Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Axl Rose and Mike Tyson
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose and Mike Tyson  (Read 5359 times)
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« on: December 04, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to point this out.. but anybody see a similar career trajectory between Axl and Mike Tyson?

1) Both exploded out of the gate in the 80s.
2) Extreme personalities and extreme, violent performances.
3) Trouble with the law.
4) Trouble with women.
5) Confrontations with the media.
6) Disappear from the scene.
7) Go through a period where they don't experience the same success.
Cool Sanity starts to get questioned.
9) Become a bit of a joke at some point.
10) Mellow out and experience modest success at an older age.
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »

I see a lot of similarities between strawberries and ketchup.

Both is food
Both is red
Both can be used to pimp other food
Both can be bought in stores
Both has a "best before" date
Both has been mentioned in song names (Beatles & Las Ketchup)

6 similarities?! Damn, there must be some connection!!

To the topic starter: sorry, I'm a little bit bored.
Take my post with a grain of salt Wink
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »

I see a lot of similarities between strawberries and ketchup.

Both is food
Both is red
Both can be used to pimp other food
Both can be bought in stores
Both has a "best before" date
Both has been mentioned in song names (Beatles & Las Ketchup)

6 similarities?! Damn, there must be some connection!!
ok
That was great!   hihi 
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:10 AM »

Mike Tyson's "trouble with the law" and "trouble with women" were the same thing. ie: the brutal rape of a woman. People seem to have forgotten that since The Hangover...
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »

Mike Tyson is a sinner and an ex-con.  Axl and him have little in common in my opinion.  Tyson retired washed up, Axl is still going strong.
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »

I think you're on to something! Although I would include GN'R as a group for some of the highlights:

Tyson: Mike was a heavy weight and a small one at that. He was a truly an all around fighter, not just a puncher. And though most experts say Muhammed Ali was the greatest, I believe that in his prime Mike Tyson was the most fearsome and devastating fighter ever. The original Mike under Cus D'Amato was unstoppable.

GN'R: They really had no musical peers when they exploded with Appetite For Destruction. People usually pick The Stones, or Aerosmith or some other heavy weight as the greatest rock band, but again, in their prime no band was as fearsome and awesome as GN'R.

Tyson: Moving forward Mike became the biggest celebrity fighter of all time. More so than Ali, Frazier or Foreman. The biggest. He lost Cus and started losing touch with his humble roots. He got in trouble with the law and started losing fights (i.e. KO by Lennox Lewis). He then retires on the downswing.

GN'R: It goes without saying that they became the biggest band in the world, overshadowing the greats that they formerly opened for. 'Illusions' showcases the band's vast musical abilities further separating them from other groups. They started having legal trouble-domestic for Axl and riots for the band! They lost founding members Izzy and Steven and with it, their street-wise roots. The commercial let down of 'Spaghetti' is a blow that they don't recover from.

Tyson & Axl: Both go through a period of being out of the public eye. Both emerge with a new look and a noticeably calmer demeanor. Both go on to redefine their careers with positivity and both with the occasional stumble. Both are still bad-ass!

Whaddaya think?  Smiley

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »

Mike Tyson is a sinner and an ex-con.  Axl and him have little in common in my opinion. 

A sinner, LOL.  Yeah, and Axl Rose is a candidate for Sainthood.   hihi  Don't dare read Erin Everly's never-mentioned-on-this-site sworn deposition against him then --- it'll make you cry.  If you do read it, you'll realize the only difference between Axl and Tyson is that Tyson got arrested for it, while Axl just had to field a now-forgotten lawsuit.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:33:11 PM by Bridge » Logged
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »

Great points, Poops. I feel like Tyson and GNR represented the "Extreme"-ness of the 80s. Think Sam Kinson, Morton Downey Jr, etc. Then Nirvana came along and represented the detached, dark slackerism of the 90s, and then the Spice Girls and Britney Spears came and created the slick pop trash era we're still living in today. Or at least that's how I see history. Smiley

I think you're on to something! Although I would include GN'R as a group for some of the highlights:

Tyson: Mike was a heavy weight and a small one at that. He was a truly an all around fighter, not just a puncher. And though most experts say Muhammed Ali was the greatest, I believe that in his prime Mike Tyson was the most fearsome and devastating fighter ever. The original Mike under Cus D'Amato was unstoppable.

GN'R: They really had no musical peers when they exploded with Appetite For Destruction. People usually pick The Stones, or Aerosmith or some other heavy weight as the greatest rock band, but again, in their prime no band was as fearsome and awesome as GN'R.

Tyson: Moving forward Mike became the biggest celebrity fighter of all time. More so than Ali, Frazier or Foreman. The biggest. He lost Cus and started losing touch with his humble roots. He got in trouble with the law and started losing fights (i.e. KO by Lennox Lewis). He then retires on the downswing.

GN'R: It goes without saying that they became the biggest band in the world, overshadowing the greats that they formerly opened for. 'Illusions' showcases the band's vast musical abilities further separating them from other groups. They started having legal trouble-domestic for Axl and riots for the band! They lost founding members Izzy and Steven and with it, their street-wise roots. The commercial let down of 'Spaghetti' is a blow that they don't recover from.

Tyson & Axl: Both go through a period of being out of the public eye. Both emerge with a new look and a noticeably calmer demeanor. Both go on to redefine their careers with positivity and both with the occasional stumble. Both are still bad-ass!

Whaddaya think?  Smiley

raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »

Larry "Ratso" Sloman is working on a book with Tyson.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: