Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:25:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Why wasn't Don't Damn Me ever played live?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why wasn't Don't Damn Me ever played live?  (Read 30396 times)
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 10:02:18 PM »

They did play Bad Apples live BTW

jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 10:07:41 PM »

They did play it live, not often but they did
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 10:13:01 PM »

No, they didn't.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 10:22:17 PM »

The current band didn't play a hella lot of songs collectively.

And it's not that hard to pull off live, vocally or otherwise. WTTJ is harder to manage live vocally. And that was and is even done sparringly to this day ok

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 10:22:47 PM »

Dont Damn Me is very hard to sing, there are very few pauses in this song and I would guess that's why it was never played, for a similar reason Coma was only rarely played, cos they're too damn hard to do justice to in a live environment.

Off the top of my head only Dont Damn Me. My World, GITR and One in a Million were never played live.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 10:23:24 PM »

No, they didn't.

No shit, my bad, I was thinking of right next door to hell.  Sorry.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »

Dont Damn Me is very hard to sing, there are very few pauses in this song and I would guess that's why it was never played, for a similar reason Coma was only rarely played, cos they're too damn hard to do justice to in a live environment.

Off the top of my head only Dont Damn Me. My World, GITR and One in a Million were never played live.

One In A Million was played atleast once.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:17 PM »

Yes and I love that One in a million boot, so simple but so classic.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 10:27:48 PM »

One In A Million was played atleast once.

You could be right there, it was never played on the UYI tour though was it?

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:10 PM »

To my knowledge no.? I've only heard the cbgbs version. they had too much new material to go back to it by then
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:32:19 PM by jimb0 » Logged
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:14 PM »

One can reproduce DDM live more easily because throughout 60ish% of it, it can be sung in alower key that would just need better pacing.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 10:32:03 PM »

No, they didn't.

No shit, my bad, I was thinking of right next door to hell.? Sorry.
they played live bad apples
in RIR2

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 10:33:46 PM »

One can reproduce DDM live more easily because throughout 60ish% of it, it can be sung in alower key that would just need better pacing.

Im not saying it can't be done live but I think the reason it was never played live was due to it being too hard on Axl vocally, I could be wrong though  peace

JohnnyBlade
Opening Act

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 10:41:14 PM »

This strikes me as one of the biggest mysteries of this band. To me this is one of their best rockers ever, only second to nightrain. I know not everyone agrees on that, but that the song is atleast one of the best on UYI 1, has to be a given.

Yet, the band never played it. That puts it in the company of songs like My World, Get In The Ring (I think) and perhaps Bad Apples. In comparison this just doesn't make any sense. I've heard that it was too hard to play. Well, maybe for me or the guy in Motley Crue, but not for Slash. No way.

I'm left clueless on this subject. Anyone with more information who want to share?
Hey don't knock Mick Mars, fuck head.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 10:46:08 PM »

Im not saying it can't be done live but I think the reason it was never played live was due to it being too hard on Axl vocally, I could be wrong though? peace

Well, that's a real cop-out then. On WTTJ Axl has missed plenty of times trying to reproduce what you hear on the album, and most of the time he does ot differently in a live setting I would think.

It's harder to sing live than DDM. Maybe if he would sing it once we'd have Axl's version of proof.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2006, 10:57:52 PM »

I always wondered why as well. DDM was/is clearly one of their best songs. There is SOOOOO much emotion in this song. I always play this song when I'm pissed off.
darkmonth
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 11:25:35 PM »

Aside from Coma, I think this is GNR's most "lyrically packed" song...  I think it'd be difficult for any singer to pull off live without forgetting an entire verse or two.

...And just my opinion, but aside from the chorus, there's nothing particularly memorable about it - Just kinda one long rant (albeit a well-written one).

Nothing memorable... yet someone above you just said that it's one of the best songs GnR ever did.  So in fact, while your opinion counts in some degree, by the sheer fact that someone thinks it's one of the best, must mean it IS memorable.

Plus, I agree with him.  Don't Damn Me is one of the most obscenely awesome tunes to come out of GnR... hands down.  It rocks.  Not just the chorus.  Jeeeez.
Hujiko
Opening Act

from Madrid

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 12:59:24 AM »

"Why wasn't Don't Damn Me ever played live?" Undecided

I'm wondering that question too... because it's a great raw song, and it's the only song in the UYI albums that has the "ILLUSION" word sang on it beer beer beer beer
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 01:21:45 AM »

By the way, Jimbo, BOTH Bad Apples and Right Next Door to Hell were played live, the latter being played on a fairly regular basis on the first leg of the tour.  Also, I don't know who is knocking Mick Mars, but I think he is a terrific guitarist.  He's no Slash and maybe his solos aren't as complex as some of the greats, but his riffs are the most memorable thing in Motley Crue, imho.
EccoTides
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 01:26:55 AM »

"Why wasn't Don't Damn Me ever played live?" Undecided

I'm wondering that question too... because it's a great raw song, and it's the only song in the UYI albums that has the "ILLUSION" word sang on it beer beer beer beer

Haha, ever heard Locomotive, dude?  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: