Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:31:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227891 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses Added to Governors Ball (June 7-9th, 2013 in New York)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses Added to Governors Ball (June 7-9th, 2013 in New York)  (Read 47982 times)
johnreed3344
Rocker

« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »

still cannot get over Saturday night what a treat!!

12/5/02
5/17/06
11/5/06
11/17/11
11/26/11
2/10/12
2/24/12
6/8/13
4/8/16
4/16/16
7/14/16
7/23/16
10/11/17
10/12/17
10/15/17
10/16/17
7/1/18
10/1/19
8/5/21
8/11/23
8/15/23 NE
Dexter103
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:15 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/arts/music/axl-rose-and-kanye-west-heroes-of-governors-ball.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

June 10, 2013
Pop Heroes Made and Remade
By JON PARELES
Notoriety was the key to headlining the Governors Ball Music Festival last weekend on Randalls Island. It used to be the making of a pop hero, and sometimes it still is.

Saturday?s main-stage closer was Guns N? Roses, the band led by a vociferous bad boy of yesteryear, W. Axl Rose. Sunday?s finale ? and by far the biggest draw, if tabulations by the festival?s scheduling app were any indication ? was Kanye West, the rapper and producer who has so often acted up in the spotlight and then written songs about fame-induced folly and megalomania. He had a new one on Sunday, modestly titled ?I Am a God.?

They both have long, tangled back stories that have become incentives for attending their shows; see it live before it?s reported by the tabloids. And their music was set at full blast. They?re two generations of pop hero: Mr. Rose stays shameless while Mr. West is (sometimes) repentant.

At Governors Ball they avoided the self-destructive rants of past occasions. Mr. Rose came back onstage after his band?s big fireworks display to announce, ?I love New York.? And when Mr. West got to the spot in his song ?Clique? where, he said, he usually starts complaining and justifying himself, he instead touted his artistic independence. ?We just made some real music,? he said of his album ?Yeezus,? due for release next Tuesday, going on to insist that he didn?t care about selling a million albums or tailoring songs for radio play. ?When I listen to radio, that ain?t how I want to be no more,? he declared to roars of approval, though radio stations might be resentful.

If Mr. West was out to steamroll the acts that came before his ? 63 others over three days ? he came pretty close. His new songs relied on brutally stark synthesizer riffs and drumbeats, closer to industrial dance music than to current hip-hop, and they were delivered on Sunday through a sound system with bone-rattling bass. Most of his older songs were remixed along the same lines: all deep, ominous punch as Mr. West shouted nearly every line.

He spent most of his performance on a small stage in the audience, wearing a loose gray outfit that made him look something like a penitent; for those who could see him, he was heaving back and forth, working up a sweat. But he set aside the beat for two long ballads with only piano chords and his computer-tuned voice: ?Heartless,? about a breakup, and ?Runaway,? a toast to boorish behavior. Bragging and materialism are at war with self-consciousness and self-criticism in Mr. West?s songs; a hero of ambivalence, he slammed home all the contradictions.

Guns N? Roses, by contrast, unabashedly celebrated excess. The group, which now consists of Mr. Rose and sidemen rather than the band of comrades from its 1987-91 heyday, is larger, slicker and even more cartoonish than it was in its early years. Mr. Rose and the band?s three guitarists struck rock-star poses, songs indulged themselves in long buildups and guitar interludes, and the stage spewed fireworks and confetti. It was an older school of rock-hero behavior, full of preening and bombast. Yet once Mr. Rose got his voice up to full, abrasive yowl and screech, Guns N? Roses was the embodiment of nostalgia-enhanced memories, a relic reanimated like a woolly mammoth suddenly charging across the tundra.

Kings of Leon, whose headlining set was rained out on Friday, were squeezed into Saturday?s lineup for their first New York City show since 2010. They didn?t play hero; they worked their instruments and let their songs ? brooding Southern rock updated with hints of punk agitation or U2?s arena-scale hooks ? speak for themselves.

Most of the rock bands presented themselves with that kind of modesty. Gary Clark Jr., a blues-rocker from Texas, made his songs slash and scream and erupt with distortion, communing with his guitar rather than telegraphing the music?s drama. Divine Fits ? the songwriting alliance of Britt Daniel, from Spoon, and Dan Boeckner, from Wolf Parade ? did some clowning onstage, but never hid the rigorous neatness of songs that use every detail of an arrangement to tell their stories.

Deerhunter?s guitarists just stood there casually as they showed how two or three chords could swell into clouds of noise evoking specific eras: garage-rock, psychedelia, postpunk. A different variety of postpunk ? revved up by breakneck, pointillistic guitar patterns ? came through in galvanizing sets by two British bands, Bloc Party and Foals. Haim, a band led by three sisters from California, channeled guitar patterns into a sunnier style, like Fleetwood Mac thinking about the Feelies.

Crowds sang along on folky, toe-tapping ditties from the Lumineers and Of Monsters and Men, and mouthed the lyrics more quietly for the whispery, skeletal, lovesick pop of the xx, who used lasers and smoke to create an eerie virtual canopy over a big muddy field. Yeasayer, whose songs delight in intellectual constructs and musical convolutions, faced happy, hands-in-the-air fans who picked up the band?s elements of disco and electronica and danced to them.

The mesh of the programmed and the hand-played was one through-line of the festival. Erykah Badu?s tart, sassy voice humanized the two-chord vamps generated by her laptop-wielding band; Alt-J drew subtle but clear connections between folky picking and the blipping patterns of electronic dance music. Animal Collective played a mesmerizing set, mingling live and electronic instruments, in which loops and overlapping vocal lines became euphoric incantations. Thievery Corporation slipped programmed elements into live-sounding reggae and funk. Robert DeLong, a one-man band using loops and samples, constructed pop songs that he then zapped with the assaultive noises of dubstep. Crystal Castles reached back to the punk-tinged synthesizer riffs and out-of-tune vocals of the 1990s rave era, though it also had more current, consonant tracks. The festival also had some unaccompanied DJs ? Dillon Francis and Griz ? who played inventive, genre-hopping sets; there was a Silent Disco tent, where dance music was broadcast to headphones all day.

While most of the festival?s rockers weren?t acting heroic, its rappers were. Azealia Banks ? the best dressed performer by far ? had fans shouting encouragement as she presented herself in song after song as a ?bad bitch,? bragging about raunchy exploits and picking fights, in a rapid-fire, indefatigable delivery that rivaled the twitchy momentum of her backup tracks.

Nas, whose set split the Saturday night audience with Guns N? Roses, presented himself not as a bad guy but as a chronicler and preserver of hip-hop. He reached back to his 1994 debut album, ?Illmatic,? for details of ghetto life and worked his way forward to grown-up reflections. Freddie Gibbs presented himself as the keeper of a disappearing genre ? gangsta rap ? but turned traditionalism into swagger, performing bare-chested and rattling off verse after verse a cappella, barely taking a breath. Kendrick Lamar?s album, ?Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City,? doesn?t endorse the gangsta life he observes, but onstage he barked his songs as if they were triumphal rather than wary.

The other headliner was mud: a result of the daylong deluge Friday. Festivalgoers tramping through shoe-swallowing mud, and dancing through it, may have been the real heroes.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »

Guns N' Roses
Killer Fan Video of Paradise City @GovBallNYC

Guns n Roses - Paradise City - Live at Governors Ball 2013
Ej Murphy
http://youtu.be/wOnOF6WvLJA

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »

The music critic from my employer, Bloomberg LP. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-10/axl-rose-does-pink-floyd-governors-ball-survives-storm.html
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »

It sounds like Axl was looking to win the audience over, tightened the setlist up, and everyone went home happy that night. Glad the weather held up for them. The 10 people who complained about GNR playing when the lineup was announced, were drowned out by the thousands who got to enjoy it.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2013, 01:06:19 AM »

Just got back from NYC - that was the best I've heard Axl sound live (4th time).  Everyone around me - and anyone I spoke to at the festival/hotel/around the city all had positive things to say about Guns.  I figured Axl came out early in order to include as many songs as possible in the set... I know I appreciated it!  Great concert!
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »

It sounds like Axl was looking to win the audience over, tightened the setlist up, and everyone went home happy that night. Glad the weather held up for them. The 10 people who complained about GNR playing when the lineup was announced, were drowned out by the thousands who got to enjoy it.

I wouldn't say I complained, I was just disappointed they were doing an area festival iwith no word of a headlining concert..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »

I wouldn't say I complained, I was just disappointed they were doing an area festival iwith no word of a headlining concert..

Maybe the poster wasn't talking about you, but the people who were campaigning against having GN'R play at GovBall.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »

Watching the vids. Axl was on fire that night!

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »

Amazing Concert In NY  love

Videos Please !!!

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »

Pics from the amazing evening in New York City:

What an ending to an amazing tour.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2013, 07:55:44 PM »

Most likely my comment about festivals went unnoticed..so glad I was able to see GN'R at the "Bowling Alley" show! Saw you there as well.. Quite the gig you got.. ok

Maybe the poster wasn't talking about you, but the people who were campaigning against having GN'R play at GovBall.

/jarmo
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »

Guns N' Roses In NY City @ 200 Pic's

http://alpha.crowdalbum.com/gallery/51b43de7879ea2ac4d000001/Guns-N--Roses---2013-Governors-Ball-NYC-Music-Festival_20130608#prettyPhoto

smoking

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2013, 03:07:24 AM »

Pics from the amazing evening in New York City:

What an ending to an amazing tour.

/jarmo
Wow, where the hell is DJ throwing his guitar?. Jesus, those things weigh a good deal indeed, love those photos man. The Frank one's killer!!!...
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »

wait, what who? Feminist organisations, reunionists?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
dolphins
Rocker

« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »

The photo of DJ throwing his guitar looks like one of those sword swallowers  Cheesy
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2013, 12:04:02 AM »

The photo of DJ throwing his guitar looks like one of those sword swallowers  Cheesy
Check out the first one of him throwing his guitar, the height he throws it at is crazy.  hihi
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »

So if someone tells you that GN'R always shows up late and cancels all their shows, tell them you got a news flash for them. The world isn't flat and they need to get their other fatcs straight before opening their mouths...

/jarmo

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »

Paradise City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0aE-pGYmxQ

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: