Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:14:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash On Promoters Push For A GN'R Reunion "That Time Has Passed At This Point'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash On Promoters Push For A GN'R Reunion "That Time Has Passed At This Point'  (Read 7731 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: August 07, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »

Slash plays the Paramount

August 3, 2012

There was a lot of drama surrounding your Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction -- whether Axl Rose would show. Was that a bizarre experience?
Given the history of the band, it really doesn't seem that bizarre. Originally I didn't want to deal with it. It was a big, unanswered question up until the 11th hour. We made do with what we had, and it turned out to be a really cool experience.

You were recently awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. How did it feel to be recognized by yourself and not just for your old group?
It was flattering. I've spent a majority of my time on the streets of Hollywood. It was where I got my sensibility in the entertainment business. It was a fantasyland when I was a kid. To have a star bestowed upon me was a huge honor.

"Appetite for Destruction" is 25 years old. Does that blow your mind?
It doesn't seem like that long ago. The concept of a quarter of a century is crazy. It's become a very iconic record, and I'm proud of that. One of the most significant things about it is being considered a must-have for everybody's rock and roll collection.

What kind of impact did your sobriety have on your creativity?
Whenever you give up one vice, you tend to pick up another one. Fortunately for me, I've delved into playing and writing more than I ever did. Luckily it wasn't another bad vice that I had to shake myself loose of.

What kind of sound were you going for with this band -- something between Velvet Revolver and Guns N' Roses?
I wasn't going for anything in particular; I was just doing my thing. The difference between this and those other bands is that I was definitely the captain of the ship on this one. I got to do something the way I wanted to do it, without having to work within an equal democracy. But I still try to let everybody have as much input as possible. Creatively it's been an open experience.

Do promoters constantly push you for a Guns N' Roses reunion?
I think that time is sort of passed at this point, but there was a period where big wads of cash were shaking in our direction. I think the concept of getting the band back together based on money is not going to happen.

Is Velvet Revolver done, or will you search for a new singer?
The quest for a new singer is still ongoing. It's just very quiet because there's nothing much to say until you actually make a decision.

Is your top hat something you enjoy wearing, or do you think people just expect it?
I was very shy going onstage in front of people. I always kept my eyes closed. When the hat came along, I left comfortable in it, and that's still the case.

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/region-state/slash-plays-the-paramount-1.3881422?qr=1

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »

What kind of impact did your sobriety have on your creativity?
Whenever you give up one vice, you tend to pick up another one. Fortunately for me, I've delved into playing and writing more than I ever did. Luckily it wasn't another bad vice that I had to shake myself loose of.

And this is why I will never understand those people who criticize Slash for playing with this person, or making an appearance with that person.  The guy is keeping himself busy which may very well be keeping him from drugs and alcohol. 
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »

Some more comments on this interview here:

SLASH Says That Classic GUNS N' ROSES Reunion 'Based On Money Is Not Going To Happen' - Aug. 7, 2012

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash told New York's Newsday that being inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and the fact that the band's lead singer, Axl Rose, refused to be inducted along with the rest of the classic GN'R lineup closed the book on a GUNS N' ROSES reunion once and for all.

"I think that time is sort of passed at this point, but there was a period where big wads of cash were shaking in our direction," he said. "I think the concept of getting the band back together based on money is not going to happen."

Asked if the drama surrounding the GN'R Rock Hall induction ? whether Axl Rose would show ? was a bizarre experience, Slash said, "Given the history of the band, it really doesn't seem that bizarre. Originally I didn't want to deal with it. It was a big, unanswered question up until the 11th hour. We made do with what we had, and it turned out to be a really cool experience."

Regarding the 25th anniversary of GNR's "Appetite For Destruction", one of the most successful and important debut albums of all time which has gone on to sell more than 30 million copies, Slash said, "It doesn't seem like that long ago. The concept of a quarter of a century is crazy. It's become a very iconic record, and I'm proud of that. One of the most significant things about it is being considered a must-have for everybody's rock 'n' roll collection."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=177804

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
kobys
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »

I think it's just really safe to say that we'll never see the original GnR line up togather again. Hell, be glad that everyone has their own thing going on.

I'm a Ronald Reagan conservative and damn proud of it!
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:21:03 AM »

The Saga Continue, Post RNROF

Slash Blah, More, Blah, More...

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »

^Actually, it's not blah blah blah at all; Slash is simply confirming everything that Axl has been saying for years (regarding a possible reunion). So if Slash is blah blah, then so too is Axl.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
J.Hanover
Opening Act

Been a fan for 24+ years!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »

With regards to Axl and Slash every playing together and the old line-up playing a reunion gig, certain things have to happen. For one, Axl and Slash would have to repair there friendship, without that it will never happen. They need to sit down and talk and see if they can even repair it. Some harsh words were said and he said this BS verse that BS were said. For one the shit slinging has to stop and Axl has a good chance to stop it on Jimmy Kimmel. I back Axl with this whole thing cause all I see is interview after interview from Slash just trashing Axl. Axl hasn't really done an interview in 20 years, let alone say much in the press. Know what goes on amongst there friends we'll never know what has been said. So all the BS shit talking has to stop. The HOF didn't help but it did seem to get Axl and Izzy on the same page. It was nice to see these friends back together. I guess that's my point, the original GN'R were all friends first, they built a friendship on the road. That first road being on the way to Seattle, having to hitchhike up. These guys partied together, ate together, banged the same girls together. They need to become friends again if anything is every going to happen again. Example being Axl and Izzy. They mended there friendship and look what happened in Europe over the summer. So GN'R fans, if you every want to see them play that last gig together there friendships will have to come first.

Ps
I love the current line-up so I don't want that to change. Just want to OG line-up to repair the friendships.

1st GN'R Show 10/22/1989!
Just took my 13 yr old son to the 11/9/12 show
Now he's hooked!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »

^^^^^
" In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed" - Axl Rose on Slash

Yeah you're right, Slash talks all the shit in this situation  Roll Eyes

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:56:05 PM »

With regards to Axl and Slash every playing together and the old line-up playing a reunion gig, certain things have to happen. For one, Axl and Slash would have to repair there friendship, without that it will never happen. They need to sit down and talk and see if they can even repair it. Some harsh words were said and he said this BS verse that BS were said. For one the shit slinging has to stop and Axl has a good chance to stop it on Jimmy Kimmel. I back Axl with this whole thing cause all I see is interview after interview from Slash just trashing Axl. Axl hasn't really done an interview in 20 years, let alone say much in the press. Know what goes on amongst there friends we'll never know what has been said. So all the BS shit talking has to stop. The HOF didn't help but it did seem to get Axl and Izzy on the same page. It was nice to see these friends back together. I guess that's my point, the original GN'R were all friends first, they built a friendship on the road. That first road being on the way to Seattle, having to hitchhike up. These guys partied together, ate together, banged the same girls together. They need to become friends again if anything is every going to happen again. Example being Axl and Izzy. They mended there friendship and look what happened in Europe over the summer. So GN'R fans, if you every want to see them play that last gig together there friendships will have to come first.

Your entire post is a whole lot of overly verbose mush.

Firstly, the members of the band were not friends before the band; Axl and Izzy knew each other since high school, and Steven and Slash knew each other since childhood.  Aside from that, they were only familiar with each other and had played together a few times.  They didn't really become tight as a fivesome until GNR started playing and writing together.

Secondly, you must not pay attention to interviews, because in recent years, Slash largely avoids the subject of Axl.  Axl Rose, on the other hand, HAS spoken to members of the press quite a few times in recent years, and repeatedly brought up Slash's name (in negative ways) in said interviews, despite requesting that the interviewer not do it!  And yes, there was the infamous "Slash is a cancer" comment that LunsJail mentioned, which was waayyyyyy harsher than anything Slash has ever said about Axl.

What on earth makes you think Axl is going to "stop" slinging shit or make even the slightest, most implied effort to mend fences with Slash when he goes on Kimmel's show?  I'd say chances are the polar opposite will happen, if anything does.

How exactly did the Hall of Fame get Axl and Izzy on the same page?  They both likely had far different reasons for not attending; Axl didn't attend because of how pro-original GNR it was, and Izzy very likely didn't attend because he typically shies away from the spotlight.  No similarities between them there, other than their absence.

In fact, I'd say it's pretty obvious that (despite their friendship) Axl and Izzy are NOT on the same page at all, and I base this on Axl's remarks.  He recently implied that Izzy was difficult to tour with, and he also said last year that it was best that no one knew Izzy was going to show up in 2006 because they (read: Axl) would've been apprehensive about what Izzy's intentions and punctuality.  I highly doubt Izzy would want to spend lengthy time on tour with Axl even if Axl wished for it, due to Izzy's desire to maintain his own schedule and his unwillingness to conform to Axl's notoriously erratic schedule.

Overall, your post makes you sound exactly like someone who's trying to summarize all kinds of things he doesn't know.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:57:36 PM by Bridge » Logged
J.Hanover
Opening Act

Been a fan for 24+ years!

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »

Bridge,
 Your entitled to your opinion and I have mine. I think you missed the point and are picking on a couple of opinions I have but whatever. if you think Axl has talked more shit about Slash then Slash about Axl then that's on you. But how many interviews has Axl did in the last 5 to 10 years? And how many has Slash did? As fas as Izzy that's all hearsay from both of us. How many shows did Izzy play with the band before and after the HOF induction? Anyway, going back to my point and the topic that this post is about, is Slash and Axl ever going to perform together and if that time has passed, my point was about the friendship. Axl and Izzy grew up together, Slash and Steven knew each other growing up. Only Duff came from know where. They were all in there early 20's when they came together and they all become friends before they before they blew up. They lived together, ate together, hung out together and partied together when they weren't playing music together. That's how you bond as friends in a band. That's why DJ is so excited about Veges, They'll be together for 2 months at least. How many stories have been told, shown, talked about in the early years before AFD hit it big? That's what I'm talking about, the friendship. Without that your just a bunch of dudes all playing to a different beat. That's why this has dragged on for so long, there's hurt feelings qnd broken friendships.  If they didn't care Slash wouldn't bring shit up and neither would Axl or any of the OG's. They would just say "no comment" and that's it. And actually now it has gotten to that point. But this all comes down to friendship and if you don't agree then that's your opinion and I'm cool with that cause like an asshole everybody's got one.

1st GN'R Show 10/22/1989!
Just took my 13 yr old son to the 11/9/12 show
Now he's hooked!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »

How exactly did the Hall of Fame get Axl and Izzy on the same page?  They both likely had far different reasons for not attending; Axl didn't attend because of how pro-original GNR it was, and Izzy very likely didn't attend because he typically shies away from the spotlight.  No similarities between them there, other than their absence.

Izzy kinda' implied he wouldn't be attending because Axl wasn't going (3 days after Axl's letter):

"I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GN'R induction into Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame."
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/izzy-stradlin-issues-statement-on-guns-n-roses-rock-hall-of-fame-induction-539435

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »

Izzy kinda' implied he wouldn't be attending because Axl wasn't going (3 days after Axl's letter):

"I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GN'R induction into Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame."
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/izzy-stradlin-issues-statement-on-guns-n-roses-rock-hall-of-fame-induction-539435

I think Izzy didn't want to be the spoiler if it was going to be a reunion of the original guys. Once he realized it wasn't, he decided to skip it. Pure speculation.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »

I think Izzy didn't want to be the spoiler if it was going to be a reunion of the original guys. Once he realized it wasn't, he decided to skip it. Pure speculation.

That's my take on his decision as well.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »

I don't see any reason Slash or Axl would want anything to do with each other at this point.
There is obviously bad blood between them, but more importantly, they couldn't be in more contrasting places in their careers.

Slash is driven to create new music. He's one of the most productive musicians in rock n roll today in that aspect, along with Izzy.
Axl can be found at the opposite end of the spectrum. They would just get in each others way at this point, unless they somehow became inspired by one another again.
Tough to imagine that happening w/the bad blood and musical directions they've gone in.

I'm confident Slash could still contribute GN'R caliber music, especially reunited w/Izzy. Axl has shown flashes that he could too, but I'm not sure I need to hear another classic GN'R record.
They went out on top. I don't need to hear GN'Rs version of Death Magnetic, or Stone Temple Pilots self titled or any of the other bland "return to form" failures we've heard over the years.

In my opinion, none of the alumni has sniffed the excellence they achieved with Use Your Illusion, and expecting them to do so 20+ years down the road would be wishful thinking to say the least.

I enjoy bits and pieces of all of the alumni careers post UYI, but I think I'd rather continue to hear what they've got left apart from each other.
If Axl is inspired by the latest incarnation, great, maybe a record is in the works one day.
Slash, Duff & Izzy are as productive as ever, so let it ride.

I personally couldn't care less about Slash & Axl's friendship. Save that for TMZ. I think we've all got better things to worry about.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »

I've pointed this out before, but Matt Sorum went on record during an interview before either Axl or Izzy released their statements and said he heard from Slash that Slash and Izzy had spoken and Izzy told him he was not going to the ceremony.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »

I've pointed this out before, but Matt Sorum went on record during an interview before either Axl or Izzy released their statements and said he heard from Slash that Slash and Izzy had spoken and Izzy told him he was not going to the ceremony.

Ali

You're right. I remember that now too.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »

Same old time after time, and although we can't really blame Slash because he gets asked all the time, although he could choose to ask them not to ask anything related to that beforehand. Every Slash interview, they discuss abit from his current projects then it always turns around onto Axl and GN'R.

I'm guessing Slash, and his fans are tired of this...  Roll Eyes
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 03:29:51 AM »

Same old time after time, and although we can't really blame Slash because he gets asked all the time, although he could choose to ask them not to ask anything related to that beforehand. Every Slash interview, they discuss abit from his current projects then it always turns around onto Axl and GN'R.

I'm guessing Slash, and his fans are tired of this...  Roll Eyes

see http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10827104

THE NO GO AREAS WHEN TALKING TO SLASH...

* Guns N' Roses is a topic that Slash can briefly touch on.
* You can briefly discuss the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame Induction - but only to the extent of the honour of that.
* You can't talk about the ceremony itself and Axl not showing up and their performance etc.
* No questions about Axl whatsoever.
* No questions about a possible Guns N' Roses reunion.
* No "on the road" stories or historic infamous type stories based around Guns N' Roses.
* There has to be a focus on what he's doing now and forthcoming events/plans.
suicide
VIP

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 04:59:07 AM »

see http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10827104

THE NO GO AREAS WHEN TALKING TO SLASH...

* Guns N' Roses is a topic that Slash can briefly touch on.
* You can briefly discuss the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame Induction - but only to the extent of the honour of that.
* You can't talk about the ceremony itself and Axl not showing up and their performance etc.
* No questions about Axl whatsoever.
* No questions about a possible Guns N' Roses reunion.
* No "on the road" stories or historic infamous type stories based around Guns N' Roses.
* There has to be a focus on what he's doing now and forthcoming events/plans.
That's interesting! Thanks for that!
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »

I'll second that, very interesting and good for Slash that he does indeed put his foot down about certain things!   ok
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: