Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 12:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227852 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Adler got $2.5 million!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adler got $2.5 million!  (Read 15760 times)
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« on: May 29, 2007, 04:31:17 AM »

I read in a book by Bill Bateman that in 1993 the band settled their legal differences with Adler with a $2.5 million out of court payment!!

He only received 1/25th of that sum......
The rest went - elsewhere.....

But then again, most of the book doesn't make much sense......
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 04:59:50 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:41:37 AM »

taxes maybe? hehe. is there really a question here?

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
greendog
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:20:36 AM »

i dont think he even deserved 1/25th of it. i really dont like that guy. sure he was a cool drummer back in the day, but the guys a dick.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:27:40 AM »

Quote from former manager Niven:
"I consider it insane that Steven Adler should have his junkiedom rewarded. There is something fundamentally wrong with a situation in which a junkie expelled from the band before he could destroy both it and himself, hands over to lawyers the money he apparantly retained from his days in Guns N Roses to sue the very people who saved his life".

Quote from Duff:
"I feel sorry for him because he didn't get any of the money we paid him. it all went to the people who made him do this. He's still on junk and I still love him, but he's gonna die. It's just a sad fucking state of affairs".

Source: Bateman, B (1994), "Guns N' Roses", Carlton Books, London.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
greendog
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:32:39 AM »

Quote from Duff:
"It's just a sad fucking state of affairs".

So true. Its pathetic.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:36:12 AM »

And to add a quote from Axl:
"he's been able to live off royalty money, buy a shitload of drugs and hire lawyers to sue me......He's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself damaged".

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
guns_n_roses
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:37:33 AM »

Is there a reason Steven is so fucked up?

"Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
You know I'd like to hurt you
But my conscience always tells me no"
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:39:30 AM »

Ask his Jewish mother!

(SNLesque joke).

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
nyd
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:52:37 AM »

Since 'bringbackadler' has been banned let me speak on his behalf  rofl

Adler was the greatest drummer in GNR EVA!!!!11!!!

Popcorn, the world is ready and waiting for you to make your grand return to GNR!!

Peace!  peace

*bba* [insert spontaneously combust smiley here]
greendog
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 09:04:25 AM »

Popcorn, the world is ready and waiting for you to make your grand return to GNR!!

lol, i will assume you're joking.? peace

but if not... dude, hes drumming sucks now, he cant hold a beat for shit.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:36 AM »

Is there a reason Steven is so fucked up?

Yeah.

Drugs.

Lots of them.

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 11:27:47 AM »

Dude get your facts straight...
greendog
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »

Oh sorry, allow me to rephrase.

He cant hit drums for shit. Nevermind hold a beat.
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 12:32:52 PM »

Oh sorry, allow me to rephrase.

He cant hit drums for shit. Nevermind hold a beat.

hihi I think you need to get a new set of ears...
suicide
VIP

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »

I'm glad all the gunners are still alive. Maybe Steven can't play the drums like Brain, Ferrer or Sorum but he has his own style and he fuckin' rocks on Appetite and Lies!!! People tend to forget those albums when they talk shit about any of the "old" members. Ok, back to the discussion. I heard some Adler's Appetite samples and the drumming is cool (don't like their songs though)
GN'R had to fire Adler, otherwise the guy would have destroyed himself or we'd still be waiting for the Illusion albums to come out. Makes you think if one of the new members is on drugs?!? Just a joke, I hope)
Adler deserved the royalties in my opinion. Not only for his (limited) work on the Illusion albums but for his general contribution to GN'R (albums, videos and tours). 2.5 million is a lot of money but it's not unusual.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 12:46:42 PM »

Considering how much money Guns made on tour and through album sales of AFD, I don't think $2.5 mil is much at all.
acdcUSSR
Rocker

Here Tomorrow...

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 12:54:14 PM »

Makes you think if one of the new members is on drugs?!?

Axl!

You dig, what the fuck I'm saying? Homefuck!?
Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »

I pulled the full quote from Axl's interview:
"We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick! He's been able to live off of that money, buy a shitload of drugs and hire lawyers to sue me."
So is this an additional 2.5 million on top of the 1.5 million that axl gave him?

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »

In one article I read it mentioned that Steven got $2.5 million in back payments plus 15% of the royalties from AFD and Lies.  That is pretty good since  he's not credited as a writer for any of those songs
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 02:08:01 PM »

I pulled the full quote from Axl's interview:
"We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick! He's been able to live off of that money, buy a shitload of drugs and hire lawyers to sue me."
So is this an additional 2.5 million on top of the 1.5 million that axl gave him?

This is 100% true.

Steven Adler admitted this to me in person in 2004 or 2005. Actually he kinda said it while we were talking.

I didn't ask him if it happened... He just mentioned it...

That was when he was sober... Drunk or any other state of mind, it's a whole different Adler...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:10:36 PM by Christos AG » Logged

flicknn
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 02:50:03 PM »

IS THIS INTERVIEW ON YOUTUBE OR ANYTHING ?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 03:14:04 PM »

DEL: Want to talk about another former member of Guns, drummer Steven Adler?

AXL: The misconception is that we kicked him out for the hell of it, and that I was the dictator behind it. The truth is, I probably fought a little harder to keep him in the band, because I wasn't working with him on a daily basis like the other guys were. They grew tired of not being able to get their work done because Steven wasn't capable of it. I've read interviews where he's saying that he's straight. Most of the time he isn't. He's the type of person who wants everything handed to him, and he did get it handed to him. He got it handed to him from me. At one point, in order to keep this band together, it was necessary for me to give him a portion of my publishing rights. That was one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life, but he threw such a fit, saying he wasn't going to stay in the band. We were worried about not being able to record our first album, so I did what I felt I had to do. In the long run I paid very extensively for keeping Steven in Guns N' Roses. I paid $1.5 million by giving him 15% of my publishing off of Appetite For Destruction. He didn't write one goddamn note, but he calls me a selfish dick! He's been able to live off of that money, buy a shitload of drugs and hire lawyers to sue me. If and when he loses the lawsuit he has against us, and he has to pay those lawyers, if he has any money left, it'll be the money that came from Guns N' Roses and myself. At this point I really don't care what happens to Steven Adler, because he's taken himself out of my life, out of my care and concern. I feel bad for him in ways, because he's a real damaged person, but he's making choices to keep himself in that damage. There's nothing we can do at this point. We took him to rehabs, we threatened his drug dealers, we helped him when he slashed his wrists. I even forgave him after he nearly killed my wife. I had to spend a night with her in an intensive-care unit because her heart had stopped thanks to Steven. She was hysterical, and he shot her up with a speedball. She had never done jack shit as far as drugs go, and he shoots her up with a mixture of heroin and cocaine? I kept myself from doing anything to him. I kept the man from being killed by members of her family. I saved him from having to go to court, because her mother wanted him held responsible for his actions. And the sonofabitch turns on me? I mean, yeah, I'm a difficult person to deal with, and I'm a pain in the ass to understand, and I've had my share of problems, but Steven benefited greatly from his involvement with me - more than I did from knowing him. Steven had a lot of fans, but he was a real pain in the ass. I need to keep him in my life for you? F?!k you!

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=11

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »

by the way isn't this a really dead horse?
greendog
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 03:35:30 PM »

by the way isn't this a really dead horse?

thats what i'd go with... no new news going on or anything.

still, its nice to discuss something different for a change  ok
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 03:36:33 PM »

1. ?Drugs are cool.
2. ?Steven Adler was GNR's drummer during the most productive, and most acclaimed period in the band's history.
3. ?2.5 million dollars is shit when you think about how much money his band generated.
4. ?He played the drums and did his part to help that band reach the heights that it did. ?That's more than any other person on this form has done for GNR -- or with their lives in general. ?To call him a junkie burnout makes light of the sacrifice that guy made to create music we all love. ?

And music that Axl continues to live off of to this day.

The rock world's had plenty of casualities. ?If it was easy, anybody could do it. ?The rock lifestyle ain't for pussies. ?That's why we spend our time on internet forums.

Show some respect, be-atches.

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 03:42:07 PM »

Yeah show some respect for the king of cowbell
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 03:47:18 PM »

2.  Steven Adler was GNR's drummer during the most productive, and most acclaimed period in the band's history.
3.  2.5 million dollars is shit when you think about how much money his band generated.

2. The first part is false, GnR released more albums and more music without Adler than they did with him so he wasn't a part of the band's most productive period

3. 2.5 million plus future royalties from AFD and Lies royalties is not shit when you think about Adler not being a credited writer on any of the songs
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »

2.? Steven Adler was GNR's drummer during the most productive, and most acclaimed period in the band's history.
3.? 2.5 million dollars is shit when you think about how much money his band generated.

2. The first part is false, GnR released more albums and more music without Adler than they did with him so he wasn't a part of the band's most productive period

are you sure that AFD n' lies didn't sell more then UYIs and TSI?

live era and GH doesn't count as matt and adler are on both
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 04:19:53 PM »

2.  Steven Adler was GNR's drummer during the most productive, and most acclaimed period in the band's history.
3.  2.5 million dollars is shit when you think about how much money his band generated.

Are we talking productive as in record sales or productive as in creating music?  I was talking about producing music.  What I was saying was the band released more music and more albums without Adler than they did with him
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 04:20:21 PM »

2.? Steven Adler was GNR's drummer during the most productive, and most acclaimed period in the band's history.
3.? 2.5 million dollars is shit when you think about how much money his band generated.

+ adler initially wrote most of the drums for the uyi's...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 04:24:46 PM by Grouse » Logged
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 04:23:30 PM »

I think most of his stuff for UYI was rewritten because I remember reading an interview with him and he was complaining about that.

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »

1.  Drugs are cool.

I won't even bother to comment this.

Depends on how you see things.

2.5 million dollars is NOT shit. He had a second chance, he blew it.

He wouldn't make millions, but he couldn't even handle a band named Adler's Appetite.

4.  He played the drums and did his part to help that band reach the heights that it did.  That's more than any other person on this form has done for GNR -- or with their lives in general.  To call him a junkie burnout makes light of the sacrifice that guy made to create music we all love. 

Unfortunately I can't go into details. But he is a junkie. He can't live without it.

He fucked up 2 versions of Adler's Appetite cause of the drugs.

He is a good guy. But drugs make him a whole different person. A person that fucks himself in every given opportunity.

And music that Axl continues to live off of to this day.

As did Adler. For as long as he could...

The rock world's had plenty of casualities.  If it was easy, anybody could do it.  The rock lifestyle ain't for pussies.  That's why we spend our time on internet forums.

Show some respect, be-atches.

Casualties in our case are the people who weren't strong enough to stop when they had enough.

Most of the people involved in the business keep on doing them. Perfect example the stones. They kept on doing drugs for most parts of their lifes. But they're still alive.

And they're respected by everyone. Unfortunately Adler lost that privillege.

When the drugs control you, you've lost the game.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »

Neither Adler nor Sorum received any writing credits on UYI so obviously neither of them had a great deal to do with the creative process on that album.  If you came up with drum parts but were too fucked up to even record them that doesn't do much good
MikeD
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 11:09:38 PM »

2. Steven Adler was GNR's drummer during the most productive, and most acclaimed period in the band's history.
3. 2.5 million dollars is shit when you think about how much money his band generated.

Neither Adler nor Sorum received any writing credits on UYI so obviously neither of them had a great deal to do with the creative process on that album. If you came up with drum parts but were too fucked up to even record them that doesn't do much good

You may be right, but (with that said) just because they weren't credited doesn't mean doesn't mean they didn't have a great deal to do with the writing process. I'd say Sorum was a part of the band, but Axl apparently didn't in the Live Era credits.

michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 08:37:11 PM »

I do love that argument that he 'wrote most of the drum parts' for UYI. I hate to break this to you, but anyone would have come up with those same parts, it's pretty generic rock drumming for the most part. And if I were Adler I wouldn't admit to anyone I wrote those parts. Every song has what my musician friends and I like to refer as the 'Matt Sorum' fill in almost every slow to mid tempo song on those albums.

If he had written, say, the parts for Lateralus we'd have something to talk about. But there isn't anything so groundbreaking or original drum-wise that you could argue a songwriting contribution for him.
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 03:35:17 AM »

^^that's because matt sorum re-wrote most of it so it would suit his style better...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:39:12 AM by Grouse » Logged
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »

yea i knew about this when it happened.
i also bet you that money is loooooooooooooooong gone.
duffsgal
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2007, 03:06:31 AM »

Yawn another lets talk crap about Steven thread.  I dont think it is anybody's business how much he got in a settlement with GN'R.  That is between him and the four other members.  And please can we drop all the bs about him not being able to play - everyone that has seen him, says he can play.  Watch the vids on You Tube of him in the last year, it is pretty obvious the guy is still a kick ass drummer.

Welcome to the Jungle Baby
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2007, 03:33:11 AM »

The interesting thing about this story is that Addled only got 1/25th of that amount. It is really sad that it was the pressure from lawyers and Addler's mother that made him sue the band....he admitted in court that he was an addict so he wasn't really in control of the situation.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »

I have this to share:

--Steven Adler, 1991 press release on his lawsuit against Guns N Roses.

They told me I had a drug problem, well, who the fuck were they to tell me that? A couple alcoholics and heroin users? Did they take some time in between fucking strippers to decide they were going to throw me out of the band? Doug Goldstein took me to have an opiate blocker, which made me very sick. I told them [Slash & Duff] that I felt sick and couldn't record. Slash told me we had to, because we couldn't waste the money. I said "Money? What about the money we wasted last year [referring to the 1989 Chicago rehearsal/recording sessions, in which only Slash, Duff, and Steven attended] when Izzy was cleaning himself up, and Axl was nowhere to be found? Why was it okay for those guys to waste the money, but not me [in order to] get well?" So anyway, they bring me into the studio and I feel like shit. It took me forever to get the song [Civil War] right, and they got frustrated with me. So next thing I know, Doug has a stack of papers in front of me that I could never fucking read because they were about five inches thick! He's telling me 'sign here, sign there' and telling me I was signing an agreement saying I was on "probation", meaning I was going to detox in time to record, or else. But it turns out, those papers weren't really giving me that chance. So I don't hear a fucking thing from anyone for awhile, then I got these notices saying 'you're out of the band'. Through my lawyers, I discovered that the "probation" papers that Doug had me sign were actually the rights to my partnership and all my royalties, which I was unknowingly signing away! They completely screwed me out of everything, these guys, [who were] my friends, my family. It hurt more than anything. My royalties were from playing, writing, and [use of] my image such as t shirts and shit. When we recorded [Appetite for Destruction], Slash came up with this system where whoever wrote got credit. But then when it came time to actually divide them up, suddenly everybody was getting credit but me. I mean, [for example] Izzy wrote the song "Think About You" by himself before we started playing it, yet Slash, Duff, and Axl were also going to be receiving royalties for it, since they supposedly "added to it". I said, "well what about me? Did I add nothing?" I mean Izzy wrote the fucking song, I thought that's how the writing credits were determined, but the other guys were getting credit for something they didn't write, and I wasn't. Same thing for all the other songs, Axl would get credit for songs such as "Brownstone" [written by Slash and Izzy] and "It's So Easy" [written by Duff and West Arkeen], even though he didn't write anything on them, and the other guys [who didn't write also got credit] too. So why not me? So Axl gave me a portion of his [to compensate for not being included], and my name was put beside the rest of theirs [in the writing credits] and that was that. But now they've screwed me out of those royalties and my other ones too. Two fucking albums that I played on are still selling and they're collecting money from them, and I'm not. Guns N Roses T shirts with my face on them are still selling, and they're collecting money from them, and I'm not. That's what they did to me, people I thought were my friends took it all away and said goodbye as if I never existed. Fuck that! That's why I sue them, and I'm confident the jury will see it my way.

You really know who's Maradona!
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »

Addler also blamed the band for his drug addiction.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: