Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 02:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227881 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Does Money "Affects" on Song writtin' and Inspiration Process on Rock Bands?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Money "Affects" on Song writtin' and Inspiration Process on Rock Bands?  (Read 2862 times)
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« on: February 19, 2005, 12:55:15 AM »

I've always been wondering and asking myself that, I mean,I  look at my heroes (musically talkin') and there are some pro and cons about this inspirational and writing music & lyrics process.
     For Instance, lets start by the beginin' I do like The Beatles, in their case, fame & fortune didn't "affect" this musical process, what i mean, is that their later albums seem to be the best ones, and its not just my point of view its also the majority.
     If move forward, we see Pink Floyd, We see The Doors  JImi Hendrix , those bands never released "Bad " albums. I quoted Bad because  i consider a bad album an album that has one hit wonder in it and thats it, Im talkin about good albums. Then we have deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath those bands released excelent albums, too

But what Happened in the 80's?Huh?sadly  the 80's killed some of the best rock bands that have walked  on this planet....and yes!  im talkin about The Rolling Stones. and i tell you because i have all their albums and their 60's 70's material are master pieces  that simply cant be compared to the 80's shit , i mean  The 80's killed this strong band, but then the 90's came and they released Vooddo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon (wich to me its an EXCELENT album!) With this album The Rolling Stones proves they are the grandparents of rock n roll and brought us killer tracks. so whats the problem when you have all that money, all that power all that fame on your shoulders?

I would like to write and share more about this topic with you but i would like to read your post first and see how it goes...... thanks

ps: Go ahead  Metallica bashers !  Undecided

If the world would end today... Wink
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 01:49:20 AM »

I think a lot has to do with the style of music they play more than anything else.

for instance the reason Axl had to change GNR was because you cant keep singing about drugs,alcohol etc especially when you dont do it anymore

Axl cant write Welcome to the Jungle anymore or songs like that cause he is in a much too different of a place now

thats what happens to most bands and is why? more mellow out i think. u can always sing about love whether u are rich and famous or poor and homeless but those other songs in the vein of  Mr Brownstone,Nightrain etc axl cant write those anymore, so in some ways money definitely affects music because to be true to themselves they have to sing about other things then they use to sing about

before anyone says something i know axl didnt write Brownstone, it was an example of the types of songs he cant write anymore.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 01:51:59 AM by Izzy's sunglasses » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jgfnsr
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 05:36:18 AM »

I think a lot has to do with the style of music they play more than anything else.

for instance the reason Axl had to change GNR was because you cant keep singing about drugs,alcohol etc especially when you dont do it anymore

Axl cant write Welcome to the Jungle anymore or songs like that cause he is in a much too different of a place now

thats what happens to most bands and is why? more mellow out i think. u can always sing about love whether u are rich and famous or poor and homeless but those other songs in the vein of? Mr Brownstone,Nightrain etc axl cant write those anymore, so in some ways money definitely affects music because to be true to themselves they have to sing about other things then they use to sing about

before anyone says something i know axl didnt write Brownstone, it was an example of the types of songs he cant write anymore.

I hear what you're saying D.

That's one thing I've always thought separated Axl and the rest of the ex-Gunners.

The past is the past and you can't go back in time.  You can't recapture the lightning in the bottle once it has already been released.

Axl and the rest of the guys aren't the same as they were 15 years ago.  They can try to be, try to have their music be the same way, but it won't work.  It comes across as hollow, forced, and uninspired.

I think Axl realizes this and has been trying to create a new "bottle of lightning," so to speak.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 12:37:53 PM »

Im gonna think a little naive, In the 80's lots of bands took advantage of what was going on that moment, bands like Guns, Metallica, Jovi puke, were coming to the scene and lots of other bands just like warrant, poison, motley crue, try to do the same thing, but they ruined and satured the media with the catchy chorus and melodies, and as Dead Horse said they were just realising one hit wondered, IMO most of this bands ruined what was supposed to be the new upcoming way of rock, eventually they fail, as for the answer to the question, money do affect in song writting as they are pressioned to released a new album just like the contract said, something that in the 60's and 70's I guess didn't happened.  peace

No man can be my equal
Stokesy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 02:42:25 PM »

I think Izzy's sunglasses hit the nail on the head.

I also think that bands can get too comfortable.  When you've got a million doller house and a couple of Ferraris it would be difficult to maintain the fire and hunger that you had when you were breaking through.

BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 03:00:43 PM »

this can easily turn into ......? ?1980's brought in MTV = Commercializzzzm = Jobs = MTV Has TV Standards & Ratings to worry about = People Conform = There are middlemen now with jobs = producers = The begin of shitty music = a few will slip through the cracks.

This makes other artist's that are more concerned with the music to turn into the "Underground". Do you think Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Jerry Garcia, The Allman bro's, & a whole lot more was concerned about "Standards" ?? ha! booooo

I take what I see on TV & what are on our top 'Frontman lists etc' to be a very .. very small acknowledgement of what decent music is.? 80's produced a lot great music both live & not.....? but a lot goes unnoticed for this reason.

so to answer the question.......? if a musicians main focuss is to conform for money? bands like Nickleslack, Winger, I'll shut up right here .... then yea.

-BP
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 03:03:21 PM by Bi Polar » Logged

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 01:17:56 AM »

First of all, rock died in the 70's and metal took its place in the 80's. As for money, it doesn't have to hurt a band's inspiration. Maiden, Priest, and Motorhead still put out excellent music, despite their success.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

yes. i think people can get 2 arrogant with money as 1 of u chikans mentioned u dont put in as much effort as when u try 2 break thru as u really try and do hard. but if u have a band where evry gets on well, then money may not have an affect.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: