Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Heavy-Metal: yes or no?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy-Metal: yes or no?  (Read 33998 times)
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2005, 08:47:22 PM »

His name is Rob Halford, and he's the metal god. His voice is perfect.

finaly, Walk, something we can agree on  yes

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2006, 07:08:18 PM »

Um, KoRn and Slipknot aren't heavy metal. They're not even heavy. The best "pissed off" metal is stuff like Pantera, Fear Factory, Napalm Death.
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2006, 02:57:36 AM »

Um, KoRn and Slipknot aren't heavy metal. They're not even heavy. The best "pissed off" metal is stuff like Pantera, Fear Factory, Napalm Death.

So true man. Metal died ages ago along with punk. This punk/metal colaberation into hardcore/emo crap is the NEW metal. Even damage plan had that drowning pool feel to em.
What has happened to music?HuhHuh?

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2006, 04:07:32 AM »

Let me put it this way - is MTV the only way you find out about new bands?

There's so much great music coming out all the time, and with all the old stuff I still haven't heard, I wish I had more time to listen to it all...

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2006, 04:31:27 AM »

Let me put it this way - is MTV the only way you find out about new bands?

There's so much great music coming out all the time, and with all the old stuff I still haven't heard, I wish I had more time to listen to it all...

Im a soundtech for a few clubs in Newcastle Australia and i used to be a promoter aswell and the amout of bands I see every week that should have a record deal or at least a huge following but dont is unbelievable. It sux to see all this talent go to waste on some fuck with a beenie-cap or a dickhead with a shitload of tats so they look tough that their mums paid for.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2006, 02:39:02 PM »

So, you're saying that the talent is there (which is true, and it always has been), but it isn't being recognized. Well, I have some bad news. Lots of talent wasn't recognized in the 80's, either. Most people don't know about Incubus, for example. The 3rd (as far as I know, at least, from metal-archives records) band called Incubus, I mean. The death metal band that goes by Opprobrium these days because a corporate pop band stole their name with a lawyer army.

So, that's 4 bands called Incubus, and only one was really remarkable, even though the original was some decent NWOBHM, but there's always a lot of that. They should have chosen an original name. The fact that they were Christian death metal didn't help, either.  Undecided It's simply miraculous that band names like Death, Cynic, and so on haven't been stolen by mallcore wannabes.

Besides issues with finding a good name, bands have to find a good sound. But, if they have a good sound, they have to have a good name to match it, or they'll end up like Incubus. Toss in the problem of bad radio, MTV, and the usual suspects, and you have a lack of good music.

Interestingly, bands like Metallica sold lots of records without airplay and MTV back in the day, so maybe the culture of music has changed. Even black metal fans want to be kvlt and refuse to tell people about good bands. Some bands even try to avoid exposure, even resorting to spamming metal-archives to get their names removed!  rofl People are willing to share MP3's, but they won't share enough info about new bands.

Well, I do, but the tepid responses I get aren't encouraging.  Undecided
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »

People are willing to share MP3's, but they won't share enough info about new bands.

People would share more info if they had knowledge of it in the first place.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2006, 05:13:12 PM »

I'd like to know what do you like in that kind of music. I have a big problem with anything metal/heavy-metal/trash etc... and I'm very surprised to see how many GN'R fans listen to that kind of music, I just don't understand: What are you attracted by??what do you like in heavy-metal? I'm just curious to know it.

well...first you have to define metal...i consider metal to be anything that is completely lacking in a "blues" influence...

classic rock bands (like aerosmith, led zeppelin, ac/dc, gnr, etc.) all have a very heavy blues sound to their rock...very melodic and soulful...you can distinctly recognize the catchy guitar riffs and vocal melodies...this makes for much more up-beat and positive-sounding music.

metal, on the other hand is completely devoid of soul or melody...it's more about making noise than about making an actual recognizable melody.  very dull, and depressing in its sound.

gnr, ac/dc - those bands are "rock n roll"....

disturbed, etc....that kind of shit is "metal"

metallica is a band that rests on the border of metal and rock...sometimes their music can be melodic, but other times it is very dark and lacking in melody ( much like the "st. anger" album, which was very much "metal" )

in other words:   rock is good....metal is garbage.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »

metal, on the other hand is completely devoid of soul or melody...it's more about making noise than about making an actual recognizable melody.

LMAO... that's some silly shit right there. Metal is a very wide genre, and there are zillions of bands that incorporate soul and melody into their music.

In other words: you're one ignorant mofo.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2006, 05:34:24 PM »

metal, on the other hand is completely devoid of soul or melody...it's more about making noise than about making an actual recognizable melody.

LMAO... that's some silly shit right there. Metal is a very wide genre, and there are zillions of bands that incorporate soul and melody into their music.

in other words:? ?rock is good....metal is garbage.

In other words: you're one ignorant mofo.

ummm...you're the one that just admitted to liking garbage...i think that makes you the ignorant mofo...

oh....and suckmuhballs
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2006, 03:09:01 AM »

I'd like to know what do you like in that kind of music. I have a big problem with anything metal/heavy-metal/trash etc... and I'm very surprised to see how many GN'R fans listen to that kind of music, I just don't understand: What are you attracted by??what do you like in heavy-metal? I'm just curious to know it.

well...first you have to define metal...i consider metal to be anything that is completely lacking in a "blues" influence...

classic rock bands (like aerosmith, led zeppelin, ac/dc, gnr, etc.) all have a very heavy blues sound to their rock...very melodic and soulful...you can distinctly recognize the catchy guitar riffs and vocal melodies...this makes for much more up-beat and positive-sounding music.

metal, on the other hand is completely devoid of soul or melody...it's more about making noise than about making an actual recognizable melody.? very dull, and depressing in its sound.

metallica is a band that rests on the border of metal and rock...sometimes their music can be melodic, but other times it is very dark and lacking in melody ( much like the "st. anger" album, which was very much "metal" )

in other words:? ?rock is good....metal is garbage.

Wow, dude...that was the most hilarious shit I've ever read.  Your arbitrary definitions and classifications of bands is mind boggling.  Seriously though, you obviously don't know jack about metal so please refrain from embarassing yourself any further.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2006, 10:13:06 AM »

No, it's not. Listen to Helloween, Dragonforce, and Blind Guardian. That's metal. Disturbed is mallcore.

Have you even heard metal before? Have you even heard Iron Maiden or Judas Priest?
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »

Better yet, heard Queen's stone cold crazy? thats what I call a first step of metal  yes

No man can be my equal
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2006, 10:50:34 AM »

That's a good rock song. It's not metal, but it sounds great when it's "metallized'. I'm going to flush a lot of my kvlt kr3d here, but Britney Spear's song toxic sounds really cool with metal instruments. I forgot where I heard it, but it was good.

I heard her say on VH1 that you should only dress like Rob Halford in 1982 if: #1- You are Rob Halford and #2- It's 1982.  rofl She's brighter than people think she is, compared to the Mandy's, Jessica's, Jennifer's, Lindsey's, and whatever's popular now.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2006, 11:06:19 AM »

Yeah but the elements of heaviness is there, the speed riff the drumming banging the shit out of the sticks, you know?, also even metallica covers sounds good but only cause the original is great  ok

No man can be my equal
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2006, 02:52:58 PM »

She's brighter than people think she is, compared to the Mandy's, Jessica's, Jennifer's, Lindsey's, and whatever's popular now.

I don't even know who this is; seriously.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
WhosGilby?
Rocker

Now we all know better!

« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2006, 09:30:38 PM »

Metal has a bad reputation these days because of all the shit thats come out of bands claiming to be metal. Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Dio, Judas Priest, even Guns N Roses (listen to Your Crazy) those are real metal bands.

So bitersweet this tragedy Won't ask for absolution
This melody, inside of me Still searches for solution
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2006, 08:15:14 AM »

I'd like to know what do you like in that kind of music. I have a big problem with anything metal/heavy-metal/trash etc... and I'm very surprised to see how many GN'R fans listen to that kind of music, I just don't understand: What are you attracted by? what do you like in heavy-metal? I'm just curious to know it.

metal, on the other hand is completely devoid of soul or melody...it's more about making noise than about making an actual recognizable melody.  very dull, and depressing in its sound.

AC/DC is more 'soulful' than Megadeth then?  Roll Eyes

Quite a lot of metal (that I listen to anyway) isn't bluesy but a lot more classically influenced, which makes for excellent guitar and vocal melodies and harmonies.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 08:23:04 AM by Metallifuck » Logged

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »

I bleed metal.

Fucking love it!  ok
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »

That's a good rock song. It's not metal, but it sounds great when it's "metallized'. I'm going to flush a lot of my kvlt kr3d here, but Britney Spear's song toxic sounds really cool with metal instruments. I forgot where I heard it, but it was good.

I heard her say on VH1 that you should only dress like Rob Halford in 1982 if: #1- You are Rob Halford and #2- It's 1982.? rofl She's brighter than people think she is, compared to the Mandy's, Jessica's, Jennifer's, Lindsey's, and whatever's popular now.
You heard Children of Bodom's cover of 'Oops I Did It Again'??  tr00!  rofl

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: