Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227843 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  bridge set up, are your strings cloes to the fret borad.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bridge set up, are your strings cloes to the fret borad.  (Read 3583 times)
sl@sh
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« on: June 05, 2004, 05:06:11 AM »

ok so i got new pickups and got my guitar all fixed and now  im having a real hard time bending my strings.
i use earny ball power slinky 11 to 48.
i used these strings a month ago and got use to it but now i cant bend, if i do i just hit my top strings and they just go under my bending finger . no  it has to be the bridge. my strings use to be higher but now they are very close to the fret bord and i cant bend with out draging the next string along. the person that fixed my guitar said its better this way.
what should i do , should i try and fix the bridge and if so how may i do that(with out messing everything up)
how,s your bridge set up are your strings close or away from the fret bord. i like to play fast alot of zeppelin and gnr , acdc ets. any help will be nice peace
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 02:43:16 PM »

1st: What guitar do you got?
2nd: It?s probably the bridge.Do you tune your guitar half step lower??Because I use 0.11 cause I have my guitar tune like that (half step lower).But you must  have some strong fingers to bend a 0.11 tuned EADGBE Shocked
3rd:If you don?t know how to fix it DO NO DO IT!!!
Find a diferen?t guy who knows how to fix it.

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 08:11:20 PM »

What exaclty are you talking about?  Theres no way you can bend a string up a tone or even a semitone without touching the other strings.

If your having trouble actually physically bending the strings far enough to reach the right tone then get some 9's instead of 11's.

If you want to play fast, then you should have your strings as close to the frets as possible (i.e. with minimal fret buzz).  But I mean, Page's solo's are sloppy, and Young's too, and only a few of Slash's are really fast...and still nothing one people like Gilbert and Satch.

I'm not sure what your problem is but if you reall don't like the strings low then you could always raise them, but then you'd have to re-intonate the guitar and stuff.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
sl@sh
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 05:59:35 AM »

i play a les paul peace
i had 11 on before and i could bend like mad(yes i tune half step down)

but since i got new pickups (i think the guy messed with the bridge) its jut not the same.
so i took my guitar to guitar center and they have a guitar tech there. well i got it fixed for 40$$
but the strings are too close to the fret bord.(i use to have they very high) so now when i bend they other strings just come in the way. before they would just  go over my finger allowing me to bend the string i want (ex if i bend the e string b string would go over the e string and my fingers but now when i bend it just goes under with the e string that i bend, so im bending two strings.
but ive got a bit better at this setting. but still miss my old setting.
so what you think is the best way to set a guitar for tone etc, should i keep them low or should i rais the bridge.

and do i realy need 11 to get a  great sound what do you all think>
what kind of strings did page use i know slash uses 11.
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 08:21:13 AM »

i play a les paul peace
i had 11 on before and i could bend like mad(yes i tune half step down)

but since i got new pickups (i think the guy messed with the bridge) its jut not the same.
so i took my guitar to guitar center and they have a guitar tech there. well i got it fixed for 40$$
but the strings are too close to the fret bord.(i use to have they very high) so now when i bend they other strings just come in the way. before they would just  go over my finger allowing me to bend the string i want (ex if i bend the e string b string would go over the e string and my fingers but now when i bend it just goes under with the e string that i bend, so im bending two strings.
but ive got a bit better at this setting. but still miss my old setting.
so what you think is the best way to set a guitar for tone etc, should i keep them low or should i rais the bridge.

i can understand your problem (i think) but why does it matter? When you bend strings you're always gonna be moving other strings out of the way and thus bending them. I could care less if strings get in the way etc, as long as they stay quiet when i bend. I think i may be misunderstanding you though. Also the part of the finger you use can determine whether the string above it will go under or over ur finger too. if you use the skin close to your nail, the above strings will hit you nail and won't go under your finger. However if you use the normal part of your finger for playing the strings will go under. Ofcourse it could be different for different people.

I have my action pretty low but just high enough to avoid any fret buzz. I use 10's on standard tuning, it's what i started with and what i'll stay with.

If its causing this much annoyance just get it raised back up.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 07:50:20 PM »

Well, page started out with banjo strings which are around for his top e (I think he used an Cool until EB slinky's came out and he started using super slinkies.  But all the tones from the first two (at least...might be more...can't remember) albums were done using 8's from banjo sets.

I don't think you neccessarily need 11's to get a good sound.  I bet if you did a blindfold test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 9's and 11's minues the G string.
The biggest change to your tone that will come from changing any of your strings will come from putting a wound g string on.  Then you will realise how bad a plain g sounds...and why 11's sound better.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: