd seen tickets were going on sale soon or were on sale but in this pre-internet at home age i had no idea where to get them from or if i even wanted to after getting screwed around with the previously announced uk dates the summer before, anyway, found a website at work with 4 standing tickets for me and some mates and got them

fast forward to august 26th 2002,
i was working nightshift the day before (bank holiday money man!!) so was lucozade and red-bulled up, knacked and sleepy i got to the gig late, queues were massive, loads of people dressed like buckethead (axl even grabbed a bucket and put it on his head at the begining of the set!) so we're standing at the back of the queue when someone working there says to move to another queue, we do so (running) and are now 20 places from the front of a queue on a side door!!? peace

WE GET IN AND THE PLACE IS EMPTY - i mean empty!!
so straight to the front we goes!!
never thought that'd happen but it was and will always be the best gig i've ever been to!! (and i've seen alot)
it was my brothers first gig too - gonna be hard to top that!!

they played rhiad, chinese democracy, the blues and madagascar from the new songs, and the pyrotechincs ROCKED!!
(i think they could afford them because somebody owed axl rent money "FOR LIVING IN MY ASS!!")

only downside was had to leave during paradise city to get back home, fuckin' tubes!!

seen vr three times since and thou i love 'em, it ain't the same as gn'r!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 12:54:46 PM by Axl Z » Logged

2002 - Docklands Arena, London
2006 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
2006 - Wembley Arena, London
2010 - O2 Arena, London
2017 - Olympic Park, London
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2005, 12:56:14 PM »

went to philly... he didnt show, we ripped the whole fucking arena apat.

classic!

2002 - Docklands Arena, London
2006 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
2006 - Wembley Arena, London
2010 - O2 Arena, London
2017 - Olympic Park, London
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2005, 01:06:32 PM »

Yea shit, this "brand new cool action figure" named Buzz Lightyear, took Woody's place on Andy's bed. The fucking dude, thought he was really Buzz Lightyear trying to save the galaxy from the evil tyrant and not some toy. Fuck man, but it all worked out and they became buds. Shit man, Lucas should remake it so they can digitally replace Mr. Potato head with Darth Spud.

...oh you said TOUR Story...

Yea I had tickets to see them in L.A. that January...it was to be there last show of the tour...

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2005, 03:49:30 PM »

Pretty simple for me.? My friend and I bought tickets to the Greenville, South Carolina show and planned to hit a strip club or two afterwards, then the tour was canceled. rant

I had tickets for the Greenville show as well. Pretty much sucks, any way you look at it. I did, at least, see them in 91 with Skid Row. Great show, and I'll never forget it. I would find a way to come up with however much money it took to see them again if I ever get the chance again.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2005, 04:04:28 PM »

It was probably two or three weeks after the surprise VMA performance (which ain't gonna be done ever again so stop dreaming everytime August rolls around).  I heard that GN'R would be making a stop in Lexington, Kentucky.  I was like "Oh shit!  Finally a place I don't mind driving to!"  And was sooooooooooooooo looking forward to buying tickets.  Then, several days later I found out that the show had been rescheduled for Philly.  Then I was like "well fuck that."

Rest is history.  Or his story.

hihi

legolas
Opening Act

Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time!

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005, 04:21:41 AM »

Pukkelpop, Belgium 2002

Early in the mornig we drove form Germany to Belgium. I was raining all day. Dont know if I am right but I think it was the last day of the three at the festival.

Yeah it was the last day of the Pukkelpop festival. GNR were the closing act on the main stage.
I was standing in front of the stage on the 4th row i think. Real close to the stage and not in the mud (they put rubber/plastic mats in front so no one can be squashed into the mud if they fall down). Like every good GNR show (IMO) Axl was over an hour late, so the crowd was really exited when they finally arrived on stage.
The stage it self was real tiny in comparison with the UYI-tours. Axl didn't have must running around space, and since it had rained all day it was quit slippery.
The show was real great. All the AFD stuff was played and the standard set of new songs. Axl really sounded awesome. Much much better than on VMA. The band also really kicked ass. A specially Richard, who's really all over the place. Robin is cool in a strange way. Tommy is just cool as a good bassplayer should be (even bit like Duff).
They played for nearly two hours.

All and all a real great experience and a satisfying encounter with the new band. Hopefully they will be on tour in the near future...........................

230622-Groningen,120717-GoffertP-Nijmegen,060412-Ahoy-Rdam,100310-Gdome-Arnhem,
070206-GoffertP-Nijmegen,082402-Pukkelp-Hasselt060593-Goffertp-Nijmegen062392-Feyenoord, Rdam
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2005, 11:45:41 AM »

i got 2 tickets for the london show as soon as they were on sale. some days latter my father told me there was this huge gn'r fan he met at the gymn that wanted to go with me, so i met the guy some days before the trip and we went to england on the day of the show (he's still a big friend). i was supposed to meet with a brasilian girl at the airport, but my flight got delayed and her's arrived earlier, so i missed her and i always missed John M and other gn'r fans down at planet hollywood in picaddilly. i got together with another friend from portugal that was doing an interrail and is also a gn'r fanatic, so we all went on to the docklands arena. pretty cool trip talking to a bunch of younger gn'r fans on the train (i'm 30, and i was really suruprised to see 15 year olds interested in gn'r).
the show was great, it was the 3rd time i saw them, but probably wasn't the most emotive - rock in rio 3 meant a lot more, being axl's comeback.
after the show, got back to the airport and back to lisbon.
some days later a friend of mine told me he was going to interview martin scorsese and go to the premier of "gangs of new york" to NYC on the same day Gn'R were playing in MSG, and that way we could get some tickets from the label. he got the tickets but i didn't make the trip, since i was saving up to go and see them in california on new years eve later that year.
what a mistake! so the guy went alone, with 2 FRONT ROW tickets, while the rest of the tour got cancelled.
i always have bad luck with shows in NYC.  this year i bought great tickets to the motley crue concert, so i was going to nyc just for the show. my palne was supposed to arrive at Newark airport at 15:00 PM local time, enough time to drop my bags at the hotel, dress up and go to penn station. well,  the plane got delayed 5 hours, then when we were finally leaving one guy had a herat attack and got delayed another 30 minutes so they could call the paramedics and get all the paper work done because of that situation. then i missed by 1 minute the train to penn station, i had to wait another 20 minutes, so when i finally get in MSG they where ending "sick love song", then they played my favorite song "kickstart my heart" and the show was over (the played anarchy and helter skelter on the encore), that night was a disaster, so i just got really drunk at snatch, got back to the hotel and back to lisboa the next morning!
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2005, 08:51:42 PM »

and i always missed John M and other gn'r fans down at planet hollywood in picaddilly.

Are you sure John M was meeting other fans at Planet Hollywood that day, cause I remember the only ones who showed up there was me, 2 other greeks and Lance (if I remember correctly) with another friend...

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2005, 10:57:36 PM »

Friday December 13th: Sat home extremely pissed off that I wasnt in Tampa watching Guns N Roses play for the first time since the Raleigh Durham show in May '93.

Saturday December 14th: Sat home extremely pissed off that I wasnt in West Palm Beach watching Guns N Roses play for the second time since the Raleigh Durham show in May '93.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
rainX
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2005, 11:09:02 PM »

Friday December 13th: Sat home extremely pissed off that I wasnt in Tampa watching Guns N Roses play for the first time since the Raleigh Durham show in May '93.

Saturday December 14th: Sat home extremely pissed off that I wasnt in West Palm Beach watching Guns N Roses play for the second time since the Raleigh Durham show in May '93.

Wasn't the raleigh durham show actually in chapel hill and in april? I'm only asking because I saw them in NC on april 16, and that was the second to last show that went on in the states.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:13:12 PM by rainX » Logged
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2005, 11:22:58 PM »

You might be right, I have May stuck in my head for some reason, but now that I think of it, I think it might have been late March actually. I just remember GnR and Blind Melon putting on an awesome show. I'll look up the date.

You were correct:
04.16.93 - Dean Smith Center, Chapel Hill, NC
opening act: Blind Melon
set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Double Talkin' Jive, Yesterdays, Attitude, Welcome To The Jungle, The Garden, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Patience, November Rain, Dead Horse, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:25:43 PM by kujo » Logged

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

and i always missed John M and other gn'r fans down at planet hollywood in picaddilly.

Are you sure John M was meeting other fans at Planet Hollywood that day, cause I remember the only ones who showed up there was me, 2 other greeks and Lance (if I remember correctly) with another friend...

i guess he was. i wrote it bad, it was supposed to be "...i ALSO missed...".
my friend bruno ended up watching the show with him on the front row, i prefered to stay a little back.
jmapelian
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2005, 11:20:24 AM »

Philly: Decemeber 6, 2002.  The show that ended it all.  About 10:45 all shit hit the fan when they made the announcement. Duck!!  Flying Chairs and Beers!! While the opening acts were on me and the two others I was there with were at one of the bars and were hearing rumors that Axl wasn't showing around 9:30 or so from people that had heard on the local rock stations 94.1 and 93.3 he was still in NYC. A bit later, i went into the men's room and there were more people talking about rioting if he was a no show.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: