Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  smokers vs non-smokers
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: smokers vs non-smokers  (Read 39701 times)
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2006, 06:20:08 PM »

I dont have a problem with smokers but im not a smoker .... i dont have a problem as long as there not asses and do it inside near there kids or right beside someone else ..... now thats retarded but ya thats my opinion  ok

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2006, 07:34:36 PM »

im a smoker but always distant myself from non smokers!!

yes yes....i do have respect!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Evolution
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2006, 07:54:59 PM »

if people leave beer on the table while they go outside then it wont be there for long hahaha

hihi So fucking true.

The smoke hanging over the door however will mean more underagers can sneak in and increase revenue for pubs.  ok
RichardNixon
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2006, 11:48:57 PM »

I just saw the new film "Thank You For Smoking" and it was great.
Kaybee
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2006, 12:23:50 AM »

I've never even had a puff of a cigarette in my life... just not interested. I used to date this guy that was a smoker and it was like kissing an ashtray  no
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2006, 07:30:04 AM »

i still don`t get why people start smoking....it`s pretty useless imo. you stink and your lung gets black by the tar....that`s it...

girls who smoke are the most unerotic matter anyway.....

i use to smoke weed. it`s able to fuck people up, but it`s cool in moderation and you at least have a benefit from smoking it peace

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
SuperMike
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2006, 06:51:10 PM »

I'm a non-smoker which I find surprising because most of my family are smokers. The thought of starting to smoke just never crossed my mind. But I don't judge people for smoking though.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2006, 05:50:10 AM »

im a smoker - have been for about 10-12 yrs but Im about ready to give it away. I smoke probably 2-3 lights a day, so by no means heavy, but I just dont like the fact that its unhealthy

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2006, 06:31:25 AM »

nothing helps to clear stress as smoking. That's why I started, it's just hard to quit now.

And I still get stress and then I lite a smoke, better that than being on bad mood to everyone.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2006, 07:01:05 AM »

I am a smoker and I get irritated by the fact that in the ny/nj area we can't smoke anywhere anymore. I don't know if our friends overseas on this board share this problem but it's a heavy annoyance over here. Any non-smokers feel free to post your annoyances with us, as trivial as I believe them all to be.

Here (Belgium), the law is getting more and more strict. Since 2006 It's forbidden to smoke at your work, except outside with the management's agreement. Same in more and more public places.

Anyway, I smoke (it's been 10 years) and god damn it I love that yes

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
badapple81
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2006, 07:22:53 AM »

Here in Australia now (not sure in all States) it's illegal in pubs and clubs. They are allowed one section for smokers, which of course is usually the gambling area so they throw some money away along with their lungs!
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2006, 07:44:34 AM »

As a non-smoker and activist for non-smoker rights (I'm allergic) I'm pleased that here in Newfoundland we've succeeded in outlawing smoking in all public enclosed areas, including restaurants, pubs, and bars.  There's further talk that bans will be placed on smoking in public areas such as sidewalks and around doors of businesses.  It's a good thing.   ok  Eventually, smoking may become criminalized here, while pot becomes decriminalized.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2006, 08:37:37 AM »

So does that mean that one may be able to go around smoking joints but ciggies may be criminalized?  Wow I think I'm moving to your country!!!! Grin
I don't understand the difference other than the fact that mary jane has a nicer fragrance, but hey...whatever works LOL
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2006, 09:01:37 AM »

I'd never take up cigarettes, but I do smoke a shit load of weed.  The health side of it really does bother me and I fully intend to stop at some point, but I don't see now as the time.  I'm going travelling after Uni, so maybe i'll call it quits then.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2006, 06:50:54 PM »

Export A Golds or Belmont Milds....

Now thats some good tobacco hihi

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »

My mom smokes and I can't stand to get near her room.

If us non-smokers don't want to be around smoke, then we don't have to be. It's nasty.
Goldie
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »

I am a non-smoker. (Bill Hicks "My worst fear is becoming one of you" a whining non-smoker).
I think smokers are the coolest people on the planet.? smoking Every boyfriend I've ever had has been a smoker. Ever man I've ever found remotely attractive has been a smoker. I dig smokers. They are the last American Rebels.
However, my husband is currently a smoker who has been diagnosed with Berger's Disease. If he doesn't quit (and apparently he doesn't plan on it) he will lose fingers, toes, arms and/or legs. The shit you smokers go through just to be cool.? smoking
I'm glad for myself and my daughter that I quit while I was in college. I know its hard.
My blackened heart goes out to all you blackened lungs!? love
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2006, 11:59:17 AM »

I'd never take up cigarettes, but I do smoke a shit load of weed.  The health side of it really does bother me and I fully intend to stop at some point, but I don't see now as the time.  I'm going travelling after Uni, so maybe i'll call it quits then.

what do you mean by the health side?

the danger of cancer or the mental fuck up?

one question to all the smokers here: why did you start smoking? i don`t really get how one could start smoking except for peer pressure, if you`re not the self confident kind of person......

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2006, 04:03:21 AM »

I smoke, a lot. A pack a day and I'd smoke more if they weren't so damn expensive.

Cigarettes are the only product that you never hear the other side. They run those "Truth" commericals all day long, and to be fair, they're full of shit.

Bill Maher once made an excellent point about smoking, "If ketchup had 1/20th of the carcinigens of a cigarette, they'd rip if off the shelves tomorrow." So anyone who tells you they pass legislation to prevent people from smoking, resticting where you can, high prices, more taxes, are full of shit. The government lives off the campaign contributions given to them by big tobacco companies.

Here in Canada, we have the nice pictures on our packs and you know what? No one gives a shit. No one looks at them, no one cares what they say, we make fun of them.

While smoking has been clearly identified as the cause of many diseases and other health problems, as described above, it has also been observed to reduce the incidence of some diseases (endometrial cancer, Parkinson's disease, ulcerative colitis, hypertension of pregnancy(4) and Alzheimer's disease(147,148)). This is known as a 'protective effect'.

There is evidence to suggest that smoking reduces the risk of cancer of the endometrium (membrane lining of the uterus) in post-menopausal women by an estimated 30% in current smokers.(149) This may be because of the effects of smoking on oestrogen levels. Smoking is known to affect other oestrogen related phenomena: for example, both a woman's age at menopause and her bone density after menopause are related to her oestrogen levels. The action of cigarette smoking is opposite to that of oestrogens in each instance: relative to other women, smokers have an earlier age at menopause and bones that are more brittle. The risk of endometrial cancer is substantially increased by the use of drugs containing oestrogen. Therefore it is not inconsistent that tobacco smoke could counter the effect of oestrogens and reduce the risk of endometrial cancer.(150)

However if some degree of protection from endometrial cancer is afforded by cigarette smoking, it fades to insignificance when compared to the numbers of lives lost through smoking. Some 30 times as many lives are lost due to smoking than saved through lowered incidence of endometrial cancer.(150) Researchers have acknowledged this: 'The present findings [about endometrial cancer] do not have direct public health importance since cigarettes, overall, have serious deleterious effects. However, if these results are confirmed, elucidation of the underlying mechanism whereby smoking reduces the risk would be of interest and might be useful in the development of strategies for preventing endometrial cancer.'(149)

It is estimated that the overall aetiological fraction of endometrial cancer prevented in ex- and current-smokers is -0.10. This means that for every 100 cases of endometrial cancer observed in a community where smoking occurs, if smoking were absent from this community, 10 more would occur.

Tobacco also appears to have a protective effect against Parkinson's disease and hypertension of pregnancy. The overall aetiological fractions for the effects of smoking are -0.35 for Parkinson's disease in men and -0.22 in women. In women, the aetiological fraction for hypertension of pregnancy is -0.07.

The effects of smoking on ulcerative colitis are unclear. In their review, English et al conclude that there is limited evidence that current smoking protects against ulcerative colitis and that there is also limited evidence that past smoking causes ulcerative colitis. The overall effect of ever smoking is that 8% of ulcerative colitis in men and 3% in women is caused by ever smoking.

Recent research indicates that smoking may also protect against the development of Alzheimer's disease in some measure. However, as with the other conditions listed above, tobacco use is not recommended as a prophylactic: 'Although the association is compatible with a protective effect of smoking for familial Alzheimer's disease, it has no relevance for prevention of Alzheimer's disease because of the adverse health effects of smoking.'(148)

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »

I cannot judge smokers differently, I have been out with both and generally speaking... non-smokers are my pick!

Smokers smell bad, and they waste so much money!!

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: