Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:24:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Your GN'R marketing ideas
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your GN'R marketing ideas  (Read 21024 times)
mpkline
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »

picture this, black tv screen, intro to a song can be heard, barely audible. images of riots and oppression in china. Music gets a little louder, more images, music getting louder, pictures of the upcoming olympics in china, music even louder,finally the tv says "Chinese Democracy Is Here", then the first guitar riff of CD starts loud as hell, then 08/08/2008. the most recent version of cd I have heard has exactly 1 minute of intro before the guitar starts, and at 1 minute 30 seconds axl finishs saying it don't really matter. so start the song at maybe 40 seconds, have 20 seconds of build up, do the first 30 after the opening guitar riff. Would be pretty cool.
a special friday release has been done before, any other commerical ideas for CD?
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »

Ok, no sillies anymore :

Honesty from me, and i know none of the parties concerned will actually give a shit, but here iswhat i think :

" Chinese Democracy" has to go.

The title itself makes people, both from the industry and the fanbase, cringe.

It's been anticipated for so long that it's become a joke to some people and it will carry negativity.

The Very title has to go.

That's the first marketing tool.

Nothing to say
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »

Ok, no sillies anymore :

Honesty from me, and i know none of the parties concerned will actually give a shit, but here iswhat i think :

It's been anticipated for so long that it's become a joke to some people and it will carry negativity.

In that case Guns N Roses name should go to lmao   rofl Neither are leaving anyways so it doesn't really matter.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »

Ok, no sillies anymore :

In that case Guns N Roses name should go to lmao   rofl Neither are leaving anyways so it doesn't really matter.

I don't think the name should go, simply because it brings too much money in.
The latest album, although a greatest hits one, sold well.
GNR also have a strong fanbase in terms of the number of registered individuals all over the net.

But the album title could lead to a " oh, no, not this agaain" reaction from professionals.

Nothing to say
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2008, 08:26:30 PM »

I'd say it'd be the most foolish thing to drop the "Chinese Democracy" name. It's mythical, the first song on the record will be most likely be 'Chinese Democracy' and it's a really great album title.

And I doubt they'd go on leg after leg of tours called the "Chinese Democracy World Tour" then ditch the title. People will get over their cynicism.

Anyways promotion is fairly simple. Print ads and a TV spot during something "the kid's watch". I still think the CD intro lends itself well (or even Better or IRS) for an iPod ad. I'd like to see that but I doubt that it'd ever happen. It could go towards Product RED or something.

Then it needs a strong element of viral marketing; MySpace and YouTube. Let people hear some of the music before it comes out and give a couple of teasers to the video. A street team could play a big role if given the necessary resources.
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »

I agree CD while may be a joke to people , is mythical , its legendary without a release. Here is my marketing plan for CD

1. Release CD

2. Watch millions of dollars come in

3. Tour

4. Repeat with new music....

beer
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »

I think they could use the Chinese theme to their advantage, especially with some viral marketing. Put up posters around the world with Chinese text and iconography. Most people wouldn't have a clue what it says or what it's about and their interest will be piqued.

Announce a date and release the single the next week. Put it on iTunes and stream it on the site. Premiere the video on MTV, VH1, Fuse, and MTV2 simultaneously.

Play parts of the album at random clubs around the country for a few weeks. Build up word of mouth for how awesome the stuff sounded.

Have them play a song in an XBOX 360 commercial, kinda like Sony did with Saliva's "Ladies and Gentlemen" in the awesome PS3 ad. Also, XBOX Live has a thing called "Game with Fame" where you can play with celebrities on XBOX Live. Make GNR XBOX's Artist of the Month, put their video on XBOX Live, have contests, etc.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »

I think they could use the Chinese theme to their advantage, especially with some viral marketing. Put up posters around the world with Chinese text and iconography. Most people wouldn't have a clue what it says or what it's about and their interest will be piqued. ...

I agree with the viral. I think a viral campaign is definitely the way to go at this point.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
mpkline
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:16 AM »

So I went to Linkin Park the other night in St. Paul, and I purchased a copy of the concert mixed by the bands sound crew. IT is awesome. So I make the suggestion that Guns N' Roses do the same thing for future shows, Metallica does this of course through their Live metallica website. I think this is a great way to provide additional revenue for the band, and give the fans something we want, a good sounding CD of the concert we went to. Thanks, Mike
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »

I assume you meant that they were literally selling them at the concert venue next to the T-Shirts. Just curious...how long did you have to wait to get the copy of the CD? Must burn 50 to 100 at a time, I guess.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »

off course this would be outstanding but GN'R never were that cool about officially releasing "real" live audio, dont hold your breath on smth. like this.

Re-Union time, baby!!
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »

So I went to Linkin Park the other night in St. Paul, and I purchased a copy of the concert mixed by the bands sound crew. IT is awesome. So I make the suggestion that Guns N' Roses do the same thing for future shows, Metallica does this of course through their Live metallica website. I think this is a great way to provide additional revenue for the band, and give the fans something we want, a good sounding CD of the concert we went to. Thanks, Mike

Alot of bands do this. Black Crowes and Kiss have been doing it for years. I'd LOVE for GNR to do it. Not really as a way to market CD, but just as a way for people to spread the newer members work around. I'd love to have a perfect soundboard version of Jungle to play for some of my friends.

I can imagine playing it and telling them it's from the Illusions era. They'd go on and on about the greatness of former members and how much better Axl sounded back then.

Then I'd go ahead and let the cat outta the bag and they'd feel stupid.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
slunksoma
Headliner

Here Today...Gone to Bed

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2008, 10:00:59 AM »

Think the whole China/Darfur debate is probably not encouraging the label to release an album titled Chinese Democracy at present. I don't think the album title should be changed, I think Guns N' Roses: Chinese Democracy needs to be released for the band's sake. If it came out by any other name then it wouldn't be as dramatic and not get as much attention as the original title.
I think (thats me not the board, band or anyone else) the label are contemplating when to release it because of the delicate title, they are either going to go one of two ways: Release it now, to play off the back of Speilberg denouncing China and get all the publicity surrounding that. Or wait for it to die down after the Beijing Olympics as to not rock the boat.
It comes down to the type of execs at the label now - if they are willing to let fly into the midst of all of this, or go the safer route and hold off.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

I really don't think the title is an issue now after years without question.
many a time Mr iovine referred to it as chinese democracy.
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »

The title has more relevance this year than any prior year ......
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2008, 01:07:37 PM »

FFS the CD world tour began in HongKong......It ain't a problem for the rest of the world, and if you are a chinese leader, well.............

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »

This is How the gnr marketing train should start.

1. Have the whole band in China , perhaps on the Great Wall of China, do a press conference announcing the release date
of Chinese Democracy, then play chinese democracy Live streat after the press conference, whilst still on the great wall.

(why? Because Axl being in china announcing chinese democracy is far more symbolic and will stay in peoples heads more so
then just say getting on tv in america, either on letterman/ gnr website. Axl/gnr has to do something that hasn't been done before
and Axl is doing something that hasnt been done before, So imo this goes hand in hand and it would have alot of people watching
because its a world first ... Think of the news/media attention this would get...)

2. Then release a single the very next week, and an album a few months later...

3. Tour after the album comes out, and Release another Single whilst touring just to revamp and refreshen the setlist
and get more ticket sales, and keep things fresh..

4. Look after your fanbase as we are coming up with all these ideas and being supportive,

5. Repeat until rich.. and well = known...

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
chilly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2008, 07:55:11 AM »

ok, heres my shot at this murky subject,

release one song on myspace, fully mastered, its worked for countless other bands, the new blind melon being one, this would garner enough publicity and keep the wolves from the door and keep the fans happy, something to talk about other than "axls beard" or the normal bitch fest this board normally sinks onto.

hint at a release date or at least update us a little, following bread crumbs gets a little frustrating month after month.

anyway, whatever the legal reasons are for holding up the cd are, i hope they're resolved soon.

peace, life goes on.

chilly

"this is so real, like the time dave floated away..."
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »

Axl buyout your contract with Geffen and do it digital like NIN they just made 1.6 million in revenue off there new album off their website !!!   Music I believe in 2 years will be booming as ever as the record companys will no longer exsist as things like tunecore where you can distribute music yourself.  I see neogations with Geffen with CD going nowhere so why not try it !!!!

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2008, 03:25:59 AM »

Have Carrie Underwood come back to American Idol towards the end of this year, as shes getting into singing one of her many GNR covers, Axl comes out and joins her.  the place goes crazy.  axl ends it by announcing the release date of CD.

very popular/watched TV show (I personally fucking hate it  ok), with the shows greatest success and the last great Rock Star the world has known.

another idea would be a surprise appearance on a big awards show with the original band who are then joined onstage by the new band (or vice versa, I guess old following new would be more gigantic) - sort of a passing on the torch.  yeah people would be talking about doing a reunion but the buzz would be out there and people would be talking about Guns n' Roses.  of course, i doubt all the necessary parties would agree to this, but its fun to think about it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:32:51 AM by Hill-Dog » Logged

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: