Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  AFD your view
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD your view  (Read 2887 times)
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« on: December 16, 2004, 09:00:10 AM »

It's one of the best rock-albums from the late 80's and one of the biggest albums in history of rock

It's really defining the essence of all the different musicstyles of rock (around that time) to me

The albums is a good soundwise production and very much the top of the standars around that time,
it has a level of a signature from the 80's soundwise
- and is becomin to basic in todays standards of productipn

I'm listen more to new rock productions than that album, because it's a better sound and many songs are as good and-

cause listening to afd, it's just sometmes feel similar to playin atari-games when you havef pc-games
 (wonder if anyone understood that)

the sound quality on that compared 2 2day, is like comparing 80's vhs pic quality to dvd quality 4me-
- the songs are still good and unique

But i like the album, it has lots of emotions, it brings back memories, it was a good album-
-and is a classic album, i like it

your view on the album:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 12:06:08 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 11:19:53 PM »

I get the atari reference but I disagree. To me the album just comes off as timeless because, while the production quality is fine, it's so raw.
It's one of the most sincere albums of all time. All of the songs on it, they lived. I think it's definitely a landmark in the history of rock music. I mean every song has an amazing guitar riff and Axl gives the best debut of any singer ever in my eyes. It was like he just knew what he was doing right away, no fucking around or waiting to get into a groove. The only songs I think ever sound dated are "think about you" and "out ta get me". They have a real 80's vibe to them.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 06:29:47 PM »

I agree that it's timeless and the atari reference i feel is stupid, it's like saying the 2-D simplistic games back then compared to the wonderful 3-D Games, is what AFD is compared quality wise to the stuff of today.  Music is music fine production has 'improved' but it's all about the music in itself, i prefer listening to older stuff, i even prefer Vinyl to CD i think it sounds soo much better.  I feel the album is excellent and my personal all time favourite, i think you are being real picky about the quality, i feel it only comes into much question when listening to bootlegs, now that is poor sound quality in general despite the bootleg you are listening to containing good songs.
usurper
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:14:06 PM »

I am one of the few people who actually think AFD is not their best album and not that bad but not so good. I prefer the Use your Illusion albums.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 05:13:53 PM »

AFD is one the greastest rock albums of all time and should be in any rock collection to me its all about life on the edge and I love it, It took me a while to truely appreciate the album but even before that I loved it

EEEERRRR Little boy
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 12:14:01 AM »

AFD is in no way like atari games---it's so complex musically....I mean just think of the dual guitar intro to My Michelle.  I think it's a classic, and only a few albums have come close to measure up to it after it's release!  I personally hate "modern rock" at the moment (eg. sum 41/blink 182---they're just carbon copies of copies of copies---ie. they ripped off green day, and green day ripped off the ramones---except they get worse with each copy instead of better). 
The only remote similarity of AFD to atari is that they "invented" a musical style/game system respectively.
I think no one has done it better than AFD---all the songs are freakin brilliant, and amaze me when I look back at them.  Each one could've easily been a rock hit! 
Very few bands I feel are contemporary, even after years of the initial release.  Only the good bands out there have produced sounds that resonate with us, and have a contemporary feel....in my opinion, Rolling Stones albums do not sound dated, some U2 albums as well, and only a hand full others.
Just think about the song, for ex. Mr. Brownstone---it has a simple dancable beat, but unique guitar chords.  I think it sounds very today.
As for a "retro" sound---what do you think Gwen Stefani's new album sounds like?  Very devo/80s no?  Or what about Lenny Kravitz---very 70s rock?  Or what about Linkin Park---cheap rip off of neu-metal/rap that's been around since the early 90s.  Nothing new here!

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 07:54:39 AM »

just sayn the atari refrece is nothing about the music, the music is amazing, masterpiece Smiley it's audio i mean...

the audio quality is not up to standards 4 me anymore, even after they remastering it,

4 x-ample the bridesofdestruction album is hard, good, not as good as afd, but better audio quality

i hope axl's remix sufrace someday... i like listen to it on lp\headset,  peace

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 10:57:48 PM »

I'm sorry but the sound of AFD is timeless! Can't say the same thing about much else. Never mess with perfection, EVER!!

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 12:00:49 AM »

to be the devils advocate, why do they remaster it then...
-instead of leavin it as it are?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: