Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR Filler songs
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Filler songs  (Read 28002 times)
Longpig
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2006, 06:32:21 AM »

I think people need to sit back and think about what a "filler" song actually means....

In my head this is a song that pads out an album so that it has "enough" songs... now think about that and think about how many songs are on the UYI discs.... 14 and 16.... doesn't really need any "fillers" because 2 albums of 10 songs each is enough really.

That being said, I think they should have done that, and released the songs not good enough for the album as B-sides.  I wouldn't want the weaker songs to never have been released, but the albums would be much better if they were just kept as b-sides.

My nominations would be....

From UYI I

Right Next Door to Hell
Dust N Bones
Don't Cry (only prefer the alt lyrics and there's no need for the same song on 2 albums)
Back off bitch
Garden Of Eden
Bad Apples

From UYI II

Get In The Ring
Shotgun Blues
So Fine
My World

There were plenty of singles released for these songs to be included on.

LP
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2006, 06:40:28 AM »

what is with all the "dont damn me" hating.

Its one of gnr's finest.

html sucks
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2006, 06:44:32 AM »

I agree: what the fuck is a filler song??

I don't believe good (!!) musicians (like GN'R!) make "filler songs", they just write and play songs because they like it.

Is it a less good song? This is also very personal, so, no I don't believe GN'R has "filler songs" what so ever.

In fact, the songs which are selected as B-sided do not need to be necesserally "bad" / "less good" songs! I stuck to it, it all a matter of personal taste.

Filler songs just don't exist.

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2006, 07:00:17 AM »

filler songs are just that, songs that are not up there with the best (rest of the album). Not many (if any) albums have 100% AAA songs. AFD is pretty dame close. Anything Goes is the weakest song on AFD and could be called a filler song (although it is still a good track).

Sadly the UYI albums feature far more filler songs than AFD.
The Spaghetti Incident being a covers album and Live-Era being a live album don't really suffer as much.
Lies's gets off lightly too, as there's simply 4 live tracks and 4 studio tracks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:57:51 AM by codenameninja » Logged
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2006, 07:11:28 AM »

OMG almost every poster mentioned Bad Apples as a filler. Easily one of my favourite songs off the UYIs. I guess I was right when I named BA in the 'Most underrated GN'R song' thread. Even fans fail to see its strength.  no

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Longpig
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2006, 07:18:08 AM »

OMG almost every poster mentioned Bad Apples as a filler. Easily one of my favourite songs off the UYIs. I guess I was right when I named BA in the 'Most underrated GN'R song' thread. Even fans fail to see its strength.? no

Or most fans share a different opinion of it?  Just because you don't like something (as much) doesn't mean you "fail to see" anything.  Bad Apples is "ok" at best.

LP
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2006, 07:41:54 AM »

OMG almost every poster mentioned Bad Apples as a filler. Easily one of my favourite songs off the UYIs. I guess I was right when I named BA in the 'Most underrated GN'R song' thread. Even fans fail to see its strength.  no

i quite enjoy bad apples alot also. its got a groove to it.

html sucks
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2006, 07:55:10 AM »

OMG almost every poster mentioned Bad Apples as a filler. Easily one of my favourite songs off the UYIs. I guess I was right when I named BA in the 'Most underrated GN'R song' thread. Even fans fail to see its strength.? no

I guess i'm no fan of bad apples. My CD has an internal hole/error on the bad apples track and i have no desire to rush out and buy a new disc. I thought compact discs were supposed to last a life time? Smiley

(back on topic) i'd class Right Next Door to Hell as a filler. The song is half'assed. The lyrics are bollock's.. some of the guitar work is good.
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2006, 07:57:06 AM »

filler songs are just that, songs that are not up there with the best (rest of the album).

That's what I mean: what is the best!? It is al a personal taste.... so it just doesn't exist.

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2006, 08:00:03 AM »

filler songs are just that, songs that are not up there with the best (rest of the album).

That's what I mean: what is the best!? It is al a personal taste.... so it just doesn't exist.

with CD i get the impression that Gn'R are attempting to make an album filled with AAA tracks, even if it means only having 10 tracks on the album. Put Silkworms on CD and it would be viewed as a filler track.
ScottishGunner
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2006, 08:01:51 AM »

Only MY World is true filler

everything else has it's place, some songs not so hot, but all have thier place, for better or worse

i think there;s a lot of shit being thrown at Silkworms & Rhiad - both songs have the raw, basic ingrediants and could well be cracking songs, lets here finidhed studio versions before passing judgements
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2006, 09:05:48 AM »

From what I've read so far, it looks like everyones idea of "filler" is a song they wouldn't want to hear. So going by that, here's my list of tunes that would/have  send/sent me for a beer:

AFD
Think About You
Out Ta Get Me
Anything Goes

GN'R Lies
Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Move To The City

UYI
Garden Of Eden
Shotgun Blues
So Fine
My World

"TSI?"
New Rose
Human Being
Raw Power
Attitude
Black Leather
You're Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory
I Don't Care About You
Look At Your Game, Girl

Chinese Democracy (Songs heard so far)
Silkworms

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2006, 09:34:16 AM »

what is with all the "dont damn me" hating.

Its one of gnr's finest.

right on!! ok

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »

I guess i'm no fan of bad apples. My CD has an internal hole/error on the bad apples track and i have no desire to rush out and buy a new disc. I thought compact discs were supposed to last a life time  Smiley

(back on topic) i'd class Right Next Door to Hell as a filler. The song is half'assed. The lyrics are bollock's.. some of the guitar work is good.

not like i disrespect your opinion, but i LOVE RNDTH! its so damn well done! from the bass intro to the drums going steady troughout the whole song and the guitars! yeah, the only think i got to say on it is the solo.... but its one hell of a song! full paced from start to end! nuthin' like it! agressive lyrics and singing!

songs i  have lost intrest for are Knocking on Heavens Door, wich i think is boring....

peace

and i love Bad Apples to! great song!

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2006, 12:44:06 PM »

I guess i'm no fan of bad apples. My CD has an internal hole/error on the bad apples track and i have no desire to rush out and buy a new disc. I thought compact discs were supposed to last a life time? Smiley

not like i disrespect your opinion, but i LOVE RNDTH! its so damn well done! from the bass intro to the drums going steady troughout the whole song and the guitars! yeah, the only think i got to say on it is the solo.... but its one hell of a song! full paced from start to end! nuthin' like it! agressive lyrics and singing!

songs i? have lost intrest for are Knocking on Heavens Door, wich i think is boring....

peace

and i love Bad Apples to! great song!

when i hear RNDTH it's like the lights are on and no ones home.
To me it feels like a whole load of hot air. It's like a really average song pumped up by the might of Gn'R performing it.
The bottom line is, beyond the good guitar work, the songs says little to me, thus as no meaning.
It feels fake, unlike say the might of Nightrain, which feels real.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 12:47:13 PM by codenameninja » Logged
NorthwindNS
Headliner

I don't need your civil war.

« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2006, 01:18:13 PM »

Well, let me say first off - - this is an interesting thread. There is only one filler song that GNR has ever recorded, in fact, it is not even a filler, its just a "fucked-up, funny as shit, 'lets put this at the end' song." - and that is MY WORLD.

You people are crazy listing all those AWESOME songs as fillers. But! Everyone has their own opinions. To each his own.... As hard as it is for me to say that, it is true. If we didn't have others opinions there would be no point to having a message board - everyone would keep repeating themselves.

SO! In my opinion, GNR has recorded NO FILLER SONGS, besides My World - which seems to be more of an ADD-ON rather then a filler.

:: NorthwindNS

An "It's so easy" to be social
"It's so easy" to be cool
Yeah it's easy to be hungry
When you ain't got shit to lose
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2006, 02:42:53 PM »

OMG almost every poster mentioned Bad Apples as a filler. Easily one of my favourite songs off the UYIs.

Amen to that. Bad Apples FTW!

Why let one bad apple spoil the whole damn bunch?

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2006, 02:45:54 PM »

My World can't be filler because it's too short. Not every crappy song is filler, some are just crappy songs.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »

Dude the Blues is awesome, I can see it being the 2nd ballad single after a hard rocking first single^

Let me say this. The Blues is awesome. One of the better new songs, and I love it!

But anyone that knows anything about this band, knows this is gonna be a B-side/filler-type of song.

No different than So Fine...

(let the flaming begin)  Grin

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2006, 05:13:08 PM »

how people can say that right next door to hell, locomotive or even dont cry are fillers is beyond me

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: