Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227843 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  The Pain That Instruments Causes Thread!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pain That Instruments Causes Thread!  (Read 6041 times)
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« on: January 05, 2004, 05:56:53 PM »

im sitting here, with a weird pain in my index en "fucking" finger and alittle in the otherfinger wich isnt the thumb or pinky.... ring finger? anyway, its due to bending a lot on thin string on my guitar....

i still try to play, but today i nearmy made myselfe cry, so im taking a break until wednsday til i play more guitar...   crying

anyway, do you have any cool or just plain weird injuries/incident's with intrument? tell me about it?

anyone played guitar 'til they bleed? is that  possible?

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
loretian
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 06:03:55 PM »

I actually got quite addicted to feeling the "pain" in my guitar fingers... it's fucked up, but something about your fingers being in agonizing pain while an A chord wails out of your amp is heaven.

I've played until I bled before - though it was first because I got a blood blister from playing too much, and then because I started playing again an hour later and didn't realize I had the blister, so it broke open all over my strings.
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 06:22:21 PM »

Once I've played LOTS and my ring finger bleed.

Now my fingers skin is more hard, I can play all the time I want  peace

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 06:40:35 PM »

I actually got quite addicted to feeling the "pain" in my guitar fingers... it's fucked up, but something about your fingers being in agonizing pain while an A chord wails out of your amp is heaven.

I've played until I bled before - though it was first because I got a blood blister from playing too much, and then because I started playing again an hour later and didn't realize I had the blister, so it broke open all over my strings.

i know... my guitar is staring at me now! wanting me to pick it up and play! but i have some self control.... im sure ill play guitar tommorow anyway....  ok

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 04:17:37 PM »

When I first started learning how to bend my first three fingers were ridiculously painful.  i've never been much of a bleeder though.... and i've never bled over guitar
darkmonth
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 07:55:53 PM »

unlike you girls, i never hurt myself on my guitar and i have played for many years! hehe

however, when i first started playing, i was jamming with a guy at University and he ran his finger up the fretboard and the string literally but right into his middle finger... slice!  Blood!  I was laughing my head off...!

hehe
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 09:46:07 PM »

firstly, if you feel pain you should stop.
secondly, what gauge strings are you using, cos if you're a beginner you should start out with light strings
and thirdly, how low have you got you're guitar? because you really don't wanna be getting carpal tunnel or RSI

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 10:26:07 AM »

ive poked myself in the eye with my excess guitar strings hangin out of the tuners cause im a lazy fuck sometimes and dont cut it off lol rofl rofl

never really hurt myself playin guitar but its sometimes painful tryin to slap that fuckin bass, especially at first

i almost killed one of my friends who use to sit in and play bass for me at gigs

i have this song called "walking dead" and i have like a hugely insane 2 minute guitar solo and id pull out a slide cause id make really fucked up noises with it durin certain parts of the solo

i always wear a bandanna so i did the blind guitar playin trick which is somewhat chessy but gets a good response especially to the people who have never seen someone play guitar without lookin

so id get into it and drop the bandanna over my eyes and drop down to the ground and start wailing mysolo at the end id pull the slide out and i got so fired up i fuckin threw a 90 mile per hour fastball with the slide that almost decapitated my bass player

he was so into themusic and what i just played he didnt even give a shit

it was like an outer fuckin body experience

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 10:58:53 AM »

secondly, what gauge strings are you using, cos if you're a beginner you should start out with light strings
and thirdly, how low have you got you're guitar? because you really don't wanna be getting carpal tunnel or RSI

huh? p? norsk? or, in english? or atleast in very primitive english? i have played for a tad over 2years now... and i use power slinky(011-48)! dont find them hard to bend (unless my fingers are in deadly agony  hihi )

i also break a fuckload of strings, so now  i have ordered some "stronger" strings from e-ball....  ok

and D: hehehe... thats awesome!! would like to see one of your shows!!
i dont cut my strings at the tuners, but i never poke myself in the eye, do you wear the guitar "strokes style"?  hihi

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »

no i didnt poke my self in the eye at a gig

i was sittin on my bed playin and i like dropped my pick and bent over to pick it up and BONGGGGGG right in the fuckin eye! rofl rofl

i use power slinky's also 11-48 kick ass! rofl

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 05:24:18 PM »

no i didnt poke my self in the eye at a gig

i was sittin on my bed playin and i like dropped my pick and bent over to pick it up and BONGGGGGG right in the fuckin eye! rofl rofl

i use power slinky's also 11-48 kick ass! rofl

hehehe.... still :p  hihi

i had a big fight with my string dealer.... i was sure that my A string was a38! but he kept on tellin me it was way to thin for a A string! now, i dont study the string girth (right use of the word?) , so i though he would know since he worked at the store... he sold me an 36! thats almost the zise of the thickest string! boy was his face red when i showed him the gauge from the "box" of the slinky's!  hihi (so much easier to explain in norwegian!!)  peace

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 06:51:39 PM »

huh? p? norsk? or, in english? or atleast in very primitive english? i have played for a tad over 2years now... and i use power slinky(011-48)! dont find them hard to bend (unless my fingers are in deadly agony  hihi )
Yeah, if you're fingers, or hand or wrist is hurting, you should stop, because you really don't want carpal tunnel

i also break a fuckload of strings, so now  i have ordered some "stronger" strings from e-ball....  ok
that's more likely down to bad technique (ie, overly heavy handed picking) or you're bridge saddles are sharp or something.  It's unlikely that the strings are too thin.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 07:12:54 PM »

Yeah, if you're fingers, or hand or wrist is hurting, you should stop, because you really don't want carpal tunnel

that's more likely down to bad technique (ie, overly heavy handed picking) or you're bridge saddles are sharp or something.  It's unlikely that the strings are too thin.

cool, once i started playing bass a fuckloads of year ago, i remeber that my wrist was hurting :p  not now anymore though... i think i demolished them...

i think its the saddle... cuz its always the same string! oce i bought a new string, the next day it fucking brake again! but it didnt happend again in 2weeks or so.. so i dunno... what do i do to the saddle if it too sharp? just use a file or something?  peace

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 07:42:43 PM »

You could get new saddles although, they might be hard to find in Norway.

A file might work, but you gotta be careful not to file away too much of the saddle, because the string would be lower than all the other.

Depending on what type of bridge it is, it might be quite easy to just file.  Is it a tuna-matic like on a Les Paul? or is it a Srat type?

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 07:53:09 PM »

i got a les paul :p
ill try to file it down a notch tommorow :p ok

starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2004, 07:19:42 AM »

what is carpal tunnel and RSI?
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2004, 06:01:07 PM »

RSI, stands for Repetitive Strain Injury, and is exactly what is sounds like.  It's where you repeatedly strain yourself, and cause damage, like loss of control of you muscles, or shakes and things like that.  People get it from using pneumatic drills too much.
Carpal tunnel is something to do with the nerves that lead to your wrist.  I'm not 100% sure but it's something like, if you strain your wrist, and bend it in awkward ways, the nerves can get trapped or inflamed or something, but it basically fucks up your wrist for life.  Google knows a lot more than me though.

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 12:19:42 PM »

RSI, stands for Repetitive Strain Injury, and is exactly what is sounds like.  It's where you repeatedly strain yourself, and cause damage, like loss of control of you muscles, or shakes and things like that.  People get it from using pneumatic drills too much.
Carpal tunnel is something to do with the nerves that lead to your wrist.  I'm not 100% sure but it's something like, if you strain your wrist, and bend it in awkward ways, the nerves can get trapped or inflamed or something, but it basically fucks up your wrist for life.  Google knows a lot more than me though.

is that the same shit you can get by operating a PC mouse too? my computer teacher told me some stories that he( well, the doctors) had to slit his wrist (not the veins, but some nerves or something) so that his hand could work again.... i suck at telling it in english since i dont know half of the words i wanna say.... :p

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 01:54:01 PM »

is that the same shit you can get by operating a PC mouse too? my computer teacher told me some stories that he( well, the doctors) had to slit his wrist (not the veins, but some nerves or something) so that his hand could work again.... i suck at telling it in english since i dont know half of the words i wanna say.... :p
It could be yeah.  Some people are more susceptable to it than others. So yeah, you could get it from using a mouse too much, or a keyboard.

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 01:49:09 AM »

so you get rsi and carpel tunnel from having guitar too low?

but what about all the guitarists that have their guitar low, like Slash. If i had my guitar as low as him my wrist would get sore in a second, especially playing barre chords.......how joey ramone plays barre chords continuously on such a low low guitar without fucking his wrist is beyond me.

I sometimes get pain in my wrist....and now i'm worried....and i don't even have my guitar low at all.

I just played for 2 hours just then and i was finishing up with my "going nuts" song i made up, getting into a super fast hammer on pull off looped lick i just felt my fingers gettin slower and slower (ironically i was trying to play faster and faster)........and eventually i could hardly move my pinky nervous It just wouldn't move fast enough. It's like it had gone limp or something. So i stopped and now i'm here.

I have really thin wrists.....so they must be weak or something........im gonna take a break for a couple of hours then get back to it.

You bastards with your powerful wrists should feel lucky, can play with your guitar as low as you want and not have any problems......damn you joey ramone!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: