Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Matt in Modern Drummer mag (july)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt in Modern Drummer mag (july)  (Read 2588 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: June 07, 2004, 11:30:04 PM »

MODERN DRUMMER (mag) JULY 2004 Issue

VELVET REVOLVER?S
Matt Sorum
Welcome To The Rumble

Photo credit:  Alex Solca

?I wanted to get back that spirit we used to have when we were doing G N? R stuff.?  That?s drummer Matt Sorum talking about the session for his latest project, a three-fifths Guns N? Roses reunion f sorts, dubbed Velvet Revolver.  The act features Sorum along with G N? R guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan, ex-Wasted Youth guitarist Dav Kushner, and Stone Temple Pilots vocalist Scott Weiland.  ?On the records I played with G N? R,? Matt says, ?most of those sessions were cut live, no click, just going in there and rockin?.?

Sorum nailed the Velvet Revolver session in just shy of a week?s time.  While most of the debut album sports the signature Sorum sonics and performance we?ve come to expect from him ? large room sounds with long decays and full-bodied snares coupled with unwavering, straightforward slammin? rock beats ? there are a couple of detours from the otherwise massive rock production.  ?Loving The Alien,? for example, finds Sorum reaching back in time for a retro touch.

?I ran into Eddie Kramer (legendary Jimi Hendrix/Led Zeppelin engineer) in the hallway at NRG studios, and I asked him to mike up my kit old-school style,? Sorum explains.  ?I used a vintage Ludwig kit and had Eddie mike it with three mic?s t get a trippy, Ringo Starr kind of vibe.?

On ?Big Machine,? Sorum tracked using a click track (which otherwise was used sparingly throughout the session) and a couple of different kits.  ?I re-cut the intro drums and breakdown drums with a different drumkit,? Matt explains.  ?In the break-down, I went down to more of a padded, muted, lower snare drum with a 20? kick.  But when the chorus kicked back in, I busted in with the big kit.?

Sorum?s typical ?big kit? on the Velvet Revolver session consisted of an 18x24 kick teamed with 13?, 16?, and 18? toms.  The snare arsenal included a Ludwig Black Beauty, a Tama Bell Brass, and an old Noble & Cooley/Zildjian metal snare.

?I wanted this really aggro, almost ugly sound, so I tuned that drum up high,? Sorum notes.  ?I used it on a track called ?Dirty Little Thing,? and it gave the track a lot of angst and attitude.  I find that snare drums give tracks such character, so I get into picking the right drum for the tune.?

Of course, retention of the original G N? R spirit came via his insistence that the drums were cut straight to 2? tape.  ?Not a lot of editing was involved,? he notes.  ?It was pretty much like, ?That?s the track, let?s use it!? What you hear is what you get.?
Waleed Rashidi

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 02:06:23 PM »

Thanks gypsy Smiley
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 06:40:03 PM »

Awsome Gypsy, thanx!!! ok

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 11:13:50 AM »

Thanx Gyspy

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: