Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:36:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Baby mammoth discovery unveiled
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baby mammoth discovery unveiled  (Read 2246 times)
Axlfreek
Legend

« on: July 11, 2007, 10:49:41 AM »

A baby mammoth unearthed in the permafrost of north-west Siberia could be the best preserved specimen of its type, scientists have said.

The frozen carcass is to be sent to Japan for detailed study.

The six-month-old female calf was discovered on the Yamal peninsula of Russia and is thought to have died 10,000 years ago.

The animal's trunk and eyes are still intact and some of its fur remains on the body.

In terms of its state of preservation, this is the world's most valuable discovery

Alexei Tikhonov, Russian Academy of Sciences
Mammoths are an extinct member of the elephant family. Adults often possessed long, curved tusks and a coat of long hair.

The 130cm (4ft 3ins) tall, 50kg Siberian specimen dates to the end of the last Ice Age, when the great beasts were vanishing from the planet.

It was discovered by a reindeer herder in May this year. Yuri Khudi stumbled across the carcass near the Yuribei River, in Russia's Yamal-Nenets autonomous district.

Last week, an international delegation of experts convened in the town of Salekhard, near the discovery site, to carry out a preliminary examination of the animal.

"The mammoth has no defects except that its tail was bit off," said Alexei Tikhonov, deputy director of the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences and a member of the delegation.

"In terms of its state of preservation, this is the world's most valuable discovery," he said.

Larry Agenbroad, director of the Mammoth Site of Hot Springs research centre in South Dakota, US, said: "To find a juvenile mammoth in any condition is extremely rare." Dr Agenbroad added that he knew of only three other examples.

Some scientists hold out hope that well preserved sperm or other cells containing viable DNA could be used to resurrect the mammoth.

Despite the inherent difficulties, Dr Agenbroad remains optimistic about the potential for cloning.

"When we got the Jarkov mammoth [found frozen in Taimyr, Siberia, in 1997], the geneticists told me: 'if you can get us good DNA, we'll have a baby mammoth for you in 22 months'," he told BBC News.

That specimen failed to yield DNA of sufficient quality, but some researchers believe it may only be a matter of time until the right find emerges from Siberia.

Bringing mammoths back from the dead could take the form of injecting sperm into the egg of a relative, such as the Asian elephant, to try to create a hybrid.

Alternatively, scientists could attempt to clone a pure mammoth by fusing the nucleus of a mammoth cell with an elephant egg cell stripped of its DNA.

But Dr Agenbroad warned that scientifically valuable Siberian mammoth specimens were being lost to a lucrative trade in ivory, skin, hair and other body parts.

The city of Yakutsk in Russia's far east forms the hub for this trade.

Local people are scouring the Siberian permafrost for remains to sell on, and, according to Dr Agenbroad, more carcasses could be falling into the hands of dealers than are finding their way to scientists.

"These products are primarily for collectors and it is usually illicit," he explained.

"Originally it was for ivory, now it is everything. You can now go on almost any fossil marketing website and find mammoth hair for $50 an inch. It has grown beyond anyone's imagination."

Dr Agenbroad added: "Russia says that any mammoth remains are the property of the Russian government, but nobody really pays attention to that."

The Yamal mammoth is expected to be transferred to Jikei University in Tokyo, Japan, later this year.

A team led by Professor Naoki Suzuki will carry out an extensive study of the carcass, including CT scans of its internal organs.

Mammoths first appeared in the Pliocene Epoch, 4.8 million years ago.

What caused their widespread disappearance at the end of the last Ice Age remains unclear; but climate change, overkill by human hunters, or a combination of both could have been to blame.

One population of mammoths lived on in isolation on Russia's remote Wrangel Island until about 5,000 years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6284214.stm

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »

I think it was at the 1925 annual meeting of the British Paleontological Society that Mastodon steaks were served that came from one found in the Russian permafrost.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 05:42:38 PM »

I think it was at the 1925 annual meeting of the British Paleontological Society that Mastodon steaks were served that came from one found in the Russian permafrost.

now thats what i call aged to perfection  hihi

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »

Cool, i'm really into mammoth's now...anyone wanna make a norwegian mammoth-metal band? peace

hihi

It looks as an elephant.
They eated it? confused
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:04:11 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »

Aw, poor thing.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:02:59 PM »

^It had been dead for 10 or 12 thousand years.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 08:05:34 PM »

Still, it looks like it might've been cute if you ignore the grey, petrified skin and the whole dead thing.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:03:35 PM »

it just baffles me how that little thing has withstood the test of time for all these thousands of years.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
GeraldFord
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:32:05 AM »

When the animal died, people were waiting for Chinese Democracy even then.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: