Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Amazing Story Behind the Global Warming Scam
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Amazing Story Behind the Global Warming Scam  (Read 30242 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »

With all due respect to the Katrina victims, most of that was due to the levee's breaking and not necessarily the actual hurricane. Correct me If I am wrong, but the weak levee's caused a lot of the havoc on Louisiana.

So? The point is, do you think the people responsible had seen that scenario coming or do you think everybody was thinking "what are the odds that'll happen?".

That's the thing. People don't react until the worst case scenario happens.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »

We are already suffering from this CO2 silliness in many ways. Our energy policy has been strictly hobbled by no drilling and no new refineries for decades. We pay for the shortage this has created every time we buy gas. On top of that the whole thing about corn based ethanol costs us millions of tax dollars in subsidies. That also has driven up food prices. And, all of this is a long way from over.

What a pile of crap this is...oil prices rise and this guy expects the oil companies to flood the market with supply, lowering prices and profits?   rofl  There are plenty of places they're allowed to explore and drill.  If they have more oil, they'll sit on it until the ideal time to maximize profit. 

Sorry Drew...anthropogenic warming is real.  Yes, it sucks to have to deal with it during a recession...but it's the responsible thing to do.   peace

Some scientist say it does and some scientist say it doesn't. The earth's temperatures have continued to rise and fall over the past 4.5 billion years.

But, of course, I'm sure we can agree that regardless of the fact that scientists are on both sides, only one side can be correct.  In other words, just because there are people on both sides, so long as it is an issue of fact and not of opinion, that doesn't mean that both positions are equally correct.  If I come up with science to disprove gravity, it doesn't make it correct.  I realize, of course, that you can make the exact same argument back at me, but I raise this because the ultimate defense of the anti-warming crowd seems to be "hey, we have scientists too!"

I am one of those that see Global Warming as another scare tactic to control you

The other day, My professor at college was talking about how now, they have shown women are having  more heart attacks after child birth!

OH MY GOD, better not have babies, u will die!!!!!!!!!! bullshit scare tactic to control the population, those studies don't take into account that the heart attacks are probably from very old women who shouldn't have babies that late.

You want to see a scare tactic to control you?  Watch TV and count how many ads you see for medicines you don't need.  Seriously...where did all of these come from?  We're bombarded with messages letting us know we're about to fucking die.  Got a pain in your arm?  You may be having a heart attack, or you might have juvenile diabetes, or perhaps some bad psoriasis...BUT GET TO A DOCTOR AND ASK ABOUT OUR MEDICINE RIGHT NOW! 

Seriously, beyond that nutjob movie "Day After Tomorrow" I don't know anyone who thinks we're all about to die from global warming.  Personally, I think it will be a slow increase in the problem over the next couple of hundred years, much like the last couple of hundred years.  Increases in population will exacerbate the problem greatly, as will the expansion of fossil fuels use in countries like India and China. 

So, no, I don't think global warming will have any major impact on my life.  But if we feel in any way responsible for the lives of future generations (i.e. your children and grandchildren, for those incapable of sympathizing with anyone who isn't blood), then I think it important to begin to make the changes before the problem gets completely out of control.  And wouldn't that be nice for a change?  Can you imagine how nice it would have been if we had fixed those levies BEFORE they burst or repaired that bridge BEFORE it collapsed?  Being pro-active is behind many of the things I believe in, from global warming to universal healthcare.  A stitch in time, so to speak.

Scientist get PAID right? If u keep scaring people with global warming, u will get "MORE MONEY" to do research with.

If they come out tomorrow and say GW is bullshit, guess what? they stop getting paid.

No.

If someone had definitive proof that global warming was either non-existent or not caused by man, and that person had a scientifically rigorous methodology, then that person would be making an enormous discovery.  That person would make shitloads of money giving speeches.  That person would get grants and an endowed chair.  Hell, Drew would probably tape together the ashes of his Bush-era stimulus check just to donate to the guy's kids' scholarship fund. 

Certainly doing healthy things for our planet is a good thing, but we need to do a cost/benefit analysis before going forward with the extreme ideas.

What "extreme" ideas?  Driving cars that don't spew stinky gas into the air? 

Harvesting forms of energy that we don't have to burn?

I swear, some people would drink piss and dismiss water as "hype". 

Maybe we can effect the climate, maybe we can't. I am just saying, from what I have read, I just believe the earth goes in cycles. the last time we all argued this, I saw where the earth had warmed up something like .4 degrees *don't quote me on that* but it was something like that since 1928.

Global average temperatures aren't what matters, really.  Temperatures at the poles are the most important, for now, because that's where all the ice is (ice that will melt, raise ocean levels, drown or displace millions who live along coasts, etc.). 

I remember when I was a kid and the big scare was a paper cut that turned into a flesh eating disease

remember mad cow disease, sars?

So...we're the boy who cried wolf.  No surprise there. 

how did that Y2K workout for everybody?

My bank accounts are still frozen and I still don't have electricity!

I honestly don't know a single person who believed in Y2K. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 11:10:52 PM »

Nothing is as bad and nothing is as good as it seems.  Nature is much more powerful than man.  Man is harming the planet, but one tsunami or volcano can do in one day what man can't do without a nuclear bomb.

We need to clean the air.  We need to love our planet.  But Al Gore is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »

With all due respect to the Katrina victims, most of that was due to the levee's breaking and not necessarily the actual hurricane. Correct me If I am wrong, but the weak levee's caused a lot of the havoc on Louisiana.

So? The point is, do you think the people responsible had seen that scenario coming or do you think everybody was thinking "what are the odds that'll happen?".

That's the thing. People don't react until the worst case scenario happens.

/jarmo

New Orleans is a shit hole built below sea level.  We all know the dangers.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 11:35:01 PM »

also there were bigger hurricanes in the 70's right?

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand, I just don't think anyone can predict the future. Hell in 20 years maybe something is invented that totally reverses all the damage.

Im not saying Global Warming isn't necessarily important, maybe it is, I for one wish these politicians would really focus on REAL pressing matters like maybe, poverty, education, Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Aids

instead we are worried about the earth getting a degree hotter? Please

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »

also there were bigger hurricanes in the 70's right?

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand, I just don't think anyone can predict the future. Hell in 20 years maybe something is invented that totally reverses all the damage.

Im not saying Global Warming isn't necessarily important, maybe it is, I for one wish these politicians would really focus on REAL pressing matters like maybe, poverty, education, Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Aids

Maybe in 20 years we cure AIDS, but that doesn't mean you disregard AIDS prevention measures in the present, does it? 

Fortunately, work on Climate change has other benefits, such as cleaning up OBVIOUS environmental impacts we've had (smog n' stench) and disentangling us from a region of the world that's troublesome. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »

Hurricaines are not the sole barometer for global warming by the way.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »

So they deserved what was coming to them?

Yeah but how can you invent something when people like yourself is saying it's not a real threat?

And you know what effects that degree will have?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »

Sure they did.  It was punishment for homosexuality and a gay pride parade.  Duh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1133799/Cleric-said-Hurricane-Katrina-Gods-punishment-homosexuality-bishop-Vatican.html

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/23/hagee-katrina-mccain/

Yeah but how can you invent something when people like yourself is saying it's not a real threat?

/jarmo

I suppose global warming is a threat in the same sense as overexerting ourselves by blowing out candles?  I never thought of it as a threat, but someone invented the candle snuffer.   hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »

We all know the Earth has a molten core which is seriously hot.  By the laws of physics, as the atmosphere temperature rises, so does the temperature of the Earth itself.  This rise in temperature is replicated through to the middle of the Earth.  Each layer will get a little bit hotter.  Finally, the temperature of the molten core at the middle of the Earth will rise.  You've seen volcanos.  Now imagine what happens when the temperature at the centre of the Earth gets so great that the core begins to melt the layer around it.  Or worse, that the expansion due to the heat becomes so great that the outer layers begin to crack and the world becomes one huge volcano. 

Yes, this may take several hundreds of years to happen.  But the further along in the 'heating-up' process the Earth is, the harder it will be to moderate the temperature.  This is why people worry about GW now. 

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
radical tendency
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:44 PM »

We all know the Earth has a molten core which is seriously hot.  By the laws of physics, as the atmosphere temperature rises, so does the temperature of the Earth itself.  This rise in temperature is replicated through to the middle of the Earth.  Each layer will get a little bit hotter.  Finally, the temperature of the molten core at the middle of the Earth will rise.  You've seen volcanos.  Now imagine what happens when the temperature at the centre of the Earth gets so great that the core begins to melt the layer around it.  Or worse, that the expansion due to the heat becomes so great that the outer layers begin to crack and the world becomes one huge volcano. 

Yes, this may take several hundreds of years to happen.  But the further along in the 'heating-up' process the Earth is, the harder it will be to moderate the temperature.  This is why people worry about GW now. 

I'm assuming that is hyperbole, otherwise... whoa!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »

And you know what effects that degree will have?

/jarmo

all these years and i still don't know how to do the quote thing

anyway, I don't know but everyone else seems to think they do.

Who really knows what 1 degree will do to the earth

I will give u that one degree can be a significant in body temperature but I don't know if 1 degree will make the world a raging volcano.

radical tendency
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2009, 12:53:05 AM »

I will give u that one degree can be a significant in body temperature but I don't know if 1 degree will make the world a raging volcano.

There is a critical flaw in your thinking. Just because you can't understand what a 1? increase in temperature will do to the planet, you seem to assume that no one can. STOP IT-your embarrassing yourself!

Here is a link that might help explain the consequences... don't worry, there are lots of pretty pictures.
http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sect16/Sect16_2.html

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2009, 01:09:09 AM »

embarrassing myself cause I don't share your point of view?

U can show me whatever u want to show me, I don't believe the earth will be melted by the sun and it will snow at the equator and iceland will become Florida.

I don't believe it.

Like I said, the world will explode in less than 100 years more than likely due to nuclear warfare. so turn off the faucet while u brush your teeth, drive a hybrid, turn off the light when u get through using a room, only drive when necessary, use candle light when possible, don't use plastic

Global Warming people are starting to get a PETA like mentality and it is just going overboard.

Why?

Half the people that bitch and believe in this shit, are worse than the people they talk bad about.

If u aren't using solar power, electric cars, and all this other shit, frankly, i don't wanna hear it.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »

well I just saw "The day the Earth Stood Still" and Keanu Reeves gave Jennifer Connelly a stern talking to about how humans are destroying the earth...so i'm sold on global warming...I don't care what you right wing nuts say...
radical tendency
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »

embarrassing myself cause I don't share your point of view?

U can show me whatever u want to show me, I don't believe the earth will be melted by the sun and it will snow at the equator and iceland will become Florida.

I don't believe it.

Like I said, the world will explode in less than 100 years more than likely due to nuclear warfare. so turn off the faucet while u brush your teeth, drive a hybrid, turn off the light when u get through using a room, only drive when necessary, use candle light when possible, don't use plastic

Global Warming people are starting to get a PETA like mentality and it is just going overboard.

Why?

Half the people that bitch and believe in this shit, are worse than the people they talk bad about.

If u aren't using solar power, electric cars, and all this other shit, frankly, i don't wanna hear it.

Dude, first of all, it is not an opinion, it is scientific fact.

Secondly, a little tutorial on logic, because you ain't doin it right.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

Thirdly, I guess it is true- ignorance IS bliss.

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2009, 08:09:46 PM »

We are already suffering from this CO2 silliness in many ways. Our energy policy has been strictly hobbled by no drilling and no new refineries for decades. We pay for the shortage this has created every time we buy gas. On top of that the whole thing about corn based ethanol costs us millions of tax dollars in subsidies. That also has driven up food prices. And, all of this is a long way from over.

What a pile of crap this is...oil prices rise and this guy expects the oil companies to flood the market with supply, lowering prices and profits?   rofl  There are plenty of places they're allowed to explore and drill.  If they have more oil, they'll sit on it until the ideal time to maximize profit. 

You quoted the wrong person. That is not my post.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2009, 08:10:26 PM »

For the Reading impaired, I apologize for not having posts on tape.

I said that I concur Global Warming is real

I said, I don't think it is as doom and gloom as others do.

If u are gonna insult somebody, and I don't mind being insulted, but just please don't look like a naked fat guy humping a fire hydrant by misquoting what i say.

For every scientific fact, i can pull up something from the other side.

Secondly, if u aren't living in a tent in the woods, living off the land and u own a car and u are on a computer right?

So why are u talking shit to me?

Shouldn't u be out saving the environment or something?

Al Gore, what a laugh, dude is out saving the world in his private plane and WAS * I know he isn't now* but WAS using like 30 times more electricity than the average Tennessee resident.

build your bomb shelters and get your radioactive suit ready, cause we are gonna fry in 2100!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:18:15 PM by D » Logged

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:23 PM »

For every scientific fact, i can pull up something from the other side.

Only one side can be called "fact".  It is either man caused or not.  It either exists or it doesn't.  Just because there's "science" on both sides doesn't mean both side have objective, truthful "facts". 

Secondly, if u aren't living in a tent in the woods, living off the land and u own a car and u are on a computer right?

So why are u talking shit to me?

Shouldn't u be out saving the environment or something?

While I wholeheartedly support the idea of individuals doing it on their own, do you honestly believe that we can count on every individual to participate to do something, even if it's 100% proven and everyone knows it's good?  It's a collective action problem, as are most things that need changed, and if you rely solely on people to do it for themselves you'll have free-riders who want the benefits but not the costs.  And, of course, if there are enough free riders, then the problem won't go away.  The biggest problem facing global environmental issues will be convincing countries like India and China to avoid being free riders...if they ever consume fossil fuels at the rate the US does, we're all fucked (both environmentally and in the wallet). 

And why must you constantly exaggerate our position to make it seem outrageous?  People who believe in man caused global warming aren't survivalists who want everyone to live in the hollowed out trunk of a tree, using rotting vegetation for insulation whilst raiding the cities to throw green, eco-friendly paint on Humvee driving idiots.  The vast majority of us believe that a few lifestyle changes and a lot of technological changes can help to clean up what we've caused.

But that's just crazy talk.  It's not like man has ever fucked up anything, right?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Padmasana
Headliner

King of Beers

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »

I can see both sides of this. I find Al Gore a little difficult to take seriously, with the pitifully moronic Live Earth gigs as evidence of that... so some 'rock stars' sold a Hummer and turned off a lightswitch... big deal! Most of the music those clowns made was the real waste of electricity, but that's another rant altogether.

Whether or not you 'believe' in 'global warming' (or 'climate change' as it is more accurately referred to), I think it's pretty indisputable that humanity is having a catastrophic effect on the planet. Like the floating island of plastic in the Pacific Ocean, like the gender-bending chemicals in the water that are destroying ecosystems, like the coming extinction of bees, the fallout of which will threaten the core foodstuffs of humans and animals...

We got big problems. And the time to face up to them is now, quite honestly.

Funny how everything was Roses when we held onto the Guns...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: