Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:13:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227919 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Amazing Story Behind the Global Warming Scam
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Amazing Story Behind the Global Warming Scam  (Read 30436 times)
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »

Global warming is a load of crap. The earth's temperatures and climates have constantly changed, ever since it's formation. We've had Ice Ages and all that, and hell, even Antartica used to be a tropical climate. It's unfair to say, without huge, impending evidence, that humans are causing global warming.

However, that's not to say I'm not for ECO-friendly fuels; I'm all for it. Let's stop using unrenewable resources.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »

Global warming changing birds' habits
Study: Many North American species spending winters farther north

WASHINGTON - When it comes to global warming, the canary in the coal mine isn't a canary at all. It's a purple finch.

As the temperature across the U.S. has gotten warmer, the purple finch has been spending its winters more than 400 miles farther north than it used to.

And it's not alone.

An Audubon Society study released Tuesday found that more than half of 305 birds species in North America, a hodgepodge that includes robins, gulls, chickadees and owls, are spending the winter about 35 miles farther north than they did 40 years ago.

The purple finch was the biggest northward mover. Its wintering grounds are now more along the latitude of Milwaukee, Wis., instead of Springfield, Mo.

Bird ranges can expand and shift for many reasons, among them urban sprawl, deforestation and the supplemental diet provided by backyard feeders. But researchers say the only explanation for why so many birds over such a broad area are wintering in more northern locales is global warming.

Over the 40 years covered by the study, the average January temperature in the United States climbed by about 5 degrees Fahrenheit. That warming was most pronounced in northern states, which have already recorded an influx of more southern species and could see some northern species retreat into Canada as ranges shift.

"This is as close as science at this scale gets to proof," said Greg Butcher, the lead scientist on the study and the director of bird conservation at the Audubon Society. "It is not what each of these individual birds did. It is the wide diversity of birds that suggests it has something to do with temperature, rather than ecology."

Changing migration habits
The study provides compelling evidence for what many birders across the country have long recognized ? that many birds are responding to climate change by shifting farther north.

Previous studies of breeding birds in Great Britain and the eastern U.S. have detected similar trends. But the Audubon study covers a broader area and includes many more species.

The study of migration habits from 1966 through 2005 found about one-fourth of the species have moved farther south. But the number moving northward ? 177 species ? is twice that.

The study "shows a very, very large fraction of the wintering birds are shifting" northward, said Terry Root, a biologist at Stanford University. "We don't know for a fact that it is warming. But when one keeps finding the same thing over and over ... we know it is not just a figment of our imagination."

The research is based on data collected during the Audubon Society's Christmas Bird Count in early winter. At that time of year, temperature is the primary driver for where birds go and whether they live or die. To survive the cold, birds need to eat enough during the day to have the energy needed to shiver throughout the night.

Milder winters mean the birds don't need to expend as much energy shivering, and can get by eating less food in the day.

General biology aside, the research can't explain why particular species are moving. That's because changes in temperature affect different birds in different ways.

Some birds will expand their range farther north. For example, the Carolina wren ? the state bird of South Carolina ? has turned into a Yankee, based on Audubon's calculations. It is now commonly seen in the winter well into New England, as well as its namesake state of South Carolina.

"Twenty years ago, I remember people driving hours to see the one Carolina wren in the state," said Jeff Wells, an ornithologist based in southern Maine. "Now, every year I get two or three just in my area," he said. "Obviously, things have changed."

Climate change
Other species, such as the purple finch and boreal chickadee, spend their summers in the forests of Canada and fly south into the U.S. for the winter. Climate change could be playing a role in why they are not flying as far south as they used to, and are no longer as common as they were in states like Maine, Vermont and Wisconsin.

For other species, global warming may not be a major factor in the movements measured by Audubon at all. The wild turkey was second only to the purple finch in miles moved north ? about 400. But it's likely due to efforts by hunters and state wildlife managers to boost its population.

In other cases, the range shifts are prompting calls to cull some bird populations.

The sandhill crane, a large gray bird that migrates to the southern U.S. for the winter, has a range that expanded about 40 miles north in the last 40 years. This small movement has likely contributed to the bird's population explosion in Tennessee. The sandhill population has grown to a point that state wildlife officials are considering allowing the bird to be hunted.

"You are seeing it all across the state," said Richard Connors, president of the Tennessee Ornithological Society. "As it increases, there is going to be pressure to hunt it. The bird watchers of Tennessee don't want that."

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »

Al Gore forced those birds further north!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2009, 02:39:03 PM »

Al Gore forced those birds further north!

/jarmo

He may have threatened to eat them.  hihi

Either that or Tipper had them censored for being too colorful.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »

More scare tactics from the Environmental Nazi's!

UK environment czar looking at limiting holiday trips to save CO2

Monday February 9, 2009

The UK's so-called "environment czar" last week raised the possibility of rationing air travel, limiting UK citizens to just a few vacation trips abroad by air per year in order to reduce the impact of carbon dioxide emissions.

Adair Turner, chairman of the independent Committee on Climate Change that advises UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown, made the proposal before Parliament's Environmental Audit Select Committee on Feb. 5. In remarks widely reported by UK media, Turner said, "We will have to constrain demand in an absolute sense with people not allowed to make as many journeys as they could in an unconstrained manner."

The proposal was strongly condemned by FlyingMatters, a UK-based coalition of airlines, airports, aerospace manufacturers and other aviation- and tourism-related groups. "One always suspects with these half-baked proposals that the people who put them forward really intend them to apply to ordinary people, many of whom have only recently gained access to air travel, rather than to themselves," the organization said in a statement.

Source: http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=15528

From The Sunday Times
February 1, 2009
Two children should be limit, says green guru

Sarah-Kate Templeton, Health Editor

Novelist Jenny Colgan: Go on, guess how many children Jonathan Porritt has

COUPLES who have more than two children are being ?irresponsible? by creating an unbearable burden on the environment, the government?s green adviser has warned.

Jonathon Porritt, who chairs the government?s Sustainable Development Commission, says curbing population growth through contraception and abortion must be at the heart of policies to fight global warming. He says political leaders and green campaigners should stop dodging the issue of environmental harm caused by an expanding population.

?I am unapologetic about asking people to connect up their own responsibility for their total environmental footprint and how they decide to procreate and how many children they think are appropriate,? Porritt said.

?I think we will work our way towards a position that says that having more than two children is irresponsible. It is the ghost at the table. We have all these big issues that everybody is looking at and then you don?t really hear anyone say the ?p? word.?

The Optimum Population Trust, a campaign group of which Porritt is a patron, says each baby born in Britain will, during his or her lifetime, burn carbon roughly equivalent to 2? acres of old-growth oak woodland - an area the size of Trafalgar Square.

The British population, now 61m, will pass 70m by 2028, the Office for National Statistics says. The fertility rate for women born outside Britain is estimated to be 2.5, compared with 1.7 for those born here. The global population of 6.7 billion is expected to rise to 9.2 billion by 2050.

Porritt, who has two children, intends to persuade environmental pressure groups to make population a focus of campaigning.

?Many organisations think it is not part of their business. My mission with the Friends of the Earth and the Greenpeaces of this world is to say: ?You are betraying the interests of your members by refusing to address population issues and you are doing it for the wrong reasons because you think it is too controversial,? he said.

Porritt, a former chairman of the Green party, says the government must improve family planning, even if it means shifting money from curing illness to increasing contraception and abortion.

He said: ?We still have one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancies in Europe and we still have relatively high levels of pregnancies going to birth, often among women who are not convinced they want to become mothers.

Source: http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article5627634.ece
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:40:57 PM by Drew » Logged

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »

^A few thoughts.

#1: I oppose the measures in both of those pieces.

#2: Funny that conservatives moan about crack babies on welfare for years, but when some nutty green brings it up they're "Natzis".

#3: Don't get me started on scare tactics.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »

What comes around, goes around. Environmentalist work overtime on their tactics.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »

What comes around, goes around. Environmentalist work overtime on their tactics.

Umm...neither of the pieces are scare tactics.  One is about limiting travel.  The other is someone complaining because the green movement DOESN'T pursue a child-limiting policy.     

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »

Umm...neither of the pieces are scare tactics.  One is about limiting travel.  The other is someone complaining because the green movement DOESN'T pursue a child-limiting policy.     

Both of them are scare tactics of "global warming." Why else would Adair Turner want to start rationing air travel and why else would Jonathon Porritt want to limit families to only two children? It's all in the name to stop "global warming" and curbing this ideology of a carbon footprint.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »

I heard squirrels are becoming addicted to nicotine because people smoke too much. Some squirrels have been spotted on street corners trading large amounts of nuts for cigarettes. It's a strange and alarming epidemic, an inconvenient truth if you will.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »

I heard squirrels are becoming addicted to nicotine because people smoke too much. Some squirrels have been spotted on street corners trading large amounts of nuts for cigarettes. It's a strange and alarming epidemic, an inconvenient truth if you will.

Don't know anything about that, but have you seen those vids where monkeys near touristy beaches snag peoples' adult beverages?  beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmrWT6iNC0

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2009, 11:57:33 PM »

Both of them are scare tactics of "global warming."

Not really.

A scare tactic would be telling you that your house will be under water in a year if you don't stop flying right now!

You're saying it's a scam because there are people who think extreme measures need to be taken to solve the problem.

So what exactly is a scam about global warming? It's not happening? Mankind has had no effect on the environment of the planet?

It seems like you've missed all the good things these "scam artists" have actually done.

The ozone layer is in better shape today thanks to them.

The damages done by acid rain have gone back due to less use of coal power etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »

Not too long ago, Doctors appeared in ads telling us how good smoking was for us.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2009, 12:14:24 AM »

Didn't people also used to believe that the earth was flat...Huh

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2009, 12:56:02 AM »

Still do, mon frere Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth_society

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:26 AM »

Still do, mon frere Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth_society

Holy SHit!!!!

Never drink anything those people may be handing out.

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2009, 02:20:29 AM »

Are they all registered Republicans by chance?

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2009, 02:41:49 AM »

If 7 mechanics tell you to replace your braking system in your car at a $2000 cost because your brakes are likely to fail and kill yourself and your friends......and then 3 mechanics say ' nah thats rubbish they are tip top'.

What would you do??

The wise person would fix the brakes and think better safe than sorry.

Surely?? Especially if doing so made the car run more efficiently (Dont ask me how, it's a flawed metaphor Smiley
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »

Not really.

/jarmo

We'll just disagree because a scare tactic is exactly what I think it is. Putting more fear into people's minds so billions and billions of more dollars can be summoned from the government. It's working quite well in the U.S. sadly.

Yes, I think it's a scam and not to the level that 'the world is going to end' these people are screaming at and making it out to be.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »

Not really.

/jarmo

We'll just disagree because a scare tactic is exactly what I think it is. Putting more fear into people's minds so billions and billions of more dollars can be summoned from the government. It's working quite well in the U.S. sadly.

Yes, I think it's a scam and not to the level that 'the world is going to end' these people are screaming at and making it out to be.

Despite thinking that global warming is a scam, do you see no other benefits to reducing our consumption of fossil fuels, from either a security/foreign entanglements or "my air doesn't stink" perspective?  Because I think you can fail to believe in global warming and still see that there are benefits to moving away from unrenewable fuels that are going to continually increase in price (and, eventually, cripple any economy).  Working on harvesting renewable resources in the US for US consumption would create jobs, would take the money we spend on oil and keep it here, and would insulate our economy from the problems that come from being chained to a certain fuel that is limited in supply and controlled by a cartel.  Even if you think global warming is a scam, I can't imagine how you look at those options and say they're not better than the way it is now.

We have immense deserts and, having lived in Illinois for a few years, I can personally attest to what I'll quantify as a shit-ton of wind.  Both can be harnessed to great benefit.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: