Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Your favourite opening songs for upcoming shows
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favourite opening songs for upcoming shows  (Read 16062 times)
Buckeye
Opening Act

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »

Curious whether the hardcore fans would prefer they open the shows with Jungle, or save Jungle for the middle of the set.  It goes without saying that Axl and the rest of the band will do whatever they want - and whatever they choose will be great.  But interested in the diehards' preference.

After thinking about this, I think opening the shows with Jungle is the better move.  I'm a little torn, because probably my favorite live clip of the band ever is Jungle at the 1988 Ritz show where they save it for the middle of the set.  To me, that performance was just perfect.  Axl introduces the song by telling the story of him hitchhiking before he was famous, Slash enters with his trademark feedback, teases the chords, and then the band goes into an electric performance. 

But in contrast, I was at the first two 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom shows in NYC where the new band opened with Jungle.  To me that was an incredibly effective way to start the show.  The crowd was full of diehards and the anticipation was building all night during the opening acts.  When first notes of Jungle broke out, the ballroom just exploded.  It set the tone for the entire show, which was amazing (both nights). 

Looking at the setlists over the years, I know the band has mixed it up - probably more often saving Jungle for the middle of the set.  But I just think blowing the audience out of the water with the first song, like they did in 2006, was the most effective way to set the tone for a great show.

What are people's preferences for the show opener?

Slash once played my Les Paul (pic to the left) & the bass used on "Better" is literally on my living room floor. 

Was at the first and last shows of the Bumblefoot era: 5/12/06 NYC & 6/7/14 Vegas
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2016, 01:15:55 AM »

I'd like to see Nigtrain return as an opener like it was during the UYI days.
SharkOfLargo
Opening Act

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2016, 02:48:11 AM »

Welcome To The Jungle all the way for me.  The opening riff is perfect to open any gig in my opinion.

All Aboard..........
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »

I think Slash liked opening with Nightrain. Wink

Perfect Crime, Right Next Door To Hell, Welcome To The Jungle, and Chinese Democracy would all be cool songs to open with.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »

I think Slash liked opening with Nightrain. Wink

Perfect Crime, Right Next Door To Hell, Welcome To The Jungle, and Chinese Democracy would all be cool songs to open with.

This The Song !!!

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Slashrose
Rocker

Twitter - @sonicmonstersk8

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »

This is Nightrain !
johnreed3344
Rocker

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2016, 10:58:06 AM »

lately ive been JAMMING to Right Next Door to Hell but it has to be JUNGLE

12/5/02
5/17/06
11/5/06
11/17/11
11/26/11
2/10/12
2/24/12
6/8/13
4/8/16
4/16/16
7/14/16
7/23/16
10/11/17
10/12/17
10/15/17
10/16/17
7/1/18
10/1/19
8/5/21
8/11/23
8/15/23 NE
Continental_Drift
Headliner

MaoAxl (98-12)

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »

I think it will be something from Appetite. Probably "WTTJ" most nights- with the occasional "Nightrain" or "ISE" tossed in. Some of the UYI songs (e.g. "Perfect Crime", "Right Next Door To Hell", "Pretty Tied UP", etc.) would be cool openers in theory- but seems unlikely (IMHO) to open shows with songs from an era that may not be a real point of emphasis (e.g. Matt and Gilby on the sidelines, everyone wanting to celebrate Appetite's impending 30th, things the regrouped band may do in the future, etc.). I'm sure the UYI "hits" (e.g. "NR", "DC", "YCBM", "LALD", "KOHD", etc.) will still feature later in the show though...

#GnFnR
Ericnor
Rocker

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »

The opening of jungle is amazing. So I'd root for that.
Also Nightrain would be a good pick, but I think it sounds better later on in shows, as Axls voice is more "warmed up" then.

Doesn't really matter though. I am more psyched on how they will do the light setting.
Maybe we won't see the guys together before the first show?
I imagine them coming out in complete darkness. Then the spotlight on Slash, starting an intro of whatever song.
I envy the people going to the shows. Hope they will so Europe as well.

-Eirik

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »

Mix Of Members -->

Slash/Duff/Fortus/Pitman/Dizzy/Ferrer

New Intro / ChinDem / Wttj

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »

I would love to hear Mr Brownstone as an opener, imagine the beginning being extended as silohette of members take there place then WHAM straight into the song, its a proper knarly song too  smoking
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2016, 04:32:52 PM »

For the people saying Jungle... Do you think Slash will play the intro like he always plays it, or do you think he will go along with the way they have been doing it since 2001 with the sort of teasing fractured start? Personally I hope they push the song further back in the set... what do people think on arraignment?

I like it later in the show, personally.
I also liked how it was around the middle of the show in the old days but it makes perfect sense as an opener on a reunion tour. The crowd will go ape shit right off the bat hearing that. Using openers like Perfect Crime, RNDTH,ISE,etc. from yesteryear will not have the same impact as Jungle will. No other song in the set can do what Jungle does.

Hell....even my grandma would go nuts hearing that. So will the Coachella hipsters.

I agree on mostly everything. But I think it would be very interresting to see them open with SCOM. Fucking blast their biggest hit that everyone and their mother knows the lyrcs too. Blacked out stage except for the catwalk. Slash casually walks up to the big middle cat walk. Plays the intro. Duff  AKA "the second coolest guy ever" walks right up to him and starts playing. Then Axl (in fucking great shape) run up the catwalk, joining the two singing the lyrics.

I would probably jizz in my pants. And I usually don't care for SCOM.  rofl
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »

For the people saying Jungle... Do you think Slash will play the intro like he always plays it, or do you think he will go along with the way they have been doing it since 2001 with the sort of teasing fractured start? Personally I hope they push the song further back in the set... what do people think on arraignment?

I like it later in the show, personally.
I also liked how it was around the middle of the show in the old days but it makes perfect sense as an opener on a reunion tour. The crowd will go ape shit right off the bat hearing that. Using openers like Perfect Crime, RNDTH,ISE,etc. from yesteryear will not have the same impact as Jungle will. No other song in the set can do what Jungle does.

Hell....even my grandma would go nuts hearing that. So will the Coachella hipsters.

I agree on mostly everything. But I think it would be very interresting to see them open with SCOM. Fucking blast their biggest hit that everyone and their mother knows the lyrcs too. Blacked out stage except for the catwalk. Slash casually walks up to the big middle cat walk. Plays the intro. Duff  AKA "the second coolest guy ever" walks right up to him and starts playing. Then Axl (in fucking great shape) run up the catwalk, joining the two singing the lyrics.

I would probably jizz in my pants. And I usually don't care for SCOM.  rofl
like it  ok but to add Slash plugs his guitar into an amp first (a bit like the video)
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2016, 11:52:42 PM »

Nightrain.

Jungle should be reserved for later in the show.

I'd be happy for the old illusions format. Any of Nightrain Its so easy, 14 years etc
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »

Can't see it being anything other than Jungle.  For fans that haven't seen them in ages, that's the song that will blow the place up.  Hammerstein 2006 was mostly all die-hards, who are all into the deeper cuts and whatnot, but when that opening riff and voice came on, forget it, pure madness. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:06:18 AM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: