Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:45:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Speculation: Odds of Robin coming back to GNR
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speculation: Odds of Robin coming back to GNR  (Read 9310 times)
raindogs70
Rocker

« on: February 25, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »

With the NIN announcement out & Robin not a part of it, what are the odds he's going to be back in GNR, and who would have to leave for Robin to come back?

(and no starting rumors of Robin back in GNR!).

JeffK
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

Hopefully 0% chance...the band is perfect the way it is! Dj, Ron and Richard should be the 3 guitar players no doubt about it. In my opinion Dj was the missing piece that GNR were looking for. They needed someone with DJ's stage presence, style and fan interaction...both on stage and through social media.

2006: Edmonton
2010: Calgary
2010: Saskatoon
2012: Las Vegas (x2)
2014: Las Vegas (x2)
2016: Las Vegas
2016: Toronto
2017: Regina
2017: Edmonton
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »

Seems like it would be a step backwards for the bands
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »

Zero odds. Though I'd love to have him back.

What it would take? Probably Dj getting tired of not getting to put out any albums with Axl. But I don't think that'll happen.

Finck would not be able to replace Ron. I don't think Richard will leave, but I dunno shit.
LuanVictor
Headliner

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »

Hoping for Ashba move out. I miss Robin.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »

No offense to Robin, but it was his decision to leave and the band has carried on without him.  So unless something happens, I don't think it would be right to invite him back into the fold full time.  FOUR guitarists full time would be a little much.  Obviously Robin is still thought of as a part of the GNR family, with his guest appearance in LA awhile back.  So I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that, but nothing more.  

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

I'd say Batman will be back in GNR before Robin will be.   yes

(double entendres are delicious)
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:49:04 AM »

Seriously. Robin's been in GN'R twice and both times he's chosen to leave. Richard, Bumble and DJ all rock on guitar and no disrespect to Robin but I wouldn't want to see any of them leave.

But hey, Gilby's an incredible guitarist and he got fired for Paul Huge/Tobias. And ok Paul co wrote some ok songs on Chinese but what the fuck else has he done?

I don't think it's likely Robin will rejoin. But this is Guns so who knows.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »

there's a wise old saying :

"Whenever Robin Finck is available, bring him back in your band"

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »

there's a wise old saying :

"Whenever Robin Finck is available, bring him back in your band"

I guess he's not available since he's not in NIN....  Tongue

On a serious note, why even start this kind of "speculation"?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »

Paul co wrote some ok songs on Chinese but what the fuck else has he done?

At least Paul have written some good songs. Can't say the same about Gilby.  Wink
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »

The band is perfect the way it is, I wouldn't replace any of the guitar players with Robin.  I have seen all the incarnations of the band since the original band broke up, and this is by far the best one.
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »

At least Paul have written some good songs. Can't say the same about Gilby.  Wink

Umm yea you can. I'm guessing your only talking bout song-writing for Guns which is a bit unfair as Gilby was fired before he had the chance. Have you not heard Gilby's solo albums, Colonel Parker, Slash's Snakepit (1st album), Rockstar Supernova (Ok it wasn't a big hit, but the songs were cool). Or his pre Guns band Kill For Thrills.

Just cos they werent for Guns, you can't say Gilby hasn't written good songs.

And sorry what else has Paul done since Guns? You never did answer that.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »

Umm yea you can. I'm guessing your only talking bout song-writing for Guns which is a bit unfair as Gilby was fired before he had the chance. Have you not heard Gilby's solo albums, Colonel Parker, Slash's Snakepit (1st album), Rockstar Supernova (Ok it wasn't a big hit, but the songs were cool). Or his pre Guns band Kill For Thrills.

You're guess is wrong. I was talking Pawnshop Guitars, Snakepit and Rockstar Supernova.

I was slightly wrong, Snakepit songs are ok!

What Paul has done outside of GN'R is pretty un-interresting to me. I'm not a fan of him, although I listened to some songs of his band Mank Rage years ago when they were on myspace.

This is what I thought about it back in 2007:

first time i've heard them... "it's funny" is a great song, can't wait to listen to the others too

Is that answer enough for you?
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »

Oh and also, Paul continued to contribute in the studio with GN'R even after he quit the live band  ok
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't see Robin returning to GN'R in a "full time" capacity. I think now he is a father, he has decided to take a step back from live touring, and this is also backed up by the fact that he will not be involved with the latest NIN line-up.

I just hope I can see this amazing musician live again someday, and I'm thankful of the 13 times I got to see him out of my 30 GN'R shows.  ok
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »

You're guess is wrong. I was talking Pawnshop Guitars, Snakepit and Rockstar Supernova.

What Paul has done outside of GN'R is pretty un-interresting to me. I'm not a fan of him, although I listened to some songs of his band Mank Rage years ago when they were on myspace.

first time i've heard them... "it's funny" is a great song, can't wait to listen to the others too

Well it's about the kinda' answer I expected. Just cos you don't care for Pawnshop and Supernova doesn't mean they're not albums with good songs. I guess it's personal taste. I love all Gilby's stuff (those albums included) and know lots of others do too. First Snakepit album was killer. Only weak point was the singer Eric Dover. A poor mans Axl Rose.

Funny too how for Slash's first solo/Snakepit album he used everyone from Guns at that time except Paul (oh and Axl, but it was a solo project). Matt was bands drummer, Dizzy guested, Duff either wrote or co wrote a song. And oh yeah, the recently fired from Guns Gilby played guitar.

And Pawnshop's songs must be alright cos it's the only solo album by any Gunner past or present to feature every then Guns member including Axl.

Never heard of Mank Rage but maybe I'll check it out sometime
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »

Oh and also, Paul continued to contribute in the studio with GN'R even after he quit the live band  ok

Well yeah, he is credited with playing guitar on several tracks on CD. But with the exception of the solos, with like four or five guitarists on each track it's hard to know exactly what parts are Paul's. And we don't know whether his tracks are ones he recorded before leaving the band or went back to do.

I remember being really disappointed that Richard only plays on like five tracks and didn't get to play any solos.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:37:36 AM »

Well it's about the kinda' answer I expected. Just cos you don't care for Pawnshop and Supernova doesn't mean they're not albums with good songs. I guess it's personal taste. I love all Gilby's stuff (those albums included) and know lots of others do too. First Snakepit album was killer. Only weak point was the singer Eric Dover. A poor mans Axl Rose.

Funny too how for Slash's first solo/Snakepit album he used everyone from Guns at that time except Paul (oh and Axl, but it was a solo project). Matt was bands drummer, Dizzy guested, Duff either wrote or co wrote a song. And oh yeah, the recently fired from Guns Gilby played guitar.

And Pawnshop's songs must be alright cos it's the only solo album by any Gunner past or present to feature every then Guns member including Axl.

Never heard of Mank Rage but maybe I'll check it out sometime

So it was the answer you expected even though your guess was entirely wrong, alrightey then.

Of course it's about personal taste, but at the same time I'm not biased or blinded by my love for GN'R when it comes to slightly-better-than-useless solo projects. Pawnshop Guitars is still a weak ass album even though it featured so many then-current gunners. Not even Axl is any good on it.

Eric Dover is indeed a shitty vocalist and that killed that album. IMO Aint Life Grand is far better than It's' 5 o'clock somewhere.

5 o'clock was not for a solo project. It was what Slash wrote for GN'R and what he wanted GN'R to be, so there's nothing funny about it featuring all those guys. It was the record company who decided that it should be called "Slash's Snakepit" to sell records instead of just calling it (the) "Snakepit".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:47:30 AM by CheapJon » Logged
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »

I'll add my 2 cents, as this is a discussion I never thought I'd have, and fresh topics regarding GN'R are few and far between.

Tobias helped write songs that all rank towards the bottom of the barrel of GN'R's catalogue(exception maybe Catcher in the Rye), but they are GN'R songs, and I enjoy them nonetheless.

Tobias draws first blood.

Shadow of Your Love is a great tune, but I always considered Back off Bitch as kind of a filler song.
Oh My God is great for what it is. Axl trying something new. Lyrics and vocals are amazing and drive the song. Without them, the music is forgettable on it's own, but still one of the stronger tracks of the post classic lineup era.

Not his fault, but Tobias is also tied to the straw that broke the camels back in regards to the break up of classic GN'R. Gotta deduct some points for that!
Wasn't worth it, because he didn't add much to Sympathy for the Devil.

Gilby stepped into a difficult situation, having to fill the big shoes of Izzy.
At the time, I was disappointed, but always thought it was temporary for whatever reason. Wishful thinking.

Thought he stepped up admirably though. He's a very capable player, and pretty strong writer as well(outside GN'R). Think he could have added nicely to the mix given the chance. Pawnshop Guitars has it's moments, Cure Me or Kill Me, (which I first heard on a sampler that came with the Sega Genesis game Jammit!) and the Dead Flowers cover off the top of my head. Gilby can sing, and has had a more successful/productive career.

Both Snakepit albums are strong musically. I probably prefer 5:00 Somewhere overall.

Never heard Mank Range or SuperNova, probably won't.

Not exactly a clash of titans here, but I may have to give the edge to Tobias for contributing towards some GN'R songs I enjoy.
If I'm starting a band, and have to pick one or the other, I'm taking Gilby, as I believe he's the better writer/player/showman overall.
If Gilby had a hand in writing Beggars and Hangers-On(not sure he does), that would go a long way, as I hold that song in just as high regard as Tobias GN'R contributions.
"Lower" would help too.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:46 PM »

I'll add my 2 cents, as this is a discussion I never thought I'd have, and fresh topics regarding GN'R are few and far between.

What's funny is that the thread was about Finck not being in NIN and it spun into a discussion about former guitarists, and not Slash or Buckethead but fuckin Gilby and Paul.  Grin
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »

Hey we all love Slash. But as we know that the likelihood of him and Axl making up anytime soon is slim to none I'm not gonna' open that can of worms. As to Buckethead. Theres no denying his talent as a lead guitarist. I've not investigated his solo stuff as yet so can't comment. I'm a little glad he's not in the band now as for me it's hard to take seriously a band whos lead guitarist wears a horror mask and a KFC bucket. Guns is a great band and the focus should be on the band and their music, not gimmicks. But hey, thats just me.
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »

And comparing the Snakepit albums is like comparing Appetite to Chinese. The only Snakepit band member on both records is Slash. I think the guitars interweave better on 1st album. But Rods a much better singer so Aint Life Grand is cool too.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »

Enough with the off topic ramblings about the wrong guitarists and shit that's irrelevant to this thread.
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »

Enough with the off topic ramblings about the wrong guitarists and shit that's irrelevant to this thread.

What, the irrelevant thread about Robin whos quit Guns twice, this time round has been gone what 5 or 6 years and has said nothing bout wanting to return? Ok I'll play along.

So besides from the fact that Guns has three awesome guitarists that have great chemistry together in the form of: Richard, Bumble and DJ. Didn't Robin supposedly leave last time cos he got sick of waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released? So why would he hyperthetically want to rejoin and go back to the same or an even worse frustration? He hasn't been in Guns and therefore probably not recorded anything with them for 5 or 6 years. Any new studio album seems a way off yet.

Hey i like Robin and his playing. But why exactly would he go back right now?

It is of course possible that any future album with some material from the Chinese sessions could include playing by Robin. And for that matter Paul, Bucket, Brain and who knows who else.

Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »

Shouldn't this be in the Dead Horse forum anyway? Until he potentially returns he's an ex Gunner or am I wrong?
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »

Shouldn't this be in the Dead Horse forum anyway? Until he potentially returns he's an ex Gunner or am I wrong?
it is in the dead horse section.

What, the irrelevant thread about Robin whos quit Guns twice, this time round has been gone what 5 or 6 years and has said nothing bout wanting to return? Ok I'll play along.

So besides from the fact that Guns has three awesome guitarists that have great chemistry together in the form of: Richard, Bumble and DJ. Didn't Robin supposedly leave last time cos he got sick of waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released? So why would he hyperthetically want to rejoin and go back to the same or an even worse frustration? He hasn't been in Guns and therefore probably not recorded anything with them for 5 or 6 years. Any new studio album seems a way off yet.

Hey i like Robin and his playing. But why exactly would he go back right now?

It is of course possible that any future album with some material from the Chinese sessions could include playing by Robin. And for that matter Paul, Bucket, Brain and who knows who else.

exactly!

Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »

Sorry, my bad. I meant to put shouldn't this be in the Ex Gunners section. Being the case that until or more likely if Robin rejoined, thats what he is. An ex Gunner.

My apaolagies for typing in a hurry and any confusion over what I meant.
axlforever777
Opening Act

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »

I dont think Robin should, I believe DJ Ashba is much better, i saw Robin live and wasnt to thrilled about his solo performance. Id keep the line up as is.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: