Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:38:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Tommy Stinson Interviews and Articles thread (If you have one post it here)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tommy Stinson Interviews and Articles thread (If you have one post it here)  (Read 50232 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2004, 03:55:00 AM »

Tommy said that he would be away when the CD would be released, and that he would hear the press release throug CNN or somthing. If Tommy is back on tour in February, then ill guess we`ll see CD then... So.. A announcement should be out before christmas...

This logic amazes me. BTW he said it months ago, so we can't be sure if it's still a valid info.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2004, 05:04:02 AM »

well, we gotta belive in what we got  Tongue

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2004, 02:59:54 PM »

a little updat for our best man!
So tommy use myspace?? Great

Hmmm, myspace sounds familiar.

I guess he and co. had a great laugh @ that Axl page too.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2004, 08:41:29 PM »

Sorry is this has already been posted here..But i found it over at the gnrstrip

Stinson article in Mean Street Magazine...

Tommy Stinson
By Waleed Rashidi

At the barely ripe, eerily young and fiercely impressionable age of 13, Minneapolis-bred musician Tommy Stinson plotted the course of his life thus far, by simply joining as the bassist of his older brother Bob's scrappy punk outfit, The Replacements. Fronted by the now-revered Paul Westerberg and best known as a group whose drunken-blur stage antics generally superceded their surprisingly high degree of musicality, The Replacements' pop and blues-based punk gained national notoriety in the early '80s, paralleling neighboring punk act H?sker D?. Since The Replacements' demise, Stinson formed Bash & Pop, moved to L.A. and performed in Perfect, and then signed aboard the latest incarnation of Guns N' Roses. Although he's still associated with Guns, Stinson has been able to produce his own solo work. His latest, released this past summer, is Village Gorilla Head (Sanctuary). Nearly a quarter-century since his start, Stinson is still creating and producing rock that matters - this time, sans much of the riffraff that enveloped his earliest efforts.

Living in L.A., how much of your songwriting would you say is influenced by your surroundings?
You know, a good part of it is definitely that. I've lived here for 10 years and there's certainly a lot of songs that have been written in that period.

Did you move here for your career?
Mostly it was because I made a record for Warner Bros. and kinda how it was going down, or not going down, I kinda felt like it would work a little better if I was in their face, then I could kind of be around and that was a good part of the reason why I went out. As I got into town, that was really not exactly how it works. Then it all fell into place and I was there.

Where are you living these days?
I live in Burbank. I don't have any problem being (818), none at all.

Was there any resistance in the Guns N' Roses camp in releasing your solo album?
No, it's actually the exact opposite. [Axl Rose] has been real supportive of me and my stuff. He's listened to it all and totally championing me. One reason why is that it keeps me from barking up the tree, his tree, going "What are we doing? What am I doing?" I've been pretty straight up about everything and it works out good.
Everyone out there would really love to hear me talk shit and say, "Yeah, he had me fuckin' tied by the balls, and I decided to fuck him and make my own [record]" but it's really just nonsense. I've talked about it enough where it's like now, I'm done even explaining it in those terms. [Rose] is really supportive of me and I'm totally into doing Guns N' Roses again. We made a great record together and when it comes out, I'll be the first one in line to go tour behind it.
Getting to your songs on Village Gorilla Head, "Couldn't Wait" rocks. What's behind such a propulsive track?
Thank you, you know, it just kind of popped out, one of those things. The beauty of making this record is that I wasn't trying to make a cohesive record. I was trying to write a bunch of songs and each song is it's own little planet, so to speak.

Yeah, the album does seem a bit scatterbrained.
That's the way I like listening to records. I don't like listening to 12 songs that sound very similar to the one radio song, but they're not as good. I like to hear bands take risks and go places that maybe they're not geared for or take chances that they shouldn't take. That's kinda where I come from.

How much of a risk would you say this album is?
There's plenty of risk on it. I'm sure I'm gonna get panned to death on some of this stuff. I made a record I wanted to make and someone decided they liked it enough to put it out, Sanctuary Records, and it's like, cool, that's all I do. If someone can put 'em out, then put 'em out so the rest of the world can check 'em out.

After a quarter-century of playing rock, is there anything that starts to hurt after a while?
Only the business side.
On the web: www.tommystinson.com

View this band's Mean Street info page

http://mag.meanstreet.com/article.php?article_id=305&issue_id=59

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #264 on: December 13, 2004, 10:04:52 AM »

I thinks this hasn't been posted yet, i can't find it in the board so here it goes. If it has already been posted, my excuses!.

Very interesting interview. seems chinese democracy is done, since tommy says in the interview "we made the record". ok

Tommy Stinson
By Waleed Rashidi

At the barely ripe, eerily young and fiercely impressionable age of 13, Minneapolis-bred musician Tommy Stinson plotted the course of his life thus far, by simply joining as the bassist of his older brother Bob's scrappy punk outfit, The Replacements. Fronted by the now-revered Paul Westerberg and best known as a group whose drunken-blur stage antics generally superceded their surprisingly high degree of musicality, The Replacements' pop and blues-based punk gained national notoriety in the early '80s, paralleling neighboring punk act H?sker D?. Since The Replacements' demise, Stinson formed Bash & Pop, moved to L.A. and performed in Perfect, and then signed aboard the latest incarnation of Guns N' Roses. Although he's still associated with Guns, Stinson has been able to produce his own solo work. His latest, released this past summer, is Village Gorilla Head (Sanctuary). Nearly a quarter-century since his start, Stinson is still creating and producing rock that matters - this time, sans much of the riffraff that enveloped his earliest efforts.

Living in L.A., how much of your songwriting would you say is influenced by your surroundings?
You know, a good part of it is definitely that. I've lived here for 10 years and there's certainly a lot of songs that have been written in that period.

Did you move here for your career?
Mostly it was because I made a record for Warner Bros. and kinda how it was going down, or not going down, I kinda felt like it would work a little better if I was in their face, then I could kind of be around and that was a good part of the reason why I went out. As I got into town, that was really not exactly how it works. Then it all fell into place and I was there.

Where are you living these days?
I live in Burbank. I don't have any problem being (818), none at all.

Was there any resistance in the Guns N' Roses camp in releasing your solo album?
No, it's actually the exact opposite. [Axl Rose] has been real supportive of me and my stuff. He's listened to it all and totally championing me. One reason why is that it keeps me from barking up the tree, his tree, going "What are we doing? What am I doing?" I've been pretty straight up about everything and it works out good.
Everyone out there would really love to hear me talk shit and say, "Yeah, he had me fuckin' tied by the balls, and I decided to fuck him and make my own [record]" but it's really just nonsense. I've talked about it enough where it's like now, I'm done even explaining it in those terms. [Rose] is really supportive of me and I'm totally into doing Guns N' Roses again. We made a great record together and when it comes out, I'll be the first one in line to go tour behind it.

Getting to your songs on Village Gorilla Head, "Couldn't Wait" rocks. What's behind such a propulsive track?
Thank you, you know, it just kind of popped out, one of those things. The beauty of making this record is that I wasn't trying to make a cohesive record. I was trying to write a bunch of songs and each song is it's own little planet, so to speak.

Yeah, the album does seem a bit scatterbrained.
That's the way I like listening to records. I don't like listening to 12 songs that sound very similar to the one radio song, but they're not as good. I like to hear bands take risks and go places that maybe they're not geared for or take chances that they shouldn't take. That's kinda where I come from.

How much of a risk would you say this album is?
There's plenty of risk on it. I'm sure I'm gonna get panned to death on some of this stuff. I made a record I wanted to make and someone decided they liked it enough to put it out, Sanctuary Records, and it's like, cool, that's all I do. If someone can put 'em out, then put 'em out so the rest of the world can check 'em out.

After a quarter-century of playing rock, is there anything that starts to hurt after a while?
Only the business side.
On the web: www.tommystinson.com

Link: http://mag.meanstreet.com/article.php?article_id=305&issue_id=59

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #265 on: February 03, 2006, 07:36:53 PM »

Tiny tiny tiny Tommy mention in today's (Friday) Minneapolis Star Tribune.?

Thin to win

A Thin Lizzy cover band called (what else?) Jailbreak, led by Stingray Green's Kent Militzer, won the not-so-coveted prize at First Avenue's 10th annual Cover Song Contest last week: a case of hearty ol' Night Train.? The "wine" was good for at least one tasteless joke about Thin Lizzy's deceased leader:? "Phil Lynott would have loved it."? Plenty of acts deserved to win on originality alone - never mind that it was a cover-band show.? Performing as Perfect Strangers, Kruddler played a set of songs by Tommy Stinson's Perfect and the Rank Strangers.

by Chris Riemenschneider www.startribune.com

The irony and GNR connection is so blatant I can't believe the writer didn't put nightrain and Tommy together.? The perfect strangers name is pretty funny too.?

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: