Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:30:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Your GN'R marketing ideas
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your GN'R marketing ideas  (Read 21022 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2008, 05:34:04 AM »

Have Carrie Underwood come back to American Idol towards the end of this year, as shes getting into singing one of her many GNR covers, Axl comes out and joins her.  the place goes crazy.  axl ends it by announcing the release date of CD.

very popular/watched TV show (I personally fucking hate it  ok), with the shows greatest success and the last great Rock Star the world has known.

another idea would be a surprise appearance on a big awards show with the original band who are then joined onstage by the new band (or vice versa, I guess old following new would be more gigantic) - sort of a passing on the torch.  yeah people would be talking about doing a reunion but the buzz would be out there and people would be talking about Guns n' Roses.  of course, i doubt all the necessary parties would agree to this, but its fun to think about it.

thats not gonnna happen yo.

I'm not a marketing expert, so I dont know.   I just hope the album comes out and that it does well.   I leave it to the marketing geniuses behind the scene to do their job.  Smiley
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2008, 10:02:39 AM »

I would go the other way with the Olympics. I think there is a golden opportunity out there if Axl is prepared to take it.

China hosting the Olympics is Controversial, the Western media is not going to ignore the apects of China the Communist regime attempt to hide. The media would love the idea of Axl Rose coming out of hiding after 14 years to release an Album titled Chinese Democracy.

The marketing could be done in a way that would really make some heads roll. In the begining a viral campaign could be conducted over the internet, on TV, in the Cinemas, even in the major broadsheets. Have advertisments, posters, massive projections on major buildings all over the world, im talking Big Ben, the Empre State etc. Have massive Chinese symbols popping up everywhere with phrases such as "the Revolution is coming" "Democracy Soon!" etc. Make it out so it all appears to be some anti Communist Chinese/ Olympic revolutionary movement wanting to bring Democracy to China (fits in very well considering what the US is trying to bring to the world). This would probably get some attention in the media, it would at least get people asking "what the hell does this all mean". The ultimate rise would be to get the Chinese Government condemning the various advertisments. Imagine the Press, its gold!

From here i dont really know where they should go, but i would make it as controversial as possible, show everything bad about Communist China in advertisments, the human rights abuses, the organ trade, the support for Darfur etc. Then at some point start weaving the music into the marketing, somehow incorporate it into what people are seeing, maybe have some sort of shadowy figures (members of the band) that gradually at each stage of the marketing get lighter and lighter until finally they are revealed. Then drop the album just before the start of the Olympics, maybe to coincide with the actual opening of the games. Axl could do some sort of alternative opening ceremony in LA, get all the Holywood types down, celebs etc, pledge all the money raised at the concert to Darfur..... the media again would absolutly love this, and Hollywood is always up for some campaigning.

Then do the tour, world tour, try and get to China but that probably wont happen, so instead play in Tibet! From then on drop the criticism of China, probably best  Axl doesnt say anything to criticise otherwise it just looks too far, too stupid, too typical, ie the band that went political etc.

There is a massive opportunity here with the Olympics, at worst it gets people noticing, at best it gets a rise out of the Chinese and causes a diplomatic incident, propells Guns back into the top league, sells shitloads of albums because of the massive worldwide exposure!

Jonx
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 10:06:22 AM by Jonx » Logged
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »

GnR just needs to get rid of Geffen and hook up with Live Nation and sign a contract with them including the albums and touring.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

Have Carrie Underwood come back to American Idol towards the end of this year, as shes getting into singing one of her many GNR covers, Axl comes out and joins her.  the place goes crazy.  axl ends it by announcing the release date of CD.

very popular/watched TV show (I personally fucking hate it  ok), with the shows greatest success and the last great Rock Star the world has known.

another idea would be a surprise appearance on a big awards show with the original band

puke ->

Nothing personal to you or the formers. your idea is what I would have agreed when I was new here...But after years of my fellow fans bearing against reunionist attacks, even the thought of seeing the old guys and my fav GNR peeps in a same sentence makes me sick. I guess the experience was sorta traumatic to me. Ok who cares about my feeling but  it might hole true to anyone in love with this band.
Imagine how the very people would feel
makane
Legend

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »

another idea would be a surprise appearance on a big awards show with the original band who are then joined onstage by the new band (or vice versa, I guess old following new would be more gigantic) - sort of a passing on the torch.  yeah people would be talking about doing a reunion but the buzz would be out there and people would be talking about Guns n' Roses.  of course, i doubt all the necessary parties would agree to this, but its fun to think about it.

Why does everything have to be "big" and "a lot of dollars"? Seems like people are more interested how many dollars Axl can squeeze of this album, than the music itself.

Do you think thats what hes thinking? "damn, if I get Carrie Underwood to sing with me, I probably can afford that new pool I always wanted"?

Leave this to Velvet Revolver.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »

Why does everything have to be "big" and "a lot of dollars"? Seems like people are more interested how many dollars Axl can squeeze of this album, than the music itself.

you tell me, i never mentioned money once....

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
axl in lafayette
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_I-IV

He is wanting to emulate nine inch nails anyway...this is brilliant. I would get the best thing they would want to sell, cobble together different versions of the songs since their inception, as far back as 1994...

MUCH better than some 13 song CD put out in Best Buy. Anyway, its a way to capture all the different forms CD has gone under, i mean if this isn't a good idea, i don't know what is.
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »

I know this has nothing to do with GNR...but since we're talking marketing...I thought it might be on subject.  Could GNR pull this off?

NEW RACONTERS...

it's called Consolers Of The Lonely and it comes out next week.  Yes.  Next fucking week.

It contains 14 new recordings and is being released globally on Third Man Records in conjunction with our marketing/distribution partners, XL Recordings and Warner Brothers Records.

The album was mastered and completed in the first week of March.  It was then taken immediately to a vinyl pressing plant.  Then to a CD pressing plant.  Then preparations to sell it digitally began.  March 25th became the soonest date to have it available in EVERY FORMAT AT ONCE.  The band have done no interviews or advertisements for this record before this announcement.

The purpose: to get the album to the fans as soon as possible and as we promised.  We wanted to get this record to fans, the press, radio, etc., all at the EXACT SAME TIME so that no one has an upper hand on anyone else regarding it?s availability, reception or perception.

With this release, The Raconteurs are forgoing the usual months of lead-time for press and radio set up, as well as forgoing the all-important ?first week sales?.  We wanted to explore the idea of releasing an album everywhere at once and THEN marketing and promoting it thereafter.  The Raconteurs would rather this release not be defined by it?s first weeks sales, pre-release promotion, or by someone defining it FOR YOU before you get to hear it.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2008, 01:10:41 AM »

^^Interesting idea.  I think it works for them though, but wouldn't for a band like GNR.   At the end of the day, sales matter, especially one that cost millions to make.  the hype alone for CD should sell a million records. they are going to need that press (and mind blowingly positive reviews)

be curious to see what the new standards become, seems like a lot of artists are experimenting with new ways to release their material.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2008, 01:42:55 AM »

but basically the music should only matter  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
reedroth
Opening Act

« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »

I think a full-blown election-type campaign to hype up the release of CD in '08.  Since it is an election year.  I came up with  a design based on what Obama's campaign is doing.  Check it out.

It would be cool if you started seeing bumperstickers and t-shirts everywhere, kind of like that Obey sticker.  Then we would know that Chinese Democracy is upon us.  I also have this image on t-shirts at Cafe Press.

www.cafepress.com/chinesed
superloconoriega
Big gay Al
Headliner

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »

it would be cool if MTV had a live concert midnight the day of the release and coverage of record stores selling the cd and stuff like that.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »

or the webcasting of it would be super cool. drool
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: