Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Cornell on '92 GNR/Axl  (Read 39440 times)
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2005, 03:12:27 AM »

it's like someone would be a better guitarist because he can play faster. Really interesting, but it's more important what you play and how to play it (I mean the right feel).

I agree with this part, but we weren't debating whether either one is a better singer for having a better range. It's whether or not they have a better one in general.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 03:14:12 AM by alicemudgarden » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2005, 11:25:21 AM »

Dave, I guess you still haven't listened to those Soundgarden songs I mentioned. You should listen to them instead of having a closed mind.

I have heard them, I dont knwo what? you are talking about.
Having a more powerful voice or a higher voice is a different thing. You dont think Axl can singer higher because Cornells voice is thicker but Axl can still go much than Chris.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2005, 11:36:42 AM »

I'm grateful for those who have responded thus far regarding Cornell's credibility as a high octave vocalist. He is definitely in the same (or similar) league as Rose, and there were often times when Cornell even had a rasp. I'm going to have to agree with Jarmo, however, about SG's mainstream success not quite reaching its peak until '94. Soundgarden was THE band of 1994, there's no debating that!!!

No one is saying Chris cant sing high, he just cant singer higher than Axl.

absolute rubbish Dave

Sorry if the truth hurts.

hey Im as big a fan of Axl as I am of Chris, but to suggest Axl can sing higher is
a)unfounded
and
b) inconsequential as Cornell has more power in his upper range now (today not in the past) than Axl

Listen to Jesus Christ Pose off Badmotorfinger Dave, and give me an example where Axl has sung as high, as strong and for as long

You think Cornells voice is better now than it was before? Are you crazy, did? you even hear him at live 8? He sounded like ass.

And you keep mention this song JCP axl sings much higher than that on Riyadh and that is Axl singing live or listen to Axl doing that scream on IRS, its much more clean and just as high if not higher.? IMO Cornel sounds like crap on that song. When Cornel tries to go high he sounds bad where as axl can do it more naturaly. When Chris tries going really high it just sounds bad.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:56:12 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2005, 12:31:52 PM »

This is by no means my opinion, but I think if you took a poll of Axl and Cornell's peers asking who the better singer was, a panel consisting of singers such as Vedder, DeLa Rocha, Manson (Shirley and Marilyn), Astbury, Love, Farrell, Reznor, Grohl, Weiland etc.

A good bet would say Cornell would be the guy named higher on more ballots.? Not a better lyricist, not a better front man, not a better rock star, but a better singer with a more appealing voice.

This is hardly based in fact, I've just seen/heard Cornell mentioned by tons of musicians
over the years as their favorite vocalist...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2005, 12:47:36 PM »

Again I am not saying that Axls voice is stronger which is what a lot of you are confusing. But Axl can sing higher.? Even Axl said that Cornels voice burys him, like? I said I am not saying Axls for is more powerful, its just higher.? But listening to how high each of them can go, Axl can clearly go higher at least from what I have heard.? ?Axls voice was always thin while Cornels was always more thick.? Just listen to rock n rio III and listen how much higher axls voice is. He was singing all the old songs much higher than he used to.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 12:50:06 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2005, 11:40:55 PM »

You think Cornells voice is better now than it was before? Are you crazy, did? you even hear him at live 8? He sounded like ass.

no Dave, that particular point was that present day Cornell can sing higher and stronger than present day Axl

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2005, 01:12:34 AM »

no Dave, that particular point was that present day Cornell can sing higher and stronger than present day Axl

The current Cornells voice is more powerful but he CANNOT singer higher than Axls current voice.

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2005, 01:25:31 AM »

The current Cornells voice is more powerful but he CANNOT singer higher than Axls current voice.

If that is in fact the case (which i happen to think it isn't) it is still not a good thing

Hitting the high notes is all good and well, but if there's no power behind it that is generally not considered good singing

This was not about who is more charasmatic, who has more character, who is the better frontman, lyricist, rockstar or performer in genral - all of these credits go to Axl IMO.
I still contest however, that from a technical standpoint, Cornell has it over Axl

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2005, 01:33:44 AM »

Are we talking about live or in the studio? Because in the studio not many can touch Axl.

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2005, 02:12:54 AM »

Are we talking about live or in the studio? Because in the studio not many can touch Axl.

shouldn't matter, although it's undeniable that singers generally sound better in the studio especially with todays technology

and youre right, not many can touch Axl in the studio, but I believe Cornell is one of them

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2005, 03:51:53 AM »

yes cornell has range, but does it sound as cool as axls ? no. He has a boring voice if you ask me.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
RichardNixon
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2005, 04:33:21 AM »

Cornell is not the singer he once was. His voice sounds really strained when he reaches those high notes on the new Audioslave album. Still a good singer though.
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2005, 07:44:53 AM »

In my opinion, both of their voices are disappointing this days. If you want to talk about opinions, I can't stand how clean Axl's is (again?) and I can't stand how desperate Chris' sound. But back in the day, both were equally game.
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2005, 12:09:30 PM »

You people get bent out of shape about the stupidest shit.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2005, 04:51:49 PM »

Mariah Carey can sing higher than Axl and so can that fag from the Darkness but they both suck.  So what does singing high have to do with anything?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2005, 04:57:21 PM »

? So what does singing high have to do with anything?

I was wondering the same thing..

I'm all about a good Axl screech but I'll be damned if I want him going falsetto on us..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2005, 06:56:30 PM »

Who is Chris Cornell?

Exactly!  hihi

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: