Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 01:01:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Death (RIP Chuck 12/13/01)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death (RIP Chuck 12/13/01)  (Read 6832 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: November 19, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »

Death is a lot like Iron Maiden. Every Death album is different, but they all have a distinct sound that is recognizable as Death. Death took up where Possessed left off, adding better guitar work and some of the harshest vocals of the time. It's not a typical, cookie monster death metal grunt, but rather a raspy grunt that eventually evolved into a high pitched shriek. Death didn't have the overwhelming talent of bands like Cynic or the brutality of Deicide, but it had a great combination of both styles that worked well for a long career. Every album is a great album, but requires some effort to get into.

A lot of people have bashed Death because they became well known after Chuck Schuldiner died. They point at stupid details like the cross on the logo not being upside down anymore, the difficulties the band had at keeping members together, and the supposedly Christian lyrics. These guys can go listen to 6 Feet Under or Mortician or whatever crap they like.

If you like brutal death metal, Death's first 4 albums are for you. If you like a progressive touch, their last 3 albums will appeal to you. If you like all good music, get all 7. Like all good music, this stuff takes a while to get used to, but the early albums are still the best way to introduce a n00b to real death metal. Plus, you'll understand where everyone was getting PULL THE PLUUGGGG from when Terry Schaivo was still hooked up.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 09:55:18 PM by Walk » Logged
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 02:03:06 PM »

Downloading a couple of tracks off of "Scream Bloody Gore" now.

Ill let you know what i think, to be honest, ive always struggled to listen to Death Metal, i do like a bit of Venom every now and again though, and Deicide are quite good too.

Thanks for the headsup man!

RichardNixon
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 07:17:33 PM »

Oh God, Death fucking sucks! The band does to...
Jonathan
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 07:22:10 PM »

Downloading a couple of tracks off of "Scream Bloody Gore" now.

Ill let you know what i think, to be honest, ive always struggled to listen to Death Metal, i do like a bit of Venom every now and again though, and Deicide are quite good too.

Thanks for the headsup man!

This sucked really bad and one more thing Venom are NOT death metal.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 07:53:33 PM »

Remember I said that all of the albums are different? Don't judge Death until you've heard at least 2+ songs from each album, since the band went through several style changes. Scream Bloody Gore takes most of the songs from Death demos, and it's really raw. Leprosy is less brutal, but much more polished and technical.

If you like technical death, get Cynic, Gorguts, or Atheist. Death isn't purely technical or brutal, but a balance between the two. Most people either love or hate it. It's something that takes a while to get used to, but it's very good.

Venom are considered the first black metal band, but they're black metal in ideology only. Their sound is much like Motorhead's, and they're similar to many NWOBHM bands. The black metal sound we're famililar with is from the 2nd wave bands like Mayhem. Venom, Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost, Slayer, Bathory, Hellhammer, and a few others are 1st wave bands that had the same beliefs, but very different sounds. Black metal has a very strange history.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 05:56:14 AM »

Black metal has a very strange history.

And a very strange, and very small following

Why do u keep posting these threads? No one cares, no one even listens to this stuff - ur just trying to make urself look like a rebel, well there is a word beginning with 'R' with which people think of you as, but its not rebel.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 07:10:25 AM »

What the fuck's your problem? Stick to the Def Leppard threads and whatever other run of the mill shit you listen to.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 08:50:14 AM »

Why do u keep posting these threads? No one cares, no one even listens to this stuff - ur just trying to make urself look like a rebel, well there is a word beginning with 'R' with which people think of you as, but its not rebel.

Piss off, pop boy.  ok

I've only heard their cover of Judas Priest's 'Painkiller' but it's fucking brilliant. I shall be buying an album soon.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 10:05:19 AM »

I care.  Shocked

I like Walks recomendations, they are not the norm no, and some of the lyrical content of the bands leaves a lot to be desired but i dont just listen to the lyrical content, i listen to the music, the riffs, the energy, the hooks the solos the drums.

Its a complete package man, the lyrical content of a band is all part of the ingredients yes, but there is a lot more to music than what the vocalist is saying.

Ive listened to Rock and Roll and metal played by people with different beliefs to myself but that doesnt tar me with the same brush as them because thats what they believe.

Lets face it, people who believe in anti - semitism, suck! However, some of the music out there made by these people fucking rocks.

And for that, and that alone, i will always read these threads and check out Walk's recommendations because i have found that the bands he does share with us are more often than not very good and worth a listen. Despite their beliefs.

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 05:39:40 PM »

I've only heard their cover of Judas Priest's 'Painkiller' but it's fucking brilliant. I shall be buying an album soon.

Human is probably the best one to start with. It isn't as progressive as the later albums, and it isn't as raw as the early ones. It's their best selling album, and a favorite among hardcore fans as well. It even had a music video made for it! It kind of helped that Death had 2 former Cynic members when this album was recorded.  Wink

The only complaints I've heard with Human are with the cold production and short length, but I was never bothered by it. It's a good, quick death metal album.
hells^angel
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 03:25:10 AM »

...I've only heard two songs of Death...'Spirit Crusher' and 'Voice Of The Soul'...and...in my opinion...they sound good...but not great....  Smiley
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 01:14:50 AM »

You can check out the discography thread for Death album reviews.
hells^angel
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 09:08:37 AM »

ok...I will....Smiley
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 06:56:58 AM »

Fuck off rant rant rant

How fuckin' dare you and who the hell you think are??? Huh
First you think no one listens to this stuff then you insult Walk for no reason.
Go suck on Liam  or some off your wicked hero's, and leave the real deal alone!!

whats real pathetic is that you say this............and you listen to Limp Bizkit rofl

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Jonathan
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 11:28:39 AM »

Fuck off rant rant rant

How fuckin' dare you and who the hell you think are??? Huh
First you think no one listens to this stuff then you insult Walk for no reason.
Go suck on Liam? or some off your wicked hero's, and leave the real deal alone!!

whats real pathetic is that you say this............and you listen to Limp Bizkit rofl

You are doing the same thing, you are insulting Izzy for no reason! everyone are entitled to their own opinion but not their own set of facts, that's it!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 08:05:50 PM »

I didn't mind his saying that no one listens to death metal, because truthfully very few people listen to it. His personal insults no longer bother me, though, since he throws them out so often. I ignore him, and you should ignore him as well, and he'll go away. He can have his own opinion about me, but it doesn't have to appear in every other thread I make. I get the point...

"Never argue with a fool, for you will degrade yourself to his level, and he'll beat you with experience!"  Wink

As for Death (getting back on topic), I recommend Control Denied to hardcore fans. It was a side project of Death, except it's power metal! It's power metal with guts behind it, like Jag Panzer, not like Power Quest. Unfortunately, only one Control Denied album was made.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 04:53:56 PM »

I ignore him, and you should ignore him as well, and he'll go away. He can have his own opinion about me, but it doesn't have to appear in every other thread I make. I get the point...
This is Izzy you're talking about - look how many posts he's made  Wink  Smiley

I'm into Death Metal (as a genre) at the moment, although I'm slacking on getting albums.  I've got Nile and Strapping Young Lad's latest albums.  I like the technical side of it all and the rage can be good to hear if I'm in the mood for it.  And SYL's Alien has a song that sounds like it's from Dark Side Of The Moon!  Megadeth are my favourite metal band and Rust In Peace is my favourite album so you get the idea.

Does anyone else here read Terrorizer and if so should I bother getting it?  I doubt I'd find out much reading Kerrang  no

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 06:12:10 PM »

Does anyone else here read Terrorizer and if so should I bother getting it?

It's alright, though I rarely buy it these days because I find the 8 ? price tag a bit much. I used to buy more magazines around '96-'98, nowadays I get the same stuff from the internet Undecided

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »

Go to sites like metal-rules.com, metal-archives.com, and anus.com. Forums have better recommendations than payed-off magazines. Also, it's best to get the classics first, and not the lastest fad br00tal death metal band.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 09:54:44 PM »

4 years ago, on December 13, 2001, Chuck Schuldiner died. He's making some interesting new music with Dimebag and Lennon now. Pay your respects!  smoking
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: